PDA

View Full Version : Men's basketball - Myrtle Beach invitational

Pages : [1] 2

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 09:29 AM
We will play 3 games in 4 days in this tournament beginning today. We start off with Tulane at 2:00 et on ESPNU, Tulane is 3-0 on the season and they actually have a pretty good roster. They have 3 guys who transferred in from Kansas, Seton Hall and Georgia and also 2 graduate transfers from Norfolk state and Rhode Island who can both score. They also have size at the guard positions and their bigs players at 6'7", 6'9", a couple 6'10" and a 7'1" , so they won't be afraid of our size. This game is really important because if we beat them, we will more than likely play Villanova tomorrow as long as they get past Middle Tennessee. Obviously we can't look ahead but there is Baylor and Utah on the other side of the brackets, so this tournament can give us the opportunity to play some really good teams and build on our resume.

A big concern going into this Tulane game is they will press us the entire game and switch into different zones on us, so Tyson and Molinar can't turn the ball over like some of our previous games. I feel like our defense is very good so that should keep us in most games, but our identity on offense isn't established just yet but its getting there. I would like to see Perry get established early, his numbers are good but they can be better, especially his scoring and free throw shooting, He is averaging 12.8 ppg and 11 rebounds and that is solid, but he can average about 15 to 17 ppg. Woodard continuing in the direction he has been playing is a good sign though he is averaging 13.3 ppg and 9 rebs which is nearly a double double also. If those 2 have good games and our gaurds keep the turnovers down, we can beat pretty much anyone. DJ Stewart is another guy who catches my eye, his defense is really good and he is averaging a quiet 11.5 ppg for us so his play can make a huge difference for us also.

KentuckyDawg13
11-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Hoping Howland has coached them how to handle the zone, as that has been a weakness of our team in the past.
Tulane has a LOT of quality transfers, will be a good test. This game will highlight not having Nick, but I feel Molinar will step up.

smootness
11-21-2019, 11:38 AM
It is very important for us to win game 1 because playing Villanova will be a big RPI boost regardless of whether we win or lose. Playing Baylor would be big as well. I would love to have Nick available for this, but either way, I like our chances against Tulane and think we can at least be competitive with Villanova.

This is where Perry needs to step up. He's our marquee talent, and he needs to play like it for us to have a great chance.

PMDawg
11-21-2019, 01:47 PM
It is very important for us to win game 1 because playing Villanova will be a big RPI boost regardless of whether we win or lose. Playing Baylor would be big as well. I would love to have Nick available for this, but either way, I like our chances against Tulane and think we can at least be competitive with Villanova.

This is where Perry needs to step up. He's our marquee talent, and he needs to play like it for us to have a great chance.

Perry will need to improve on his sub-50% FT shooting if we want to win our more competitive games. Getting that up to 75% would add most of the points he needs to get that average up to 15 to 17 ppg as mentioned above.

WSOPdawg
11-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Any chance it's on tv? Replay via ESPN app maybe?

timotheus
11-21-2019, 02:09 PM
espnu i believe

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Perry taking his game to another level early on. Running the floor, shooting 3's, and great passing. We need this Reggie all year and we will have something.

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Turnovers are going to define our season - we were playing great and then suddenly we have turnovers on about 5 of 7 possessions. Oddly enough most of it was from over-passing.

I do like the more unselfish nature of this team and their willingness to put more effort on the defensive end. If we can get our offense to be a touch more consistent we are going to be a really, really good team

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 02:36 PM
This Tulane team plays pretty hard and smart as well. Short of our turnover barrage this is a pretty high quality game

RougeDawg
11-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Yet another 5+ min stretch of garbage basketball erases a double digit lead. Seems like we always have at least two of these stretches every game under Howland. We never put a team away and it?s mainly unforced errors and turnovers by our own team.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
TOs, TOs, TOs... Villanova game may be ugly if they have good guards

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Feazell could end up being a hell of a bench player for us. Seems like he's improved every game this year.

smootness
11-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Yet another 5+ min stretch of garbage basketball erases a double digit lead. Seems like we always have at least two of these stretches every game under Howland. We never put a team away and it?s mainly unforced errors and turnovers by our own team.

Welcome to college basketball...just the nature of it.

We have a very good team. Perry is bringing it.

sscjr1
11-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Up 9 @ halftime

msstate7
11-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Hopefully nick fixes the TO issue. TOs and 3-point shooting are my only concerns

drunkernhelldawg
11-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Could be a very special season.

