PDA

View Full Version : Something we need to accept and move past.

Cowbell
11-27-2019, 04:42 PM
Guys, we are no longer a stepping stone for coaches to get where they want to go. Sure, we aren?t a blue blood and can?t hire Urban or Saban. Mullen left because he didn?t fit in here, not because he couldn?t EIN here. We offered him 6 mil to stay. And we are firing the guy that couldn?t get the job done After only 2 years.
I say this to point out that we can pay whatever is needed to keep the next guy IF he wants to be here. I?m not worried about losing the next successful coach here. I?m ready to buy in and help take this program to the next level.

trojandawg
11-27-2019, 04:46 PM
i don't think it had anything to do with Mullen's fit. I think he fit our program very well. He was just ready for the next thing in his career after rebuilding our program up in to a midtier to upper half of SEC program. He also saw it stepping up in to a program with a little more prestige to bring it back to it's national prominence. Mullen needs the challenge and needed something different.

TrapGame
11-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Mullen staying here for nine years did us a lot of good. Mullen not getting out sooner may have changed the perception of our program. A good coach with good recruiting can get you to #1 at MSU. The coaching world has taken notice.

dawgday166
11-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Mullen's main drawback is recruiting and he just didn't like it. And MSU requires great effort in recruiting. He wanted to go somewhere that recruited itself more easily IMO.

confucius say
11-27-2019, 04:50 PM
I hear ya, but dan did not leave because of lack of fit. He left because it is easier to win big at Florida. Cannot blame him.

bulldog20
11-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Mullen's supreme confidence that he invented football will not help much if he can't start recruiting at a higher level. Kirby will just out-talent them every year and Florida will get tired of it real quick.

Bubb Rubb
11-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Mullen's supreme confidence that he invented football will not help much if he can't start recruiting at a higher level. Kirby will just out-talent them every year and Florida will get tired of it real quick.

A large segment of their fan base already is.

bulldog20
11-27-2019, 04:54 PM
His boys also will be part of his downfall if he doesn't change things up.

Pipedream
11-27-2019, 05:13 PM
I agree that the history of the program doesn't reflect where we are today with the additional resources. Things have changed in the last decade. But we are historically a .495 in % program. If someone wants to come here for 9 years and win 60% of their games and then leave for greener pastures, I'm all for it. Nothing bad comes from that scenario.

bulldawg28
11-27-2019, 05:19 PM
All the Mullen hate and dejected syndrome is crazy. It's been 2 years. Hate it or love it he's already averaging 10 wins a year. Every Florida fan I speak to are ecstatic he's there. I wish Mullen well and look forward to the next chapter of MSU football. He's the reason our program is no longer a stepping stone. He proved winning is possible in Starkville.

bulldog20
11-27-2019, 05:25 PM
All the Mullen hate and dejected syndrome is crazy. It's been 2 years. Hate it or love it he's already averaging 10 wins a year. Every Florida fan I speak to are ecstatic he's there. I wish Mullen well and look forward to the next chapter of MSU football. He's the reason our program is no longer a stepping stone. He proved winning is possible in Starkville.

I'm not hating on him at all, but some people made him out to be better than he is. He's doing a great job at Florida no doubt, but all I'm saying is he needs to change some things if he doesn't want Georgia to become his Bama east. I'm glad we had him and he definitely raised expectations. The Florida fans are psycho and they will try to run him off like they did Urban Meyer.

bulldawg28
11-27-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm not hating on him at all, but some people made him out to be better than he is. He's doing a great job at Florida no doubt, but all I'm saying is he needs to change some things if he doesn't want Georgia to become his Bama east. I'm glad we had him and he definitely raised expectations. The Florida fans are psycho and they will try to run him off like they did Urban Meyer.

I hear you. Imo no one will be able to stop what Georgia is doing. They're similar to Louisiana with all that talent and no other major university (outside GT) to compete with. I'm predicting GA to beat LSU in a few weeks and the ball to dominance starts rolling.

Dawg2003
11-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Yes, we are a stepping stone for most coaches. We are not a destination job for the majority of coaches. Dan left because Florida is an upgrade as far as football coaching jobs go. He wanted the chance to win a natty, and that's not going to happen at State. Believing anything else is no better than the delusions Ole Miss believes about themselves.

bulldawg28
11-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Yes, we are a stepping stone for most coaches. We are not a destination job for the majority of coaches. Dan left because Florida is an upgrade as far as football coaching jobs go. He wanted the chance to win a natty, and that's not going to happen at State. Believing anything else is no better than the delusions Ole Miss believes about themselves.

