PDA

View Full Version : Let?s have a look at the coaches in left field

Cowbell
11-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Based on past Cohen decisions, I completely expect the new hire to come from left field while we are discussing these main three.

So let?s discuss some other options - I think Dave Aranda deserves an interview and I have a feeling Venables will be leaving Clemson soon.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 10:35 PM
I could see it being someone like Brett Bielma or Schiano. Never know with Cohen.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 10:46 PM
I doubt Cohen is going to make this decision. Maybe he just goes ahead and rolls the dice on Joe Brady.

WinningIsRelentless
11-25-2019, 10:48 PM
I doubt Cohen is going to make this decision. Maybe he just goes ahead and rolls the dice on Joe Brady.

You are going to roll the dice on a guy with exactly one year on the field coaching experience?

Some of y?all have been dropped on your heads.

Cooterpoot
11-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Less than a zero possibility Brady comes here.

timotheus
11-25-2019, 10:53 PM
bout zero chance that Cohen is involved other than introducing a new HC

msstate7
11-25-2019, 10:53 PM
Please tell me we at least try to interview clawson before making a hire.

timotheus
11-25-2019, 10:57 PM
I am in agreement with that.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 11:01 PM
You are going to roll the dice on a guy with exactly one year on the field coaching experience?

This IS the out of left field tread.

I would have Chizik but that's already been in play.

Cowbell
11-25-2019, 11:13 PM

You are free to offer up your own names

dantheman4248
11-25-2019, 11:24 PM

He's hitched his wagon to either Norvell or Napier (I'm assuming Norvell) as everything else he's shut down ostensibly.

As for some Left field names not being discussed (anymore) that wouldn't shock me: Willie Fritz, Lane Kiffin, Todd Monken, and Geoff Collins

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Out of left field guy...hmm...Jay Hill at Weber St

TheLostDawg
11-25-2019, 11:38 PM
Andy Ludwig

KOdawg1
11-25-2019, 11:44 PM
My left field guess- Tim Lester

parabrave
11-26-2019, 01:24 AM

How about Boyd Balyes. He played Linebacker in college. He coaches at a small catholic school, has a decent record runs a hardnosed defense which is needed in the SEC and is the meanest most badass guy I have ever heard about and I do know some Bad A MFers. He would get the program rebuilt and get us back to not only winning but being respected again.

Todd4State
11-26-2019, 01:33 AM
How about Boyd Balyes. He played Linebacker in college. He coaches at a small catholic school, has a decent record runs a hardnosed defense which is needed in the SEC and is the meanest most badass guy I have ever heard about and I do know some Bad A MFers. He would get the program rebuilt and get us back to not only winning but being respected again.

Who?

parabrave
11-26-2019, 02:49 AM
Who?

Booger Red Bayles

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2019, 03:52 AM
Rudy.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 06:33 AM

This

Brady isn't the answer right now for anyone other than being an OC. Not enough experience

PMDawg
11-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Eliah Drinkwitz

Coach34
11-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Gene Chizik was about as LF as it gets for me. Still laughing about that one.

Coursesuper
11-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Gene Chizik was about as LF as it gets for me. Still laughing about that one.

No doubt!!!!

HailStateSZN19
11-26-2019, 09:51 AM
If we're going "out of left field": Steve Sarkisian, Blake Anderson, Geoff Collins(if he'd leave GT this soon), Seth Littrell, Les Miles, Dino Babers, or Gary Patterson (if he wanted to change the scenery & leave TCU). Some/most not realistic or make sense but this is an "out of left field" list. But definitely agree with C34 & Course, Chizik was about as out of LF as it gets.

MedDawg
11-26-2019, 10:07 AM
Based on past Cohen decisions, I completely expect the new hire to come from left field while we are discussing these main three.

So let?s discuss some other options - I think Dave Aranda deserves an interview and I have a feeling Venables will be leaving Clemson soon.
Nm

dantheman4248
11-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Clay Helton isn't the worst coach in the world if he gets let go by USC. Not sure about fit here but I don't think it's hard to see him picking up another job if USC let's him go.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Let's bring Jackie back. Hell he will win.

trojandawg
11-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Clawson, Napier, Norvell, Fritz, josh mcdaniel, Hud, Grantham, Satterfield, Whittingham should all be talked to. a few of those may say no and laugh, but you can at least talk to them.

Coursesuper
11-26-2019, 01:33 PM
I'm going to say this one more time so please pay attention, we are far enough into this process that the coaches who are in the running representatives have already been contacted and this thing is already been narrowed down. There is no" talk to this guy" at this point we are way past that.

HailStateSZN19
11-26-2019, 01:46 PM
I'm going to say this one more time so please pay attention, we are far enough into this process that the coaches who are in the running representatives have already been contacted and this thing is already been narrowed down. There is no" talk to this guy" at this point we are way past that.