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 02:54 PM
12 turnovers - most of which came in the last 10 minutes. Luckily Tulane had their own turnover run late. We should be up about 15 and would feel better but we're playing well. Most of our turnovers come from trying to force passes into the paint into tight windows and we don't have a lot of gifted passes that can make those passes.

Love the unselfishness, but we have to learn what we can and can't execute there. I imagine a lot of it is that those passes get there in practice against the 2nd/3rd team.

Regardless this is the most fun MSU team to watch in years

smootness
11-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Hopefully nick fixes the TO issue. TOs and 3-point shooting are my only concerns

I'm concerned about turnovers, but I think Nick will help and Molinar will improve.

Not that worried about 3-point shooting. Woodard is stroking it, and Carter will be fine. Nick was great last year. I think we're just fine there. Not amazing, but not bad.

RougeDawg
11-21-2019, 03:10 PM

So you are saying every college basketball team plays sloppy more of the game then they do not? Must have missed that memo. Add in the lazy ass telegraphed passes and I guess I missed where that is common among college basketball as well. Did not think I needed to add this much detail to prove my point, but I guess some need the obvious pointed out to them.

RougeDawg
11-21-2019, 03:12 PM
This team will get run out of any gym by teams that play sound, disciplined basketball. Seems to be a trend under Ben.

If we give a disciplined team this many extra possessions by sloppy play, we will not win. That’s my main point and Frustration of all Howland teams.

Percho
11-21-2019, 03:13 PM
The most pleasing thing to me this year has been, for the first time in about 20 years, the players look at and listen to the coach when they come off the floor. All of them.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:14 PM
So you are saying every college basketball team plays sloppy more of the game then they do not? Must have missed that memo. Add in the lazy ass telegraphed passes and I guess I missed where that is common among college basketball as well. Did not think I needed to add this much detail to prove my point, but I guess some need the obvious pointed out to them.

Does just about every college basketball team have a couple stretches a game where they don't play well? Yes.

We're making some lazy passes, no doubt, and that needs to be corrected. But every team has some flaws. This team is much tougher than we've been in the past and seems to have good leadership. The main flaw right now? Turnovers and some lazy passing.

Percho
11-21-2019, 03:15 PM

That to before the present time out should not happen.

Percho
11-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Sounds like we have some fans there.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Woodard's a beast.

Percho
11-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Best team basketball we have seen in a very long time.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:19 PM
It's such a shame this team apparently sucks. Otherwise it might be fun to watch them play well.

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Tomorrow will be a good barometer - we lack some things to be a truly elite team but we're pretty darn good.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Tomorrow will be a good barometer - we lack some things to be a truly elite team but we're pretty darn good.

For sure. I don't think we're world beaters. But a team who can win 12 SEC games and be a top 4 seed? I think it's possible.

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Side note - I love our gray basketball uniforms

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Side note - I love our gray basketball uniforms

They're not bad. Still can't wait for the day when we get rid of the stupid banner logo and go with either the old school 'Mississippi State' or just 'STATE' like on our retros.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Basketball is a game of runs, that's why playing good defense is always key. And good defense travels with you no matter the venue. I like this team, yes we have flaws but I promise you every fan base in America is pointing out their teams flaws right now. As long as we continue to play pretty good ball once we get Nick back who knows how good we can be. Molinar is doing good in his absence so far though so we will be deep at every position once he gets back.

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Meanwhile, we are up 19...

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Winning big, but 24 turnovers will be very bad if it happens tomorrow. We find out what we have tomorrow.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:49 PM
This team plays defense, fights, plays hard, tries to get the ball inside, but has the athleticism and talent to score from anywhere. I will take that kind of team all day and take the negatives that come with it. We will improve from here.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Winning big, but 24 turnovers will be very bad if it happens tomorrow. We find out what we have tomorrow.

I think we wound up with 27 turnovers.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 03:51 PM
I know our turnovers are bad and we need to fix that but we 63.2% from the field, 61.1% from 3 pt range and 78.9% from the free throw line as a team with 4 minutes to go. Yes its against Tulane but those are good numbers from the team as a whole, and as I mentioned before, this Tulane team has about 4 guys who were high recruit high major guys from other schools who transferred in and have talent so this is a good win. But Villanova will be a tough challenge, I think Howland will have our guys ready though.

ScoobaDawg
11-21-2019, 03:53 PM
I think we wound up with 27 turnovers.

