PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell: Joe Gets Fired after Bowl Game with...

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 07:17 AM
An Auburn, Tennessee, Bama, K State, or A&M type performance?

Not tutor gate, no excuses

I'm buying

Randolph Dupree
12-02-2019, 07:27 AM
Has that ever happened at any program? (In the last 5-10 years)

Churchill
12-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Sell: This thing is obviously not about the coach's performance in any way. It's now appears it's about a weak administration vs strong boosters...IE politics and $$$.

Coursesuper
12-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Sell, the guy is here.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 07:30 AM
Sell: This thing is obviously not about the coach's performance in any way. It's now appears it's about a weak administration vs strong boosters...IE politics and $$$.

Yes but strong boosters are also emotional. If we get curb stomped in the bowl game, I could see a reaction.

BogeyGolfer
12-02-2019, 07:33 AM
Sell: I think Moorehead will be here in 2020 no matter what at this point...

Rex54
12-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Sell because “hardy har hurr durr we’re in a bowl and beat them darn Rebs thats-a goodenuf for me”

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Oh, how soon we forget.....

Rich Rod after we waxed that ass in the Gator Bowl..

msbulldog
12-02-2019, 07:46 AM
The available coaches market will be very limited by that time.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 07:49 AM
The available coaches market will be very limited by that time.

All it takes is 1 right one.

Seriously, I could see it happening if they had the guy they wanted.

Sienfield
12-02-2019, 08:01 AM
All it takes is 1 right one.

Seriously, I could see it happening if they had the guy they wanted.

The only coaches left are the ones nobody wants. It will be too late then.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2019, 08:05 AM
Sell. We're screwed. Thanks Cohen

trojandawg
12-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Sell. Cohen has made his bed now. Both of them are gone next year I hope. I hope the boosters drag both of their asses out. Missed on several good coaches two years ago and will miss on several this year. So more than likely we are stuck with the savant for longer because no one in our administration has what it takes to run a successful football program. That left with Byrne and Stricklin apparently.

Sienfield
12-02-2019, 08:13 AM
What I expect next is OM hires Napier and Napier hires Shoop from us. Talk about screwed.

msudawg1200
12-02-2019, 08:23 AM

Our 52-14 blasting of Michigan in the 2011(2010 season) Gator Bowl got Rich Rod canned.

Dawgface
12-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Sell. Cohen and a split cigar group sealed our fate for 2020.

lefty96
12-02-2019, 08:29 AM
Sell.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Sell. I think it’s a money issue now. Not that we can’t afford to make the change, but we won’t spend the money. Next year by mid season that should change. The stubborn money folks will change their minds.

JoseBrown
12-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Sell. You'll have to drag his Yankee ass outta here now...

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 08:56 AM

I'm buying

Big sell.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Since it's Christmas I'll put it on layaway.

1) Depends on who we face in the bowl game. These spineless boosters are emotional first and rational second. If we get prison raped by a very mediocre team it could get wheels turning.

2) How does ole miss hire for head coach? Again these dumb ass boosters are so worried about ole miss if they hire a splashy coach it could push them to can Joe after a bowl game loss.

3) And here's the fun part: Joe could find a job. Head coach of a G5 school up north. He leaves us high and dry the week before the bowl game.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Sell. I think it?s a money issue now. Not that we can?t afford to make the change, but we won?t spend the money. Next year by mid season that should change. The stubborn money folks will change their minds.

I was told this 6 weeks ago and I got shouted down when I posted it. I was told that we can't reasonably afford it. One year cuts it from just over 9mil to just over 6. There are other issues too. Those also won't be as bad after another year.
It was probably the right move even if it isn't popular. I wouldn't have cried if we had canned him though. Now then, I think it's time to shut up and get behind the program. It will take care of itself one way or another next year. All this whining and bitching won't change it at all. The powers that be aren't as stupid as you people seem to think they are. All it's doing is making Joe's job harder, and it's also making the next guy's job harder if/when Joe is eventually canned. Please just stop. Downward this wasn't aimed at you personally.

hacker
12-02-2019, 09:07 AM
3) And here's the fun part: Joe could find a job. Head coach of a G5 school up north. He leaves us high and dry the week before the bowl game.

Why would he leave for any lesser program? Y'all say he's arrogant, therefore he thinks he's going to win here next year. That'd be like you, the branch manager, leaving your job to go be a janitor.

Let's be real, he's gonna be here in 2020.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Huge sell. He was never getting fired this year sans a loss to Abilene C

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Since it's Christmas I'll put it on layaway.

