PDA

View Full Version : Just talking here...

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 04:48 PM
I?ve heard from more than place we could hire Hud one way or another after the Egg. Think about it. He?d keep T-Buck & Tony. He might keep Marcus Johnson and Deke Adams. All MS guys. I think he might even retain Shoop. In that scenario he only needs to hire a RB and QB/OC. His current DL coach has coached RB for him in the past. He might could go grab a Will Hall for OC/QB. That scenario saves MSU a ton of money and creates a sick recruiting staff that fits MSU from a cultural and schematic standpoint.

All the names we?ve heard and seen reported: Napier, Dykes, Chizick, and Norvell all reached out to us. Why do we leak every name that?s shown us interest? Prepares/gauges the fanbase and creates a smokescreen. Perfect cover to bring in native son Mark Hudspeth.

In Hudspeth we?d get a proven winner. We?d get a guy who had to learn some valuable lessons along the way. He?s our Coach O. Above is a bunch of speculation but hot damn, I think I?ve come to the conclusion that Hud is our guy and it?s a real possibility.

smootness
11-25-2019, 04:51 PM
How is the retention of most of the current staff a positive?

Jack Lambert
11-25-2019, 04:53 PM
If Joe goes I demand the S/C goes. Hell I demand he go regardless.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 04:54 PM
The more I think on it ... why not give him a shot. I really believe that he might can win 6/year pretty easy. What will be the ceiling tho? That is the question but why not find out. As we have just seen ... 6/year is not a given now with our current staff ... and that's with an SEC W that really isn't near (this year and last) as tough as it once was.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 04:56 PM

TBuck & Hughes good IMO. Not sold yet (but not unsold either) on Johnson & Adams. Sorta giving both a pass somewhat. Johnson cause I'm not sure our Oline can or will ever be able to block for predominantly RPO offense and he may be somewhat hampered by trying to instill that.

I like Shoop and would like him to stay if possible.

Cooterpoot
11-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Say it with me- Hud is not the answer.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 04:59 PM

I think you’d do everything you could to retain T-buck and Tony. Marcus Johnson and Deke Adams have a shot because they’re MS guys and good young coaches. Don’t forget Hud was the AHC in 18. He was just here. He’d revamp the offense, the S&C program, and most importantly the culture of the program while maintaining continuity for recruiting. It’s a win-win

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Most of time I agree with you. Why specifically are you so against it is what I'm wondering.

I go back to AU plan last year and also to Mullen's 1st 2 years and I thought Mullen took a step back for a couple after that without Hud. May have been cause Tyler didn't fit his offense but ... I kinda think Hud comes up with some good game plans myself.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Most of time I agree with you. Why specifically are you so against it is what I'm wondering.

I go back to AU plan last year and also to Mullen's 1st 2 years and I thought Mullen took a step back for a couple after that without Hud. May have been cause Tyler didn't fit his offense but ... I kinda think Hud comes up with some good game plans myself.

Hud has won everywhere he’s been, every level. He’s a type A personality. He’s going to run a power spread that fits our recruiting area perfectly. He fits our culture. He checks every box.

Jack Lambert
11-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Hud has won everywhere he’s been, every level. He’s a type A personality. He’s going to run a power spread that fits our recruiting area perfectly. He fits our culture. He checks every box.

Several other things, he is from here. This would be his dream job. He would really bust his ass to win here. He will bring in the staff to win here. If he is successful we would not have to worry about him wanting to leave every egg bowl week.

Not advocating for him. I am just saying.

Edited to say he would probably take a lower salary to help pay the buy out of Moorhead to be here.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:08 PM
I?ve heard from more than place we could hire Hud one way or another after the Egg. Think about it. He?d keep T-Buck & Tony. He might keep Marcus Johnson and Deke Adams. All MS guys. I think he might even retain Shoop. In that scenario he only needs to hire a RB and QB/OC. His current DL coach has coached RB for him in the past. He might could go grab a Will Hall for OC/QB. That scenario saves MSU a ton of money and creates a sick recruiting staff that fits MSU from a cultural and schematic standpoint.

All the names we?ve heard and seen reported: Napier, Dykes, Chizick, and Norvell all reached out to us. Why do we leak every name that?s shown us interest? Prepares/gauges the fanbase and creates a smokescreen. Perfect cover to bring in native son Mark Hudspeth.

In Hudspeth we?d get a proven winner. We?d get a guy who had to learn some valuable lessons along the way. He?s our Coach O. Above is a bunch of speculation but hot damn, I think I?ve come to the conclusion that Hud is our guy and it?s a real possibility.

