PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like SEC Football Scheduling Could be About To Change

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Seems like the 3-5 model is gaining some traction.

Would be fun & probably increase attendance since there would be more variety in who we play from year to year.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sec-looking-at-new-scheduling-model-jimbo-fisher-says/

Jack Lambert
11-22-2019, 03:39 PM
So if Bama is not one of our permanent opponents then we would play them once every five years and only go to Tuscaloosa once every ten years. Did I understand that correctly and if so I am in.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:43 PM
So if Bama is not one of our permanent opponents then we would play them once every five years and only go to Tuscaloosa once every ten years. If that's the case hell yeah I am in.

No. In the 3-5 Model, we would go to Tusky 1 every 4 years & play Bama every other year.

3 permanent opponents: OM, Auburn, KY

Then the rest of the league would be divided into 2 5 team pools that you would play one pool every year.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:46 PM
https://i.imgur.com/yyPncF6.jpg

Jack Lambert
11-22-2019, 04:01 PM
No. In the 3-5 Model, we would go to Tusky 1 every 4 years & play Bama every other year.

Then the rest of the league would be divided into 2 5 team pools that you would play one pool every year.

I would take all that.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 04:02 PM
I would take all that.

Absolutely.

Would give us an infinitely better chance of catching a "down" schedule every once in a while

Tbonewannabe
11-22-2019, 05:03 PM
And the schedule that Peter Burns text was our permanent teams were Auburn, UK, and Ole Miss. I would love this. I believe this would have a player actually visit every stadium.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 05:10 PM
And the schedule that Peter Burns text was our permanent teams were Auburn, UK, and Ole Miss. I would love this. I believe this would have a player actually visit every stadium.

No doubt & with how Auburn is up & down, you could have a year where things line up with a fairly easy schedule.

Best case scenario for us is that Bama & Georgia end up in one POD for us & LSU & Florida end up in another.

That way every other year, our schedule would consist of something like Ole Miss, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU, Florida, South Carolina, & Arkansas. With that schedule, it's conceivable that we could compete for 9 or 10 wins every other year.

Randolph Dupree
11-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Man, that would eliminate Bama and LSU from every year. That would be amazing. We get the right coach this next go around and get this type of scheduling and we'd have a legit chance at making a run at the SEC championship on occasion.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 05:12 PM
Man, that would eliminate Bama and LSU from every year. That would be amazing. We get the right coach this next go around and get this type of scheduling and we'd have a legit chance at making a run at the SEC championship on occasion.

Absolutely, It would be huge for us. We would have to play UGA more, which could suck, but they just aren't Bama.

ckDOG
11-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Sign me up for this immediately

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 05:17 PM
If we were lucky under this model, instead of each year's schedule being basically the same in difficulty, 1 year's schedule would brutally hard in which we were just fighting for bowl eligibility & the other year would give us a chance for ATL.

dantheman4248
11-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Man. An MSU schedule without LSU or Alabama feels weird and wrong. We've played them 100+ times. We're their most common opponent. (Ole Miss is ours).

Overall it's a step in the right direction but I don't know how to feel about that trio. I'd rather have a little tradition than a maybe easier schedule. Gotta beat the best to be the best and it feels weak to avoid some of our longest standing rivals because they are up right now. What happens when bama ****s up the hire after saban?

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Man. An MSU schedule without LSU or Alabama feels weird and wrong. We've played them 100+ times. We're their most common opponent. (Ole Miss is ours).

Overall it's a step in the right direction but I don't know how to feel about that trio. I'd rather have a little tradition than a maybe easier schedule. Gotta beat the best to be the best and it feels weak to avoid some of our longest standing rivals because they are up right now. What happens when bama ****s up the hire after saban?

Well Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson, USC, Texas, Notre Dame, etc have built mighty good programs by not having to beat the best. Not sure why we have too.

I think it would be great for us & give us a much much better chance of developing into something more than we are now.

