PDA

View Full Version : Bounds is bringing up a great point this morning

BHildreth3
10-29-2013, 08:36 AM
What in the f### did we stop the marketing messages. We lost the Egg Bowl. So ****ing what. Right after that Mullen toned his message back (probably b/c our administration told him to do so) and then the marketing just started sucking ass. What a great way to just kill any momentum. You try to create it for the alumni base win or lose. I hate we lost the Ninja.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
crow when it's time to beat your chest ... shut up when you can't back it up - correct decision made

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2013, 08:47 AM
crow when it's time to beat your chest ... shut up when you can't back it up - correct decision made

I don't agree with this. ESPN doesn't even know the difference between OM and State. We should act like we own the joint at all times whether we win or lose one game because some people in the state of MS, and many people outside the state don't watch enough football to know that we lost.

We need to be full speed ahead at all times. It can only help us

DownwardDawg
10-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Byrne. We miss him.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2013, 08:52 AM
so you want to go back to "we-believe" ?

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Did I say that? No

I do want something aggressive though

HancockCountyDog
10-29-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't agree with this. ESPN doesn't even know the difference between OM and State. We should act like we own the joint at all times whether we win or lose one game because some people in the state of MS, and many people outside the state don't watch enough football to know that we lost.

We need to be full speed ahead at all times. It can only help us

The problem is that by year five you can't just keep running your mouth without something tangible to show for it recently. This is not a debate about the 2010 season, its an issue of what have you accomplished over the last 33 games which is, beat who you are supposed to and not beat anyone that you aren't supposed to.

Now, I think we should have some new type of message, but its hard to frame a message when we really don't have an identity as a team.

Remember the billboard "Spread the fun", which was suppose to promote our fast paced, wide open offense? Well we definitely don't go fast pace anymore, and though we have been wide open a few series, overall we are as conservative as shit on offense.

smootness
10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Byrne. We miss him.

Most of the billboards/marketing, etc. were done by Stricklin.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
This Mike Hueginin fellow that on this morning just wants every coach to "LEAVE, JUST LEAVE."

Are there even that many jobs open? Sheesh

bully99
10-29-2013, 09:07 AM
How does Bounds ever make a good point when I used to listen to him the only thing he did was sniff the jockstrap of saban, petrino, and freeze. Never seen a coach crotch sniffer like "the lifestyle ".(

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
The problem is that by year five you can't just keep running your mouth without something tangible to show for it recently. This is not a debate about the 2010 season, its an issue of what have you accomplished over the last 33 games which is, beat who you are supposed to and not beat anyone that you aren't supposed to.

Now, I think we should have some new type of message, but its hard to frame a message when we really don't have an identity as a team.

Remember the billboard "Spread the fun", which was suppose to promote our fast paced, wide open offense? Well we definitely don't go fast pace anymore, and though we have been wide open a few series, overall we are as conservative as shit on offense.

That has been the problem. No one has created a new message. Therefore, everything is stuck in purgatory. We need a new message and need to get it out.

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 09:14 AM
What in the f### did we stop the marketing messages. We lost the Egg Bowl. So ****ing what. Right after that Mullen toned his message back (probably b/c our administration told him to do so) and then the marketing just started sucking ass. What a great way to just kill any momentum. You try to create it for the alumni base win or lose. I hate we lost the Ninja.

Since the Bama game last year and even moreso after the Egg Bowl Mullen has gone into a shell in every way possible. To me its really like he is not even the same person or coach anymore. Something is definitely wrong and I think whatever it is is as much from something off the field as on it.

Barking 13
10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
MSU - Building all kinds of new shit...

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Did I say that? No

I do want something aggressive though

As an administration and coaching staff you DO need to carry forward and project a positive message as much as possible. The "we believe" thing was fan driven BUT our leadership HAS to project to our fans and everyone else that we are on track and progressing toward achieving a goal, whatever that is.

Irondawg
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
The job of marketing it to develop irrational confidence in your product. Just because you lose a few games doesn't mean you stop that.

You want to distort the lines between perception and reality and make everyone think your ____ don't stink. So heck no we shouldn't have pulled back on the marketing.

SnakePlissken
10-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Someone to needs to contact the new marketing AD chick they hired. She doesn't seem to be doing her job very well at this time. I think her name is Leah Beasley

Behrdawg
10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Bo had Veazey on this morning. They made some very good points. We let ONE loss to UM kill our "this is our state" campaign. If you have a business model, you stay the course if it has brought you success it can continue to bring success- you have to keep executing, even with a set back (like an eggbowl loss).