I agree Beast. However, he's worked at MSU twice. Surely our admin has a better feel for Hud than us.

StarkVegasSteve
11-25-2019, 05:09 PM

Then who is? Hud is from Mississippi so he's got more incentive to succeed here than your average candidate. He's won and won big at literally every level of football outside of the NFL. And we know that he won't leave us for a big name if they come calling. We could do a heck of a lot worse than Mark Hudspeth, hell the coach we currently have is a lot worse than Mark Hudspeth. And if you're worried about the NCAA, he was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NCAA. It was all David Saunders. You know, every one keeps talking about finding "our Coach O".......Hud is it.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Because most of them are better than you think.

My question here is Marcus Johnson and if Hud has an OL coach that has followed him around.

I want the new coach to have an OL coach that he's worked with extensively. I think there is a lot of magic in that.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 05:11 PM

I'm trying to figure out what Cooter has so much against him. Skeleton in the closet??

Any coach is a crapshoot. We just hired about as bad as we could for our job and culture. I don't think Hud would do worse and he loves MSU. I figure one thing for almost certain ... if he fails it won't be due to lack of effort in trying succeed.

bobcat91
11-25-2019, 05:11 PM

I've seen you reply no to every coach mentioned yet seem to suggest you have inside info. Enlighten everyone.

msstate7
11-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Does hud have any influential guys in his corner?

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Cooter, sorry, even if you're right, this isn't good enough to not consider a guy that keeps winning everywhere he goes

Do you have actual reasons?

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 05:14 PM
You know, every one keeps talking about finding "our Coach O".......Hud is it.

I'm not saying Hud is it .. but I think he is our chance at it. He may not turn out to be, but anyone else is going to a blue blood the minute they get 9 or 10 wins over a couple of years.

BeastMan
I agree Beast. However, he's worked at MSU twice. Surely our admin has a better feel for Hud than us.

I’m not even sure what this means. He’s been the assistant head coach twice and left for HC jobs. I think HUD’s tenure ending at ULL like it did taught him the last lesson he needed. He won immediately at Austin Peay. He’s still hungry to prove himself. He doesn’t give a shit about ring sizes or being the genius offensive savant. He is our Ed Oregon

bulldawg28

He is not the answer!

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Does hud have any influential guys in his corner?

That’s a great question. I know he had a lot of allies in the rank and file alumni. Does he have any cigar boy? If I Hud, I’d figure out a way to get the Seals behind him. Go recruit them first. I know Cohen knows him well

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:17 PM
I’m not even sure what this means. He’s been the assistant head coach twice and left for HC jobs. I think HUD’s tenure ending at ULL like it did taught him the last lesson he needed. He won immediately at Austin Peay. He’s still hungry to prove himself. He doesn’t give a shit about ring sizes or being the genius offensive savant. He is our Ed Oregon

I agree. I'm just saying that positive or negative our admin knows him well. If they don't want him, I'd have to assume there's a major reason why.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:17 PM
He is not the answer!

Why?

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Because most of them are better than you think.

My question here is Marcus Johnson and if Hud has an OL coach that has followed him around.

I want the new coach to have an OL coach that he's worked with extensively. I think there is a lot of magic in that.

Doesn't he have the OL that played here his OL coach?

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Why?

His ceiling is too low imo. Just being connected to State is not enough for me. All of the other names have better resumes and more impressive seasons than Hud. He's a 8 win guy at best. The other coaches could give us 9 especially if the SEC goes with the new scheduling format.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:23 PM

I don't know. I like offensive coaches that have THEIR OL coach like Hev.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 05:24 PM
His ceiling is too low imo. Just being connected to State is not enough for me. All of the other names have better resumes and more impressive seasons than Hud. He's a 8 win guy at best. The other coaches could give us 9 especially if the SEC goes with the new scheduling format.

What makes you think his ceiling is low when he's basically won championships everywhere he's been?

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 05:26 PM

ULL was not good and he turned them in to a perennial 9 win team before the NCAA trouble with David Saunders. They won 3 games the year before he arrived. 9-4 the next.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 05:29 PM
I don't know. I like offensive coaches that have THEIR OL coach like Hev.

Looks like he met Morrissey at MSU when Moorhead hired both of them. One of Morrissey's stops was ... you guessed it ... Fordham LOL.

