PDA

View Full Version : Truths

Dawgfan77
11-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Truth 1. Some people might not believe his but we have played a shit ton of RS freshman freshman and sophomores. We have a young team that is talented.
Truth 2. We are a good hire away from being competitive again.

Truth 3. If we do end up 6-6 we still have to move on from joe. His coaching ... err lack there of and the loss of revenue not jump from season tickets but from fan and BC investment, but from an economic standpoint
We cannot afford to keep him

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 05:06 PM
There seems to be a growing sense that the Egg Bowl will decide it.

I don't think we fire him at 6-6.

As much as I think it's the right move to fire him regardless, I don't think that's the plan right now. Firing him at 6-6 would require a booster coup

Quaoarsking
11-23-2019, 05:11 PM
A home win over a 4-8 team that hasn't played in a bowl in years should never save anyone's job.

I mean, does Moorhead's win over Kentucky save his job? Because Kentucky is a better team than Ole Miss and has been for a while.

RougeDawg
11-23-2019, 05:12 PM
SloMo needs elite talent on offense for it to work. We will never have elite talent across the board on offense. Time to cut bait. He has shown that he cannot adapt to his scheme to maximize the talent he has. That is not the definition of a coach. It is the definition of a low level coordinator.

Eta. Penn State has hardly missed a beat since SloMo departed so what benefit did he actually provide them?

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I could understand Cohen thinking that a Egg Bowl win gives Joe some momentum. The problem is that it relies on fans completely forgetting about how competitive we were in SEC games this year. The problem with that is whatever team we play in a bowl game will probably end up just like every other game we have played against teams with winning records.

We won't sign a good enough class to get any momentum from it either. You just extend the downward trend we are on now only with a possibly tougher schedule next year.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 05:17 PM
There seems to be a growing sense that the Egg Bowl will decide it.

I don't think we fire him at 6-6.

As much as I think it's the right move to fire him regardless, I don't think that's the plan right now. Firing him at 6-6 would require a booster coup

Would love to be a fly on the wall in a cigar boy get together, but I'm just a lowly fan with no insider knowledge. To be honest, I'm truthfully expecting OM to beat the shit out of us and if we were to actually beat them (which I doubt), I'll be impressed. I hate like hell losing to those fks. An unexpected Egg Trophy would ease my pain a lot. Gotta admit.

Quaoarsking
11-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Would love to be a fly on the wall in a cigar boy get together, but I'm just a lowly fan with no insider knowledge. To be honest, I'm truthfully expecting OM to beat the shit out of us and if we were to actually beat them (which I doubt), I'll be impressed. I hate like hell losing to those fks. An unexpected Egg Trophy would ease my pain a lot. Gotta admit.

I won't be surprised either way, but Moorhead's offense has generally worked well against bad teams. Ole Miss is a bad team and we'll have the homefield advantage.

This would be BY FAR Moorhead's worst loss if we lost it and would be enough to lock in a firing, but I just don't see how a win like this should flip anyone back to keeping him. All SEC head coaches should win all conference home games against sub.-500 teams. That should be basic expectation at all 14 schools.

R2Dawg
11-23-2019, 05:27 PM
I won't be surprised either way, but Moorhead's offense has generally worked well against bad teams. Ole Miss is a bad team and we'll have the homefield advantage.

This would be BY FAR Moorhead's worst loss if we lost it and would be enough to lock in a firing, but I just don't see how a win like this should flip anyone back to keeping him. All SEC head coaches should win all conference home games against sub.-500 teams. That should be basic expectation at all 14 schools.

I disagree about Olemiss. They have a bad record but they are not a bad team. They have been competitive in every game. We have not.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 05:30 PM
I disagree about Olemiss. They have a bad record but they are not a bad team. They have been competitive in every game. We have not.

Agree. Look at OM this way.

If they knew what they had in JRP, do they beat Memphis & Cal?

I think so, which means they'd have 6 wins right now & playing for their 7th Thursday night. That's the team they are NOW, whether you agree or not

Dawgfan77
11-23-2019, 05:31 PM
OM is a bad team but they e play hard. We are a good team that plays week and timid. Hit us in the mouth and we quitting

Homedawg
11-23-2019, 05:35 PM

I think so, which means they'd have 6 wins right now & playing for their 7th Thursday night. That's the team they are NOW, whether you agree or not

Yes they would have beaten Memphis. They couldn't run a kick in that game.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Yep, but I'm just not sure how "bad" OM is compared to our "bad". W-L records can be deceiving and a competitive loss (moral V) is better than having your clocked cleaned before the 1st quarter is up. OM, thanks to Rich Rod changed the game plan according to what they were capable of doing and he's getting all he can from them. Us, not so much.

Would never pull for us to lose, that shit just ain't in me. But Joe needs to go coach in some good ship lollipop league where softness can get fly and get by.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2019, 05:44 PM
SloMo needs elite talent on offense for it to work. We will never have elite talent across the board on offense. Time to cut bait. He has shown that he cannot adapt to his scheme to maximize the talent he has. That is not the definition of a coach. It is the definition of a low level coordinator.

