PDA

View Full Version : Hour long chat with player's Dad after game - His Take

Goldendawg
11-24-2019, 04:28 AM
1. Jo had no idea how physical and tough SEC was. Is an "on the job training" HC.
2. His O will never work until he gets some more of "his players"
3. No leadership on team except a Tutorgate LB
4. S&C, QB, and ST coaches must go, not sure about OL coach
5. Too many young players having to play due to Dan's holes in roster, needed time to develop
6. Certain WR should have been sat down games ago, Jo won't
7. Worried about LB situation next year
8. Little team speed at WR
9. Jo now trying to make practice more physical

All said, players like Jo, thinks he deserves another year,and there is hope. I still think SloJo must go asap. Hail State!

99jc
11-24-2019, 06:45 AM
1. Jo had no idea how physical and tough SEC was. Is an "on the job training" HC.
5. Too many young players having to play due to Dan's holes in roster, needed time to develop

All said, players like Jo, thinks he deserves another year,and there is hope. I still think SloJo must go asap. Hail State!

Moorhead = Titanic …..Players that believe in him are idiots!

somebodyshotmypaw
11-24-2019, 07:24 AM
No leadership except tutorgate LB? I assume you mean Willie. And if Willie is who this team looks to for “leadership”, then i know why we suck. Good Lord.

msugolf
11-24-2019, 07:36 AM

Every kid likes the cool parents that let you drink over at their house but later on those kids (and parents) are the one who end up 17ing up in life.

Players and players parents are sometimes the worst ones to listen to in evaluating the status of the situation. Everyone loved Croom too. Texas players loved Charlie Strong. FSU players loved Taggart. Etc etc etc

MetEdDawg
11-24-2019, 07:37 AM
This is why I stayed on the Joe train longer than most. Everyone here says he's an idiot. He's not. He tried to win with his brand of football in the SEC and it didn't work. And the problem with that is once you've established norms for a season over months and months, you can't fix that in a couple weeks during the season. It's too late.

I still think right now he needs to go for reasons like #6 and #4. But here's what I will say. If he's trying to change and we end up keeping him, I hope those changes pay off. Like I said, still should go. But if he manages to win the Egg Bowl and a bowl and get to 7 wins, he would shock the hell out of most of the fan base.

This should also highlight the importance that familiarity with the SEC has. That's why I don't think it's awful to hire G5 HCs, especially ones that regularly step out there and play solid competition from the SEC

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2019, 08:30 AM
This is why I stayed on the Joe train longer than most. Everyone here says he's an idiot. He's not. He tried to win with his brand of football in the SEC and it didn't work. And the problem with that is once you've established norms for a season over months and months, you can't fix that in a couple weeks during the season. It's too late.

I still think right now he needs to go for reasons like #6 and #4. But here's what I will say. If he's trying to change and we end up keeping him, I hope those changes pay off. Like I said, still should go. But if he manages to win the Egg Bowl and a bowl and get to 7 wins, he would shock the hell out of most of the fan base.

This should also highlight the importance that familiarity with the SEC has. That's why I don't think it's awful to hire G5 HCs, especially ones that regularly step out there and play solid competition from the SEC

That is why I would like Norvell or Napier. I might prefer Napier because of his SEC experience. ULL this year was a tough game and if we played them again today I am not sure that we would win.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Well, the players and former players that I?ve talked to say the team is completely divided and Moorhead does nothing about it. Said he?s a great guy but lacks the ability to handle everything and make the changes necessary. They HATE the offense and said it?s never going to work and he?s never going to change it. Two of them are defensive guys and said even in practice the offense is bad. There’s almost no buy in on the offensive side.

dawgday166
11-24-2019, 08:47 AM
No leadership except tutorgate LB? I assume you mean Willie. And if Willie is who this team looks to for ?leadership?, then i know why we suck. Good Lord.

On the field leadership.

ETA: Things like #6 kill your locker room. 2 of the main things that killed last year were starting Hill & Guidry IMO.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Listening to Matt on the way home last night and he said if it is a called run play the O Line fires off and blocks, then who ever is running ball gains good yardage. If it is a called pass play Stevens has all the time in the World. If it is a Read play, that is hen they don't do a good job. This is where Jo screws up. Just either call for a run or call for a pass from the get go. He has talent it's just not the type talent he needs for his offense.