Not asking for specific names because I understand you probably can’t put that info out but can you say how many guys it has been narrowed down to? Appreciate the info Course.

Coursesuper
11-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Not asking for specific names because I understand you probably can’t put that info out but can you say how many guys it has been narrowed down to? Appreciate the info Course.

Not sure on specific numbers at this point.

NCDawg
11-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Clawson, Napier, Norvell, Fritz, josh mcdaniel, Hud, Grantham, Satterfield, Whittingham should all be talked to. a few of those may say no and laugh, but you can at least talk to them.

Whoever we hire, If Moorhead does leave, I hope it ain't another Yankee from the Northeast. Hope Cohen has better judgment this time if he is the one making the selection.

smootness
11-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Venables isn't leaving Clemson, certainly not for this job.

parabrave
11-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Greg Knox, He is currently undefeated as a MSU Head Coach!

bigplayslay
11-26-2019, 03:33 PM
Larry Fedora

sandjunky
11-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Manny and his Air Guitar along with all those 5star receivers on each street corner

deadheaddawg
11-27-2019, 12:22 AM
jason garrett.

He will be looking for a job. Maybe before the NFL season is over. Dak has no doubt filled his head will magical images of Starkville

Biguglyjoe
11-27-2019, 01:31 AM
Larry Fedora

Never trust a grown man that uses that much hair gel.

Todd4State
11-27-2019, 01:49 AM
Greg Knox, He is currently undefeated as a MSU Head Coach!

Hopefully we can say the same thing about Tony Hughes in a month.

CovertDawg
11-27-2019, 02:25 AM
I have no idea if we have a new coach next season but just to participate in the parlor game of naming quality coaches.........

Not saying he would be a great fit here since he has an air raid style but if we are throwing out names of good coaches, I would include Sonny Dykes. He took us to OT in 2011 when at LA Tech and then dropped 57pts on a top 25 Texas AM team the next year (they lost by 2pts). Cal is kind of a lousy Power 5 job because of lack of institutional/community support but he seems to put up big points wherever he goes including SMU this season. If he could ever find the right d-coordinator then he is a guy that should have success when given another shot at the Power 5 level.

FISHDAWG
11-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Herm Edwards ... He always loved him some Ralph and Miss State

maroonmania
11-27-2019, 09:12 AM

I hope whoever we are going after, assuming we are going to make a change, has HC experience at least at the G5 level. Otherwise, this will be just as big of a roll of the dice as we did with Moorhead.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Let's think about this....Coursesuper tends to have pretty good info, so let's assume a change is being made and the list has already been narrowed down. Let's also go ahead and assume that the cigar boys are running this thing, not Cohen. They took the hoops search out of John's hands and got Howland, so they're likely taking the football search over.

Do you see a group that worked back channels to hire Howland, hiring a super young, inexperienced guy? Doubtful.
If they've narrowed the list down mid-season, do you think it's someone in the middle of an important P5 season run? Doubtful.
That makes me think it's a guy they know they can talk to, he's experienced, he's a safe choice, he's likely not in P5 as a HC or OC, and if it's leaking that they've made a decision, it's probably someone familiar with Starkville that was able to agree in principle without making several trips here.

Who does that leave?

I can only think of one guy that has experience, is safe choice, knows Starkville well, proven success, has recruited the area, isn't in P5 at the moment, and would have access to the cigar boys easily behind the scenes. Probably the wrong thread for me to post all of this, but I'm starting to think it can only be one dude. And I'm in.

Really Clark?
11-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Let's think about this....Coursesuper tends to have pretty good info, so let's assume a change is being made and the list has already been narrowed down. Let's also go ahead and assume that the cigar boys are running this thing, not Cohen. They took the hoops search out of John's hands and got Howland, so they're likely taking the football search over.

Do you see a group that worked back channels to hire Howland, hiring a super young, inexperienced guy? Doubtful.
If they've narrowed the list down mid-season, do you think it's someone in the middle of an important P5 season run? Doubtful.
That makes me think it's a guy they know they can talk to, he's experienced, he's a safe choice, he's likely not in P5 as a HC or OC, and if it's leaking that they've made a decision, it's probably someone familiar with Starkville that was able to agree in principle without making several trips here.

Who does that leave?

I can only think of one guy that has experience, is safe choice, knows Starkville well, proven success, has recruited the area, isn't in P5 at the moment, and would have access to the cigar boys easily behind the scenes. Probably the wrong thread for me to post all of this, but I'm starting to think it can only be one dude. And I'm in.

You mean Stricklin, not Cohen for the Howland hire

MedDawg
11-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Who does that leave?

Rockey Felker!