25 turnovers.

smootness
11-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Villanova is a well-coached team always, but I'm not quite sure how good they are this year. Middle Tennessee is not good, and Villanova got blowed out by Ohio State. It'll be fun to see how we match up, and I think we have a decent shot to win it.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Villanova is a well-coached team always, but I'm not quite sure how good they are this year. Middle Tennessee is not good, and Villanova got blowed out by Ohio State. It'll be fun to see how we match up, and I think we have a decent shot to win it.

Yea, they lost to #10 Ohio State, but they have a good team this year too. I'm like you, I'm not sure how good they are this year yet, but one thing for sure is they are always well coached and play sound basketball so Howland has to have the guys ready tomorrow.

ZedFedder
11-21-2019, 04:02 PM
We need to fix the turnovers without a doubt. That being said I don't see how you can't watch this team and not get excited. Honestly, a lot of the turnovers could be quelled if we just didn't try to pass to Ado on drives in the lane. He just can't handle them.

MarketingBully
11-21-2019, 04:03 PM
This team plays defense and rebounds. Those things travel. We did turn the ball over way too much and that is a concern but when Nick comes back hopefully that will be rectified a bit. Tomorrow’s game should be fun. I think we should at the very least be competitive and possibly have a chance to win. Should be interesting to see.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 04:03 PM
I am rearranging some plans so I can watch tomorrow. In looking forward to seeing it.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 04:23 PM
The game tomorrow against Villanova is at 2:30 pm ET on ESPN2

chef dixon
11-21-2019, 04:25 PM
You can overcome 25 turnovers when you out rebound the opponent 41-16.

Lord McBuckethead
11-21-2019, 04:26 PM
A lot of turnovers would be undone if we just went up strong in lieu of making the last second pass.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2019, 04:28 PM
TO's are a problem and Reggie being in foul trouble a lot is troubling, but we led by double digits almost all of the second half. Molinar had his best offensive game today and Tyson came alive in the second half. When Reggie was in the game he was a man amongst boys. This team has the chance to be special and we seem to have played better each game. Tomorrow will be a monster test. Jay Wright's teams are always good and always seem to make a run in the tournament. Iverson and Tyson will have to play their best games tomorrow because Nova always has quick guards.

jdelta02
11-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Iverson Molinar- 21 points

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 04:40 PM
A lot of turnovers would be undone if we just went up strong in lieu of making the last second pass.

Yep I bet half were due to overpassing where someone gave up a good shot trying to get a great shot, but via a tiny passing window

R2Dawg
11-21-2019, 04:43 PM
The most pleasing thing to me this year has been, for the first time in about 20 years, the players look at and listen to the coach when they come off the floor. All of them.

Agree and the other thing I really like is we don't play selfish - no one. Team ball. Have not seen that in a long time - early 2000s.

Cloak
11-21-2019, 04:49 PM
We don't have a Malik Newman or Headshot Peters to appease.

SheltonChoked
11-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Wow glad we squeaked out a (checks notes) 14 point win.

They tell if you win with points. We seem to be doing ok there.

We are thin at point guard (i.e., playing our backup, as a starter) in 5 more games, the turnovers will be fewer.

Meanwhile, that backup point guard had a pretty good day...

Big4Dawg
11-21-2019, 05:36 PM
We need to fix the turnovers without a doubt. That being said I don't see how you can't watch this team and not get excited. Honestly, a lot of the turnovers could be quelled if we just didn't try to pass to Ado on drives in the lane. He just can't handle them.

We are also missing our starting PG

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 06:33 PM
I like what I saw today. There's some talent and length there. Good D today. Sensed much better team chemistry than I have last 2 years. Guys seemed to literally enjoy sharing the ball with each other. Hope Nick comes back and just wants to be a part of that and fit in with it. Got sloppy with ball in 2nd half. I really like those 2 young guys ... Molinar & Stewart.

OLJWales
11-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Looking at the stats on hailstate.com

Damn. 60.5% from the field.

11 of 20 from the arc. 55%. maybe we CAN shoot?

81% from the Charity Stripe

41-16 rebound advantage. That's just plain sick. Does Howland's S&C coach have a twin brother?

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Looking at the stats on hailstate.com

Damn. 60.5% from the field.

11 of 20 from the arc. 55%. maybe we CAN shoot?

81% from the Charity Stripe

41-16 rebound advantage. That's just plain sick. Does Howland's S&C coach have a twin brother?

Like I said I liked what I saw today but have no clue how good Tulane is. They weren't picked to do well in their conference. But I like our length, we rotated well on D, we shared the ball really well, and we do look stronger IMO, especially Carter.

