PDA

View Full Version : For those wanting Hevesy gone

MetEdDawg
10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
You might want to get over this happening. With Gabe Jackson about to be drafted in the 1st round and Hevesy also having Sherrod being drafted in the 1st round (I know he didn't have him the whole time but he did coach him), I doubt he gets fired.

I'm not personally in this camp because I believe there is a significant difference in our OL right now than a few years ago. Clausell is light years ahead of where he was two years ago and is more than serviceable, Day has turned into a pretty decent center, Gabe is doing his thing and will be drafted very high, Siddoway has done a pretty decent job, and Malone showed improvement before his injury and now we have a true freshman stepping in and getting PT. All of these guys were 2 and 3 star guys that he has turned into a very solid OL. If we can bring in a few more solid recruits like last year's class, I think the future of our OL could be really bright. I know Hevesy has his problems recruiting wise that are well documented, but I still think he has done a lot with very little in terms of talent.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
I think you could argue that Hevesy is a good coach and talent evaluator, but a horrendous recruiter. The problem in college football is, I'm not sure which one you would rather have.

This may sound dumb, but Hevesy may be a better NFL o-line coach than a college o-line coach. Remove recruiting from the equation and you have a decent coach that can evaluate talent.

For what our O-line talent was rated out of high school, we actually have a pretty good o-line. I also think Hevesy has found this niche with private school o-lineman that are smart and have a high floor.

I just wish he wasn't an ass-hole and was more productive on the recruiting trail.

According to 247:

Gabe Jackson - NR - 3 star composite - Plays like a 5 star

Dillon Day - NR - 2 star composite - Plays like a 3 1/2 star

Damien Robinson - 4 star - 4 star composite - plays like a 2 star

Ben Beckwith - NR - NR - Doesn't play like a 3 star, but certainly not like a walk-on

Blaine Clausell - NR - 2 star composite - Plays like a 3 1/2 star

Justin Malone - 3 star - 3 star composite - plays like a 3 1/2 and should play like a 4 star next season

Charles Siddoway - 3 Star out of JC - 3 star composite out of JC - plays like a 3 star

Jamal Clayborn - 3 star - 3 star composite - Early indications say it looks like he should have been at least a 4.

The point is that this unit doesn't seem to be underachieving, if anything they are over-achieving, its just frustrating because they start with so little talent or lack of recruitment. Would love to see Hevesy with 4 and 5 star O-linemen, but, of course, its his fault he doesn't get them.

I guess

Behrdawg
10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
You can find a good coach like Hevesy and also find a decent recruiter. Some of the stories I've been told from a certain coach no longer on staff of his recruiting visits are absolutely atrocious.

I will agree, he has done a decent job. But his poor choice of words with recruits and their parents have hurt us on a lot of guys and been the sole cause of missing out on them.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
You can find a good coach like Hevesy and also find a decent recruiter. Some of the stories I've been told from a certain coach no longer on staff of his recruiting visits are absolutely atrocious.

I will agree, he has done a decent job. But his poor choice of words with recruits and their parents have hurt us on a lot of guys and been the sole cause of missing out on them.

I don't doubt this for one minute. My only question would be: Can't he be taught to keep his mouth shut and only speak company lines on recruiting visits? Surely Mullen realizes that he has a good O-line coach that just has to get out of his own way on the recruiting trail. All Hevesy needs to do is sell recruits on what I posted at the top, he makes them better, smile, laugh, shoot the shit, and get out of the way.

Doesn't seem to difficult.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
He's actually a very good OL coach- but he is not Mr. Personality.

He may not be a stellar recruiter, but he has been the lead recruiter for Prescott and Chris Jones.

He's not going anywhere- Mullen and him are tight and as I said- he does a good job with the OL.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
He's actually a very good OL coach- but he is not Mr. Personality.

He may not be a stellar recruiter, but he has been the lead recruiter for Prescott and Chris Jones.

He's not going anywhere- Mullen and him are tight and as I said- he does a good job with the OL.

Is he better at recruiting other positions than his own?

HailState39110
10-28-2013, 06:49 PM
You might want to get over this happening. With Gabe Jackson about to be drafted in the 1st round and Hevesy also having Sherrod being drafted in the 1st round (I know he didn't have him the whole time but he did coach him), I doubt he gets fired.