And overall, we'd be playing LSU & Bama every other year. it's not like we won't be playing them often

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 05:49 PM
If you are going to have 14 teams in your conference, you need to play 9-10 conference games. 8 is ridiculous. Never should have added Mizzou.

dawgs
11-22-2019, 05:55 PM
If you are going to have 14 teams in your conference, you need to play 9-10 conference games. 8 is ridiculous.

I agree there should be 9 conference games.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 06:28 PM
If you are going to have 14 teams in your conference, you need to play 9-10 conference games. 8 is ridiculous. Never should have added Mizzou.

Agree, but now with the mandatory power 5 non con, I don't see 9 conference games coming

Todd4State
11-22-2019, 08:43 PM
If you are MSU you should be in massive favor of this. I’m not sure how it will exactly play out and it may not make much of a difference as far difficulty unless we have a year where we play Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc. opposite every blue blood in the SEC. Whatever the case it’s still better for MSU and for SEC fans and players in general. I really like the idea of playing everyone everywhere every four years.

I wish the SEC would do away with the mandatory power five and go to nine SEC games. I never have liked that and to be honest I would much rather watch us play USM, Memphis, Tulane, or La Tech than a random ACC team or Big 12 team.

The biggest hurdle I think is Alabama and what Saban wants to do. The league basically caters to him. Which tells you how bad Hugh Freeze screwed up.

If MSU does start winning big with this format they’ll change it- which is what happened after we won the SEC West in 98 and then followed up with 10 wins the next year. Because we had Vanderbilt, South Carolina (0-11 at that time), and Kentucky on our East rotation. They said it was too easy for us- but it’s not our fault that Alabama insisted on playing Tennessee which was a NC contender then. And if any team deserves a schedule break it’s MSU after years of playing Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss all in a row when we didn’t have to in the 60’s.

I consider Alabama and LSU rivals for us but splitting those games up and/or playing them once every other year wouldn’t bother me one bit.

I’m pretty sure this format would do away with divisions so I don’t know how many times we would slip into the SEC Title game with this format. They’ll have to come up with some interesting tie breakers.

TUSK
11-22-2019, 09:57 PM
If you are MSU you should be in massive favor of this. I’m not sure how it will exactly play out and it may not make much of a difference as far difficulty unless we have a year where we play Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc. opposite every blue blood in the SEC. Whatever the case it’s still better for MSU and for SEC fans and players in general. I really like the idea of playing everyone everywhere every four years.

I wish the SEC would do away with the mandatory power five and go to nine SEC games. I never have liked that and to be honest I would much rather watch us play USM, Memphis, Tulane, or La Tech than a random ACC team or Big 12 team.

The biggest hurdle I think is Alabama and what Saban wants to do. The league basically caters to him. Which tells you how bad Hugh Freeze screwed up.

If MSU does start winning big with this format they’ll change it- which is what happened after we won the SEC West in 98 and then followed up with 10 wins the next year. Because we had Vanderbilt, South Carolina (0-11 at that time), and Kentucky on our East rotation. They said it was too easy for us- but it’s not our fault that Alabama insisted on playing Tennessee which was a NC contender then. And if any team deserves a schedule break it’s MSU after years of playing Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss all in a row when we didn’t have to in the 60’s.

I consider Alabama and LSU rivals for us but splitting those games up and/or playing them once every other year wouldn’t bother me one bit.

I’m pretty sure this format would do away with divisions so I don’t know how many times we would slip into the SEC Title game with this format. They’ll have to come up with some interesting tie breakers.

Saban has been advocating for a 9 game intraconference schedule for a while, now... Very few SEC coaches are on board (he might be alone)....

I'd like that or the 5-3 deal you cats are talkin' about over what we have now...

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Personally I'd like to see us expand to 16 or 18 teams and have ZERO cross division games. I'm traditionalist. Inter league play in baseball is a sign of the apocalypse. �� Seriously the divisions need to be kept. We need to figure out a way, if we are going to keep them, to get Missouri into the West where they belong. The obvious way is to put Auburn in the east. If Bama wants to play both them and UT every year then one of them can be a non-SEC game. It's time the SEC either acknowledges Bama is the Texas of the SEC or starts treating them like everybody else.

Dawgology
11-22-2019, 10:50 PM

So...you’re a masochist...

