PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead to Rutgers heating back up?

MSU 1984
11-27-2019, 09:18 AM
The Philadelphia Inquirer laying the groundwork for Moorhead...

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/penn-state/joe-moorhead-rutgers-mississippi-state-20191127.html

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Yes. They are trying to move quickly with someone since the Schaino hire was bungled. The head of the HS coaches association went on record and wanted it on record, blasting the AD and Admin for not getting it done. They need to put our fires quickly. Moorehead name has emerged quickly the last 12 hours as being someone that they could be targeting.

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2019, 09:43 AM
In my opinion, if we win the Egg Bowl I don't see Moorhead getting fired. We have never fired a Coach after winning an Egg Bowl to my knowledge. That being said, he hasn't bee good fit for us but may be a great fit for Rutgers, the article made a lot of sense. Whatever happens I hope for the best in whatever decision is made.

MetEdDawg
11-27-2019, 09:46 AM
I think I said over a month ago Moorhead was done regardless. Either he was going to get fired or he was going to leave on his own no matter what.

I think the groundwork has been laid to do that after tomorrow regardless. Moorhead has looked like a dead man walking since Tennessee. I think he knew at that moment it was game over for him.

Honestly I don't think he gets fired no matter what. I think he leaves on his own regardless of what happens.

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 09:55 AM
In my opinion, if we win the Egg Bowl I don't see Moorhead getting fired. We have never fired a Coach after winning an Egg Bowl to my knowledge. That being said, he hasn't bee good fit for us but may be a great fit for Rutgers, the article made a lot of sense. Whatever happens I hope for the best in whatever decision is made.

I’m sorry but the, we have never fired a coach after winning the EB, while true, speaks way more to our history than that irrelevant piece of trivia. I mean we only won 3 games from 1947-1979. 3 wins in 32 years...no shit we were not going to fire a coach after winning the EB. And those years included Royal and Warmuth leaving after only 2 years without wining the EB. So I really disregard that point of trivia because such a large part of our history didn’t even include wins.

Since the 80’s the game has been more back and forth and closer to happening to one of us, which did when they fired Cutcliff

Commercecomet24
11-27-2019, 09:59 AM
I’m sorry but the, we have never fired a coach after winning the EB, while true, speaks way more to our history than that irrelevant piece of trivia. I mean we only won 3 games from 1947-1979. 3 wins in 32 years...no shit we were not going to fire a coach after winning the EB. And those years included Royal and Warmuth leaving after only 2 years without wining the EB. So I really disregard that point of trivia because such a large part of our history didn’t even include wins.

Since the 80’s the game has been more back and forth and closer to happening to one of us, which did when they fired Cutcliff

This. To many are still living in the past. 21st century now and things have changed for us(for the better).

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2019, 10:21 AM

If its an irrelevant piece of history then why do we put so much stock in that one game? It's been going on for years. I left the Columbus Mississippi 20 years ago to join the military and it was that way then......even after horrible seasons as long as we won the Egg Bowl certain fans were happy. Don't say it isn't irrelevant because that rivalry game is relevant. Most rivalry games are, Jim Harbaugh can't beat Ohio State, their rival, and he has taken backlash year in and out. So rivalry games do matter and can affect a firing.

That said I want what is best for MSU, Moorhead hasn't worked so I'm all about moving on if the fit is right.

Coach34
11-27-2019, 10:30 AM
If its an irrelevant piece of history then why do we put so much stock in that one game? It's been going on for years. I left the Columbus Mississippi 20 years ago to join the military and it was that way then......even after horrible seasons as long as we won the Egg Bowl certain fans were happy. Don't say it isn't irrelevant because that rivalry game is relevant. Most rivalry games are, Jim Harbaugh can't beat Ohio State, their rival, and he has taken backlash year in and out. So rivalry games do matter and can affect a firing.

That said I want what is best for MSU, Moorhead hasn't worked so I'm all about moving on if the fit is right.

Ive never met a fan happy about a losing season with an Egg Bowl win. Not one. This is a crazy OM urban legend.

I know plenty of State people relieved that we won the EB during a losing season however.