Red Sox Dawg
11-25-2019, 05:30 PM
My question is how will Hud recruit against the rest of the SEC? Out of all the positives I haven't seen anyone say he is as good as Orgeron at recruiting. If he's our Coach O is he going to be a top notch recruiter? Can he out recruit the big boys?

Percho
11-25-2019, 05:32 PM

EDDY MORRISSEY

MetEdDawg
11-25-2019, 05:33 PM
I would question Hud's ability to get a quality staff. We don't need a bunch of MS boys folks. We need proven coaches that can recruit AND coach.

Does Hud move the needle enough in that regard? I'm not sure he does. I mean we need a few people from MS. But not a whole staff. We need to get better at the assistants to be competitive. Can he draw guys to help us take advantage of the experience and upperclassmen we will have the next 2-3 years?

Jarius
11-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Hud would not be my first choice but he would be a very acceptable choice that I believe would do well. Also, if he were a home run hire he would not leave. It is his dream job. You obviously do not hire someone just for that reason but it is a positive for him.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 05:37 PM
I would question Hud's ability to get a quality staff. We don't need a bunch of MS boys folks. We need proven coaches that can recruit AND coach.

Does Hud move the needle enough in that regard? I'm not sure he does. I mean we need a few people from MS. But not a whole staff. We need to get better at the assistants to be competitive. Can he draw guys to help us take advantage of the experience and upperclassmen we will have the next 2-3 years?

Now this did kinda cross my mind but you can kinda say the same for Mullen his first few years too. Took him awhile to stabilize the O staff (around 2013 or so I think) and until 2017 to find his D coordinator who really had few options at the time himself.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2019, 05:43 PM

This is one reason that I like Napier. He grew up in GA with his dad a very successful high school coach. He worked in South Carolina for a few years. He was in Alabama for 5 years and now in Louisiana for 2 years. He is also known as a great recruiter.

KOdawg1
11-25-2019, 05:51 PM
It is his dream job

This is why I think he'd be a good hire. We weren't Mullen's dream job. We aren't Joe's dream job. I think you could say the same about Norvell and several other candidates. But HUD would give us all he had. He's not my first choice but I think Hud would do great here

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 05:55 PM
This is one reason that I like Napier. He grew up in GA with his dad a very successful high school coach. He worked in South Carolina for a few years. He was in Alabama for 5 years and now in Louisiana for 2 years. He is also known as a great recruiter.

I like Napier and would be fine with him replacing JoMo. But let's do the same thing with Hud. From MS and coached a lot in MS. He'd own MS in recruiting. Worked as HC in Laffy 6 years not to mention Nicholls twice so he has great relationships recruiting LA. Coached at UNA for 8 years so has great AL recruiting connections. Coached 2 different stints in Arkansas early on so there is some familiarity with that landscape. So Hud has essentially specialized in recruiting in our footprint for the last 25 years. For us to be good we have to heavily recruit MS, LA, and AL and Hud knows every bit of it like the back of his hand.

MetEdDawg
11-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Now this did kinda cross my mind but you can kinda say the same for Mullen his first few years too. Took him awhile to stabilize the O staff (around 2013 or so I think) and until 2017 to find his D coordinator who really had few options at the time himself.

So to this point. We are expecting the next 2-3 years to be significantly improved from an overall talent standpoint. If Hud takes 3 years to get a legit staff in, we miss our window of maximization of our talent.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 06:08 PM
So to this point. We are expecting the next 2-3 years to be significantly improved from an overall talent standpoint. If Hud takes 3 years to get a legit staff in, we miss our window of maximization of our talent.

Maybe so ... but just missed a big 2018 too. Not arguing tho. But $$ can talk with assistants too.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Is DJ Looney still with Hud? I liked Looney

I'm on board with Hudspeth

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 06:17 PM
What makes you think his ceiling is low when he's basically won championships everywhere he's been?

He's won championships at the lower levels. His record as a P5 coach is 51-38. 51-38 is the best you could do while cheating? I need 10 win seasons if that's how you're playing the game.

MaroonFlounder
11-25-2019, 06:26 PM

Retaining coaches is not what I'm worried about.

I want Shrader to stay put.

dantheman4248
11-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Idk how anyone can say Hud has a low ceiling. His game plan on offense last year gets us the most wins in school history and puts us heads up with alabama for the west. A 1-Loss SEC team has never missed the playoff. If that's a low ceiling, what's the high ceiling? Beating the Pats in the Super Bowl?

Johnson85
11-25-2019, 06:34 PM
He's won championships at the lower levels. His record as a P5 coach is 51-38. 51-38 is the best you could do while cheating? I need 10 win seasons if that's how you're playing the game.