Todd4State
11-22-2019, 11:39 PM
Another thought- there are some rivalries that the SEC could have that would be good. Think about MSU vs Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia. Those are all potentially good rivalries on par with MSU/Auburn and playing those games more often would be good for everyone.

There are other potential rivalries like that throughout the league too.

dantheman4248
11-23-2019, 04:24 AM
So...you’re a masochist...

Kinda got Stockholm I guess.

Still the big home games for MSU are OM, Bama, and LSU. Auburn sometimes; however, those first 3 are what we show up for regardless of record.

Also I would personally prefer 10 game conference schedule with 7-3 format. 7 permanent and the other 6 rotated every 2 years. Keeps divisions in tact and solves the same problem as 3-5. But 10 game conference is still a long long ways away.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Still the big home games for MSU are OM, Bama, and LSU. Auburn sometimes; however, those first 3 are what we show up for regardless of record.

Also I would personally prefer 10 game conference schedule with 7-3 format. 7 permanent and the other 6 rotated every 2 years. Keeps divisions in tact and solves the same problem as 3-5. But 10 game conference is still a long long ways away.

Those are the big ones because those are the ones on the schedule. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, etc would do the same.

Churchill
11-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Realistically, If the league decided to do this today how long would it take to shuffle all these schedules ?

msstate7
11-23-2019, 08:29 AM
It would hurt us for sure, but for the purpose of keeping a quality product, 9 sec games and 1 P5 should be required. Today's sec schedule is awful, and it hasn't been the only really bad week

TheLostDawg
11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Yeah but how would ole Miss play all their "rivals" in one season? How could deal without having the egg bowl, the magnolia bowl, Alabama hate week, and not getting to play Arkansas in the same yeah. I guess that they would still be able to schedule Memphis. I bet that they'd say that they should drop us to make them feel important but deep down know better.

Apoplectic
11-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Saban has been advocating for a 9 game intraconference schedule for a while, now... Very few SEC coaches are on board (he might be alone)....

I'd like that or the 5-3 deal you cats are talkin' about over what we have now...

yes sabans wants to add vandy or uk as a 9th game - mighty brave of this conman

TUSK
11-23-2019, 11:41 AM
yes sabans wants to add vandy or uk as a 9th game - mighty brave of this conman

You should pace yourself, buddy...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a1xH26Wag3A/UmdcdJGu3hI/AAAAAAAAEPQ/pb8SzGGXYPs/s1600/RedDawn1984-Balisong-400-3-sg.gif

DawgPoundtheRock
11-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Under the 3-5 format, it would be our luck that our 3 permanent rivals are OM, LSU and Bama. We are, after all, Mississippi State.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 11:57 AM
I think it would bring more parity to the SEC. Things come and go regarding program dominance. This would IMO prevent unfairly difficult or overly easy paths to the ATL for the whole league. Might make MSU's HC Gig more attractive as well.

Cooterpoot
11-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Did I see where today is the first time
A&M has ever played GA since being in the SEC? How does that happen (If true)?

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2019, 12:01 PM
https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20734585/college-football-divisions-pod-system

Great breakdown of the schedule shake out. They even get the strength of schedule close to equal. Looking at it, most teams have one tough game in their permanent opponents.

Todd4State
11-23-2019, 12:13 PM

But it would enhance our rivalries with Tennessee and Florida. And it really wouldn’t take away from LSU and Alabama. It’s better for MSU as far as big games IMO unless there is one really lean year which is actually less likely under this format.

I think it would bring more parity to the SEC. Things come and go regarding program dominance. This would IMO prevent unfairly difficult or overly easy paths to the ATL for the whole league. Might make MSU's HC Gig more attractive as well.

I agree.

Realistically, If the league decided to do this today how long would it take to shuffle all these schedules ?

The SEC could implement this in 2020 if they wanted to. My guess is 2024 at the earliest and 2021 as the realist earliest they could do it.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Agree completely.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 12:36 PM
https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20734585/college-football-divisions-pod-system

Great breakdown of the schedule shake out. They even get the strength of schedule close to equal. Looking at it, most teams have one tough game in their permanent opponents.

