PDA

View Full Version : Great opportunity vs. a ranked team today..

drunkernhelldawg
11-22-2019, 10:26 AM
I like our chances to some extent, but we need to figure out how to get quality shots against the zone.

PMDawg
11-22-2019, 10:39 AM
6.5 point dogs, FPI gives us 32% chance to win. That's actually not bad. If we can pull it out, or at least keep it competitive the entire game then it will definitely be a positive sign. I wish we had Nick for this one.

Ezsoil
11-22-2019, 10:42 AM
All depends if they can play a game and keep the turnovers under 15. They are averaging nearly 20 a game against inferior teams

timotheus
11-22-2019, 10:44 AM
need to hit the free pitches too

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how we do. This is by far the best team we have played. It's a good measuring stick. We might pull a surprise, we will see.

wild_dawg
11-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Real excited to see how we do. I know its early, but a win would really help our NET ranking.

smootness
11-22-2019, 10:51 AM
All depends if they can play a game and keep the turnovers under 15. They are averaging nearly 20 a game against inferior teams

We won't keep the TO under 15, and I'm not even sure I want that to be a goal for us. I want to keep attacking, keep getting the ball inside, and keep playing good defense and rebounding. We will be tough just the way we've been playing.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Regardless of what happens this helps our NET. The win yesterday was massive simply based off the fact that without getting to play Nova there's a chance we wouldn't play a ranked team in the nonconference and that's something the committee really looks for. Today will be a good test for us. Pulling it out today might be one of the biggest wins of the Howland era.

smootness
11-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Regardless of what happens this helps our NET. The win yesterday was massive simply based off the fact that without getting to play Nova there's a chance we wouldn't play a ranked team in the nonconference and that's something the committee really looks for. Today will be a good test for us. Pulling it out today might be one of the biggest wins of the Howland era.

Yep, you're right that yesterday was the biggest game of the tournament for us because it means we play Villanova, and it's far better to play Villanova and lose than to never play them. In fact, beating them would also be huge, but it would be huge in part because it would likely mean we play another good opponent. The difference between beating Villanova and losing to Villanova is not as big as the difference between losing to Villanova and never playing Villanova.

It will help our non-conference RPI and NET a ton to play Villanova, and it would be absolutely huge to beat them.

msudawglb
11-22-2019, 11:30 AM
I watched some of the game yesterday....to me, the lack of a true point guard is the most gaping hole this team has. It looked borderline uncomfortable yesterday at the top of the key.

smootness
11-22-2019, 11:32 AM
I watched some of the game yesterday....to me, the lack of a true point guard is the most gaping hole this team has. It looked borderline uncomfortable yesterday at the top of the key.

Good thing we will get our PG back in a few games.

msudawglb
11-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Also, I'll add, if Perry would just decide that he's going to take over, no one would be able to stop him. He's just missing that killer, I'm the man, attitude. I want to see him take ever possession when he's in the lane as if he's Shawn Kemp. He has the skill set, the size, and the athleticism to do it. Just needs the mentality.

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Also, I'll add, if Perry would just decide that he's going to take over, no one would be able to stop him. He's just missing that killer, I'm the man, attitude. I want to see him take ever possession when he's in the lane as if he's Shawn Kemp. He has the skill set, the size, and the athleticism to do it. Just needs the mentality.

I like Perry a lot and think he's a pro. But I think Nova has one of 2 guys that can play with him most likely. Perry isn't Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton ... or Magic or Bird either.

chef dixon
11-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Tulane is ass waxing MTSU

smootness
11-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Tulane is ass waxing MTSU

Because MTSU is garbage.

Ezsoil
11-22-2019, 01:52 PM
We won't keep the TO under 15, and I'm not even sure I want that to be a goal for us. I want to keep attacking, keep getting the ball inside, and keep playing good defense and rebounding. We will be tough just the way we've been playing.

Well I have a different view....you can be aggressive and not be sloppy...I view turnovers like walks in baseball...they aren't acceptable in any circumstance

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 01:59 PM
I like that Tulane coach ... he's a hoot.

smootness
11-22-2019, 07:31 PM
I like that Tulane coach ... he's a hoot.

Ron Hunter is awesome. Loved him at Georgia State.

smootness
11-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Well I have a different view....you can be aggressive and not be sloppy...I view turnovers like walks in baseball...they aren't acceptable in any circumstance

Sure, my only point was that I would rather us err on the side of being aggressive instead of on the side of making sure we don't turn it over. So the coaches need to continue to emphasize how to be smart while being aggressive, but mostly I want them to continue to push us to be aggressive. Which I thought we did a much better job of today.

MarketingBully
11-23-2019, 08:35 AM
I like Perry a lot and think he's a pro. But I think Nova has one of 2 guys that can play with him most likely. Perry isn't Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton ... or Magic or Bird either.

Perry was miles better then anyone Nova put on him yesterday and Nova had two McD at the 4 and 5 positions. Perry is a monster down low. Just needs to own the paint and only take outside shots if they are there and wide open. Really with Woodard and Perry down low there shouldn’t be many teams that can hang with our front court.

MarketingBully
11-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Woodard plays how I wish Kegler would have played. A 6’7” 230 pound 3/4 can do a lot in college and can make enough noise to make it in the NBA as well. Love Woodard’s game.

chef dixon
11-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Perry was miles better then anyone Nova put on him yesterday and Nova had two McD at the 4 and 5 positions. Perry is a monster down low. Just needs to own the paint and only take outside shots if they are there and wide open. Really with Woodard and Perry down low there shouldn’t be many teams that can hang with our front court.

I would not say miles ahead. That funny looking kid who was a 5 star recruit had his way around the basket and dropped 22-7-3 on 9/12 shooting. Kid pissed me off but he was damn good.

MarketingBully
11-23-2019, 10:38 AM
I would not say miles ahead. That funny looking kid who was a 5 star recruit had his way around the basket and dropped 22-7-3 on 9/12 shooting. Kid pissed me off but he was damn good.

Not on the defensive side. No one could guard Perry down low on their team. Had we worked it inside all game we’d of been fine.

dawgday166
11-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Perry was miles better then anyone Nova put on him yesterday and Nova had two McD at the 4 and 5 positions. Perry is a monster down low. Just needs to own the paint and only take outside shots if they are there and wide open. Really with Woodard and Perry down low there shouldn?t be many teams that can hang with our front court.

I love Perry and he had some good numbers 18 pts/10 rebs and played a really good game. I seem to recall he had quite a few shots blocked too. I think you're embellishing just a little on this one. Not saying he wasn't better but "miles" better is a big stretch.

Liverpooldawg
11-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Not on the defensive side. No one could guard Perry down low on their team. Had we worked it inside all game we’d of been fine.

They took him out of the game in the second half.

MarketingBully
11-23-2019, 12:36 PM
They took him out of the game in the second half.

You must have been watching a different game...even the announcers were saying Nova couldn’t guard him. At no point did they shut Perry out.