His record while cheating was basically 36-16, and then when the NCAA rumors caught up to him he went 15-22 or whatever. I'm assuming he was heading toward a down year regardless; I don't think the NCAA stuff popped up early enough to mess up recruiting for his first down year. Probably was going to have an inevitable dip and the NCAA stuff killed any chance of him turning it around quickly.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm right there with you Beastly. I've gone from... ughh, to well that makes a lot of sense, to hell yeah, go get him!

yjnkdawg
11-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Is DJ Looney still with Hud? I liked Looney

I'm on board with Hudspeth

Looney is still on the staff at ULL.

Johnson85
11-25-2019, 06:40 PM

I think when people say this they mean that the sort of coach that is going to come into Mississippi State and keep us in bowls consistently aren't the type of coaches that would have down years in G5.

I sort of get that but I'm not sure that's true. Yes, on one hand, they are not facing competition as stiff, so they should be able to move the needle more. ON the other hand, G5 schools are maybe more dependent on luck. They can't just go recruit the best guys in their footprint. They have to get the best guys overlooked by P5 guys, so they could get hurt pretty significantly by P5 schools in their footprint doing a better job identifying talent or by doing a worse job recruiting and taking their recruits at the last minute. I think it's possible it's easier to maintain consistency at a P5 program b/c even though you have more competition against better coaching, you also get 3 should win G5 or FCS games each year and have more control over your recruiting to begin with.

MrKotter
11-25-2019, 06:42 PM

How are Norvell, Dykes and Napier?s resumes more impressive? Dykes - wins in little league and ass kicked in big league. Napier is doing well at ULL but so did Hud. Norvell, much like Dykes, doing well in a turd conference but hasn?t beaten anyone meaningful and has lost every bowl game. To say Hud?s resume is not at least equal to others mentioned is just stupid

parabrave
11-25-2019, 06:46 PM
If Joe goes I demand the S/C goes. Hell I demand he go regardless.

Add in the Oline coach and receivers coach, heck the entire O staff needs to go.

yjnkdawg
11-25-2019, 07:00 PM
Add in the Oline coach and receivers coach, heck the entire O staff needs to go.

I think the jury is still out on Johnson. The offensive line had to think a lot more and process more information under this magical wait for me offense. Which appears has been frustrating to all. Johnson has had to also deal with a lot of injuries. On the Receiver Coach, the receivers also had to process more information, and it just doesn't look like we currently have any SEC type quality receivers. So I think the jury is still out there, possibly. However a new coach should be able to make the call on who he retains and doesn't retain, and that is fine with me.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Hud will win more than Mullen at State. He will surpass Mullen in average wins per season. There is no doubt in my mind about it.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2019, 07:05 PM
My question is how will Hud recruit against the rest of the SEC? Out of all the positives I haven't seen anyone say he is as good as Orgeron at recruiting. If he's our Coach O is he going to be a top notch recruiter? Can he out recruit the big boys?

Hud was Mullen?s top recruiter every year. He was Mooreheads best recruiter last year. He?s a top notch recruiter. Way better than Mullen.

Red Sox Dawg
11-25-2019, 07:06 PM
nm

DownwardDawg
11-25-2019, 07:08 PM
Idk how anyone can say Hud has a low ceiling. His game plan on offense last year gets us the most wins in school history and puts us heads up with alabama for the west. A 1-Loss SEC team has never missed the playoff. If that's a low ceiling, what's the high ceiling? Beating the Pats in the Super Bowl?

Great post. You nailed it. Hud would have also won 8 games this year with KT or Mayden running his offense.

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 07:09 PM
How are Norvell, Dykes and Napier?s resumes more impressive? Dykes - wins in little league and ass kicked in big league. Napier is doing well at ULL but so did Hud. Norvell, much like Dykes, doing well in a turd conference but hasn?t beaten anyone meaningful and has lost every bowl game. To say Hud?s resume is not at least equal to others mentioned is just stupid

Norvell, Napier, and Clark would beat Hud head to head consistently if on the same level

MaroonFlounder
11-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Hud's WR coach would come here with him. Isn't that the one and only CHAD BUMPHIS?!

yjnkdawg
11-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Hud will win more than Mullen at State. He will surpass Mullen in average wins per season. There is no doubt in my mind about it.

