PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl say on Bo Bounds

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 10:47 AM
We all know Rosebowl is a mouthpiece & he probably just said this so that the team would play hard Thursday night, but just now on Bo Bounds he said:

"I believe Joe Moorhead will be back if he wins the Egg Bowl. MSU has never fired a head coach after winning the Egg Bowl"

Then Bo asked him what the outcome of keeping Joe would be & Rosebowl basically just said "out of fairness"

Do we care more about being fair or winning football games? That's the question the big boys at MSU must figure out.

TNDawg35
11-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Rose bowl also said Mullen’s wasn’t leaving the day of the egg bowl...

TrapGame
11-25-2019, 10:52 AM
One month ago Rosebowl said it 100% that Joe would be back EB win or not. He was adamant. Now it's "I believe..."

Joe's gone after Thursday.

msstate7
11-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Choices...
1. Get punched in the nuts
2. Have your nuts surgically removed with a rusty spoon

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Bo Bounds also agreed that Joe will be back if he wins

TrapGame
11-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Bo Bounds also agreed that Joe will be back if he wins

Joe doesn't want to come back. Everybody thinks Joe wants to be here. On the contrary, I think he realizes he effed up big time taking this job. His hubris and ego got him in over his head and he's been treading water for quite a while.

KB21
11-25-2019, 11:17 AM
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If 5-7 gets you fired, then so should 6-6 based on the way this team has consistently played under Joe.

calidawg
11-25-2019, 11:18 AM
We all know Rosebowl is a mouthpiece & he probably just said this so that the team would play hard Thursday night, but just now on Bo Bounds he said:

"I believe Joe Moorhead will be back if he wins the Egg Bowl. MSU has never fired a head coach after winning the Egg Bowl"

Then Bo asked him what the outcome of keeping Joe would be & Rosebowl basically just said "out of fairness"

Do we care more about being fair or winning football games? That's the question the big boys at MSU must figure out.

Winning the egg bowl is winning a football game. Over a rival at that

chef dixon
11-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Joe doesn't want to come back. Everybody thinks Joe wants to be here. On the contrary, I think he realizes he effed up big time taking this job. His hubris and ego got him in over his head and he's been treading water for quite a while.

I think this is overlooked. I feel like he's got to be looking for a way out. He will have a miserable next year here.

RiverCityDawg
11-25-2019, 11:38 AM
The "State has never fired a coach after winning the Egg Bowl" thing is stupid and irrelevant to me. We've never had to replace a football coach after winning and bringing back a loaded roster until Moorhead. Cohen has never been our AD before. Keenum has never been the president while we needed to fire the football coach for letting the program spiral downward. We're already in unprecedented times, so the fact that we didn't win the Egg Bowl the year we fired Felker means absolute nothing.

Keenum/Cohen should already know what they are going to do regardless of the outcome of the game, and if the decision is to cut Moorhead loose I'm sure they are already well down the path of finding a replacement.

cheewgumm
11-25-2019, 11:39 AM
I?d be shocked if he were to get fired if we beat Ole Miss.

dawgday166
11-25-2019, 11:42 AM
I would kinda be shocked too. The only thing that gives me hope in that scenario is from what has been posted, the stands were about half full on Sat night until half time and mostly empty in 4th qtr at homecoming. Maybe that's stinging a little.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 11:44 AM
What if we’re not firing him and he just leaves on his own win or lose? Other than Cann I can’t remember MSU outright firing someone from a major sport. It’s always a resignation.

TrapGame
11-25-2019, 11:48 AM
What if we’re not firing him and he just leaves on his own win or lose? Other than Cann I can’t remember MSU outright firing someone from a major sport. It’s always a resignation.

Bingo.

Coursesuper
11-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Choices...
1. Get punched in the nuts
2. Have your nuts surgically removed with a rusty spoon

I'll have the punch please.

msstate7
11-25-2019, 12:03 PM
I'll have the punch please.

Me too. Losing the egg would suck greatly, but hardly as much as letting Moorhead turn us into ark

trojandawg
11-25-2019, 12:27 PM
i may be reading too much in to it but his press conference looked like a defeated guy. almost like he was gonna cry or something. like he is moving on or being told he needed to move on. He really wasn't his usual self. it was more of a defeated look.

Johnson85
11-25-2019, 12:40 PM
The "State has never fired a coach after winning the Egg Bowl" thing is stupid and irrelevant to me. We've never had to replace a football coach after winning and bringing back a loaded roster until Moorhead. Cohen has never been our AD before. Keenum has never been the president while we needed to fire the football coach for letting the program spiral downward. We're already in unprecedented times, so the fact that we didn't win the Egg Bowl the year we fired Felker means absolute nothing.

