PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'll throw down my gauntlet

Todd4State
12-01-2019, 05:17 PM
I didn't spread rumors or anything like that. I don't have my name on a building. I go to the games and am in the Bulldog Club.

Here is the truth about things. Joe's biggest accomplishment is to somehow manage to split the fanbase and MSU family after a top five Egg Bowl win. Let that sink in for a minute.

I'm not going to even get into Boston College right now I'm just going to assume that he's coming back. And because of the fact that he decided to go all Spartacus on us for having the audacity to expect that our team line up properly and not get down by 21 in the first five.....three minutes of a game he has made it a WHOLE LOT harder for him to come back in 2021 and a lot harder on Cohen. Had he been "We had a great hard fought win tonight in what will be a very memorable Egg Bowl which is great for our school. However, we finished 6-6 and we have a lot of things to improve upon. We're going to use our 10th straight bowl practice sessions to begin to improve those things and take a hard look at our program to reach our full potential as a program and be the very best that we can be. I think this win can be a building block for that."

Instead we get "I'm the coach and you're going to have to drag my Yankee ass out of here and if you don't like it go kick rocks".

Had he responded somewhat the first way I demonstrated I would guess that maybe something like an 8 win...maybe even 7 win season might win or start to win me back. But the way he acted I think it's going to take a 1999 type season to win me back.

And then for Cohen to not only bring him back- which I would have been maybe OK with but to EXTEND the guy?

At some point MSU is going to have to stop attacking the fans and start to mend fences. If they don't- we will be looking for a new AD.

What MSU just did to us this year would be like me going to a restaurant not having water, the waiter being rude to me, and the meal average- and then the restaurant telling me to go kick rocks.

Here's what I think will happen. Joe will be back. He will continue to piss off people, look disorganized, call our fans out while Cohen sits idly by....but by that time even more boosters will be upset and the ones that were blindsided will not be blindsided the second time. They're not millionaires because they're idiots so Cohen has used that mulligan. And that will be the end of Joe next year. Really the only way to unite the fans at this point is to get rid of Joe and maybe even Cohen. Personally I think they will force Cohen to decide between Joe or they both go down together.

As far as using the Egg Bowl as a barometer. I think it's a little complicated. But here's my stance on that. Ole Miss is our rival. I'm not going to act like they aren't because it's silly. The Egg Bowl will always be the biggest football game in Mississippi and we should absolutely continue to have a large (not all encompassing) focus on winning that game. Winning the Egg Bowl should be one goal but not the only one. We can win the Sugar Bowl, the SEC and the Egg Bowl in the same year and no one is going to complain about that.

But looking at the recent history it really shouldn't be the end all be all barometer. We are 16-13 since the Egg Bowl returned in 1991. Since Felker became the coach the series is 17-17. Here are the Egg Bowl results since 2009:

2009- MSU won
2010- MSU won
2011- MSU won
2012- Ole Miss won
2013- MSU won
2014- Ole Miss won with players that they paid for.
2015- Ole Miss won with players that they paid for.
2016- Nick Fitzgerald won.
2017- Ole Miss was allowed to hurt our QB and played dirty the entire game and barely won.
2018- MSU won
2019- Piss and Miss

So, great news guys. We typically win barring highly unusual circumstances. Like they're cheating the ass off at an obscene level or they intentionally hurt our QB. Even Sylvester Croom was able to manage to go 2-3 against them. So basing whether a coach should come back or not based on the Egg Bowl is honestly like basing whether we should bring a coach back based on beating Kentucky. Food for thought next year cigar boys because yes, I do think there is a decent chance we could win again- never really know what will happen in a year- but putting it out there in the event we beat them again.

Going to go to the store to buy me some Virginia Slims.

Really Clark?
12-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Great post Todd!!

dantheman4248
12-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Here's the better restaurant analogy I heard. It's like going to that place that everyone in the family hates because it has meh service and meh food. Except grandpa loves it and he's the head of the family. We let one person out of 12 dictate the meal because he's way more important than the rest. He doesn't even pay for everyone. That's what it's like.

Commercecomet24
12-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Well said, Todd.

AROB44
12-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Does his contract call for an automatic extension? Just asking since I thought Dan's did at first.

Lord McBuckethead
12-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Well due to our stupid ass state laws on contract lengths (which protects us from doing something stupid) you either extend or fire the guy. By not extending, you open up a gigantic issue with recruiting. So, yes you pretty much have to extend.

R2Dawg
12-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Well said Todd. Your paragraph on how he should have responded is right on. I said earlier, that his press conference was grounds for firing. That was beyond unprofessional and he put himself as always above MSU. He is not for MSU, he is for Joe.

I'd like to see an article showing Joe how he should have handled the press conference. f he is ever going to grow up and be an SEC HC, the time to start is now especially if he is coming back.

timotheus
12-01-2019, 08:13 PM
This is so embarrassing.

bobtail bob
12-01-2019, 08:16 PM
true Todd. He has single handily divided our fan base an intimidated our administration . He was right on one thing , this is his program. He's calling the shots now.