Yup & sign me up for Auburn being our "tough game" every year. They are good but aren't 1st tier good

It'll be interesting to see how much OM loves that LSU game every year when we get Auburn instead

Todd4State
11-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Yup & sign me up for Auburn being our "tough game" every year. They are good but aren't 1st tier good

It'll be interesting to see how much OM loves that LSU game every year when we get Auburn instead

Things can change with teams though. Auburn could become a consistent super power and Alabama and LSU could fall off five years from now. Like in the 1990’s Alabama was basically about what Auburn is now and LSU was bad most years while Tennessee and Florida were one-two loss teams. There is no way for us to game the system. But I do think this format will also potentially lend itself to more 10 win seasons for us if not more.

LC Dawg
11-23-2019, 01:29 PM
It may hurt Mississippi State but I wish the SEC would ban its members from playing FCS teams. Bama and Auburn playing bad Southern Conference teams the week before the Iron Bowl is an embarrassment to all those "SEC! SEC!" cheers and the "It Just Means More" commercials.

Todd4State
11-23-2019, 01:31 PM
It may hurt Mississippi State but I wish the SEC would ban its members from playing FCS teams. Bama and Auburn playing bad Southern Conference teams the week before the Iron Bowl is an embarrassment to all those "SEC! SEC!" cheers and the "It Just Means More" commercials.

Will never happen until the NCAA allows preseason games.

dantheman4248
11-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Things can change with teams though. Auburn could become a consistent super power and Alabama and LSU could fall off five years from now. Like in the 1990’s Alabama was basically about what Auburn is now and LSU was bad most years while Tennessee and Florida were one-two loss teams. There is no way for us to game the system. But I do think this format will also potentially lend itself to more 10 win seasons for us if not more.

This. That's why I'm happy to keep OM-Bama-LSU. 20 years ago those were down and we made the conf champ game

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2019, 01:59 PM
This. That's why I'm happy to keep OM-Bama-LSU. 20 years ago those were down and we made the conf champ game

You would definitely be in the minority here.

Todd4State
11-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Really the Egg Bowl is the only team I would want to play every year regardless. I doubt that will be an issue no matter the scheduling format. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia are all about the same to me. Texas A&M too. The rest are at about the same level as USM, Memphis, Tulane, and UAB to me as far as rivalries go and my personal interest. I guess UK wants a football rivalry with us but I feel the same way about them as I would imagine most LSU fans feel about Ole Miss.

I?m totally Ok playing Alabama and LSU every other year or however they want to do it. I think it?s just better for everyone in general.

OLJWales
11-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Really the Egg Bowl is the only team I would want to play every year regardless. I doubt that will be an issue no matter the scheduling format. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia are all about the same to me. Texas A&M too. The rest are at about the same level as USM, Memphis, Tulane, and UAB to me as far as rivalries go and my personal interest. I guess UK wants a football rivalry with us but I feel the same way about them as I would imagine most LSU fans feel about Ole Miss.

I?m totally Ok playing Alabama and LSU every other year or however they want to do it. I think it?s just better for everyone in general.

Yep. Buy.

R2Dawg
11-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Seems like the 3-5 model is gaining some traction.

Would be fun & probably increase attendance since there would be more variety in who we play from year to year.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sec-looking-at-new-scheduling-model-jimbo-fisher-says/

That would be a win for us and bring some parody to the SEC. I've said it for years that divisions in football need to go. When SECW has dominated past 10 years. SECE been non relevant.

War Machine Dawg
11-23-2019, 09:00 PM
I still think a 9 game schedule is the simplest, best solution. It preserves divisions and traditional rivalries but ensures everyone plays more often. And I wouldn't be sad about replacing the P5 game with another SEC school.

Apoplectic
11-23-2019, 09:54 PM
You should pace yourself, buddy...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a1xH26Wag3A/UmdcdJGu3hI/AAAAAAAAEPQ/pb8SzGGXYPs/s1600/RedDawn1984-Balisong-400-3-sg.gif

17off no seriously leave - no one gives a 17 what sabans is whining about