PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Stevens is right on about Chris Jones...will be playing DE. This DT crap is

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 12:43 PM
temporary hopefully.

basically he siad when he gets to DE, he'll be the most dominant D Lineman in the SEC and a 1st round draft pick.

Dawg61
10-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I actually like Jones at DT but I'd just move him around all 4 spots throughout the game and force the opposition to guard him with different players.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I have noticed that he has been moved around a little (very little ) but it could have been just a different defensive scheme

HancockCountyDog
10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
temporary hopefully.

basically he siad when he gets to DE, he'll be the most dominant D Lineman in the SEC and a 1st round draft pick.

We better put him in a position to make plays, because there is no doubt that he will only be around 2 more seasons. We better get the best out of him.

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 01:04 PM
screwing it up and leaving him at DT.

I'd do everything I could to get him 1 on 1 at every chance. I'm no coach, and they know better than me, I know this.

I have noticed that he has been moved around a little (very little ) but it could have been just a different defensive scheme

FISHDAWG
10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
he requires a double team now with the guard & tackle ... that's nothing to ignore

Maroons
10-29-2013, 06:07 PM
temporary hopefully.

If you're a QB, would you rather have disruption coming from the outside or up the middle?

I'll hang up and listen.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
If you're a QB, would you rather have disruption coming from the outside or up the middle?

I'll hang up and listen.

Disruption up the middle changes the entire play. If it comes from the outside the QB still has time to get set and make his throw or hand the ball off. Pressure up the middle disrupts timing and effects everything.

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Just wnat to make sure where you stand when he is Clowney part 2 at DE, hopefully next year.

Disruption up the middle changes the entire play. If it comes from the outside the QB still has time to get set and make his throw or hand the ball off. Pressure up the middle disrupts timing and effects everything.

woozman
10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
"DT crap"?...

It's getting him on the field and he's dominating. That's crap???

War Machine Dawg
10-29-2013, 06:59 PM

Yep. QBs HATE pressure up the middle. A great DT > great DE. Look no further than Nick Fairley & Ndamakong Suh. That's the kind of potential Jones has at DT. That said, I like moving him around some. It makes our D more flexible and the QB has take an extra second to find him.

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Or Reggie white or Derek Thomas or Lawrence Taylor... I guess QBs loved those guys.

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 07:12 PM
He's our beat defensive player. He doesn't have to play. DT to get on the field.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2013, 07:25 PM
He's our beat defensive player. He doesn't have to play. DT to get on the field.

We need our best 4 D-linemen on the field. And our best 4 are Autry, Preston Smith, C. Jones, and PJ Jones. Autry and Smith can't play DT so it's pretty logical why he is playing DT.

ckDOG
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
No, pressure is pressure. A short straight line to the QB just makes is more likely. A QB hates being rushed from any direction. I don't care where it comes from, just disrupt the backfield.

cheewgumm
10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Except normally there are 2 people blocking u there as opposed to 1 tackle if you are at end.

My point is he would be beating the crap out of tackles one on one so he'd get to the QB a lot more often.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Just wnat to make sure where you stand when he is Clowney part 2 at DE, hopefully next year.

I didn't say that. I said pressure is more disruptive from the middle. As far as Jones, I want him playing where he helps us the most. I have no idea where that is. I'm not coaching him everyday. If DT is where he's needed then that's where he should be. I want to see him be the SEC's most dominate defensive player whether that's at DT or DE. I don't care either way.

Maroons
10-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Yep. QBs HATE pressure up the middle. A great DT > great DE. Look no further than Nick Fairley & Ndamakong Suh. That's the kind of potential Jones has at DT. That said, I like moving him around some. It makes our D more flexible and the QB has take an extra second to find him.

Completely agreed.

Fletcher Cox made a Chris Wilson D look pretty decent.

SPMT
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
QBs don't like pressure up the middle because they can't step up in the pocket like they can when pressure is coming from the outside.

However, considering the greatest pass rushers of all time were DE, if Chris Jones is a great pass rusher he should be at DE. Usually the best pass rush up the middles is usually from a linebacker or safety where the line has already blocked their man and the back isn't quick enough to come up and pick up the extra rusher up the middle.

woozman
10-29-2013, 09:24 PM
We need our best 4 D-linemen on the field. And our best 4 are Autry, Preston Smith, C. Jones, and PJ Jones. Autry and Smith can't play DT so it's pretty logical why he is playing DT.

100% correct, Hoops...

Homedawg
10-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Except normally there are 2 people blocking u there as opposed to 1 tackle if you are at end.

My point is he would be beating the crap out of tackles one on one so he'd get to the QB a lot more often.

Clowney is getting double teamed every play.............

Homedawg
10-29-2013, 10:36 PM
QBs don't like pressure up the middle because they can't step up in the pocket like they can when pressure is coming from the outside.

However, considering the greatest pass rushers of all time were DE, if Chris Jones is a great pass rusher he should be at DE. Usually the best pass rush up the middles is usually from a linebacker or safety where the line has already blocked their man and the back isn't quick enough to come up and pick up the extra rusher up the middle.

At 300+ he's a dt. Drop to 285 and maybe he's a de. But either place he's our best pass rusher if holding weren't legal!!!

cheewgumm
10-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I know that's the theory. My theory is him at DE gets more pressure on the QB than any other combination . We're gonna see at some point. I know he is good either way.

smootness
10-30-2013, 05:23 AM
I know that's the theory. My theory is him at DE gets more pressure on the QB than any other combination . We're gonna see at some point. I know he is good either way.

This is a valid point. I don't know if it's true necessarily, but it's certainly a possibility. Just because you're getting your 4 best defensive linemen on the field somewhere doesn't mean it's the most effective combination.

If Chris Jones is a flat-out monster at DE and simply very good at DT, then it may be better to have him at DE, even though it means Preston Smith isn't on the field and you have to use Eulls at DT.

Again, I'm not saying that's the case, but it's certainly something to think about.

Generally, if you have one game-changing talent somewhere, you want that player specifically in the best position for them to wreak havoc, regardless of what that means for everybody else. For example, Calvin Johnson may be able to play TE and play it well, better than Pettigrew, and that may allow the Lions to get a WR on the field in place of Pettigrew in order to get their 'best targets' on the field at once. But if Calvin Johnson isn't as effective at TE as he is at WR, then it's a bad move...because no matter what else the Lions do on offense, they have to make sure they put Calvin Johnson in the best possible spot for him to tear the defense apart.

Schultzy
10-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Has McKinney been allowed to blitz yet? What about skinner who is not great in coverage anyway?

I just wish we rushed at least five more often, that would occupy some blockers and up our DE's sack total. Not to mention help our db's with hurries.

Coach34
10-30-2013, 08:17 AM
screwing it up and leaving him at DT.

I'd do everything I could to get him 1 on 1 at every chance. I'm no coach, and they know better than me, I know this.

Well, if Jones is having to be doubled at DT- that is just as valuable- that means no OL guys are getting to our LB's and they can roam free to make plays

BulldogBear
10-30-2013, 08:27 AM
SC pass rush can be guilty of overpursing more than is wise. Dak needs to check up to 3-4 receivers and then RUN RUN RUN out of the pocket. He will gash them. If they aren't getting seperation in the first few seconds just RUN! And for Bully's sake..... throw the freakin' screen pass 3-4 times.