1) Depends on who we face in the bowl game. These spineless boosters are emotional first and rational second. If we get prison raped by a very mediocre team it could get wheels turning.

2) How does ole miss hire for head coach? Again these dumb ass boosters are so worried about ole miss if they hire a splashy coach it could push them to can Joe after a bowl game loss.

#1. That's hilarious. I always find irony to be funny.
#2. Again, irony. Who is it that's worried about Ole Miss again?
#3. He isn't leaving here for a G5 job. He made it pretty plain he isn't going to leave on his own. He dang sure isn't going to for a lessor job.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Why would he leave for any lesser program? Y'all say he's arrogant, therefore he thinks he's going to win here next year. That'd be like you, the branch manager, leaving your job to go be a janitor.

Let's be real, he's gonna be here in 2020.

If it's true that he doesn't want to be here and he wants back up north then he'll take a G5 job. We'll see. I doubt it but anything is possible. We are in the silly season.

Homedawg
12-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Zero

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 09:17 AM
#1. That's hilarious. I always find irony to be funny.
#2. Again, irony. Who is it that's worried about Ole Miss again?
#3. He isn't leaving here for a G5 job. He made it pretty plain he isn't going to leave on his own. He dang sure isn't going to for a lessor job.

Fair enough.

So, these boosters are not raw emotional nut jobs? It really wouldn't surprise me if a couple of Joe backers get cold feet if we are blown out by a pitiful team that barely made a bowl as well.

Dawgology
12-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Sell.

This AD wouldn't know good football if it jumped up and slapped his ass. He and the boosters are good with average to below average returns and an Egg Bowl win.

Dawgology
12-02-2019, 09:20 AM
I was told this 6 weeks ago and I got shouted down when I posted it. I was told that we can't reasonably afford it. One year cuts it from just over 9mil to just over 6. There are other issues too. Those also won't be as bad after another year.
It was probably the right move even if it isn't popular. I wouldn't have cried if we had canned him though. Now then, I think it's time to shut up and get behind the program. It will take care of itself one way or another next year. All this whining and bitching won't change it at all. The powers that be aren't as stupid as you people seem to think they are. All it's doing is making Joe's job harder, and it's also making the next guy's job harder if/when Joe is eventually canned. Please just stop. Downward this wasn't aimed at you personally.

But we are still paying him 9 million in a one year period to leave if we fire him next year. We pay him 3 mill for his services in 2020 and then 6 mill to can him. Still 9 mill in a year...

hacker
12-02-2019, 09:22 AM
If it's true that he doesn't want to be here and he wants back up north then he'll take a G5 job. We'll see. I doubt it but anything is possible. We are in the silly season.

What part of "this is my team, my program, you're gonna have to drag my yankee ass outta here" makes you think he doesn't want to be here?

The "he doesn't want to be here" stuff is message board conjecture.

Mjoelner34
12-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Sell. Cohen would then have to answer questions as to why he didnt pull the trigger the day after Thanksgiving instead and any answer would make him look bad.

parabrave
12-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Face it he is here till next year.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 09:36 AM
What part of "this is my team, my program, you're gonna have to drag my yankee ass outta here" makes you think he doesn't want to be here?

The "he doesn't want to be here" stuff is message board conjecture.

Maybe. But close friends of his in the sports media said he was not happy here before the Tennessee loss.

That Yankee ass comment was directed at the boosters that probably told him they want his Yankee ass gone. That was a direct hit toward them.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Face it he is here till next year.

6-6 and a third EB victory will get him another one too. Joe's here through 2021. We are going to give him his four year cycle to see if he can get it done. Now that I'm buying in bulk.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 10:00 AM
But we are still paying him 9 million in a one year period to leave if we fire him next year. We pay him 3 mill for his services in 2020 and then 6 mill to can him. Still 9 mill in a year...

Yes, but we wouldn't be paying another coach at the same time. We wouldn't pay it all in one year. We would be paying it as stipulated in the contract. Also, if the rumors are true about an extension (and remember how accurate rumors have been here the last few months) other things could have changed in the contract.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Maybe. But close friends of his in the sports media said he was not happy here before the Tennessee loss.

That Yankee ass comment was directed at the boosters that probably told him they want his Yankee ass gone. That was a direct hit toward them.

I think it was aimed at our internet fan base as well.

