PDA

View Full Version : Luke + McIntyre + RichRod

Walkerhill
12-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Luke + McIntyre + RichRod was as good as they can do. Paying $17M to get rid of them for what will end up being an equivalent or worse staff is asinine.

Luke seemed to be doing a pretty good job in an executive type role and had recruited good assistants and was letting them work, Ole Miss improved in every phase visibly from the Memphis game through the end of the year.

On the strength of the Egg Bowl showing, on a neutral field they beat us despite having less talent.

If they end up with Norvell, they will be exchanging a competent staff with proven SEC results for an unknown quantity from a joke conference who inherited a stable situation and has never done a rebuild. Trying it for the first time in the SEC should be good watching.

My opinion - they were going up and we were dropping down and this may buy us some more time. We have completely wasted this golden period of advantage while we had a winning program and they were on probation.

Just goes to show you how your emotions can lead to bad decision making.

PS - this is not a defense of keeping Moorhead. He is the opposite case. He inherited a great foundation despite his recent protestations and mismanaged out of stubborn impracticality. He still has the same issue to address as the first day he stepped on campus - it is not his offense but his massive prideful ego. Maybe out of some sense of fairness he gets another year but I am not optimistic we will not be sitting at 6 wins with multiple embarrassing first quarter blowouts again next year.

defiantdog
12-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Do we know if they're letting rich rod and McIntyre go as well?

Jack Lambert
12-01-2019, 10:27 PM

Exactly luke might have hired his own replacement.

Walkerhill
12-01-2019, 10:27 PM
If the Norvell rumor is true, you have to assume at least RichRod would be cut loose.

It seems pretty rare for there to be much holdover staff, but McIntyre would seem to be a smart keeper.

Walkerhill
12-01-2019, 10:28 PM
I see that angle now. That would be an interesting play, just promoting one of them.

parabrave
12-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Exactly luke might have hired his own replacement.

Naw they're really going to screw us an hire that up and comer, Mark Hudspeth.

defiantdog
12-01-2019, 10:33 PM
If the Norvell rumor is true, you have to assume at least RichRod would be cut loose.

It seems pretty rare for there to be much holdover staff, but McIntyre would seem to be a smart keeper.

Rich Rod and McIntyre had some big buy outs as well..... Financially, not a smart move to buy them all out.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Luke + McIntyre + RichRod was as good as they can do. Paying $17M to get rid of them for what will end up being an equivalent or worse staff is asinine.

Luke seemed to be doing a pretty good job in an executive type role and had recruited good assistants and was letting them work, Ole Miss improved in every phase visibly from the Memphis game through the end of the year.

On the strength of the Egg Bowl showing, on a neutral field they beat us despite having less talent.

If they end up with Norvell, they will be exchanging a competent staff with proven SEC results for an unknown quantity from a joke conference who inherited a stable situation and has never done a rebuild. Trying it for the first time in the SEC should be good watching.

My opinion - they were going up and we were dropping down and this may buy us some more time. We have completely wasted this golden period of advantage while we had a winning program and they were on probation.

Just goes to show you how your emotions can lead to bad decision making.

PS - this is not a defense of keeping Moorhead. He is the opposite case. He inherited a great foundation despite his recent protestations and mismanaged out of stubborn impracticality. He still has the same issue to address as the first day he stepped on campus - it is not his offense but his massive prideful ego. Maybe out of some sense of fairness he gets another year but I am not optimistic we will not be sitting at 6 wins with multiple embarrassing first quarter blowouts again next year.

I actually agree with this

The problem for them though, as I alluded to earlier, is that the staff they had wasn't sustainable. They wouldn't have been able to keep Rich Rod and Mac under Luke.

So in the end, if Luke is the 3rd best coach on staff then he can't be the head coach.

I agree, if they hire Norvell, they are trading in experience and past power 5 success for inexperience and no power 5 success.

If they hire Rich Rod, that's a step up from Luke but they may lose Mac.

Either way, the had to do something because their coaching staff structure wasn't sustainable. Again, CEO head coaches aren't sustainable in college football. Thus your head guy has to be a coordinator of sorts on one side of the ball.

Watch what happen to Coach O once his assistants start leaving.

ScottH
12-01-2019, 10:42 PM
According to my one college football coaching friend, MacIntyre (sp?) is the best coach on campus.

msstatelp1
12-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Appears so. I've heard $15M for Luke and staff buyouts but $17M could be correct. I think Luke's buyout was about $7M.

Walkerhill
12-01-2019, 10:44 PM
I actually agree with this

The problem for them though, as I alluded to earlier, is that the staff they had wasn't sustainable. They wouldn't have been able to keep Rich Rod and Mac under Luke.

So in the end, if Luke is the 3rd best coach on staff then he can't be the head coach.

I agree, if they hire Norvell, they are trading in experience and past power 5 success for inexperience and no power 5 success.

If they hire Rich Rod, that's a step up from Luke but they may lose Mac.

Either way, the had to do something because their coaching staff structure wasn't sustainable. Again, CEO head coaches aren't sustainable in college football. Thus your head guy has to be a coordinator of sorts on one side of the ball.

Watch what happen to Coach O once his assistants start leaving.

I am really not so sure of that. RichRod had mixed success at Michigan and Arizona and got himself embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal on top.

Macintyre had an even more dubious incident, blocking the phone number of the girlfriend of one of his assistant coaches who was trying to report domestic abuse to him. Macintyre ignored it and promoted him to defensive play caller, then it all became public and the assistant coach was actually convicted. Bad look in the ‘me too’ real.

These dudes were an Ole Miss dream. Fratty enough to appreciate Ole Miss and too toxic to get a second shot as a head coach. And really good at their jobs.

