PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts - Now that It's Over

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Barring a late pretending to urinate penalty by Boston College that could give us new life, it looks like JoMo is here for 2020.

With that acceptance, here are some thoughts about where we stand & what things look like going forward.

1. I apologize for my Hotty Toddy post. It was obviously a sarcastic post in an effort to show the magnitude in which I wanted a coaching change but just like all of you, I leaped in the air with joy when the kick went wide right. That being said, however, it was wrong. No MSU fan should ever cheer for the opposition and I will never post anything like that again.

2. MSU has an ENORMOUS opportunity right now by keeping Joe. While I personally think we would've been better off without him, there is an enormous opportunity IF, IF, IF ,IF , IF, IF, IF he can get his shit together. With Ole Miss keeping Luke and starting the season next year with Baylor, Auburn, LSU, Bama, and Florida in their first 7 games, they are staring at a 2-5 start and firing Luke before their bye week and playing A&M. That means, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF Joe can get his shit together, we'll have unique opportunity to dominate in-state recruiting this year and next year with there being 3 95+ rated WR recruits in the state. With OM's ground and pound offense with Plumlee, we should be able to win those battles. Bama, LSU, & Auburn will obviously be our biggest threats but if we could land 2 of the 3, that would go a long long way in helping Joe's offense. Joe needs to get it done on the recruiting trail RIGHT NOW

3. Ole Miss is in big trouble. They have a lame duck head coach that is slated to be fired after a 2-5 start next season &, if Corral transfers, I'm not sure what their plan B is on offense. Bob Shoop showed everyone the game plan in the Egg Bowl. Additionally, if Plumlee plays baseball, I'm not sure how he improve much & that's not even considering if they're coordinators will stick around.

4. It's hard to not be impressed with the progression of the young guys on our DL this season. Lovett, Crumedy, & Pickering appear to be very very solid going forward.

5. I think Dantzler goes pro & Willy and Kylin return. With game film vs the blue bloods next season (He didn't play against them this year) Willy can really up his draft stock into the top 2 rounds. As for Kylin, I'm not terribly sure how much his draft stock will improve by coming back, but the length of his NFL career could be dramatically improved by progressing in pass blocking & even developing some versatility on special teams. Think about how much special teams versatility helped Boobie.

6. I agree with the poster that said we shouldn't demand or ask Joe to do anything with the staff. That should be up to him and we need to learn if he's the guy next year. We shouldn't throw him a life raft by demanding things. Let's see if he can figure it out on his own.

7. My expectations for MSU are simple. Be a consistent top 25 team. Not that we necessarily have to end the season there, but we have to consistently be in that mix with our best teams rising close to or in the top 10. That's my expectations for this program & this season we didn't reach those. As for 2020, I don't like putting win/loss demands on a coach because as always, it depends on the circumstances. However, I'm expecting AT MINIMUM 7-5. If he goes 6-6, the program must clearly be on an upwards trajectory, a few of the losses that made him 6-6 must have been close heart breakers, and must've at least made LSU, Auburn, & Bama break a sweat against us.

8. Tutor Gate if over!!! Don't ever let that crap happen again. Brutal selfishness by 10 players almost cost a man his job and cost the school wins and potentially millions of dollars.

9. The bowl game is ginormous for Joe. He has to change the narrative ASAP to have a chance at surviving next season. He needs to pour his soul into these 15 practices for the bowl game & go beat someone's ass. Would he even be in this situation right now if he would've beaten Iowa last year? One could argue that it wouldn't be quite as bad.

10. I hope this season popped Joe's cherry about what SEC football is all about. I remember a story recently about how this past Spring Joe was sipping on a beverage around someone that post, got a commitment from a HS player, & said "got another one. that was easy." Well, Joe, SEC coaching ain't so easy is it? See I don't think Joe realized the grind, time, & absolute savage demeanor in the SEC. You've got to be locked in as a coaching staff with 110% effort 365 days a year. It's just what it takes. At the press conference Joe said he was ready for it. Well, Joe, let's 17ing go. No more excuses. Get your ass out there, sign good players, flip good players, & let's 17ing go. No more learning curve. That's over and it's now or never.

11. Lastly, in regards to the decision makers at MSU: I care more about getting it right than I do about being right. I hope you guys are right. I don't think you are, but I just want to win. Win and you won't hear a damn peep from me

12. I realize most are frustrated with yesterday, but look at things from 30K feet: we've been to 10 straight bowl games. That's 10 straight years that the bottom hasn't fallen out of the program. While I know everyone is frustrated that we aren't taking that next step, we are building something in terms of history & legacy. We are building a resume that will make our children forget about he failures of the past. You know how all those old crusty MSU fans & boosters talk about how a bowl game and beating OM is all that matters? Well, that thinking is slowly going away. It may have won the day with keeping Joe, but it's slowly drifting away and becoming a distant memory. Let's keep on keeping on and make sure that cancerous way of thinking never infects this fan base ever again.

Hail State!!!