Hud wouldn't be telling his potential staff that we will stay here a few years and win a few bowl games and then move on to "a real football school", either.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 07:11 PM

I think part of MSU’s problem historically is we go away from ourselves instead of bringing in people that are outsiders that have to learn the lay of the land. That’s why I think Bob Tyler did so well with us. Having assistants that have great connections is the only way for us to compete with Ole Miss and the Network.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Norvell, Napier, and Clark would beat Hud head to head consistently if on the same level

Hud basically has won as much at Napier at the same school.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Great post. You nailed it. Hud would have also won 8 games this year with KT or Mayden running his offense.

With Hud at a SEC school I think he could attract really good coordinators.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Lololol

sandjunky
11-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Bloviate much?

Homedawg
11-25-2019, 07:24 PM

W mayden?? No. No he wouldn't.

KOdawg1
11-25-2019, 07:28 PM
I like Napier as well, but does he contain the fire it takes to be a successful SEC coach? From all the videos I've seen from him, he's a slow talking, cool, calm, and collected kind of guy. That's great for recruiting, but will our players fear him? Bc that's what it'll take to turn the pu$$yfied culture Joe has created around

Turfdawg67
11-25-2019, 07:29 PM

W mayden?? No. No he wouldn't.

It kills me how you ppl can consistently post crap like this, and be so certain, with absolutely ZERO knowledge unless you have the gift of ESP. But I guess that's why it's a message board.

msbulldog
11-25-2019, 07:34 PM
ULL was not good and he turned them in to a perennial 9 win team before the NCAA trouble with David Saunders. They won 3 games the year before he arrived. 9-4 the next.

Bill Napier has done the same exact thing. He worked 5 years with Dabo and under Saban for 5 years. When Napier left a Alabama analyst job for another job, Saban came back a year later and hired him as an on field coach. Napier has recruited the same areas that Hud has. He has worked in better programs than Hud. If you remember the early game we played against ULL, those boys went toe to toe with our guys. As far as him jumping to another job, if he has a good enough result to get the big boys to come after him, we won't have a problem getting a new coach, like we do now. All that said I can get behind Napier or Hud.

Dawgfan77
11-25-2019, 07:40 PM

It?s his 2nd year so he is doing this so try basically Hudspeth Recruits.

gtowndawg
11-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Above is a bunch of speculation but hot damn, I think I?ve come to the conclusion that Hud is our guy and it?s a real possibility.

And I'm good with that. Let's go!

Political Hack
11-25-2019, 07:52 PM
1) If he's successful, he's never leaving. It's his dream job.

2) He knows people at every high school program in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

3) He's won everywhere he's ever been.

4) He knows what a weight room looks like.

I wanted Hud during some of those "Mullen to X" media storms. The biggest reason is that if he's successful, we've got our guy for the next 10-15 years at least.

Homedawg
11-25-2019, 08:00 PM
It kills me how you ppl can consistently post crap like this, and be so certain, with absolutely ZERO knowledge unless you have the gift of ESP. But I guess that's why it's a message board.

Bc I have more knowledge about mayden and how he's performed w our team than you. How's that?? I'm not just spouting bs to spout it.

StarkVegasSteve
11-25-2019, 08:05 PM
So it boils down to we're hiring the current coach at ULL or the former coach at ULL. I'm on board with both and think they could both win big here. The thing that holds me back about Napier is he's only been a HC for two years whereas Hud has been a HC on 3 different occasions at multiple levels. Again, I'd be ok with either but if it was my choice I'd go with Hud

TrapGame
11-25-2019, 08:17 PM
I think it's time for Hud to come home. He's proven himself and to say he hasn't is bullshit. I still believe he was the reason we beat Auburn in 2018. He's a damn good coach.

KB21
11-25-2019, 08:23 PM
1) If he's successful, he's never leaving. It's his dream job.

2) He knows people at every high school program in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

3) He's won everywhere he's ever been.

4) He knows what a weight room looks like.

I wanted Hud during some of those "Mullen to X" media storms. The biggest reason is that if he's successful, we've got our guy for the next 10-15 years at least.

I agree with this. To Hud, this is his destination job. He’s not going to be looking around at the end of a successful season to move on to bigger pastures. With Billy Napier, I have a feeling he’s going to bolt the first chance he gets.

If Mississippi State passes on Hud, they will end up regretting it the way they regret passing on Kermit Davis.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 08:24 PM
I agree with this. To Hud, this is his destination job. He’s not going to be looking around at the end of a successful season to move on to bigger pastures. With Billy Napier, I have a feeling he’s going to bolt the first chance he gets.

If Mississippi State passes on Hud, they will end up regretting it the way they regret passing on Kermit Davis.