Another point was brought up. Bo talked about how interesting it was how our fan bases manipulate each other. Veazey continued further and added that MSU will go full retard and have meltdowns on message boards and in the media. UM fans act like they don't give a shit whats going on in Starkville- but when they get behind closed doors with their buddies they say "WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON IN STARKVILLE?" The two fan bases just have different ways of showing their emotions. I have to say- UM handles it way better than some of our idiot fans do. They remain on a united front. That's something we need to find and implement- it's not that hard. It's especially important during recruiting season. I can assure you, recruits read our boards and UM boards and see the difference.

I have to agree on all these points. When we were running with "this is our state" we had some swagger and we showed we had a purpose. Ever since that ONE eggbowl loss last year (keep in mind we have won 3 out of the last 4) we totally imploded. Mullen acted like a kindergartner that had his cookie taken away. He honestly hasn't been the same since.

CJDAWG85
10-29-2013, 09:50 AM
The "We Believe" was the slogan for the Bama game... Let's not do that again, but keep pumping "This is OUR State". We've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 and 4 of the last 6... We act like we haven't beaten them in over a decade.

CJDAWG85
10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Who was doing those hype videos in '10? They were really good! Let's start doing those again... they fire everyone up.

MadDawg
10-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Then a dipshit (MSU fan, like I had to clarify) called in right after Veazey and proved his point by saying something like "Mullenz sucks!!! We's ain't nevah gonna win anotha game with him!!!!"

Our fans suck.

biscuit
10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

I Believe :cool:

Thick
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
So after reading this thread...Gene Swindoll is a genius??? We should pump as much sunshine as possible, but air our true feelings/concerns out behind closed doors. Of course, this would be to protect our fanbase from themselves along with preserving our relationship with all prospects and commits moving forward.

This might also change the public perception of our fanbase....freaking morons!!

Behrdawg
10-29-2013, 10:17 AM
So after reading this thread...Gene Swindoll is a genius??? We should pump as much sunshine as possible, but air our true feelings/concerns out behind closed doors. Of course, this would be to protect our fanbase from themselves along with preserving our relationship with all prospects and commits moving forward.

This might also change the public perception of our fanbase....freaking morons!!

Thick- sweater boy does suck. He is nothing but malcontent hidden behind a shroud of roses in a bowl.

Thick
10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Thick- sweater boy does suck. He is nothing but malcontent hidden behind a shroud of roses in a bowl.

Yeah, I know, but after the OM/LSU game it makes you wonder about our fanbase. Do I think something is wrong with our program? Yes I do, and it starts with our HC, but our AD needs to be more assertive too. The money we have spent on Dan and this program needs to be at the forefront of the discussion with regards to expectations. I don't want Dan fired, but we need Dan to be the old Dan.

Political Hack
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
This is still our state.

We still preach relentless effort.

We are still the people's university.

Our cups don't smell like butt anymore.

There's plenty to work with on an advertising campaign. We we're selling Dan... but they quit doing that after three consecutive bowl games??? Something fell apart and it needs to be fixed.

even the twitter trash talk, video board swagger, and overall mindset has changed. Marketing helps there and we're seeing the direct result of this failure in the fan's general attitude despite 3 winning seasons, 3 bowls, a current winning season, new facilities, etc...

Ronny
10-29-2013, 10:38 AM
After the Egg Bowl debacle we went to the Gator Bowl & made a fool of ourselves vs. Northwestern.

Who is going to give a shit about clever slogans after that shameful meltdown?

Only MSU fan (and BO Bounds) thinks poor athletic success comes from a lack of a clever catch phrase instead of the level of talent on the field.

Our mediocre & poorly-coached football players are not going to improve with a more clever billboard campaign.

Bo Bounds knows all this but he's a professional shit-stirrer so he is doing his job.

Maroonthirteen
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe "Our State" is not seemingly as obvious because, It is a couple years old now? Also, it hasn't totally died. We have updated billboards up on I55 at Hernando (it is there....look behind the trees) and also on 78 near Byhalia. Also, maybe our marketing has been quiet because we are fresh out of ideas?

Also, just because someone calls in and says *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* sucks. That doesn't mean it is a State fan. AGAIN, the only football fans that I know talking about Mullen being fired, are OM fans......and the MSU internet fans. The MSU fans I know personally, are not saying he should be fired.

HancockCountyDog
10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
After the Egg Bowl debacle we went to the Gator Bowl & made a fool of ourselves vs. Northwestern.

Who is going to give a shit about clever slogans after that shameful meltdown?

Only MSU fan (and BO Bounds) thinks poor athletic success comes from a lack of a clever catch phrase instead of the level of talent on the field.

Our mediocre & poorly-coached football players are not going to improve with a more clever billboard campaign.

Bo Bounds knows all this but he's a professional shit-stirrer so he is doing his job.

We were marketing the hell out of MSU even after a 5-7 2009 season.

It just seems our focus has gone from what MSU has to offer, to what the bears are doing and how it must be due to illegal shenanigans and that they are cheating.

I also think that the 10 hour bear infomercial this past signing day really took a lot of wind out of the PR campaign. I have no idea why, but it sure seems that way.