Where else where they going to go? State has dodged a bullet here, imo.

maroonmania
12-01-2019, 11:02 PM

Well, it seems to be working at LSU with Eddie O. But, no doubt, LSU is in a much better financial situation to sustain that type of deal than UM.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Well, it seems to be working at LSU with Eddie O. But, no doubt, LSU is in a much better financial situation to sustain that type of deal than UM.

I won't work at LSU once the awesome assistants move on. They'll have to continue to make top notch assistant hires.

Todd4State
12-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Appears so. I've heard $15M for Luke and staff buyouts but $17M could be correct. I think Luke's buyout was about $7M.

I bet they end up hiring MacIntyre. They still have to have someone that will play with their Network.

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2019, 08:47 AM
First thing, I find it interesting no State fans are mentioning Norvells “issues” now that OMs job is open. It’s just wringing of hands over the possibility. .

However, know this. 1. The Memphis program is currently set up to make Norvell a successful coach for at least a few years. At least. Norvell makes $2.6M. Memphis will not let Norvell go easily and sure as hell not to OM. Memphis will fight for him. HouSton is paying $3.7 for their coach. Memphis will too. Therefore OM will have to pay a premium to get Norvell...$5-6M. Assuming Norvell is even interested and FSU doesn’t outbid OM and of OM can even pay $17m in buyout and $6M for a coach.

hacker
12-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Oh man wouldn't it be wild if they hired Hud out from under us just like Kermit

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
12-02-2019, 08:58 AM
First thing, I find it interesting no State fans are mentioning Norvells ?issues? now that OMs job is open. It?s just wringing of hands over the possibility. .

However, know this. 1. The Memphis program is currently set up to make Norvell a successful coach for at least a few years. At least. Norvell makes $2.6M. Memphis will not let Norvell go easily and sure as hell not to OM. Memphis will fight for him. HouSton is paying $3.7 for their coach. Memphis will too. Therefore OM will have to pay a premium to get Norvell...$5-6M. Assuming Norvell is even interested and FSU doesn?t outbid OM and of OM can even pay $17m in buyout and $6M for a coach.
Jeffery Wright formerly from rebelgrove but now in Memphis talk radio said Memphis could pay up to $3.5 million and OM is willing to pay in the high 4?s

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Jeffery Wright formerly from rebelgrove but now in Memphis y’all radio said Memphis could pay up to $3.5 million and OM is willing to pay in the high 4’s

Interesting. Thanks.

Coursesuper
12-02-2019, 09:11 AM
First thing, I find it interesting no State fans are mentioning Norvells “issues” now that OMs job is open. It’s just wringing of hands over the possibility. .

However, know this. 1. The Memphis program is currently set up to make Norvell a successful coach for at least a few years. At least. Norvell makes $2.6M. Memphis will not let Norvell go easily and sure as hell not to OM. Memphis will fight for him. HouSton is paying $3.7 for their coach. Memphis will too. Therefore OM will have to pay a premium to get Norvell...$5-6M. Assuming Norvell is even interested and FSU doesn’t outbid OM and of OM can even pay $17m in buyout and $6M for a coach.

They have all the money they need, they have one booster who is single that can and is willing to foot the bill.

Turfdawg67
12-02-2019, 10:05 AM
I won't work at LSU once the awesome assistants move on. They'll have to continue to make top notch assistant hires.

Are they asking you to? Man, you should go!

yjnkdawg
12-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Let's see how much of a drop off it is when Burrow is gone.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Let's see how much of a drop off it is when Burrow is gone.

It'll be small because they'll just pick up another grad transfer. Jake Bentley come on down.

TheLostDawg
12-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Jeffery Wright formerly from rebelgrove but now in Memphis talk radio said Memphis could pay up to $3.5 million and OM is willing to pay in the high 4?s

Yeah but how much is Arkansas willing to pay. They are in the hunt as well

Todd4State
12-02-2019, 01:56 PM
It'll be small because they'll just pick up another grad transfer. Jake Bentley come on down.

I don't know about that. I think Burrow is a generational player. I also want to see if Edwards-Helaire goes pro or not.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-02-2019, 02:11 PM
RichRod had mixed success at Michigan and Arizona and got himself embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal on top.

Macintyre had an even more dubious incident, blocking the phone number of the girlfriend of one of his assistant coaches who was trying to report domestic abuse to him. Macintyre ignored it and promoted him to defensive play caller, then it all became public and the assistant coach was actually convicted. Bad look in the ?me too? real. ....

But they going to hire Norvell? Don't he have baggage? OM doesn't seem to care about that.

Mobile Bay
12-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Why would somebody report domestic abuse to a football coach? That's like letting the county sheriff call plays.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Macintyre named interim head coach.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
12-02-2019, 04:09 PM

I have no clue. I’ve heard that they want Kiffin

WPS
12-02-2019, 04:27 PM

The rumor is we offered Matt Campbell $7 million per year but he turned it down.

The number out there for Kiffin is more like $3.75 million. But Jerry Jones has agreed to pony up a large pool for assistants no matter who the hire is.

NCDawg
12-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Rich Rod and McIntyre had some big buy outs as well..... Financially, not a smart move to buy them all out.

Probably not, but they are intent of having football success and if order to do that you can't just keep a mediocre coach. Appaently they will do what's necessary.

Walkerhill
12-02-2019, 06:51 PM
I know it is odd. Sounds like an extortion attempt of some kind.

But to respond by blocking the caller and promoting the guy, only to have him arrested and convicted, is a super bad look. That plus his middling record make him untouchable as a had coach now, imo. Reward not worth the risk. Coordinator is a different proposition - not the face of the program.

You can ‘rehabilitate’ and get away with the hanky panky stuff and even cheating, but not having a public role in one of these toxic domestic abuse or sex assault stories.