PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wolken USA Today Article?Coaching Carousel

HailStateSZN19
11-26-2019, 09:24 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/11/26/college-football-coaches-move-five-questions-changes-loom/4307668002/

Mentions Joe. Here?s what it says on us:

3. Mississippi State, where Joe Moorhead has proven to be a terrible fit in two seasons. There is strong belief around the industry that an Egg Bowl loss to Ole Miss would seal his fate, though it?s possible he could be fired even with a win. Moorhead could be on Rutgers? list, providing a soft landing and a clean exit.

I may have missed it but that?s the first national media I?ve seen so far that has mentioned Joe potentially being gone even with a win Thursday. I know that?s what has been said on here by C34 and others with inside info, but thought it was interesting because that?s the first media I?ve read that has said anything about that scenario.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 09:40 PM

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 09:42 PM
Additionally, not one official at MSU has come out with any vote of confidence.

With all the rumors, if they weren't true, you'd expect any administrator with a brain to contact the media to release a vote of confidence

Jarius
11-26-2019, 09:44 PM

With all the rumors, if they weren't true, you'd expect any administrator with a brain to contact the media to release a vote of confidence

Joel Coleman said on his podcast today that he reached out to a MSU a few days ago to get them to go on record with a vote of confidence and they did not respond to him. That should tell you a lot.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-26-2019, 09:46 PM
USA Today is usually on the cutting edge of college news. Now that they have made mention, I suspect other outlets will start piling on about possible coaching turnover.

Ezsoil
11-26-2019, 09:47 PM

Isn't a vote of confidence usually a kiss of death....

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Still better than not getting one at all

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2019, 10:07 PM

That's just internet BS. Fact is, most of the time there's major smoke/fan uproar the coach will be fired, therefore most of the time the AD gives the vote of confidence it still ends in a coach being fired. BUT, I'm willing to bet coaches that get a vote of confidence are retained at much higher rates than coaches who get nothing.

And there's zero doubt to me that Joe is gone with a loss. The question is: Is he gone with a win? Some here say yes, but the "Smoke" that he will be fired regardless is much much much less than the smoke that he'll be fired no matter what.

Shotgun even made a thread just to clarify this question, and the insiders 1) took a long time to show up (many didn't at all), 2) were usually vague to me, and 3) none were willing to hang their hat that Joe was gone no matter what, whereas virtually all of them were willing to guarantee Joe being gone with a loss.

Am I saying 6-6 = Joe gets another year? No, I think it's likely we still fire him. But it does seem up in the air, doesn't it?

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 10:09 PM
That's just internet BS. Fact is, most of the time there's major smoke/fan uproar the coach will be fired, therefore most of the time the AD gives the vote of confidence it still ends in a coach being fired. BUT, I'm willing to bet coaches that get a vote of confidence are retained at much higher rates than coaches who get nothing.

And there's zero doubt to me that Joe is gone with a loss. The question is: Is he gone with a win? Some here say yes, but the "Smoke" that he will be fired regardless is much much much less than the smoke that he'll be fired no matter what.

Shotgun even made a thread just to clarify this question, and the insiders 1) took a long time to show up (many didn't at all), 2) were usually vague to me, and 3) none were willing to hang their hat that Joe was gone no matter what, whereas virtually all of them were willing to guarantee Joe being gone with a loss.

Am I saying 6-6 = Joe gets another year? No, I think it's likely we still fire him. But it does seem up in the air, doesn't it?

I think he could be gone either way but we're hoping someone else will hire him away

TrapGame
11-26-2019, 10:10 PM
So, it begins...

I expect something really juicy to drop before the EB.

HailStateSZN19
11-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Not going to post a screen shot because not sure if that’s violating something or if I’d get in trouble for doing that, but the main guy on Rutger’s 247Sports board literally just posted he just received a phone call to keep an eye on Joe Moorhead....

Cowbell
11-26-2019, 10:31 PM
So, it begins...

I expect something really juicy to drop before the EB.

Oh yeah?!

TrapGame
11-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Not going to post a screen shot because not sure if that’s violating something or if I’d get in trouble for doing that, but the main guy on Rutger’s 247Sports board literally just posted he just received a phone call to keep an eye on Joe Moorhead....

Yep, Joe's leaving no matter what happens Thursday night. That's been the plan since the Tennessee game.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2019, 10:43 PM
Yep, Joe's leaving no matter what happens Thursday night. That's been the plan since the Tennessee game.

I don't believe that the plan was to fire Joe "no matter what" after the TN game. We were 3-3 at that point and a win over A&M absolutely would have saved Joe. Shit, playing LSU and Bama good may have been all he needed with an EB win. And again, this board has been far far less wiling to spread "Joe is gone no matter what" rumors than they have "Joe is gone if we lose" rumors, and there was very littel of the first after the TN game. Some insiders have said they think it's 50/50 if we win thursday.

And I don't know how much stock to put in the Rutgers thing. For example, that forum poster might be fed false info and Joe is a smokescreen for the real next Rutgers HC. But there's certainly smoke there...

msstate7
11-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Delete

Todd4State
11-26-2019, 11:22 PM

Dan Mullen got one in 2013 before Arkansas and Ole Miss.

With LT yes. And somehow Joe managed to get one from him earlier in the year.