DogsofAnarchy
11-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Definitely the politically correct thing to do. :rolleyes:

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 10:39 AM

I didn’t say it’s not a huge rivalry game for us. That’s different than what you are talking about. But when you have over 3 decades of hardly ever winning the game, it is an irrelevant piece of trivia. Our own history for decades is such a lopsided contest eliminates the chance for us even have the ability to fire a coach after winning the EB. That makes it irrelevant. It’s true but historically since the mid 40’s, there were a huge gap of time when it couldn’t even occur

Indndawg
11-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Terrible post

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2019, 10:45 AM
I didn’t say it’s not a huge rivalry game for us. That’s different than what you are talking about. But when you have over 3 decades of hardly ever winning the game, it is an irrelevant piece of trivia. Our own history for decades is such a lopsided contest eliminates the chance for us even have the ability to fire a coach after winning the EB. That makes it irrelevant. It’s true but historically since the mid 40’s, there were a huge gap of time when it couldn’t even occur

I can't speak on the 40's through 70's because I'm not that old, But when I left Mississippi nearly 20 years ago that game meant a lot and still does to this day.

Jack Lambert
11-27-2019, 10:48 AM
This. To many are still living in the past. 21st century now and things have changed for us(for the better).

To add to what you are saying how many times have we hired a coach with the program not in shambles? If the program is crap you have to give a guy more then two years but if the program is declining then that's not the case.

Homedawg
11-27-2019, 10:52 AM
To add to what you are saying how many times have we hired a coach with the program not in shambles? If the program is crap you have to give a guy more then two years but if the program is declining then that's not the case.

Basically in the last 50 years, once, when moorhead took over for Mullen. That's it. Every other time the next coach took over something not so sporty, to be kind. Some took over worse that others. But nobody, nobody, got handed what jomo was handed. Not even close.

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 10:52 AM
I can't speak on the 40's through 70's because I'm not that old, But when I left Mississippi nearly 20 years ago that game meant a lot and still does to this day.

And again, that is totally separate than firing a coach after winning the EB. The GAME still means a lot. That is completely separate from how we view a coaches performance hinging on one rivalry game. Just because we have never done it, mainly because the opportunities have been so few, is irrelevant to it being a rivalry game or if we will fire a coach after winning the EB

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Double post

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Basically in the last 50 years, once, when moorhead took over for Mullen. That's it. Every other time the next coach took bet something not so sporty, to be kind. Some took over worse that others. But nobody, nobody, got handed what jomo was handed. Not even close.

Absolutely

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Basically in the last 50 years, once, when moorhead took over for Mullen. That's it. Every other time the next coach took bet something not so sporty, to be kind. Some took over worse that others. But nobody, nobody, got handed what jomo was handed. Not even close.

Absolutely

confucius say
11-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Ive never met a fan happy about a losing season with an Egg Bowl win. Not one. This is a crazy OM urban legend.

I know plenty of State people relieved that we won the EB during a losing season however.

Lot of fans were happy after 2009 season, fwiw

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2019, 11:05 AM

You're stating the obvious, no fan is happy about a losing season, but add a losing season onto an Egg Bowl loss and your off season is even worse and the coach is bashed by every fan all off season. That game holds weight, more than people are acting like. I remember some years back Chris Relf was our QB and we weren't having a great season. Relf ended up destroying Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl to bring us to 6-6 and earned a Bowl invite, we went on to beat Wake Forest in that Bowl game and the energy of the team heading into the off season changed and everyone loved Mullen at that point.

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Another good point

Coach34
11-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Were happy with the improvement we had that season- agree 100%. Also unhappy about us blowing the LSU and Houston games as well.

confucius say
11-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Were happy with the improvement we had that season- agree 100%. Also unhappy about us blowing the LSU and Houston games as well.

True

War Machine Dawg
11-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Because we all know we were a midget QB sneak against LSU away from being bowl eligible in 2009. You could see the actual progress being made and knew we were significantly improved with a chance to be good in a hurry. And winning that EB wasn't a fluke, we knocked that OM dick in the dirt that day and made them like it. I've told this story before, but I was at that game. The most vivid memory I have of that day was one point in the third quarter I noticed how clean our OLs pants were and how many of OM's DL had serious grass stains. That was the moment I knew we were going to win and there wasn't a damn thing they could do to stop it. We were physically dominating them in the trenches.

msu15
11-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Because we all know we were a midget QB sneak against LSU away from being bowl eligible in 2009. You could see the actual progress being made and knew we were significantly improved with a chance to be good in a hurry. And winning that EB wasn't a fluke, we knocked that OM dick in the dirt that day and made them like it. I've told this story before, but I was at that game. The most vivid memory I have of that day was one point in the third quarter I noticed how clean our OLs pants were and how many of OM's DL had serious grass stains. That was the moment I knew we were going to win and there wasn't a damn thing they could do to stop it. We were physically dominating them in the trenches.
Also one of the loudest games in our history. I was there and this was the last season before “Respect the Bell” and man did it show.

msbulldog
11-28-2019, 10:01 AM
This decision will not be made based on one game.