PDA

View Full Version : Dak-Film Room Study by Patriots-Good Stuff

Commercecomet24
11-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Awesome breakdown on Dak and his abilities as a passer and in reading defenses.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/11/22/20972667/nfl-week-12-film-room-dak-prescott-cowboys-patriots

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 10:55 AM
You think Joe could grasp all of that? *

Commercecomet24
11-22-2019, 11:00 AM
You think Joe could grasp all of that? *

Excellent! Rep!

Leroy Jenkins
11-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Awesome breakdown on Dak and his abilities as a passer and in reading defenses.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/11/22/20972667/nfl-week-12-film-room-dak-prescott-cowboys-patriots

Man, if only it were that simple in college football. You see, in college you cant just call a play and execute it. You have to line up, survey the D, and call a new play. This allows the D to think they dictate what you run. Then, once all that confusion has been worked through, and the ball is snapped frantically (with 1 sec on the play-clock) the play begins.
During the play everyone must have "options" depending on what the D looks like. The QB/RB/WR must all then decide if the play is run or pass through implicit communication, because everyone sees the same defensive alignment (and the D never changes post-snap). This has the added benefit of helping out the OL because now they can just execute their combo run/pass blocking scheme and be right in both scenarios and they don't have to worry about being too aggressive or too passive, O-linemen like that.
Now that the play is in progress the QB/RB/WR all have decisions to be made while running full speed and being chased by some of the best athletes in the world. The QB has his option reads, the WRs have their option routes, nothing is predetermined like it is in those NFL examples you presented; that way you can never be wrong you just have to say that you saw it a certain way. Now, this is some "inside baseball" here but, I'm also going to add the fact that a little bit of confusion is good because it keeps the players from executing full speed. You see if the players don't have any predetermined actions to speed them up, processing all these options on the fly restricts them to executing at 75% exertion. This is important because in the 4th quarter they will still have some energy reserved to close-out the game.

I know this is a little bit of a ramble but I said all that to explain why, even though I wish it was, it just cant be that simple in college. College defenses are too smart, they are in college after all, duh.