Todd4State
11-26-2019, 11:30 PM
I don't believe that the plan was to fire Joe "no matter what" after the TN game. We were 3-3 at that point and a win over A&M absolutely would have saved Joe. Shit, playing LSU and Bama good may have been all he needed with an EB win. And again, this board has been far far less wiling to spread "Joe is gone no matter what" rumors than they have "Joe is gone if we lose" rumors, and there was very littel of the first after the TN game. Some insiders have said they think it's 50/50 if we win thursday.

And I don't know how much stock to put in the Rutgers thing. For example, that forum poster might be fed false info and Joe is a smokescreen for the real next Rutgers HC. But there's certainly smoke there...

I still believe that "the plan" all along is for Joe to find another job on his own. I think that's how his exit is going to be framed one way or the other. That way if he wins the Egg Bowl and goes to a bowl- we look OK because we didn't fire a coach for getting us to a bowl. The other side of that equation if he loses- well, we didn't fire a coach after two years. It's semantics because of what really happened....but the optics are better for MSU and Joe. The media can't criticize us if he leaves on his own. I mean what were we supposed to do? He "wanted to go home". We "let him".

The media is essentially confirming at least the first part of what we have been hearing from our insiders. Right now they're like us just waiting for things to play out. But I doubt they are running with these rumors unless they feel that there is some validity to them. They're paid to be right. So they have a little bit more at stake than us who just get made fun of being wrong on a message board.

Percho
11-27-2019, 12:06 AM
I still believe that "the plan" all along is for Joe to find another job on his own. I think that's how his exit is going to be framed one way or the other. That way if he wins the Egg Bowl and goes to a bowl- we look OK because we didn't fire a coach for getting us to a bowl. The other side of that equation if he loses- well, we didn't fire a coach after two years. It's semantics because of what really happened....but the optics are better for MSU and Joe. The media can't criticize us if he leaves on his own. I mean what were we supposed to do? He "wanted to go home". We "let him".

The media is essentially confirming at least the first part of what we have been hearing from our insiders. Right now they're like us just waiting for things to play out. But I doubt they are running with these rumors unless they feel that there is some validity to them. They're paid to be right. So they have a little bit more at stake than us who just get made fun of being wrong on a message board.

Do we let him take his ball with him? :)

Todd4State
11-27-2019, 12:16 AM

He can as far as I'm concerned!

TNDawg35
11-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Guidry already dropped it...

Barking 13
11-27-2019, 04:25 AM
1000 rep points

DownwardDawg
11-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Damn. Well played.

Sienfield
11-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Guys answer me this. If the rumors are true that we have a coach lined up will that be contingent on a loss tomorrow? I guess that's possible but unlikely IMO.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Guys answer me this. If the rumors are true that we have a coach lined up will that be contingent on a loss tomorrow? I guess that's possible but unlikely IMO.

I don't think we have a coach lined up. I think we have the pool narrowed down.

Todd4State
11-27-2019, 08:48 AM

Not IF we really told him to go get another job.

And IF we really have a Howland type hire lined up. I’m curious as to who that might be.

Sienfield
11-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Not IF we really told him to go get another job.

And IF we really have a Howland type hire lined up. I’m curious as to who that might be.

That's my point. it was reported here that we had an agreement with some coach (not sure this is true but was reported) and I don't think we can have an agreement contingent on a loss in the EB. I'm guessing if we have an agreement with another coach that we have worked out a deal with JoMo and he is heading to Rutgers.

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 09:04 AM
That's my point. it was reported here that we had an agreement with some coach (not sure this is true but was reported) and I don't think we can have an agreement contingent on a loss in the EB. I'm guessing if we have an agreement with another coach that we have worked out a deal with JoMo and he is heading to Rutgers.

It wasn?t dependent on a loss in the EB and until the weekend, Rutgers was not an option. They were legitimately negotiating to hire Schaino. So Rutgers was irrelevant

MrKotter
11-27-2019, 09:06 AM
And IF we really have a Howland type hire lined up. I?m curious as to who that might be.

This is the part that causes concern if true. I assume the Holland type hire is referring to a former head coach that is currently not coaching? Other than Meyer, I can not think of one worth hiring and Meyer ain?t happening.

Sienfield
11-27-2019, 09:14 AM
The Rutgers thing was just a guess on my part but we'll see how it works out.

defiantdog
11-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Wolken must read ED

Dawgology
11-27-2019, 09:15 AM
This is the part that causes concern if true. I assume the Holland type hire is referring to a former head coach that is currently not coaching? Other than Meyer, I can not think of one worth hiring and Meyer ain?t happening.

Well, it was originally reported that it was Chizik. That would make sense since he is not coaching and could drop in immediatly. It's concerning.

HailStateSZN19
11-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Well, it was originally reported that it was Chizik. That would make sense since he is not coaching and could drop in immediatly. It's concerning.

The whole “Howland type hire” with Chizik has to be a smoke screen right? I just can’t wrap my head around him being an actual candidate. If Norvell is seriously interested and will come here & we don’t hire him, then idk what to say.

Jack Lambert
11-27-2019, 09:22 AM
The lack of sound coming from Cohen makes me think anything could happen.,

TaleofTwoDogs
11-27-2019, 09:29 AM
The lack of sound coming from Cohen makes me think anything could happen.,

I think Cohen learned his lesson about flapping his gums prematurely.