PDA

View Full Version : Would you be happy if...

Walkerhill
11-24-2019, 08:50 AM
1) Joe moves Breiner to staff position and hires an Run-heavy, spread oriented offensive coordinator and turned over play calling. Like Rhett Lashlee or similar. Publicly commit to adapting the offense to a blend of his concepts and SEC-proven concepts.

2) Hire a new S&C and increase physicality of training and practice regimen.

3) Move Joey Jones to staff and hire new st coach

4) Publicly acknowledge obvious positional and talent gaps on the roster and commit to emphasizing grad transfers and juco to close those gaps faster - speed at wr, depth at rb, depth at lb, qb pressuring de, etc.

5) Spread the ball around offensively vs trying to get most of the production from a small set of only 5 players. (That always seemed crazy to me)

6) Hire a associate head coach type to an analyst or staff position dedicated to helping Joe with preparation and mentality. The primary purpose would be to address the road form and preparation/discipline issues. Slow starts, false starts, delay of game, late play calls, etc. if there was any way to get a Shane Beamer or Joe Judge on board to help with this and also asa future-coach-in-waiting to take a shot at interim head coach mid-season if needed that would be an ideal scenario.

Most people seem to be advocating for either another year of the same approach or a totally new start. Is there a third rail?

What changes other than a new head coach would make you excited for the future of State football, or at least hopeful?

If I am being honest, except for maybe Billy Napier no one named so far seems like they will be any more shovel ready for the SEC than Joe was. And if he has gotten his pride pricked enough to learn on the job and be more flexible maybe the best path forward is to consider what it would take from here for him to be successful (and maybe also find some ways to hedge our bets) vs a totally new start.

My list is above. What else would you need to see to be okay with another year?

dawgday166
11-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Nope. Joe gotta go.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2019, 08:54 AM
I don?t understand this talk of run heavy offense. We don?t need a run heavy offense. IF Jo stays because we win the EB, then he’s got to get an OC, S&C coach, and ST coach.

dawgday166
11-24-2019, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't want run heavy but would want to be able to run and have a good mix between the 2. Joe's main mistake is he's going for an explosive play downfield almost every down. He's not trying to set those up by running or short passing game.

KOdawg1
11-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Why move Joey to a staff position? Get him as far away from our program as possible.

The whole purpose of hiring Joe was for his offense. If you get rid of his offense, you might as well get rid of him.

Cowbell
11-24-2019, 09:08 AM
1) Joe moves Breiner to staff position and hires an Run-heavy, spread oriented offensive coordinator and turned over play calling. Like Rhett Lashlee or similar. Publicly commit to adapting the offense to a blend of his concepts and SEC-proven concepts.

4) Publicly acknowledge obvious positional and talent gaps on the roster and commit to emphasizing grad transfers and juco to close those gaps faster - speed at wr, depth at rb, depth at lb, qb pressuring de, etc.

5) Spread the ball around offensively vs trying to get most of the production from a small set of only 5 players. (That always seemed crazy to me)

6) Hire a associate head coach type to an analyst or staff position dedicated to helping Joe with preparation and mentality. The primary purpose would be to address the road form and preparation/discipline issues. Slow starts, false starts, delay of game, late play calls, etc. if there was any way to get a Shane Beamer or Joe Judge on board to help with this and also asa future-coach-in-waiting to take a shot at interim head coach mid-season if needed that would be an ideal scenario.

Most people seem to be advocating for either another year of the same approach or a totally new start. Is there a third rail?

What changes other than a new head coach would make you excited for the future of State football, or at least hopeful?

If I am being honest, except for maybe Billy Napier no one named so far seems like they will be any more shovel ready for the SEC than Joe was. And if he has gotten his pride pricked enough to learn on the job and be more flexible maybe the best path forward is to consider what it would take from here for him to be successful (and maybe also find some ways to hedge our bets) vs a totally new start.

You got to think big picture. The man thought his plan would work - it was obvious it wouldn?t work last year - he had an offseason to adjust and he didnt - he didn?t realize our S&C was going downhill either. He didn?t realize he was being too soft. We have a coach that lacks discernment when it comes to the game. You cant fix that with assistant changes. We can not continue to let him learn on the job and pay him 3 million. Especially when he is the last guy in the room to figure it out.

Listen closely. Football is a game that is won by staying one step ahead and we have a leader that is constantly 2 steps behind.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2019, 09:18 AM

No because we have a culture problem & all these new hires would likely suck because no good coach is coming to work for a lame duck coach. Plus, with all these changes, I'm not sure what the point of having Joe here is. You want Joe to have a staff of people he doesn't know?

He can't fix it. It's broken.

Joe may be able to have success at another job due to what he learned here, but he can't fix it here. It's just too complicated at this point for the voice to fix it.

DeputyDawg94
11-24-2019, 09:18 AM
He could make every change on that list and I still go into next season with 0 excitement because he is still the coach. There are a bunch if winnable games on the schedule next season and he will probably only win 4-5 and that’s only because he can out talent those teams.