I'm not personally in this camp because I believe there is a significant difference in our OL right now than a few years ago. Clausell is light years ahead of where he was two years ago and is more than serviceable, Day has turned into a pretty decent center, Gabe is doing his thing and will be drafted very high, Siddoway has done a pretty decent job, and Malone showed improvement before his injury and now we have a true freshman stepping in and getting PT. All of these guys were 2 and 3 star guys that he has turned into a very solid OL. If we can bring in a few more solid recruits like last year's class, I think the future of our OL could be really bright. I know Hevesy has his problems recruiting wise that are well documented, but I still think he has done a lot with very little in terms of talent.

Moot point. JB Grimes signed both Gabe Jackson and Derek Sherrod. Hevesy had some to do with their development but you can't give him credit for bringing them to campus

Coach34
10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Moot point. JB Grimes signed both Gabe Jackson and Derek Sherrod. Hevesy had some to do with their development but you can't give him credit for bringing them to campus

Nobody was giving him credit for bringing to campus. But he damn sure deserves credit for developing them

CooterDavenport
10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Is he better at recruiting other positions than his own?

My understanding is that most recruiting is done by region rather than by position--though of course the position coach will be involved. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dawgfan77
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I want my ol coach to be a mean SOB.

preachermatt83
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
If hevesy is coaching 1st road draft picks and the o-line is still performing at an average level then it seems to me that he is failing... also ANYBODY that has any connection with the recruiting process will tell you Hevesy is an AWFUL recruiter.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
If hevesy is coaching 1st road draft picks and the o-line is still performing at an average level then it seems to me that he is failing... also ANYBODY that has any connection with the recruiting process will tell you Hevesy is an AWFUL recruiter.

But thats the point, these players weren't anywhere near the level of 1st round picks when we recruited them. Look at my list above, almost all of our o-linemen are performing equal to or above the level they were supposed to perform when we recruited them.

FlabLoser
10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
MOVE YOUR HIPS! MOVE YOUR HIPS! GET OUT OF HERE!!!!

hacker
10-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Can someone give examples of how he's so bad at recruiting? I'm sure it's blown out of proportion like everything else.

hacker
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
But thats the point, these players weren't anywhere near the level of 1st round picks when we recruited them. Look at my list above, almost all of our o-linemen are performing equal to or above the level they were supposed to perform when we recruited them.

Except our only 4 star-ass muh ****er, Damien Robinson. The only 4-star OL in the history of Mississippi State.**

But seriously, the only 3 4-star OL since 2004: Damien Robinson, Templeton Hardy, Derek Sherrod

HoopsDawg
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Can someone give examples of how he's so bad at recruiting? I'm sure it's blown out of proportion like everything else.

To be good at recruiting, you have to love recruiting. Figure that one out.

It's ok to have 1 guy on your staff who doesn't recruit much as long as he is a really good coach. Guys like John Chavis don't recruit much.

Squidawg11
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM

You lost me when you said Siddoway has done a pretty decent job.

TheRef
10-28-2013, 11:34 PM
I'll tell you this right now, Hevesy is a coach that you don't get on the bad side of from what I've heard. He about killed Quay when he walked into the new football facility with his cleats on when everyone else took their cleats off before entering.

Todd4State
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
The real problem with our o-line is a roster management issue as opposed to an evaluation issue. We need to be signing five a class out of high school. If we're starting true freshmen and burning redshirts- it will haunt us for years to come.

Roster management is a big fail on Dan's part and one of the main reasons I want him gone.

Barking 13
10-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Like I've said before, he loses some prospects at the summer camps..

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 08:19 AM

MSU needs to get rid of Sallach and acquire someone that can coach/recruit. Losing Brewster and replacing him with Sallach was a huge blow. MSU needs to go out and spend some money and get a recruiter.

SignalToNoise
10-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Ha, Hev is not at all Mr. Personality. Saw him in the outfield at a baseball game one time. I formed the words "How are you, Coa--" he interrupted with "FINE!" and stormed off.

The talent on the OL has been so-so. We've had some maulers here and there, but I feel like given what he's had to work with he's done a good job. If he ever had a crop of studs to work with and our line totally sucked then I'd want him gone.