Just started watching replay of Nova now. Looks to me like we match their length pretty well. Their white kid can drain it tho. Someone better get on him way out past 3 pt line and never leave him for any reason.

ETA: Really good stat you left of - 19 assists.

chef dixon
11-21-2019, 07:40 PM
We are prob tied for the second best team in this thing with Baylor. Utah looks soft and like a team we could big boy pretty easily. Proud of the guys to take care of business today and get an opportunity to play Villanova. That is huge.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Wow glad we squeaked out a (checks notes) 14 point win.

They tell if you win with points. We seem to be doing ok there.

We are thin at point guard (i.e., playing our backup, as a starter) in 5 more games, the turnovers will be fewer.

Meanwhile, that backup point guard had a pretty good day...

We find out what we have tomorrow. I rearranged my schedule to watch it. I'm looking forward to it. It's the first time in a long time I've really wanted to watch a men's basketball game. You do realize you can be critical without thinking the team sucks, right? I like a lot of what I've seen so far, but the competition ramps up a bit tomorrow. The thing I like the most is I don't see a head case or attitude problem on the team for the first time in a LONG time. These guys all seem to LISTEN to the coaches.

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 07:48 PM
We better bring our A++ game against Nova. They just playing flat out good. We may have close to their length but they beefier, play suffocating D and are extremely quick, can shoot lights out, whip the ball around great. Not sure I see a weakness with them. They lost to OSU and that may have been a wakeup call. They have 6 guys averaging double figures. They were up 25 at half. Even tho MTSU may not be that good, Nova looks really good to me.

Good early season game tho. We find out more about where we need to get better.

R2Dawg
11-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Team chemistry is best I've seen since maybe 2004 or Gordon/Rhodes years. The team could have a special year. Gonna be fun.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Team chemistry is best I've seen since maybe 2004 or Gordon/Rhodes years. The team could have a special year. Gonna be fun.

The Gordon/Rhodes years were the start of our decline. There were some real attitudes back then. The culture of the program steadily got worse after that bunch. Maybe we have finally exorcised those demons.

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 10:12 PM
The Gordon/Rhodes years were the start of our decline. There were some real attitudes back then. The culture of the program steadily got worse after that bunch. Maybe we have finally exorcised those demons.

Wasn't gonna really say anything but yea ... what I saw today was night and day chemistry between this club and that one. 2 huge primas on the Gordon/Rhodes team.

Last really good chemistry was the 2004 team Bowers/Frazier/Roberts. 2005 started out great until Frazier got hurt.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Wasn't gonna really say anything but yea ... what I saw today was night and day chemistry between this club and that one. 2 huge primas on the Gordon/Rhodes team.

Last really good chemistry was the 2004 team Bowers/Frazier/Roberts. 2005 started out great until Frazier got hurt.

Yep.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 10:16 PM

Just two?

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Just two?

I'd have to go back and look at roster but Gordon and Rhodes for sure. Rhodes needed coddled by Stans and Gordon is my most disliked player for us ever I think. In last 2 or 3 minutes of many, many close games (there were a lot of them) in his career, he'd dribble around and never pass at all. Always take the game winning shot and only ever made one I can remember against Ky. As much as I was not a fan of Peters last year, he pales in comparison to Gordon. That team with Gordon could've been pretty darn good ... he was talented.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 10:32 PM
The biggest thing I'm worried about right now is our lack of ball handling, we have Carter and Molinar who both handle pretty well but that's it until we get Nick back. Our bigs are handling the ball way too much right now and that's a big reason we turn it over so much. Feazell had 6 turnovers just by himself today, but that's not his fault, he is being asked to do something out of his comfort zone. I wonder if DJ can help out more there or someone off the bench? We have to protect the ball more because 25 turnovers against Villanova or any other talented team will get us beat on most nights

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 10:37 PM
The biggest thing I'm worried about right now is our lack of ball handling, we have Carter and Molinar who both handle pretty well but that's it until we get Nick back. Our bigs are handling the ball way too much right now and that's a big reason we turn it over so much. Feazell had 6 turnovers just by himself today, but that's not his fault, he is being asked to do something out of his comfort zone. I wonder if DJ can help out more there or someone off the bench? We have to protect the ball more because 25 turnovers against Villanova or any other talented team will get us beat on most nights

a) I think we might have a lot of trouble tomorrow with that. Nova plays some stifling D from what I saw tonight.

b) I think everyone is counting a little too much on Nick being the the ball handling/defensive savior. He can be a prima too somewhat. Some of that may have just been between him and Peters tho ... so we'll see. Hope he learned some lessons from suspension and blends in and performs as everyone expects him to.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 11:02 PM
a) I think we might have a lot of trouble tomorrow with that. Nova plays some stifling D from what I saw tonight.

b) I think everyone is counting a little too much on Nick being the the ball handling/defensive savior. He can be a prima too somewhat. Some of that may have just been between him and Peters tho ... so we'll see. Hope he learned some lessons from suspension and blends in and performs as everyone expects him to.

