PDA

View Full Version : Did Cohen not see any of Moorhead?s negative traits during the hiring process?

Rex54
11-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Or were those just masked until he was given this level of responsibility?

Petty, holier than thou, blame shifting, excuse making, buck passing, etc etc etc.

Why was this not red flagged? How about Southern culture and coaching/managing ?Southern? athletes to put it that way. It?s a different skill set to manage a disciplined football team here than Fordham or even Penn State.

?Drag my Yankee ass out of here?... seriously what the **** is that if not double barrel birds at the fanbase? How does he realistically expect to be successful here after that showing? I think there?s no way we can bring him back and maintain any level of self-respect.

SDDawg
11-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Cohen was looking into a mirror, let's be honest. Difference is that Cohen won a little more and he was always "our guy". Joe isn't.

MetEdDawg
11-29-2019, 08:52 PM
What would Cohen have seen or missed? I've asked this question many times and never gotten an answer.

It's an interview. Moorhead is a smart guy. He's not coaching a game in an interview. He's talking. And Cohen is using references from around football. Everything checked out.

Not one person has been able to say what negative traits came out during the interview or what they know for a fact Cohen "missed". It's grasping at straws and trying to rationalize this to justify blame by saying "oh well how could he NOT know"?? What would that look like in an interview?

dawgday166
11-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Also remember ... both are English majors and Moorhead does somewhat "Wow you" initially with all his quotes, cliches, etc. That probably helped the bonding that was established then.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Moorhead's a really good con man apparently

chef dixon
11-29-2019, 09:01 PM
I think its simply people act differently when they're facing adversity and backs are against the wall

shrimp
11-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Moorhead's a really good con man apparently

A better con man and negotiator than a coach apparently. I hate him and want him gone, but from a negotiating standpoint, his presser last night was a strong move. Wish his coaching skills were on par with that.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2019, 09:11 PM
A better con man and negotiator than a coach apparently. I hate him and want him gone, but from a negotiating standpoint, his presser last night was a strong move. Wish his coaching skills were on par with that.

Agree 100%

TrapGame
11-29-2019, 09:15 PM

No freaking doubt. If we had that version of Moorhead we'd be 8-4 this season easy.

Rex54
11-29-2019, 09:18 PM
What would Cohen have seen or missed? I've asked this question many times and never gotten an answer.

It's an interview. Moorhead is a smart guy. He's not coaching a game in an interview. He's talking. And Cohen is using references from around football. Everything checked out. ?

I’m sure there are extensive peer references and background from colleagues

Bass Chaser
11-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Moorhead's never been challenged like coaching in the SEC challenges someone. He simply wasn't prepared. Remember when Megan had to go to Orlando to grocery shop.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2019, 09:30 PM
JoeMo acted like a complete ass last night at the press conference. Made it about himself instead of the program, the players, and the win vs Ole Miss. Lost a lot of respect for him.

NCDawg
11-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Also remember ... both are English majors and Moorhead does somewhat "Wow you" initially with all his quotes, cliches, etc. That probably helped the bonding that was established then.

I agree, and Cohen was probably impressed with Moorhead's mastery of the English Language. Compare that to Pruitt's interview with his country, southern, drawl, and Cohen was obviously not impressed. Thing about it is we were hiring a football coach-not an English major, and I think Pruitt is a much better football coach.

dawgday166
11-29-2019, 09:44 PM
I agree, and Cohen was probably impressed with Moorhead's mastery of the English Language. Compare that to Pruitt's interview with his country, southern, drawl, and Cohen was obviously not impressed. Thing about it is we were hiring a football coach-not an English major, and I think Pruitt is a much better football coach.

I did say at the time don't underestimate Pruitt. Some of the smartest guys I've met have sounded like the biggest hicks.

KB21
11-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Mike Lombardi in his book Gridiron Genius makes the comment that coaches are ELECTED, not SELECTED. He says a lot of coaches will buddy up to the players and other coaches, and what happens is that when it comes time to get recommendations, those buddies don’t badmouth that coach. The coaches that are honest with the players and push them hard are the coaches that tend to not get recommended. Joe Moorhead came into his meeting with a long list of recommendations from people around the country. John legitimately thought he was getting a well respected guy in the profession.

The problem is, there is no way of telling how a coordinator will run an entire program when that opportunity comes.

Coursesuper
11-29-2019, 10:59 PM
Short answer no, after the interview they got back to the plane and couldn’t stop talking about him.

R2Dawg
11-29-2019, 11:01 PM

Petty, holier than thou, blame shifting, excuse making, buck passing, etc etc etc.

Why was this not red flagged? How about Southern culture and coaching/managing ?Southern? athletes to put it that way. It?s a different skill set to manage a disciplined football team here than Fordham or even Penn State.

?Drag my Yankee ass out of here?... seriously what the **** is that if not double barrel birds at the fanbase? How does he realistically expect to be successful here after that showing? I think there?s no way we can bring him back and maintain any level of self-respect.

He may not have seen it in the interview but he has seen it now many times. I said on another thread, I'd fire him for that pathetic display and horrible representation of our fine University at the press conference. That was as embarrassing as Moore leg raise and worse it is insulting to MSU.

How can someone with that attitude lead our football program?

dawgs
11-30-2019, 05:32 AM

It's almost like if it was that easy to spot a guys faults and know if those faults would outweigh the positives for CFB HC jobs, the overwhelming majority of them wouldn't end in failure. Shit, many guys have success as a HC at one program, get hired elsewhere as a HC and then fail at the next stop.

The important thing is to recognize when it's time to pull the plug and learn from the previous hire why things didn't work out.

RougeDawg
11-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Let?s not forget that this same JC was the JC bunting in the first inning of baseball games. Giving up an out early in games when it went against all baseball norms. He thinks he is smarter than the sports and above reproach. If SloMo does stay, I hope they are both forced out together.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Here's the correct answer.

Yes. My guess is that Cohen saw many of the issues that have developed into problems. However, he just didn't realize the magnitude of them and if they were truly problems that would prevent him from succeeding.

You can see everything but it's only about what you value.

Sienfield
11-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Most people see what they want to see. Maybe he had a preconceved idea before the interview.

Maybe Joe had the same agent as Peter Sermon. How could Louisville want him after how he coached our defense?