Not saying Kermit ain't doing pretty good but ... not sure we regretting it either. However, there isn't a Howland type FB coach out there that I know of that will come to MSU IMO.

dantheman4248
11-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Bc I have more knowledge about mayden and how he's performed w our team than you. How's that?? I'm not just spouting bs to spout it.

So it's more a Mayden thing and not a Hud thing? I could accept that statement. But if this buffoon could make Shrader win some games, so I feel like Mayden could have ran that Hud style to 8 wins over the shit teams on the schedule.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 08:42 PM
So it's more a Mayden thing and not a Hud thing? I could accept that statement. But if this buffoon could make Shrader win some games, so I feel like Mayden could have ran that Hud style to 8 wins over the shit teams on the schedule.

I've honestly never seen Mayden throw a pass over 10 yards.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Hud may be our guy. But I have questions:

1) Does anyone REALLY believe Saunders acted completely without Hud's knowledge? I mean none of us believe Freeze was innocent, what's fundamentally different about Hud's situation that he's very likely to be clean? Or does that not matter to anyone because you want us to cheat to recruit better? Not throwing shade, it's an honest question and I'm on the fence on it myself

2) He had 4 straight 9-4 seasons before things fell apart... doesn't it seem as though he hit his ceiling there? If he can take a bad team and go 9-4 year 1 why can't he do better in year 4? Why wasn't there improvement if his ceiling is higher than 9-4 at a G5?

3) Why did the NCAA stuff mean his team fell apart? It's not like the NCAA forced the players to suck in games, or not hit the practice field hard. It's a tough situation for sure, but the fact is Hud didn't keep his team focused. He let the investigation and vacation of wins cause his team (made up of only his own recruits by now) to stop trying/lose focus/not care and end up playing poorly.

Those are the 3 issues I have that nobody has addressed. I see "he'll recruit!" but nobody really clarifies 1). I see "he's got a high ceiling" but nobody addresses 2). I see "He's a great coach who's won everywhere he's been" but nobody talks about 3). Seriously looking for answers to these questions

RezDog7
11-25-2019, 08:50 PM
I like Napier and would be fine with him replacing JoMo. But let's do the same thing with Hud. From MS and coached a lot in MS. He'd own MS in recruiting. Worked as HC in Laffy 6 years not to mention Nicholls twice so he has great relationships recruiting LA. Coached at UNA for 8 years so has great AL recruiting connections. Coached 2 different stints in Arkansas early on so there is some familiarity with that landscape. So Hud has essentially specialized in recruiting in our footprint for the last 25 years. For us to be good we have to heavily recruit MS, LA, and AL and Hud knows every bit of it like the back of his hand.

Luke is also from MS. #Mississippimade

RezDog7
11-25-2019, 08:54 PM
I think it's time for Hud to come home. He's proven himself and to say he hasn't is bullshit. I still believe he was the reason we beat Auburn in 2018. He's a damn good coach.

How patient would we be with Hud though? Hell, how patient will we be with whoever the next coach is. You just can't afford to mess this next one up.

TrapGame
11-25-2019, 08:59 PM
How patient would we be with Hud though? Hell, how patient will we be with whoever the next coach is. You just can't afford to mess this next one up.

Hud can turn this around in a season. The program has bottomed out yet. Hell, Napier could turn it around in a season. Joe let the culture slip. S&C and discipline got relaxed under Moorhead. Hud/Napier will come in demanding way more out of this team on day one.

This is not some 3 year rebuild.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 09:01 PM

HUD was 15-22 his last 3 years at UL!!!! It was a meltdown guys. If you can't win at that level, you aren't ready for big time football. I'm glad he's found a home in the FCS.

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Hud at best was averaging 8 wins in P5 with weaker coaches. How some of you think he's going to become a better coach because he loves MSU is beyond me. He had SEC transfers and still lost 2-3 games. He's not the answer to take the next step.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Hud can turn this around in a season. The program has bottomed out yet. Hell, Napier could turn it around in a season. Joe let the culture slip. S&C and discipline got relaxed under Moorhead. Hud/Napier will come in demanding way more out of this team on day one.

Young QB next year. Maybe young RBs. Young Oline. Young WRs.

Young DBs and Dline. Short on LBs.

I'd say 3 years. They'll be some ups/downs next year but much less than Joe IMO.

ETA: All the depth is young too.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 09:06 PM
Young QB next year. Maybe young RBs. Young Oline. Young WRs.

You DBs and Dline. Short on LBs.