Keenum/Cohen should already know what they are going to do regardless of the outcome of the game, and if the decision is to cut Moorhead loose I'm sure they are already well down the path of finding a replacement.

It really is stupid. There aren't very many instances in the modern era (which could be defined in different ways, but at the earliest would start with Jackie's hiring) where we have had a coach on the verge of getting fired. Basically you had Jackie, who had a ton of good will and got to stay on a year or two longer than normal coaches would have gotten to, and then you had Croom, who was never getting fired earlier than 2007, and obviously did well enough in 2007 that it was not an issue even if he lost the Egg bowl (although lots of people still recognized that his offense was awful). So you have a sample size of about 1.

gtowndawg
11-25-2019, 12:45 PM
It really is stupid. There aren't very many instances in the modern era (which could be defined in different ways, but at the earliest would start with Jackie's hiring) where we have had a coach on the verge of getting fired. Basically you had Jackie, who had a ton of good will and got to stay on a year or two longer than normal coaches would have gotten to, and then you had Croom, who was never getting fired earlier than 2007, and obviously did well enough in 2007 that it was not an issue even if he lost the Egg bowl (although lots of people still recognized that his offense was awful). So you have a sample size of about 1.

We also have a lot more money on hand (SEC deals) to make decisions sooner. Back then buyouts and things of that nature really did factor in to decisions quite heavily forcing things to drag on longer than they should.

Maroonthirteen
11-25-2019, 12:54 PM
I made it 10 minutes into the first hour and skipped to the Rosey interview.

“People think State gets blown out.”
“Ole Miss chancellor going to the game for a photo op with the trophy.”

Buck Founds.

Bounds employs the same shtick as the Memphis radio guys back in the day. All things state sucks. All things OM are golden. I guess we don’t buy enough ads.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2019, 12:55 PM
i may be reading too much in to it but his press conference looked like a defeated guy. almost like he was gonna cry or something. like he is moving on or being told he needed to move on. He really wasn't his usual self. it was more of a defeated look.

And that was after a win. He doesn't look like that even if they tell him to win the Egg Bowl or be gone.

Liverpooldawg
11-25-2019, 01:01 PM
We also have a lot more money on hand (SEC deals) to make decisions sooner. Back then buyouts and things of that nature really did factor in to decisions quite heavily forcing things to drag on longer than they should.

Money on hand? I don't know about that. More revenue? Certainly. More spending? Also certainly.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Money on hand? I don't know about that. More revenue? Certainly. More spending? Also certainly.

We have been in the black for multiple years. As much as $10 MIL+ in profit more than once. Most definitely we have money on hand. 2017-2018 year it was little over $14 MIL alone

Commercecomet24
11-25-2019, 01:38 PM
We have been in the black for multiple years. As much as $10 MIL+ in profit more than once. Most definitely we have money on hand. 2017-2018 year it was little over $14 MIL alone

This. Plus there's plenty of folks waiting to contribute to the "GoJoe" fund.

Coursesuper
11-25-2019, 01:40 PM

The buyout is not a problem.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2019, 01:40 PM

Yep.

MadDawg
11-25-2019, 01:41 PM
All things state sucks. All things OM are golden.

He must've been reading the boards.

gtowndawg
11-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Exactly. It's not rocket science.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 01:44 PM

Been ready since right after UT.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Nope. And don’t have to use Seal money either, if we do choose.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Exactly! I think some people still think it's 20 plus years ago where we would've just had to ride this out. It's a different era now and the funds are available for us to do whatever is needed to be successful and as you said without touching the Seal money either.

gtowndawg
11-25-2019, 01:48 PM

And we have a huge CBS deal coming down the pike as well...

Coursesuper
11-25-2019, 01:53 PM

You serious Clark? This I know.

smootness
11-25-2019, 02:00 PM
What if we?re not firing him and he just leaves on his own win or lose? Other than Cann I can?t remember MSU outright firing someone from a major sport. It?s always a resignation.

Resigning does not equal 'leaving on your own'.

They are told to resign or be fired. That doesn't mean you weren't fired.

Saltydog
11-25-2019, 02:02 PM
But if he left on his own wouldn't he forfeit the remainder of his contract versus us firing him and be forced to pay him...?.

Really Clark?
11-25-2019, 02:08 PM
You serious Clark? This I know.

Rep for Christmas Vacation reference

Churchill
11-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Has it sunk in to everyone how (if the winning the EB keeps his job rumor is true) the bar is being lowered right in front of our eyes ? I mean is beating a historically bad 4-7 OM team at this end of CF of a season is our standard of success now ? I can't believe what I'm seeing IF this is true.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Has it sunk in to everyone how (if the winning the EB keeps his job rumor is true) the bar is being lowered right in front of our eyes ? I mean is beating a historically bad 4-7 OM team at this end of CF of a season is our standard of success now ? I can't believe what I'm seeing IF this is true.

