PDA

View Full Version : SEC about to get PAID!

Pinto
11-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Great article by Talty today on the new tv contracts for the SEC and CBS. Current deal is at $55 mil a year and new deal is expected to be $200 - $300 mill a year. Our athletic department budget may be going up again.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/11/inside-the-sec-on-cbs-contract-discussions-and-what-could-come-next.html

OLJWales
11-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Can we leverage any of that to payoff Joe?

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 02:34 PM
I've been talking about this for a year with all my stadium ideas.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 02:50 PM
- Personally, I don't really care what channel SEC games are on. I just want the most money so that MSU can build my 17ing roof at DWS

- We all know that 11:00 AM games are here to stay, but hopefully they will create terms that make those games be chosen prior the season to spread them around. We all have a pretty good idea of what games will be on the SEC Network anyway, so just choose from pool in July instead of two weeks before. Would help fans dramatically in prep for those games from hotel rooms to travel. Attendance would go up

- Seems that SEC will have to decide on: do we accept a deal with CBS now & see the amount of TV money in the conference balloon over the next two years or do we wait till the CBS deal runs out & create a bidding war & not see the pay day for 4 years

- The SEC is doing the right thing by trying to prevent CBS from having "right of refusal". Getting rid of that would motivate CBS to make a deal now.

- If I'm the SEC, I give CBS a number of about $280 mil annually for the package or the SEC will let the TV deal run out. CBS can either step & potentially over pay or go pound sand & let the free market determine the outcome in 4 years.

Homedawg
11-21-2019, 03:13 PM
We aren't building a roof .......give it a rest

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 03:15 PM
We aren't building a roof .......give it a rest

Why not?

We need more bad mitten domes instead of actual features that would increase football attendance? Or are we just punting on drawing better?

RougeDawg
11-21-2019, 03:18 PM
If we keep SloMo any longer than November 28th, we will not have to worry about addressing accommodating extra attendance for a long time.

This coming weekend they may as well just open the gates and let everyone in for free. Lower level tickets at the 50 are going for $6. That should be the final hole in SloMos circus tent.

Pinto
11-21-2019, 03:25 PM
If we do anything for the stadium, I'd like to see chair backs for the entire lower level. Kentucky did it over four years for their entire stadium. I like that idea too.

Otherwise, enclose the south end zone only to the height of the lower bowl. Knock down the west upper deck and build back with a club level, press box level and nothing on top. You could leave it where that is a possibility in the future but I don't seeing us needing seats up there for 10+ years.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 03:33 PM
If we do anything for the stadium, I'd like to see chair backs for the entire lower level. Kentucky did it over four years for their entire stadium. I like that idea too.

Otherwise, enclose the south end zone only to the height of the lower bowl. Knock down the west upper deck and build back with a club level, press box level and nothing on top. You could leave it where that is a possibility in the future but I don't seeing us needing seats up there for 10+ years.

Dude, we're going to be getting an extra $17 mil per year from TV. We can do more than just chair back the lower level.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1kHCoVt9c7DI8N4ETs/giphy.gif

Homedawg
11-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Why not?

We need more bad mitten domes instead of actual features that would increase football attendance? Or are we just punting on drawing better?

It's hot. It's always been hot. Hell we didn't even have lights until the mid 80's. People are just softer these days. It's not practical to spend a gazillion $ on some shade that won't cover much of anything for a couple of games. Put a good product on the field and create excitement and they will come. Heat be damned. See Texas 91. Hot and raining.

Homedawg
11-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Dude, we're going to be getting an extra $17 mil per year from TV. We can do more than just chair back the lower level.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1kHCoVt9c7DI8N4ETs/giphy.gif

We just paid off the east side expansion bond payments. And what you want would be way more expensive. We need stuff done at Davis wade but a roof ain't one of them. Don't know why to care anyway. You're watching it on the flat screen.

Commercecomet24
11-21-2019, 04:54 PM
It's hot. It's always been hot. Hell we didn't even have lights until the mid 80's. People are just softer these days. It's not practical to spend a gazillion $ on some shade that won't cover much of anything for a couple of games. Put a good product on the field and create excitement and they will come. Heat be damned. See Texas 91. Hot and raining.

This. I remember that Texas game lol! I sat through the Auburn game in 92 when the tornado went through east of Starkville and I watched the second half of a game with Arkansas in the mid 90s(forget the year) in a torrential downpour and plenty of others lol.

Coursesuper
11-21-2019, 05:09 PM
This. I remember that Texas game lol! I sat through the Auburn game in 92 when the tornado went through east of Starkville and I watched the second half of a game with Arkansas in the mid 90s(forget the year) in a torrential downpour and plenty of others lol.

That TX game was so hot a drunk lady sitting next to us got pissed at her husband and said " Can't you just stop that sweat'n." We still laugh about it. It was miserable that afternoon.

CLTDAWG94
11-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Second post ever on this board. New to ED. I was at that TX game. Class of 94. Had to wear a jacket and tie ( yes, fraternity guy here ). I was miserable, but we won. The castration game !!

Commercecomet24
11-21-2019, 05:28 PM
That TX game was so hot a drunk lady sitting next to us got pissed at her husband and said " Can't you just stop that sweat'n." We still laugh about it. It was miserable that afternoon.

Now that's funny! Yeah that was a miserably hot day! I was a lot younger then though so it wasn't as bad lol!

TALL DAWG
11-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Great article by Talty today on the new tv contracts for the SEC and CBS. Current deal is at $55 mil a year and new deal is expected to be $200 - $300 mill a year. Our athletic department budget may be going up again.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/11/inside-the-sec-on-cbs-contract-discussions-and-what-could-come-next.html

?...Budget MAY BE going up...?
Will not be any MAY BE to it!

Maybe we can hire a good S&C and a Special Teams Coach now...

Coursesuper
11-21-2019, 05:44 PM
?...Budget MAY BE going up...?
Will not be any MAY BE to it!

Maybe we can hire a good S&C and a Special Teams Coach now...

Instead of building "roofs" we can join the rest of the world paying assistants and analysts.

basedog
11-21-2019, 05:49 PM
We just paid off the east side expansion bond payments. And what you want would be way more expensive. We need stuff done at Davis wade but a roof ain't one of them. Don't know why to care anyway. You're watching it on the flat screen.

Overweight folks need shade****

Dawgbite
11-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Overweight folks need shade****

Overweight folks cast shade*****

OLJWales
11-21-2019, 07:32 PM
BOWL DWS. Bowl the mutha all around.

Bothrops
11-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Biggest waste of money I can think of in a DWS roof over. Hell why not just put a roof over DNF while we're at it.

Coursesuper
11-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Biggest waste of money I can think of in a DWS roof over. Hell why not just put a roof over DNF while we're at it.

It should be a giant movable roof that can sit over the junction for tailgating the move on a track to cover the entire stadium for the game. This way folks are never in the sun or rain. ***

WSOPdawg
11-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Instead of building "roofs" we can join the rest of the world paying assistants and analysts.

and decent S&C coaches. Please, pretty please.

chef dixon
11-21-2019, 08:58 PM
We don?t need more seats. I love the hotel idea to enclose the end zone

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 07:25 AM

DNF does have a shade roof.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 07:26 AM
We don?t need more seats. I love the hotel idea to enclose the end zone

Chair back the stadium and then bowl in SEZ