PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on Cohen

MetEdDawg
11-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Let's say we get a move finalized here in the next few days. You can say it's the money folks that made this happen, but ultimately Cohen's name is on the contract.

How many of you would think of Cohen differently if he does in fact make a move to oust a sitting HC with a winning record less than 2 years after the guy was hired?

This to me is the type of move as to why Cohen is the AD. He's an MSU guy. Loves the university. And this would show me he's willing to put the university above one person. I know a bunch of people are involved in this, but ultimately the buck stops with him. Firing or replacing a sitting HC at MSU that has an overall winning record is a big deal. Tells me we are ready to play ball.

KB21
11-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Well, John’s a great leader. Great leaders know when they have to change things to fix what isn’t working. It’s not hard to see that Joe is in way over his head as a head coach in the SEC.

shoeless joe
11-28-2019, 01:55 PM
I’m a Cohen guy. But he deserves severe criticism for hiring jomo. Not because of his resume but once he sat down and talked with him the red flags should have been apparent. That said, making one bad football hire doesn’t mean he’s in over his head or a bad AD. He made this move because he knew it had to be made. I don’t think he deserves 2 mulligans but as long as he corrects his mistake I’m fine with it. Since it is still possible that jomo is not gone after tonite I will add that keeping him for a third year will immediately begin to change my mind about Cohen.

confucius say
11-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Agree

DownwardDawg
11-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Let's say we get a move finalized here in the next few days. You can say it's the money folks that made this happen, but ultimately Cohen's name is on the contract.

How many of you would think of Cohen differently if he does in fact make a move to oust a sitting HC with a winning record less than 2 years after the guy was hired?

This to me is the type of move as to why Cohen is the AD. He's an MSU guy. Loves the university. And this would show me he's willing to put the university above one person. I know a bunch of people are involved in this, but ultimately the buck stops with him. Firing or replacing a sitting HC at MSU that has an overall winning record is a big deal. Tells me we are ready to play ball.

I agree.

MetEdDawg
11-28-2019, 02:13 PM
I’m a Cohen guy. But he deserves severe criticism for hiring jomo. Not because of his resume but once he sat down and talked with him the red flags should have been apparent. That said, making one bad football hire doesn’t mean he’s in over his head or a bad AD. He made this move because he knew it had to be made. I don’t think he deserves 2 mulligans but as long as he corrects his mistake I’m fine with it. Since it is still possible that jomo is not gone after tonite I will add that keeping him for a third year will immediately begin to change my mind about Cohen.

People keep saying this. That the red flags should have been there. Not sure how anyone can make that judgment without knowing what red flags there were that he missed? You can't look at a single thing we've done the last 2 years to justify saying that. You can only use Moorhead's resume at the time.

What did Cohen miss??

dawgday166
11-28-2019, 02:15 PM
2 years of less than 300 yds offense against Ohio St. with NFL talent at all the skill positions.

FriarsPoint
11-28-2019, 02:16 PM
People keep saying this. That the red flags should have been there. Not sure how anyone can make that judgment without knowing what red flags there were that he missed? You can't look at a single thing we've done the last 2 years to justify saying that. You can only use Moorhead's resume at the time.

What did Cohen miss??

If it’s true that he rebuilt Fordham using scholarships while his competitors didn’t or couldn’t........that alone should’ve been it.

KB21
11-28-2019, 02:17 PM

What did Cohen miss??

I don’t think there is anything in particular that could have been picked up in an interview. I think where Cohen messed up is he set out with a preconceived idea that he wanted to find an offensive guy that would expand Mississippi State’s passing game. To the point that he apparently passed on a defensive minded head coach that wanted the job.

dawgday166
11-28-2019, 02:17 PM
If it’s true that he rebuilt Fordham using scholarships while his competitors didn’t or couldn’t........that alone should’ve been it.

This too.

Coursesuper
11-28-2019, 02:19 PM
You might want to temper your Cohen praise on this one.