AROB44
12-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Lots of folks on here that are real quick to spend other people's money. Then there is the "Seal" money. No one on here has any idea how that works. Shotgun says we have plenty of money. But maybe we can't use that since it is essentially University money. Unless you are going to pony up big time $$$, then quit bitching about others that won't as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Lots of folks on here that are real quick to spend other people's money. Then there is the "Seal" money. No one on here has any idea how that works. Shotgun says we have plenty of money. But maybe we can't use that since it is essentially University money. Unless you are going to pony up big time $$$, then quit bitching about others that won't as well.

Are you saying we gave a coach a buyout that we can't afford to pay out?

How embarrassing is that?

bluelightstar
12-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Sell. Although a bad bowl game showing is going to make 2020 the most toxic year in quite some time for MSU football.

sandjunky
12-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Hell I’ll buy
We lose something like 45-7 and .....people will go bonkers

BHildreth3
12-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Sell.

We need more and more young $ guys. The old guys with money still think it's great to JUST beat Ole Miss. Even if we lose in the bowl game, which we will, "they" will still say - "Welllllll, at least we beat Ole Miss. When I was 4, they beat our ass every year, blah blah".

Dawgface
12-02-2019, 10:31 AM
6-6 and a third EB victory will get him another one too. Joe's here through 2021. We are going to give him his four year cycle to see if he can get it done. Now that I'm buying in bulk.

Highly possible....

DownwardDawg
12-02-2019, 10:33 AM

No problem Liverpool, and I can't argue with your post. I'm more than unhappy, I'm pissed, but I'm going to shut up now and hope for the best. It's all I can do as a fan at this point.

KOdawg1
12-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Are we playing Ole Miss in the bowl game? If not, sell bc OM is all that matters apparently

Really Clark?
12-02-2019, 10:40 AM

You got shouted down because we have the money, if they choose to use it. And it wouldn?t hurt us. But you have to understand if they are angling to keep a guy, using the financial excuse is a way to deflect from actually pulling the trigger. UM people have consistently stated they didn?t have the money or want spend to buyout Luke and staff this year...until they decided they wanted to. Then it was no problem and took them less 48 hours to get it done. Ours was already in place

yjnkdawg
12-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Nope, Sell! We kept the Egg Bowl Trophy and that appears that is sufficient (moving our program forward I guess :() for our administration and some of our boosters right now.

OLJWales
12-02-2019, 10:44 AM
I'd be interested to know how many cigar boys we have that actually have enough legit pull to influence athletic decisions. Would love to be a fly on the wall during the "board meeting " counting the yays and nays.

Maroons
12-02-2019, 10:48 AM

He could be unhappy here but also be so stubborn that he doesn't want to leave.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 10:52 AM
He could be unhappy here but also be so stubborn that he doesn't want to leave.

I think he's going to obsess over his offense not working against SEC defenses not named Arkansas and Kentucky. He will continue to hit that square peg in the round hole. He may not be happy here but he's not accepting failure. I expect more frustration next year if he doesn't make some serious philosophical changes to the way he coaches and conceives his offensive identity.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Guys,I have reached the 5th stage of grief: acceptance.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Yeah, me too. I'm getting there. I've about convinced myself that ole miss is going to screw the pooch on their big hire, we win the bowl game and look much improved on both sides of the ball next season. It beats the hell outta wallowing in misery.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Yeah, me too. I'm getting there. I've about convinced myself that ole miss is going to screw the pooch on their big hire, we win the bowl game and look much improved on both sides of the ball next season. It beats the hell outta wallowing in misery.

Yep, nothing is gonna change for us in near future, so might as well hope for the best.

parabrave
12-02-2019, 11:08 AM
I think it was aimed at our internet fan base as well.

Yep it was. He needs to take Mulls advice and STAY OFF the message boards. Hell even Paul said that

Cooterpoot
12-02-2019, 11:10 AM
He’s not getting fired unless he’s banging somebody other than his old lady.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Hmmmm. Anyone know any really hot 50 year olds that love MSU?

hacker
12-02-2019, 11:15 AM

The mental images conjured by this post ��

Bothrops
12-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Big sell

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Yep it was. He needs to take Mulls advice and STAY OFF the message boards. Hell even Paul said that

Let's be real here. If your head coach is a thin skinned loudmouth obsessed with message board criticism that's a recipe for some toxic shit.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 11:20 AM
You got shouted down because we have the money, if they choose to use it. And it wouldn?t hurt us. But you have to understand if they are angling to keep a guy, using the financial excuse is a way to deflect from actually pulling the trigger. UM people have consistently stated they didn?t have the money or want spend to buyout Luke and staff this year...until they decided they wanted to. Then it was no problem and took them less 48 hours to get it done. Ours was already in place

Given the tone of the conversation when I was told that, let's just say you are way off base and leave it at that.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Probably but in this day and age you kind of need to know what's being said. It WILL be used in recruiting and if you don't have an answer ready when a recruit asks you about it...………………..