Eta. Penn State has hardly missed a beat since SloMo departed so what benefit did he actually provide them?

actually, the numbers that someone posted suggest that JoMo underachieved at Penn State considering the talent he had.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2019, 05:45 PM
OM is a bad team but they e play hard. We are a good team that plays week and timid. Hit us in the mouth and we quitting

Hell, we have quit some games getting off the bus. We really have a 2003 mindset where the team didn't care and the coaches were phoning it in.

chef dixon
11-23-2019, 05:49 PM
We should have put the full court press on Satterfield

Dolphus Raymond
11-23-2019, 05:53 PM
For what it is worth, I heard from what I guess is a pretty good source that if we lose to Ole Miss, Joe will be let go. If he wins, better than50/50 he stays. He may not be the best source, but he’s the best I got.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Man U said it! What a great job he's doing at a decimated UL.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 06:04 PM
For what it is worth, I heard from what I guess is a pretty good source that if we lose to Ole Miss, Joe will be let go. If he wins, better than50/50 he stays. He may not be the best source, but he’s the best I got.

Ifyouonlyknew and AriGold seem to have great insider info on the recruiting board, would love to know if they have any insider info on our coaching situation.

dawgday166
11-23-2019, 06:10 PM

I hate even thinking about how he didn't seem to be seriously considered for our job.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 06:13 PM
I hate even thinking about how he didn't seem to be seriously considered for our job.

I'm wondering how truthful it is that the Utah HC wanted to talk to us as well.

dawgday166
11-23-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering how truthful it is that the Utah HC wanted to talk to us as well.

Me too but I will say I probably wouldn't pick butting heads with Saban and our recruiting environment over Utah. He got a lifetime job there whether he wins Pac-12 or not IMO. And if he wins Pac-12 with one loss a possible bid to CFP at some point.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Me too but I will say I probably wouldn't pick butting heads with Saban and our recruiting environment over Utah. He got a lifetime job there whether he wins Pac-12 or not IMO. And if he wins Pac-12 with one loss a possible bid to CFP at some point.

Yep, he's got a lot less pressure up there and is being paid well. That's why I'm wondering about the truthfulness of it. Maybe he was parlaying it into more $ from the Mormons.

chef dixon
11-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Man U said it! What a great job he's doing at a decimated UL.

Makes me sick. Louisville was a lifeless program last year

TheLostDawg
11-23-2019, 06:53 PM
I think that we're okay if we win the egg bowl, keep Moorhead, and go after a big-time offensive coordinator (either A. Top up and coming coach, example-Joe Brady is the only reason LSU is ranked number one right now; B. We get a top offensive coordinator with the possibility of promoting to head coach or keeping on board if he turns us around on offense but still let Morehead go next year because we're undisciplined and unprepared; that's the only way keeping him is okay). I feel like we can get a good strength and conditioning coach either way considering if more head gets cut next year the s&c coach will likely remain on board. Also, I think we are okay if we lose the egg bowl, which I hope doesn't happen, and cut Morehead (if we're able to bring a good HC over which Cohen better be figuring out now before we cut Moorhead two years in).

The only situation that I see puts us in a really big hole is if we lose the egg bowl and keep Moorhead. Not to say winning the egg bowl and keeping moorehead will not keep us in this hole (if staff changes are made) but it will not decimate the program like keeping Moorhead if we lose the egg bowl.

-this isn't a post saying to keep Moorhead if we win. I'd like a good replacement either way. I just don't think it levels us if..(see above).

Quaoarsking
11-23-2019, 06:54 PM

That may be true, but we too could have an extra win or two had we played a different QB.

It's all speculation. It could have been a game of two teams who've already qualified for bowls, but it's not.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2019, 07:01 PM
I think that we're okay if we win the egg bowl, keep Moorhead, and go after a big-time offensive coordinator (either A. Top up and coming coach, example-Joe Brady is the only reason LSU is ranked number one right now; B. We get a top offensive coordinator with the possibility of promoting to head coach or keeping on board if he turns us around on offense but still let Morehead go next year because we're undisciplined and unprepared; that's the only way keeping him is okay). I feel like we can get a good strength and conditioning coach either way considering if more head gets cut next year the s&c coach will likely remain on board. Also, I think we are okay if we lose the egg bowl, which I hope doesn't happen, and cut Morehead (if we're able to bring a good HC over which Cohen better be figuring out now before we cut Moorhead two years in).

The only situation that I see puts us in a really big hole is if we lose the egg bowl and keep Moorhead. Not to say winning the egg bowl and keeping moorehead will not keep us in this hole (if staff changes are made) but it will not decimate the program like keeping Moorhead if we lose the egg bowl.

-this isn't a post saying to keep Moorhead if we win. I'd like a good replacement either way. I just don't think it levels us if..(see above).

I think there is zero chance we hire an offensive coordinator. Joe has been emphatic that he is calling the plays.

Dawgfan77
11-23-2019, 07:29 PM

Look I don?t mind where your heads at but SloMo ain?t hiring an OC. He thinks he invented this offense and will never give up the play calling duties. Also, who worth a damn is gong to come in here for one year with a guy that is going to be fired.
Best just to end it now

TheLostDawg
11-23-2019, 07:33 PM
I think there is zero chance we hire an offensive coordinator. Joe has been emphatic that he is calling the plays.

Hopefully he gets let go after a win and we don't find out but I feel like Moorhead will stay on if we win and then go after someone he knows, like he should have gone after Brady before LSU since he " knew how great he was". Maybe not listed as OC but someone to help with plays. Moorhead probably won't let him call until the ship sinks next year but I just feel there will be new blood on offense. I imagine Cohen is going to make sure of this along with a larger budget considering it's Cohen's butt on the line too if Moorhead remains in another year. Cohen can play off making a bad hire but he can't play off keeping someone on that everyone wants gone and not having big changes being made. That would directly reflect on Cohen's ability of making big decisions as an AD.
Aka it's one thing making a bad hire, it's another thing to sit there and do nothing.