BeastMan
10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Jeez fellas. Our ending to last year's football season sucked. That doesn't mean you stop marketing. The message just has to change a bit. Sure you beat your chest when your up. There is no reason we shouldn't be pumping the ever living shit out of "MSU-The People's University". Keep that message strong and keep pushing facts like MSU has more instate students and MSU grads having a higher avg salary post grad. I don't care if MSU goes 0-12 in football, there is always a marketing message that can be pushed aggressively.

Bowldog
10-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Good ol' marketing, how come USM doesn't use: "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" anymore?

BulldogBear
10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Good ol' marketing, how come USM doesn't use: "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" anymore?

It doesn't mean the same thing anymore. Now, it's more appropriate to a slogan that a soiled dove might use.

curmudgeon
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Here's a Linkedin Profile that helps shed light on why our marketing has slipped.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=27602864&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=drgH&locale=en_US&srchid=298265731383070350513&srchindex=1&srchtotal=230&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A298265731383070350513%2CVSR PtargetId%3A27602864%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Just like assistant coaches, we have to be willing to pay for good employees. We just lost our football SID (http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=209006760) to Clemson. You think that Clemson would have hired a nobody a month before one of their most promising seasons ever? No, they hired him because he was that good, and he would have stayed if MSU would have paid him what he was worth in the marketplace.

Thomas is the one responsible for the great marketing when Byrne was here. Byrne signed off on it, and got the credit for it, but it was this guy. Hast tag end zone that created a trend. Circa 2010 use of the jumbotron - the atmosphere that parlayed off of an exciting season (Arkansas game in 2010 was best MSU atmosphere ever, and we lost). And yes, #WeBelieve, which is only laughed at because we lost so badly, but it was brilliant. We Believe banners all over the state, country and world. When has the MSU fan base ever been so united?

Byrne wanted him to go to Arizona with him but he stayed only to have Stricklin run him off. And did we quietly end our sellout streak against Kentucky?

bluelightstar
10-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Had no idea Chad Thomas was gone. Wow.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 01:33 PM
LT Part Deaux

bully99
10-29-2013, 01:47 PM
So Galbraith a State grad and Thomas with advanced degrees from State both leave within a couple months of each other .Sounds suspicious to me. I've said for years I thought Stricklan was an empty suit.

curmudgeon
10-29-2013, 01:58 PM
So Galbraith a State grad and Thomas with advanced degrees from State both leave within a couple months of each other .Sounds suspicious to me. I've said for years I thought Stricklan was an empty suit.

Thomas loved MSU. He built that marketing department in spite of LT, and it got a shot in the arm with Byrne. Just wanted to make sure the board knew that there were two major absences in the publicity/marketing areas this season.

The girl that replaced Joe Galbraith is young and she's good, but she has no loyalty to MSU. An East Carolina graduate that came from the University of Texas softball team. I have no idea who replaced Chad Thomas, but if this football season is any indication, they are either over their head or Stricklin has them handcuffed.

Dawgface
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
We could go with........'This was our state and it could be again'.

Johnson85
10-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Since the Bama game last year and even moreso after the Egg Bowl Mullen has gone into a shell in every way possible. To me its really like he is not even the same person or coach anymore. Something is definitely wrong and I think whatever it is is as much from something off the field as on it.

This is pretty much purely speculation, but it's the impression I get the little I've been around him: He's got a wife and family and a I assume a few million in the bank. He recognizes that football is not the most important thing in the world and there are things he's not willing to do and things he's not willing to sacrifice just for a few more wins on the football field. For goodness sake, the guy is coaching at an SEC school in Mississippi and was just quietly being a christian and not trying to exploit his religiosity for recruiting purposes. I don't think he's interested in putting in 80 hours a week and seeing his kid for the one week vacation after the season ends.

Yankee ass hole demeanor aside, he's probably the kind of guy you want coaching your kid in Jr. High and high school if your options are him, Saban, Miles and Freeze (assuming your kid is not a future NFL player). Look how loyal he is to players like Russell, Perkins, and Bell. But that probably doesn't translate into wins in the SEC. At a program that could pay for top notch assistants and had a built in recruiting advantage (maybe LSU and UF), Mullen might could have a career comparable to Mark Richt. But I think the SEC in general is so demanding that you're not going to be able to sustain success at a have not (or even Bama) while still being a well rounded human being.

Radddawg
10-29-2013, 02:29 PM
ESPN doesn't even know the difference between OM and State

Someone didn't watch ESPNU on Signing Day cause the whole damn day was dedicated to Ole Miss and that bucked tooth crook they call a head coach.

The Lord Humongous
10-29-2013, 02:29 PM
If we were committed to "Our State", one lost game should never stop that effort. It was a good effort. It was strong.