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Some excellent points. I'm not on the JOMO bandwagon. But I do want to win. I agree that he has got to recruit well. We have to get more speed. Joe needs to install a few plays on offense that rely on physicality more than skill. This is just to keep a mindset of toughness. We have lost that tough and physical mindset, and we have to get it back. You have to show your players that you expect and appreciate toughness. I hope/pray that Joe has learned something in these two years. I want to win.

runwildjerious
12-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Many good points.

But the end remains the same. He cannot compete against decent SEC teams. He is (just like Luke), a lame duck coach. We are only delaying the inevitable. A player pissing saved his job. Point. Blank. Period.

We are now stuck with a loser that can not compete against decent SEC teams. I had a lot more faith in John than was warranted apparently.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Many good points.

But the end remains the same. He cannot compete against decent SEC teams. He is (just like Luke), a lame duck coach. We are only delaying the inevitable. A player pissing saved his job. Point. Blank. Period.

We are now stuck with a loser that can not compete against decent SEC teams. I had a lot more faith in John than was warranted apparently.

I agree with you, but IFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIF we're wrong and OM has to go through a coaching change while we do not, then there is much to be gained.

In the end, I'm just trying to see the optimistic side of things.

runwildjerious
12-01-2019, 05:03 PM
I agree with you, but IFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIF we're wrong and OM has to go through a coaching change while we do not, then there is much to be gained.

In the end, I'm just trying to see the optimistic side of things.

I would love to eat crow on this, I just know I won’t have to.

But I’m done with my Joe posts (until the Bowl game haha).

HailState!

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 05:04 PM
I would love to eat crow on this, I just know I won’t have to.

But I’m done with my Joe posts (until the Bowl game haha).

HailState!

The bowl game is huge for Joe. Has to change the narrative as quickly as possible & give people hope. 2020 season tickets are depending on it. Good for him at least, he gets another game.

boot
12-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Just saw where Boston College fired Addazio.

OLJWales
12-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Just saw where Boston College fired Addazio.

https://i.postimg.cc/525BGxfP/Carey-there-s-still-a-chance.gif

cheewgumm
12-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Acceptance phase

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Acceptance phase

Yes. It's not in me to remain angry about things I can't change. All I can do is think about what is the best case scenario under these circumstances

Todd4State
12-01-2019, 05:24 PM
I 100% agree Shotgun. The bowl is imperative for Joe and MSU. If he wants the fans to shut up it's time for Joe to do his part.

msudawg1200
12-01-2019, 05:32 PM
I agree with every point, especially 2-4 and 6-11. Point 9 about the bowl game is the most important for Joe to back up his words in the press conference and maybe regain some of the lost fans. I mean it is huge.

wild_dawg
12-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Great post Shotgun. I really hope that we are all wrong about Joe and that the and the majority of this board, including me, can eat crow, I really do. I don't think Joe is here past 2020, but I would love for him to show out next year and prove me wrong. I will support him until he is no longer employed at Mississippi State, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with the decisions that are being made.

wild_dawg
12-01-2019, 05:53 PM
I 100% agree Shotgun. The bowl is imperative for Joe and MSU. If he wants the fans to shut up it's time for Joe to do his part.

A win against a team like a Texas or Baylor would do him a lot of good.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Great post Shotgun. I really hope that we are all wrong about Joe and that the and the majority of this board, including me, can eat crow, I really do. I don't think Joe is here past 2020, but I would love for him to show out next year and prove me wrong. I will support him until he is no longer employed at Mississippi State, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with the decisions that are being made.

Oh yeah. I don't expect him to last 6 games next year, but I hope he does. It would be a huge benefit to MSU if he does.

NCDawg
12-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Many good points.

I agree. I figured after a few days most posters on this board would accept defeat and return to giving their support to Moorhead. I do think, however, that Cohen screwed us over.

timotheus
12-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Who thinks he can go 9-3 next year and lose to Bama, LSU and Auburn?

AROB44
12-01-2019, 07:30 PM
A win against a team like a Texas or Baylor would do him a lot of good.

We couldn't beat either one of them even if they played their backups the entire game.

Gutter Cobreh
12-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Good post Shotgun!!!

CovertDawg
12-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Since 2008, we have finished better than 4th in the SEC West exactly ONCE. We need good coaching and good luck.

mparkerfd20
12-01-2019, 10:00 PM
Well all that just went to shit. Luke is out. Don't think I've ever been as apathetic and depressed about the state of our football program as I am now.

BuckyIsAB****
12-01-2019, 10:46 PM
We are the ones with the lame duck coach man. This is bad. I would agree with you that we have a shot to land some WRs but Moorhead has done nothing to show that we can throw it. He blamed Fitz then got Stevens he sucked, Shrader isnt a good passer, didnt even give KT a single rep at QB for the entire season even with both QBs supposedly (hurt) and the other one was suspended.

Commercecomet24
12-01-2019, 10:50 PM
I've reached the 5th stage of grief: acceptance

Coursesuper
12-02-2019, 07:42 AM
I've reached the 5th stage of grief: acceptance

Right there with you, 17 it.

trojandawg
12-02-2019, 08:18 AM
17 that.screw that guy and Cohen.