R2Dawg
11-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Well, the players and former players that I?ve talked to say the team is completely divided and Moorhead does nothing about it. Said he?s a great guy but lacks the ability to handle everything and make the changes necessary. They HATE the offense and said it?s never going to work and he?s never going to change it. Two of them are defensive guys and said even in practice the offense is bad. There’s almost no buy in on the offensive side.

I think everyone can see that just by observation. I think the OL coaching is real bad. Watch how many times Williams is frustrated getting on other players. They are still confused about blocking assignments. Also why Hill is likely so frustrated. They also watch Joe force Stevens in. Joe's O is a disaster.

R2Dawg
11-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Listening to Matt on the way home last night and he said if it is a called run play the O Line fires off and blocks, then who ever is running ball gains good yardage. If it is a called pass play Stevens has all the time in the World. If it is a Read play, that is hen they don't do a good job. This is where Jo screws up. Just either call for a run or call for a pass from the get go. He has talent it's just not the type talent he needs for his offense.

Makes sense. That is why our OL is confused. That kind of philosophy will not work in SEC DL speed where the OL is not decided on how to block.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2019, 09:17 AM
I actually don’t think the OL coach is bad. I just don’t think he works well with the scheme. He and Jo have had a few words. Jo doesn’t always get the correct OL call/play. Stuff like this is why a lot of the offensive guys aren’t buying in.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2019, 09:37 AM
I actually don’t think the OL coach is bad. I just don’t think he works well with the scheme. He and Jo have had a few words. Jo doesn’t always get the correct OL call/play. Stuff like this is why a lot of the offensive guys aren’t buying in.

He did a real good job at Duke. I agree. Also Matt said that he lit their asses up after the second punt. The third series they scored.

Lance Harbor
11-24-2019, 09:38 AM
This.

After Clemson barely squeaked by UNC, Dabo went to his OCs and told them to ditch the RPO. Said players were thinking too much and were too talented to underperform like that. Defenses can dictate what plays are made in the RPO. Since then Clemson has been scoring 40 plus a game.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Makes sense. That is why our OL is confused. That kind of philosophy will not work in SEC DL speed where the OL is not decided on how to block.

Last night on the first two drives when they stalled Williams the center was really piss and getting into some ass. I did not know it but Matt also said that there were three starting O Lineman out last night and one got hurt during the game. This didn't help matters.

Coursesuper
11-24-2019, 09:59 AM

I'm glad you brought this out, this and other stuff mentioned are huge issues inside the program. This stuff is a killer.

Lord McBuckethead
11-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Dude, moorhead coached at penn state. His recruiting competition was osu, michigan, and notre dame. Played them on the regular. What joe didn't understand that until he got here, only vandy was what we would call soft. Everyone else will knock your dick in the dirt.

parabrave
11-24-2019, 12:33 PM
As for #10. Its almost impossible to go from cool uncle to Mr HardAss. Most kids even back in the old days will shut your ass out.

Coach34
11-24-2019, 12:40 PM

This

Sometimes OC's will want to run something that cant be blocked against certain fronts. Doesn't fit to what you are trying to do. That's why you will see guys on the OL getting confused. Confusion makes good players look bad because they hesitate instead of going full speed.

parabrave
11-24-2019, 12:58 PM
This

Sometimes OC's will want to run something that cant be blocked against certain fronts. Doesn't fit to what you are trying to do. That's why you will see guys on the OL getting confused. Confusion makes good players look bad because they hesitate instead of going full speed.

Its not only the hesitation its the Olinemen looking at each other before the snap with the confused "what are we supposed to do" look. And then the good ol I thought you had that guy block after the play. And that is not on talent or Lack of, but all on coaching.

'

Todd4State
11-24-2019, 01:13 PM

I actually appreciate your objectivity. FWIW.

Todd4State
11-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing.