I'd say 3 years. They'll be some ups/downs next year but much less than Joe IMO.

ETA: All the depth is young too.

Right now, we are shooting for 2021. That's when Vandy rolls back onto the schedule. Next year is going to be a transition year so let's get a coach in now to go thru the growing pains, go 6-6, and have us ready for 2021.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Hud at best was averaging 8 wins in P5 with weaker coaches. How some of you think he's going to become a better coach because he loves MSU is beyond me. He had SEC transfers and still lost 2-3 games. He's not the answer to take the next step.

That's right. Napier is about to do more in Year 2 at ULL than Hud did in 7 years! And Napier hasn't gotten the program hit with NCAA sanctions.

We are on Probation!!! We aren't bringing a coach who had wins vacated under his watch. Insanity on this board.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2019, 09:12 PM

Yep, If a coach has a terrible record for a few years, they can't get better. It's a fact. They can't handle the job. Period.

Sincerely,

Ed Orgeron

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Luke is also from MS. #Mississippimade

Luke isn't nearly as qualified to be a SEC head coach as Mark Hudspeth. Not even close

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Yep, If a coach has a terrible record for a few years, they can't get better. It's a fact. They can't handle the job. Period.

Sincerely,

Ed Orgeron

Oh boy, where to start. Ed O won at USC. He lost in his first job but it was Ole Miss and the SEC. Not a place where you are equal or better than your opponents. It was also Ed O's recruiting that laid all the groundwork for Houston Nutt.

Now he's at a place where he has one of the highest paid D-coordinators in the country. Basically 2 offensive coordinators and one of the highest paid staffs in the country. We will not have those advantages. LSU is a place where even Les Miles can be a winner.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Bingo bango TrapGame gets it. You are exactly right.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Well it seems as though there's no counter to my questions lol, I'm firmly in the Napier club now.

I have serious question about a coaches ability to evaluate recruits when yyear 4 under him is n better than year 1.

I have serious questions about a coaches ability to manage culture when a NCAA investigation derails the on-field performance for 3 years.

I have serious questions about a coaches judgment in making hires when David Saunders was hired.

But there's no doubt, he would be better than Joe, he gets our physical culture, and he wouldn't be seeking to ditch us immediately. But we can do better

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 09:19 PM
HUD was 15-22 his last 3 years at UL!!!! It was a meltdown guys. If you can't win at that level, you aren't ready for big time football. I'm glad he's found a home in the FCS.

He slipped because of an ongoing NCAA investigation. He learned from that mistake. Ed O was 10-25 at Ole Miss. He's doing alright these days

HoopsDawg
11-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Well it seems as though there's no counter to my questions lol, I'm firmly in the Napier club now.

I have serious question about a coaches ability to evaluate recruits when yyear 4 under him is n better than year 1.

I have serious questions about a coaches ability to manage culture when a NCAA investigation derails the on-field performance for 3 years.

I have serious questions about a coaches judgment in making hires when David Saunders was hired.

But there's no doubt, he would be better than Joe, he gets our physical culture, and he wouldn't be seeking to ditch us immediately. But we can do better

As Colin Cowherd says, people don't want to GET it right, they want to BE right.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Hiring David Saunders was the mistake of his career. But keep in mind, if OM doesn't get investigate for running wild, David Saunders is probably still coaching in the NCAA. Saunders at ULL wasn't the target of the probe. They stumbled on to Saunders and ULL because of OM. Hud was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NCAA.

msstate7
11-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Hud, norvell, Napier, or Clark, I don't care... just no mo joe, please

bulldawg28
11-25-2019, 09:24 PM

Sincerely,

Ed Orgeron

Eddy O has head coaching experience in the SEC. He proved he was a dynamic recruiter in the SEC that learned from his experiences. Hud has not proven anything in the SEC.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-25-2019, 09:28 PM

Sincerely,

Ed Orgeron

Nobody is saying it's 100% Hud wouldn't be great. Every coaching hire is a gamble. We're just looking to maximize our odds.

1) For every 1 Ed O there's 9 Crooms and Muschamps

2) Nobody was using Ed O's first 3 seasons as THE reason he should be hired at LSU. His entire OM career was a negative. YET, with Hud, people are only quoting his first 4 years at ULL and this one at Austin Pea and ignoring the last 3 at ULL which were a disaster.

3) Ed O's OM days were a LOT further behind him than Hud's bad ULL days are, which were only 3-5 years ago.

