PDA

View Full Version : For all the "coaches" out there, tonite how do you.....

coastratdog
11-28-2019, 09:05 AM
1. Defend against the Sharks?
2. Attack their D?

1. DL pug the gaps, keep the OL from getting up field and let the linebackers play the ball. Defend the pass up to 20 yards and protect the corners.

2. RTGDF!!!

Leroy Jenkins
11-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Hit the QB every single option/read running play, smoke him no matter where the ball goes. When the QB becomes a runner he gives up his QB protections. If he hands off or pitches you have teammates who are responsible for the pitch guy. Sometimes you are going to be wrong but its better than running to the QB then he hands off or fakes and you end up in no-man's-land chasing the ball and not hitting anyone. Its easy to say but hard to do, because you instinctively want to run to where you think the ball is going.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Willie Gay hit Plumlee every play.

confucius say
11-28-2019, 09:43 AM
We wont be able to line up and run right down their throat like the last 3 years (yes, 2017 too).
Their pass defense is historically bad though. By far the worst in the league and 122 out of 130 nationally. 294 yards per game.

Defensively, we should be able to get in their backfield regularly. When we do, stay under control (looking at you lb and db) and tackle, dont just fly in there out of control bc you will miss.

To me the biggest key is not scheme but mindset. If we play with our hair on fire with tons of energy, we will be fine. But I honestly do not expect that.

ETA: qb run game will be huge bc they are going to sell out to stop kylin

KOdawg1
11-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Open field tackling. Bring him down the first time. If you miss a tackle, these dudes will take it to the house. Wrap up, get him on the ground

confucius say
11-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Willie is nowhere close to the athlete plumlee is. If we think we can just spy willie on plumlee and be fine, we are in for a rude awakening (not saying you think that). To contain an athlete like plumlee it starts up front by getting the play off schedule, then you have to fly to the ball as a a team and gang tackle. No one player alone on our team can tackle plumlee in space.

DogsofAnarchy
11-28-2019, 09:48 AM
The more interesting match-up to me will be the Jo-Gone Offense vs the Rebel Jack-Boot Defense.

MSUMatt
11-28-2019, 09:48 AM
When you have a quarterback like that everyone on the team has to maintain their gap integrity and do their role in the read option game. Plumlee is going to get his. If he rushes for 150< we win. Edges have to make him stay in the between the tackles and dts have to maintain their space in the middle. Whoever spies him, I imagine Gay, mops everything up. I would also think you do what you have to do to give him give reads as much as possible and make the running back try and beat you. Plumlee is not a gimmick, saw him take a 5 step drop in high school down 5 against Petal with under a minute and hit his head on the goal post from his own 20 and no on the field could close a gap on him.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2019, 09:53 AM
You have one guy go high and the other low on about the 5th play of the game and break his ankle.

confucius say
11-28-2019, 09:56 AM
You have one guy go high and the other low on about the 5th play of the game and break his ankle.

Thanks coach Luke. And dont forget the hammer fist to the ankle. Always remember the hammer fist. Bastards.

Saltydog
11-28-2019, 09:59 AM
And THIS is what scares me the most. Our tackling is horrible. Yeah, we're going to stack the box but if you miss tackles doing it, he and Ealy are gone. Simple as that.

msstate7
11-28-2019, 10:16 AM
We wont be able to line up and run right down their throat like the last 3 years (yes, 2017 too).
Their pass defense is historically bad though. By far the worst in the league and 122 out of 130 nationally. 294 yards per game.

Defensively, we should be able to get in their backfield regularly. When we do, stay under control (looking at you lb and db) and tackle, dont just fly in there out of control bc you will miss.

To me the biggest key is not scheme but mindset. If we play with our hair on fire with tons of energy, we will be fine. But I honestly do not expect that.

ETA: qb run game will be huge bc they are going to sell out to stop kylin

We're 107th in pass offense

Passer rating:
State offense - 78th
OM def - 87th

Yds/pass:
State off - 74th
OM def - 88th

Now check this out...

OM rush off - 7th
State rush def - 62nd

OM yds/rush - 7th
Star yds/rush def - 83rd

This is a bad matchup for us

parabrave
11-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Hit the QB every single option/read running play, smoke him no matter where the ball goes. When the QB becomes a runner he gives up his QB protections. If he hands off or pitches you have teammates who are responsible for the pitch guy. Sometimes you are going to be wrong but its better than running to the QB then he hands off or fakes and you end up in no-man's-land chasing the ball and not hitting anyone. Its easy to say but hard to do, because you instinctively want to run to where you think the ball is going.

This all day. But unlike our opponents we don't try to break his leg on purpose

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Instead of Gay on Plumlee, I think you put Murphy on him and let Gay play his normal responsibilities. Putting Gay on him opens things up more for Ealy. Even taking Murphy out of our back end I don?t think OM could throw it consistently.

Biguglyjoe
11-28-2019, 11:33 AM

Gay wouldn't make it to halftime.

confucius say
11-28-2019, 11:55 AM
We're 107th in pass offense

Passer rating:
State offense - 78th
OM def - 87th

Yds/pass:
State off - 74th
OM def - 88th

Now check this out...

OM rush off - 7th
State rush def - 62nd

OM yds/rush - 7th
Star yds/rush def - 83rd

This is a bad matchup for us

But our rush offense is 20 and their rush defense is 35. So our rush offense is decent amount better than their rush defense and our pass offense is decent amount better than their pass defense.

They have a big edge in rush offense over our rush defense with caveat of gay, autry, Murphy playing. No edge in passing offense over our passing defense.

Biggest question to me is will we play with energy and passion

BuckyIsAB****
11-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Willie is nowhere close to the athlete plumlee is. If we think we can just spy willie on plumlee and be fine, we are in for a rude awakening (not saying you think that). To contain an athlete like plumlee it starts up front by getting the play off schedule, then you have to fly to the ball as a a team and gang tackle. No one player alone on our team can tackle plumlee in space.

He is legit but so is Gay. Your ILB on the RB side has QB all day, you can also tag your DE and tell him to force him to hand it off and take it out of his hands. He is going to still pull it sometimes anyway bc he is who he is but you should have your DE and BS ILB there every time. You can also blitz him and spin a safety to that side for insurance as well. It forces you to be vanilla in coverage but he cant throw it very well so you take them out of what they want to do.

BuckyIsAB****
11-28-2019, 12:09 PM
You can slant your DL to the RB side so when he does pull it you have help coming, makes you weaker against the RB playside but pick your poison. Slant the DL away from the RB and it probably makes him keep it, but you could give up cutback lanes to the RB if he gives it. Their first answer to that will be to put the RB in pistol so now you dont know which way he is going as well, so then you need to figure out are they running weak or strong and slant that way. Chess match. Lot more to it than just yelling put 9 in the box from row 48.

When he was at OG you just had to live with him completing passes, if you let him run it you were dead.

Homedawg
11-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Running a spy is stupid. It takes him out of the play, changes how you defend, and the spy can't catch and tackle him anyway.

MagicDawg
11-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Open field tackling. Bring him down the first time. If you miss a tackle, these dudes will take it to the house. Wrap up, get him on the ground

If it comes down to this, we have no hope. We haven't had a game yet where we tackled consistently.