If losing that game put the kibosh on that strong marketing effort and put our fans in such a funk, I've got to wonder what our priorities are as individuals. If it's THAT damn bad to lose to UM, and it can kill a marketing effort in our collective minds that easily, then we're putting too much emphasis on that game and too much emphasis on Ole Miss. "Our State" can be about the people and all things MSU NOT just the sports (football) rivalry with the Rebs. If the right attitude about moving forward and being the best that Mississippi has to offer in regards to all things University-oriented is in place, then it's still a great marketing tool. If it's about just beating Ole Miss, then it had to go and it was a foolhardy effort in the first place.

FISHDAWG
10-29-2013, 02:31 PM
This is pretty much purely speculation, but it's the impression I get the little I've been around him: He's got a wife and family and a I assume a few million in the bank. He recognizes that football is not the most important thing in the world and there are things he's not willing to do and things he's not willing to sacrifice just for a few more wins on the football field. For goodness sake, the guy is coaching at an SEC school in Mississippi and was just quietly being a christian and not trying to exploit his religiosity for recruiting purposes. I don't think he's interested in putting in 80 hours a week and seeing his kid for the one week vacation after the season ends.

Yankee ass hole demeanor aside, he's probably the kind of guy you want coaching your kid in Jr. High and high school if your options are him, Saban, Miles and Freeze (assuming your kid is not a future NFL player). Look how loyal he is to players like Russell, Perkins, and Bell. But that probably doesn't translate into wins in the SEC. At a program that could pay for top notch assistants and had a built in recruiting advantage (maybe LSU and UF), Mullen might could have a career comparable to Mark Richt. But I think the SEC in general is so demanding that you're not going to be able to sustain success at a have not (or even Bama) while still being a well rounded human being.

the man would never dispel rumors about him interviewing or being interested in other jobs ... he just kinda left everyone wondering and speculating .... so now we are speculating only not the way he wants

HancockCountyDog
10-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Someone didn't watch ESPNU on Signing Day cause the whole damn day was dedicated to Ole Miss and that bucked tooth crook they call a head coach.

Completely agree - This is putting your head in the sand and pretending it didn't happen.

We need to be proactive. We can't ignore what is going on around us.

bulldawg28
10-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Fire Stricklin!!!

Political Hack
10-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Thomas loved MSU. He built that marketing department in spite of LT, and it got a shot in the arm with Byrne. Just wanted to make sure the board knew that there were two major absences in the publicity/marketing areas this season.

The girl that replaced Joe Galbraith is young and she's good, but she has no loyalty to MSU. An East Carolina graduate that came from the University of Texas softball team. I have no idea who replaced Chad Thomas, but if this football season is any indication, they are either over their head or Stricklin has them handcuffed.

I didn't realize they let him go. Our Ath Dept is so far in over their heads it's absurd. it's like we hired a general store manager to run a multi-million $ corporation.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
I didn't realize they let him go. Our Ath Dept is so far in over their heads it's absurd. it's like we hired a general store manager to run a multi-million $ corporation.

This is the biggest issue we have right now.

curmudgeon
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
They didn't let him go. They paid him a ridiculously low salary for what he was bringing in. He got married and figured it was time he got paid what he was worth, even if that meant leaving college athletics.

State82
10-29-2013, 10:09 PM
If we were committed to "Our State", one lost game should never stop that effort. It was a good effort. It was strong.

If losing that game put the kibosh on that strong marketing effort and put our fans in such a funk, I've got to wonder what our priorities are as individuals. If it's THAT damn bad to lose to UM, and it can kill a marketing effort in our collective minds that easily, then we're putting too much emphasis on that game and too much emphasis on Ole Miss. "Our State" can be about the people and all things MSU NOT just the sports (football) rivalry with the Rebs. If the right attitude about moving forward and being the best that Mississippi has to offer in regards to all things University-oriented is in place, then it's still a great marketing tool. If it's about just beating Ole Miss, then it had to go and it was a foolhardy effort in the first place.

This is a VERY good point. "Our State" should be about the University as a whole and everything associated with it. The engineering school, the business school, the meteorological department, ecocar, etc. Playing for a national championship in Omaha, stadium expansion, etc, etc. These should all be a part of the "Our State" campaign. Seize the opportunity!!

State82
10-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Jeez fellas. Our ending to last year's football season sucked. That doesn't mean you stop marketing. The message just has to change a bit. Sure you beat your chest when your up. There is no reason we shouldn't be pumping the ever living shit out of "MSU-The People's University". Keep that message strong and keep pushing facts like MSU has more instate students and MSU grads having a higher avg salary post grad. I don't care if MSU goes 0-12 in football, there is always a marketing message that can be pushed aggressively.

This is an excellent point, also. There is always a silver lining to put out there for the general public. It doesn't always have to have an athletic scheme. Take anything you can wrap around and go with it.