Really Clark?
12-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Given the tone of the conversation when I was told that, let's just say you are way off base and leave it at that.

No I’m not, heck the published financials show how much money the athletic department has been in the black over the years. That has nothing to do with our other resources. But you will argue it anyway, just like UM insiders were constantly told they didn’t have the money for that big of a buyout, took them less than 2 days

gtowndawg
12-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Same here. I've accepted my role.

https://i.ibb.co/2WxkbdD/kicking-rocks.jpg

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 11:25 AM
Probably but in this day and age you kind of need to know what's being said. It WILL be used in recruiting and if you don't have an answer ready when a recruit asks you about it...………………..

Yeah, but I think he's taking the criticism VERY personal. It's more than just some recruiting rumors to watch out for.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but I think he's taking the criticism VERY personal. It's more than just some recruiting rumors to watch out for.

Belichick says "don't believe the hype and don't listen to the noise". Joe should probably take this advice.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:28 AM
No I’m not, heck the published financials show how much money the athletic department has been in the black over the years. That has nothing to do with our other resources. But you will argue it anyway, just like UM insiders were constantly told they didn’t have the money for that big of a buyout, took them less than 2 days

Exactly. The support AND the resources were there, the admin wouldn't pull the trigger.

Cowbell
12-02-2019, 11:36 AM
I don’t believe for a minute that this was aimed at the Internet message boards. There was a real fire and he knew about it.
And the saddest part of it all is our whole fan base is being lied to about it now. I don’t mind keeping the guy and I’m not happy about it but I dang sure don’t wanna be lied to about it by our administration.

Indndawg
12-02-2019, 11:36 AM

I'm buying

Not sure if there's a presedence for this

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 11:41 AM
The only way this remotely happens if it's a complete shit show against a terrible team 50 something to 10-17 something beat down. And...and...Joe just looks like a lost puppy with hallow excuses in post game presser. As emotional as some of our big boosters are they may consider it too humiliating after giving him the green light and want a do-over while there's still a window to hire a better coach. But the odds of this happening are really slim.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:46 AM
I don’t believe for a minute that this was aimed at the Internet message boards. There was a real fire and he knew about it.
And the saddest part of it all is our whole fan base is being lied to about it now. I don’t mind keeping the guy and I’m not happy about it but I dang sure don’t wanna be lied to about it by our administration.

Agree completely and this is what bothers me the most. It's why i've reached the acceptance stage. It's sad and tragic.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Yep. Our Virginia Slims just don't want to be accountable for everyone knowing they only care about beating Northern Miss. Although everyone does now anyway. Until their influence in our program is gone, there's no point in emotionally investing in MSU football. As far as those calling the shots are concerned, our ceiling is 6-7 wins and routine doormat for the SEC elites.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Sell.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Same here. I've accepted my role.

https://i.ibb.co/2WxkbdD/kicking-rocks.jpg

Love the pic! Rep Given!

gtowndawg
12-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Love the pic! Rep Given!

Might as well have fun with it as this point.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Might as well have fun with it as this point.

Yep. Laughter is always the best medicine!

Gordon Gekko
12-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Exactly. The support AND the resources were there, the admin wouldn't pull the trigger.

If the admin had the support and resources why would they not go through with it? They had already negotiated the buy out, it would have been easy.

I don?t believe for a minute that this was aimed at the Internet message boards. There was a real fire and he knew about it.
And the saddest part of it all is our whole fan base is being lied to about it now. I don?t mind keeping the guy and I?m not happy about it but I dang sure don?t wanna be lied to about it by our administration.

Of course he knew about it. He had already negotiated the buy out prior to the egg bowl!

DeputyDawg94
12-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Sell. Not only does the admin not care about football, but here won?t be any good coaches left of pick from.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Sell. Not only does the admin not care about football, but here won?t be any good coaches left of pick from.

Not necessarily. Let's not forget that a year ago Manny Diaz accepted the Temple HC job on December 13 only to leave for Miami on December 30.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Not necessarily. Let's not forget that a year ago Manny Diaz accepted the Temple HC job on December 13 only to leave for Miami on December 30.

If Joe is offered the Boston College job for an equivalent salary he's gone.