4) Ed O has literally THE highest paid staff in the country, at a school where my grandma as HC could pull top 5 classes. Hud would have assistants poached due to $$$, would never be able to go grab a top flight proven DC, and would have to punch above his recruiting level just to finish higher than 5th in the division.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Hiring David Saunders was the mistake of his career. But keep in mind, if OM doesn't get investigate for running wild, David Saunders is probably still coaching in the NCAA. Saunders at ULL wasn't the target of the probe. They stumbled on to Saunders and ULL because of OM. Hud was cleared of any wrongdoing by the NCAA.

So... Hud hired a cheating sleezeball but it's ok because it was unlucky that the NCAA found out? That's no really making me feel ok about Hud's evaluation of assistants

And why did 1 NCAA investigation mean his team sucked? It's the coaches job to navigate off field issues and have his team ready to play on the field. Hud failed. Moreover, Hud failed for THREE YEARS! That's more than enough time to wipe the distraction away and move on. Why couldn't Hud recover?

Hud was cleared at by the NCAA? Well Freeze was cleared at OM too, so why should we think one is clean and the other a cheater? Well, we know Freeze is a cheater, I'm talking the sports context though

IMissJack
11-25-2019, 10:00 PM

IMO one of our biggest deficiencies is our assistant coaching staff. I don't think many should be retained.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 10:15 PM
IMO one of our biggest deficiencies is our assistant coaching staff. I don't think many should be retained.

I think our HC and his culture is our single biggest deficiency

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Nobody is saying it's 100% Hud wouldn't be great. Every coaching hire is a gamble. We're just looking to maximize our odds.

1) For every 1 Ed O there's 9 Crooms and Muschamps

2) Nobody was using Ed O's first 3 seasons as THE reason he should be hired at LSU. His entire OM career was a negative. YET, with Hud, people are only quoting his first 4 years at ULL and this one at Austin Pea and ignoring the last 3 at ULL which were a disaster.

3) Ed O's OM days were a LOT further behind him than Hud's bad ULL days are, which were only 3-5 years ago.

4) Ed O has literally THE highest paid staff in the country, at a school where my grandma as HC could pull top 5 classes. Hud would have assistants poached due to $$$, would never be able to go grab a top flight proven DC, and would have to punch above his recruiting level just to finish higher than 5th in the division.

We have more resources than ULL. And are at a place that is even easier for him to recruit to. As does Ole Miss when we're using Orgeron as a comparison.

I don't think Hud would have a ton of coaches poached because a lot of them are likely Mississippi/MSU guys. MSU has proven multiple times with multiple coaches that we can get a top flight DC. I think there's a pretty decent chance he keeps Shoop personally.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Probably about half:

Breiner- go
Richardson- go
Johnson the WR coach- go
Hughes- Stay
Marcus Johnson- toss up
Deke Adams- toss up
Marve- toss up
T-Buck- Stay
Shoop- Toss up
Jones- Go

Let's say we get Hud. Our staff might look something like

OC/QB- Will Hall or Tim Zetts from Austin Peay
RB- Marquaise Lovings
WR- Chad Bumphis
TE- Tony Hughes
OL- Marcus Johnson, DJ Looney, or Eddy Morrissey
DL- Deke Adams
LB- Marve
CB- T-Buck
S/DC- Shoop
ST- Mark Powell

I can go for this staff.

BeastMan
11-25-2019, 10:47 PM
Probably about half:

Breiner- go
Richardson- go
Johnson the WR coach- go
Hughes- Stay
Marcus Johnson- toss up
Deke Adams- toss up
Marve- toss up
T-Buck- Stay
Shoop- Toss up
Jones- Go

Let's say we get Hud. Our staff might look something like

OC/QB- Will Hall or Tim Zetts from Austin Peay
RB- Marquaise Lovings
WR- Chad Bumphis
TE- Tony Hughes
OL- Marcus Johnson, DJ Looney, or Eddy Morrissey
DL- Deke Adams
LB- Marve
CB- T-Buck
S/DC- Shoop
ST- Mark Powell

I can go for this staff.

Yes yes yes

vv83
11-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Are DJ and Bump ready? Would love to have both but want to be sure emotion doesn’t play into it

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2019, 06:44 AM
Are DJ and Bump ready? Would love to have both but want to be sure emotion doesn’t play into it

I don't think Bump is likely ready. Give him an analyst job for a few year to let him grow into the position.

Coursesuper
11-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Luke isn't nearly as qualified to be a SEC head coach as Mark Hudspeth. Not even close

This is the absolute truth.