Are you serious? 2014 we had a chance. Last year we had the talent with the proper coaching to have a similar 2014 year.

msstate7
11-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Mullen has a shot next season. Don't be surprised if it's he that is in Atlanta

bulldog20
11-27-2019, 06:03 PM
I hear you. Imo no one will be able to stop what Georgia is doing. They're similar to Louisiana with all that talent and no other major university (outside GT) to compete with. I'm predicting GA to beat LSU in a few weeks and the ball to dominance starts rolling.

I don't think he will recruit at Georgia level, but will need to close the gap more imo. I think his biggest reason why he won't win the big one will be Grantham is not a championship level coordinator. I'm sure I will get blasted for that comment, but its just my opinion

bulldog20
11-27-2019, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good coach. I just think his ceiling is not as high as some say it is. I don't think he's championship level due to his unwillingness to get better coaches around him that are either elite recruiters or elite coaches.

Ari Gold
11-27-2019, 06:26 PM

It’s Fla... they better get there soon or he won’t be there...

Coach34
11-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Mullen is not going to beat Kirby Smart

dawgday166
11-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Mullen don't get Smart next year I don't think. Ga a young team. Now if Fromm goes to league, will make it closer.

I think with some time Mullen will beat Kirby. Gotta get the mental block with him and Saban out of his head tho.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Mullen is a safe coach. He'll always win and go to bowl games every year but he won't win a championship because he plays it to safe.

bobcat91
11-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Just as Mullen couldnt win big games here, he wont beat Smart there. And once the great fans at Florida realize he isn't Urban part 2, he and the cheerleader will both be at another school.

Ari Gold
11-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Mullen don't get Smart next year I don't think. Ga a young team. Now if Fromm goes to league, will make it closer.

I think with some time Mullen will beat Kirby. Gotta get the mental block with him and Saban out of his head tho.

He wont have much Time... its Fla. He better be in Atl soon or he wont be there
Has to play LSU every year and they get Bama in 2021..

dawgday166
11-27-2019, 07:24 PM
He wont have much Time... its Fla. He better be in Atl soon or he wont be there
Has to play LSU every year and they get Bama in 2021..

Agree he'll need some time to do it. As you say, Fla fans may boot him before he gets there.

Dawg2003
11-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Are you serious? 2014 we had a chance. Last year we had the talent with the proper coaching to have a similar 2014 year.

We had the talent to beat Alabama in 2014 and last year? Are you serious?

bulldawg28
11-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Absolutely. Did you not watch the games? You couldn't have.

TheLostDawg
11-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Mullen's main drawback is recruiting and he just didn't like it. And MSU requires great effort in recruiting. He wanted to go somewhere that recruited itself more easily IMO.

Mind as well

dawgday166
11-27-2019, 07:37 PM

If he's not ... I am. Yes we had the talent both years.

Last year ... taking into account 2 fumbles by Bama that weren't reviewed (and we recovered) and a called back TD for an invisible block in the back ... the score should've really been 10-7 at worst.

2014 ... moment was too big for us and we spotted Bama 19 pts. We outgained them 423 to 323 in TTown and held Cooper to 80 yds receiving ... one catch was a 50 yd to goal line. They had been averging 600 yds of O in TTown that year.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2019, 07:49 PM
Mullen just better hope FSU doesn't make a good hire.

maroonmania
11-27-2019, 09:15 PM
I hear ya, but dan did not leave because of lack of fit. He left because it is easier to win big at Florida. Cannot blame him.

Yea, that is the problem MSU faces much more than any type of money issues. For the money part, we can now compete as needed. The part we have trouble in competing is that most coaches see us as having a glass ceiling for the amount of success we can have in football. We are in a low population state with a program that doesn't have the tradition or fanbase size to pull a lot of top line recruits from other states without using the OM recruiting model. Plus, its pretty obvious, that the SEC does not really want the 'non-elite' SEC programs challenging the 'elite' programs on the field. You don't have to watch SEC officiating crews for very long to realize that.