Csdog
11-28-2019, 02:24 PM

This is Keenum’s decision. Cohen deserves no credit for the hire or the fire

civildawg
11-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Depends on who the next coach is. I?m in wait and see mode on Cohen

timotheus
11-28-2019, 02:36 PM
I agree. John is on the outside looking if the Napier hire does in fact occur. This is a much more thorough process than we had a couple years ago.

Coursesuper
11-28-2019, 02:36 PM
This is Keenum’s decision. Cohen deserves no credit for the hire or the fire

This is correct.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2019, 02:39 PM
I agree. John is on the outside looking if the Napier hire does in fact occur. This is a much more thorough process than we had a couple years ago.

Thorough,lol. I used google and common sense to recommend Napier 2 weeks ago.

timotheus
11-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Many of us liked Napier and a few others. The point I am making is the difference in the detail of the selections as well as how they have been vetted. Last time it was just how Pruitt showed a backbone to John's face and he then just turned to the guru guy. Napier will show a much better attention to detail and will not give a rats butt as to whether he wins a press conference. I do hope the smoke is true and we hire Napier.

Reunion Dog
11-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Bull Sh@t! THIS IS ALL ON COHEN. ALL U HAD TO WATCH WAS when Ears Finebaum toasted him on the SEC Network and and Cohen acted like a wussy & raised his voice and said one liners like Dumbo Joe does on his radio show after each loss. Both are dribbling IDIOTS (COHEN & DUMBO) WAY OUT OF THEIR PAYGRADE & JOB!

Todd4State
11-28-2019, 03:06 PM
My impression of Cohen is this:

Excellent baseball GM. Learning on the job as an AD. Has taken some bad advice from some of our previous AD’s.

I want to see him learn and grow instead of just holding the status quo in everything.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2019, 03:21 PM

I don't see it that way at all. The issue for me didn't manifest itself until Kentucky last year. Up until then, the man just seemed right. But when he never changed his gameplan to eliminate Snell and their DE, especially their DE, that was the first indication. Ever since that game something has been amiss.

DownwardDawg
11-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Bull Sh@t! THIS IS ALL ON COHEN. ALL U HAD TO WATCH WAS when Ears Finebaum toasted him on the SEC Network and and Cohen acted like a wussy & raised his voice and said one liners like Dumbo Joe does on his radio show after each loss. Both are dribbling IDIOTS (COHEN & DUMBO) WAY OUT OF THEIR PAYGRADE & JOB!

Reading comprehension. It’s hard.

shoeless joe
11-28-2019, 03:35 PM

What did Cohen miss??

I?ve made this point several times this year. I?ll explain it like this...go to the baseball coaching clinic in Philadelphia next week, talk to as many coaches there as possible...will be some college guys and a ton of high school guys. The coaches that have been successful consistently, whether young or old, will have a certain way of talkin to you while the young flash in the pan, tryin to better their own brand and climb the coaching ladder type guys will sound totally different. Almost like a used car salesman...lots of catch phrases and flashy buzz words...basically tryin to show how much they know. Now which one of those types does jomo sound like when you hear him talk? And I can?t think of a guy like that that has consistent success.

Next, take a look at his mannerisms and what he outwardly projects. It?s awkward and forced. That?s not what a leader looks like. That?s not what a disciplinarian looks like. It?s not what a successful high level coach looks like.

In a nutshell, jomo is always trying to prove something when he speaks/reacts on the field. He?s got a certain make up that some coaches have. I?ve seen it over and over and recognized it the very first time I heard him speak. That comes from being around/in the coaching world for a long time. And Cohen has been in it way longer and seen way more...which is why I say I?m surprised and disappointed that he didn?t pick up on these things.

mparkerfd20
11-28-2019, 03:43 PM

This guy gets it. Not sure what it is tho.

shoeless joe
11-28-2019, 03:54 PM
This is Keenum?s decision. Cohen deserves no credit for the hire or the fire

I said after the Kentucky game this year that jomo?s Teams repeatedly embarrass the university and that wouldn?t be tolerated very long...well here we are...