Talk about lowering your goals. I could understand if we lost most games like we did KSU but most games were over in the first quarter. We weren't even competitive in most SEC games similar to Arkansas. We just won UK and Arkansas and didn't have an embarrassing loss like North Texas or whoever. UM has a worse record by one game because they had one more game that they lost on basically one possession. We also didn't play Memphis which is basically the difference.

Johnson85
11-25-2019, 03:44 PM

I think we should make a change, but I don't think keeping Moorhead at 6-6 is lowering the bar. There is a sliding scale with firing a coach early in his tenure. If some people think that Moorhead has underperformed, but that 8-4 and 6-6 regular seasons the past two years are not quite bad enough to fire a guy after two years, I can understand that logic and don't think it's lowering the bar per se. We've never really been in a position to fire a coach for underachieving when he is still about average recordwise. It's new territory for us. If in year 3, we were lucky enough to have 8 mediocre teams or worse on our schedule and we looked this unimpressive while getting to six wins, and then also didn't show up in games against good teams, I think it'd be harder to stomach keeping him. But firing a guy after two years is still a relatively rare occurrence.

Jack Lambert
11-25-2019, 03:53 PM

His buy out is not a problem but if we hire a coach we might have to pay his buy out as well and pay him. If we make the move it has to be the right one. I don't think we can get a redo after a redo. You are talking money.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Resigning does not equal 'leaving on your own'.

They are told to resign or be fired. That doesn't mean you weren't fired.

Semantics for most people. It does affect things in their contracts for football coaches.

Liverpooldawg
11-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Was that figure before or after capitol improvements were factored in? Serious question.

Liverpooldawg
11-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Hopefully you are correct. We may or may not see.

Maroonthirteen
11-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Yeah, when that reporter asked if he had talked to the Admin about his job status and the outcome of the Egg bowl...... I thought he was going to cry. I feel bad for the guy. But the world is a cruel place. Big wealth companies with millions in the bank, Fire people (who need every dime) everyday to save a buck by moving a job to Central America.

Anyway..... he looks absolutely disappointed and beaten.

Turfdawg67
11-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Yeah, when that reporter asked if he had talked to the Admin about his job status and the outcome of the Egg bowl...... I thought he was going to cry. I feel bad for the guy. But the world is a cruel place. Big wealth companies with millions in the bank, Fire people (who need every dime) everyday to save a buck by moving a job to Central America.

Anyway..... he looks absolutely disappointed and beaten.

I wish no ill will towards the guy, seems very likable and I really wanted him to succeed. But I won't shed a tear based upon his feelings. Hell, It'd take around 60 years for me to earn what he did in 2.

MedDawg
11-25-2019, 08:22 PM
But if he left on his own wouldn't he forfeit the remainder of his contract versus us firing him and be forced to pay him...?.

We likely don't HAVE to pay them if they resign, but we also likely negotiate a settlement for them to resign without forcing us to fire them. Technically both Sherrill and Stansbury resigned, but I bet we paid them something.

Todd4State
11-25-2019, 08:44 PM
We likely don't HAVE to pay them if they resign, but we also likely negotiate a settlement for them to resign without forcing us to fire them. Technically both Sherrill and Stansbury resigned, but I bet we paid them something.

Oh yeah. You know they were taken care of.

Dawg2003
11-26-2019, 07:53 AM
He will get recycled somewhere else and get another chance. They all do. It's not like he's getting blackballed from the profession. Hell, Hugh Freeze is still out there coaching. Cannizaro has already been recycled. Joe will get his millions and then get to try again somewhere with the knowledge he learned here. Ain't a bad life.

beretta
11-26-2019, 08:36 AM
Rose bowl also said Mullen?s wasn?t leaving the day of the egg bowl...

Im not calling Rose bowl misinformed, but on thanksgiving day two years ago at the Sexton household, Jimmy told the table that Mullen was the next coach at Tennessee....i am good friends with one of the family members at that table.....also told me that Dan made the move to Florida without even telling a soul.....not even his agent knew it...

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Im not calling Rose bowl misinformed, but on thanksgiving day two years ago at the Sexton household, Jimmy told the table that Mullen was the next coach at Tennessee....i am good friends with one of the family members at that table.....also told me that Dan made the move to Florida without even telling a soul.....not even his agent knew it...

I wouldn't doubt that Mullen and Loafers made a backroom deal at the last second.

Coursesuper
11-26-2019, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't doubt that Mullen and Loafers made a backroom deal at the last second.

It was as simple as a phone call.