Anyone know why he insists on starting Guidry? It’s absolutely puzzling.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2019, 02:07 PM

I defended Moorhead a lot longer than most. I don't see how someone watches the UT game and then see how uncompetitive we are in SEC games and thinks Joe deserves another year. Ark just put up more points against LSU defense and that was in Baton Rouge. For whatever reason, we have a very experienced offense and we are one of the least competitive in the SEC before the game is still questionable.

I sat through every Jackie game and most of Croom. We are now about as competitive as then. Joe is destroying the culture that took Croom 2-3 years to repair from Jackie. We still have the talent to compete with 6-7 win teams but we were built to compete with 9-10 win teams.

I just have zero faith that Joe can get it turned around. He has done nothing to show he can. He has shown that he will lose to less talented teams and we won't beat teams we shouldn't. We actually don't even compete in those games. Would anyone think after 2017 that we would have won 10 games if Fitz doesn't get hurt, we now have 2nd string being put in for reps at halftime of games against SEC teams with winning records?

Goldendawg
11-24-2019, 02:21 PM
My post was longer with his take, but every time I try a long post I get kicked off (two times with this)
#10 - Wishes we could have gotten Kelly Bryant. Sees Stevens as an injury prone, career back-up who has dear in the headlights look at times, especially SEC opponents.
#11 Schrader needs S&C work, still weak after shoulder surgery. Aso needs good QB coach to improve throwing motion.
#12 - Says KT could not run system due to his passing
#13 - Says many players will transfer if Jo goes.
#14 - Worried about losing several commits if Jo goes.
#15 - O line still having problems deciding to run or pass block on RPO's.
#16 - Concerned about Jo's lack of emotion on sidelines, says he's tougher now in practice.

So it goes.

Irondawg
11-24-2019, 02:21 PM
The leadership thing is apparent, but it's also odd because at one time Dan put a lot of stock in making sure each class had several guys with high leadership skills. It's how we ended up with guys like Kendrick Market

Irondawg
11-24-2019, 02:22 PM
With the RPO I agree we look better when it's a strict run or pass. I think the RPO is something to break out for certain plays if you think you can run a formation that creates a certain defensive alignment that puts one player in conflict

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2019, 02:24 PM
The leadership thing is apparent, but it's also odd because at one time Dan put a lot of stock in making sure each class had several guys with high leadership skills. It's how we ended up with guys like Kendrick Market

It takes another level of leadership to lead the team when the coaches don't. These guys have went through two years of Moorhead off season which is where most of that is developed.

MetEdDawg
11-24-2019, 03:24 PM
My post was longer with his take, but every time I try a long post I get kicked off (two times with this)
#10 - Wishes we could have gotten Kelly Bryant. Sees Stevens as an injury prone, career back-up who has dear in the headlights look at times, especially SEC opponents.
#11 Schrader needs S&C work, still weak after shoulder surgery. Aso needs good QB coach to improve throwing motion.
#12 - Says KT could not run system due to his passing
#13 - Says many players will transfer if Jo goes.
#14 - Worried about losing several commits if Jo goes.
#15 - O line still having problems deciding to run or pass block on RPO's.
#16 - Concerned about Jo's lack of emotion on sidelines, says he's tougher now in practice.

So it goes.

I get Joe is popular among some of the players and recruits. Here's my question. With all the lack of success and not living up to expectations and not being competitive in a number of games, how in the world has he gotten so many players on his side?

I asked someone this yesterday and couldn't get a straight answer. The whole fan base wants him gone. Yet internally we've got a decent number of players who would leave with him and recruits that would decommit if he left. How has he garnered so much player popularity with our underachievement?

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2019, 04:35 PM
I get Joe is popular among some of the players and recruits. Here's my question. With all the lack of success and not living up to expectations and not being competitive in a number of games, how in the world has he gotten so many players on his side?

I asked someone this yesterday and couldn't get a straight answer. The whole fan base wants him gone. Yet internally we've got a decent number of players who would leave with him and recruits that would decommit if he left. How has he garnered so much player popularity with our underachievement?

It could be just being so much more likeable than Mullen makes him more of a players coach.

As far as recruits, Ark has had 8 decommits after Morris was fired. Those weren't 2-3 star recruits either.

I wonder how much those players love him if he starts being a total dick and changes the culture back to something similar to what Mullen had or like Saban.