PDA

View Full Version : Joe Judge

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 02:46 PM
I don't know if anyone saw, but Joe Judge's special teams whooped the Cowboys yesterday

You know who else was a special teams coach before becoming a head coach? John Harbaugh.

I don't know if Judge is ready for MSU, but, if I were Cohen, I would interview him this time around just to know what we got for future purposes. Cultivate that relationship. My fear is that this guy gets an NFL head coaching job before ever being considered at MSU

Good article on Judge pursuing his PHD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oukC0WcIuMY

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Goodness. Harbaugh also had 24 years experience in coaching and was the DB coach for Philadelphia for 9 years along with his special team coordinator duties. Joe May be on a similar path but he hadn’t been on that path nearly as long. Give him some time to keep developing

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Goodness. Harbaugh also had 24 years experience in coaching and was the DB coach for Philadelphia for 9 years along with his special team coordinator duties. Joe May be on a similar path but he hadn’t been on that path nearly as long. Give him some time to keep developing

I hear you.

Just don't be surprised if he's coaching the Denver Broncos or someone like that before he's ever interviewed for the MSU job.

I'm not saying that we should hire him now, but I would absolutely interview him & cultivate that relationship. No reason not to.

Bill Belichick doesn't give bad coaches responsibility over two position groups.

StarkVegasSteve
11-25-2019, 02:59 PM
If we're going to get a coach off that staff then go get Stephen Belichick. He's the one calling the plays this year. Again, not advocating that we need to get him, but if we're going to that staff lets go get a Belichick.

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Harbaugh was also raised by a CFB head coach - so he grew up learning how to run a program.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 03:01 PM
If we're going to get a coach off that staff then go get Stephen Belichick. He's the one calling the plays this year. Again, not advocating that we need to get him, but if we're going to that staff lets go get a Belichick.

Again, I think we should interview Judge. That's it. Cultivate the relationship

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2019, 03:05 PM
My friend who played with him at MSU said that MSU was his dream job. Now I would assume that a NFL head job might be the biggest prize but he would definitely be interested as of a year or so ago.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Harbaugh was also raised by a CFB head coach - so he grew up learning how to run a program.

Definitely. Jack had a long career

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
I mean, how many people on Earth have coached under both Belichick & Saban?

Dabo was hired after being a WR coach.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
I hear you.

Just don't be surprised if he's coaching the Denver Broncos or someone like that before he's ever interviewed for the MSU job.

I'm not saying that we should hire him now, but I would absolutely interview him & cultivate that relationship. No reason not to.

Bill Belichick doesn't give bad coaches responsibility over two position groups.

I don’t really have a problem talking to him, for an opportunity down the road

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Dabo had only been in the college game, at Bama and Clemson. Was already at Clemson for several years. That’s a more natural transition.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2019, 03:14 PM

You definitely don't last around Belichik without working hard. I talked to him for a little while when we played UMass in Foxboro. He was saying that he worked long hours but Belichik was in that building if anyone was. He was there before anyone else and stayed after everyone left. The recruiting grind definitely wouldn't be too much for him. That is the only thing with him though. Has he recruited off campus before?

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Dabo had only been in the college game, at Bama and Clemson. Was already at Clemson for several years. That?s a more natural transition.

I agree. Just saying that there is a good bit of evidence that Judge is a really good coach. We need to investigate how he may fit into the big maroon puzzle either now or down the road.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 03:16 PM
I wonder if we hired a defensive HC if he would be interested in being the OC?

I'm assuming that him being the Patriots WR coach would make him an interesting candidate for that position

vv83
11-25-2019, 03:36 PM
I wonder if we hired a defensive HC if he would be interested in being the OC?

I'm assuming that him being the Patriots WR coach would make him an interesting candidate for that position

I don't know anything about his coaching philosophy. What scares me is he's been blessed with the best QB in the history of the NFL. Would he know how to come in and implement a college offense that would work at MSU or would he be like Joe and try to run his system ad nausea?

Jack Lambert
11-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Dabo had only been in the college game, at Bama and Clemson. Was already at Clemson for several years. That’s a more natural transition.

He was also Interim for a half of season. He sucked at first and almost got fired.

Pipedream
11-25-2019, 03:46 PM
I think of all your coaching scenarios/what ifs/propositions, this one is actually likeable. Here's my thing about Judge-if he's good enough to get a HC job in the NFL (and he is on the fast track to be one someday in the next 2-4 years) then he's got the chops to be the HC at State. He's obviously got the ties to State and has the pedigree under Saban and Hoodie. He'd be a CEO type who would have his hands in every aspect and run ST's himself. We would become an elite ST program and we would have a hard nosed culture. Only two drawbacks to Judge: 1. He hasn't been in the college game in 8 years so how up to date is he on recruiting and hiring personnel to fill out his staff? Pretty big learning curve there. 2. He won't leave (and likely wouldn't interview) until after the Patriots season is over which is at least going to be mid January. That almost makes him unhireable because of the recruiting calendar.

StarkVegasSteve
11-25-2019, 04:03 PM
I think of all your coaching scenarios/what ifs/propositions, this one is actually likeable. Here's my thing about Judge-if he's good enough to get a HC job in the NFL (and he is on the fast track to be one someday in the next 2-4 years) then he's got the chops to be the HC at State. He's obviously got the ties to State and has the pedigree under Saban and Hoodie. He'd be a CEO type who would have his hands in every aspect and run ST's himself. We would become an elite ST program and we would have a hard nosed culture. Only two drawbacks to Judge: 1. He hasn't been in the college game in 8 years so how up to date is he on recruiting and hiring personnel to fill out his staff? Pretty big learning curve there. 2. He won't leave (and likely wouldn't interview) until after the Patriots season is over which is at least going to be mid January. That almost makes him unhireable because of the recruiting calendar.

Those are two MASSIVE drawbacks, especially the second one. If you go the Judge route, then he'd already have to have a staff built before he was announced cause someone has to recruit until he gets here after the first week in February. We'd also have announce him over two months before he could even officially start working in Starkville.

Jack Lambert
11-25-2019, 04:26 PM
[/B]

Those are two MASSIVE drawbacks, especially the second one. If you go the Judge route, then he'd already have to have a staff built before he was announced cause someone has to recruit until he gets here after the first week in February. We'd also have announce him over two months before he could even officially start working in Starkville.

This is the bad part about firing a coach. The early signing period put monkey wrenches in things. If you are going to do it you are just going to have to accept the class we can get.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Remember that Charlie Weis coached under Belichik. He was terrible in college.

I like Judge. I think he would definitely be worth talking to. Even if he's not the guy, it's a relationship we should cultivate since he's an alum. Belichik obviously thinks highly of him.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 04:40 PM
Geez John. I didn't mean hire the damn guy