That's possible, but I don't personally expect him to be the savior, I do expect he will give us a 3rd ball handler that we need badly right now. Molinar is holding his own right now though, I like his poise and he plays under control, but we still need more ball handling and to take care of the ball, and it's tough when our bigs are out there handling like guards.

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 11:14 PM
That's possible, but I don't personally expect him to be the savior, I do expect he will give us a 3rd ball handler that we need badly right now. Molinar is holding his own right now though, I like his poise and he plays under control, but we still need more ball handling and to take care of the ball, and it's tough when our bigs are out there handling like guards.

I kinda think today they were coasting somewhat and got sloppy. Vic would be all over them for coasting ... Howland probably not so much. Another ball handler would be a plus tho.

But tomorrow ... they won't get to coast and still might lose by 20. The intensity level between Nova and us today was quite different ... not that we were bad but they played some intense ball today. I hope we keep it close and maybe we can.

ETA: And Nova can really, really shoot it. Our D is gonna have to extend a good bit.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 11:25 PM
I kinda think today they were coasting somewhat and got sloppy. Vic would be all over them for coasting ... Howland probably not so much. Another ball handler would be a plus tho.

But tomorrow ... they won't get to coast and still might lose by 20. The intensity level between Nova and us today was quite different ... not that we were bad but they played some intense ball today. I hope we keep it close and maybe we can.

ETA: And Nova can really, really shoot it. Our D is gonna have to extend a good bit.

I agree completely, Villanova will be a totally different animal, but I'm really confident in our defense right now so I am cautiously hanging my hat on that and hoping that and rebounding can at least keep us in the game and give us a shot. I like this team, I know its early but I have a good feeling about us this year

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 11:29 PM
I agree completely, Villanova will be a totally different animal, but I'm really confident in our defense right now so I am cautiously hanging my hat on that and hoping that and rebounding can at least keep us in the game and give us a shot. I like this team, I know its early but I have a good feeling about us this year

After watching just one game ... I like them too. They exceeded my expectations some today. Still very early. As you say ... Nova is a whole different animal tho. I liked our D today too but ... Nova can really extend you. Like no one I've seen us play since Howland has been here. And they're exceptional at moving the ball around too. I figure we'll find out how much harder we need to work coming out of tomorrow most likely.

ETA: But I do think we have the potential to be pretty darn good. Nova may be a Final 4 team.

NCMSTFAN
11-21-2019, 11:32 PM
Yea they just won the National championship a couple years ago so there is definitely a winning culture in that program. They will be very tough

Ari Gold
11-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Nova will be a great test , esp without Nick
Win or lose this is a really good game for Us going forward..
it could be a huge resume builder if we can pull an upset.
Nova will have a possible final four team when the tourney rolls around

Tulane will win some games in that conference ..

This team is going to get better and better. Could be a fun special year

MarketingBully
11-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Win today and Sunday and we could have two Top 25 wins with the possibility of playing Baylor on Sunday in the championship game.

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Just win every damn game. Lets go.

shannondawg
11-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Ever had a half full drink or have they all been half empty?

smootness
11-22-2019, 09:40 AM
After watching just one game ... I like them too. They exceeded my expectations some today. Still very early. As you say ... Nova is a whole different animal tho. I liked our D today too but ... Nova can really extend you. Like no one I've seen us play since Howland has been here. And they're exceptional at moving the ball around too. I figure we'll find out how much harder we need to work coming out of tomorrow most likely.

ETA: But I do think we have the potential to be pretty darn good. Nova may be a Final 4 team.

I would be shocked if Villanova is a Final 4 team. They're talented and will continue to get better, but they are pretty darn young. They've played one team with a pulse and they got blitzed from the opening tip. Sure, it was a top 10 team, but regardless, they got blown out. I'm telling you, MTSU is garbage. They beat Mars Hill (?) by 11, Lipscomb by 3, and got destroyed by Coastal Carolina.

Villanova is good, but if you're judging them on yesterday's game, then you might as well use the New Orleans game to judge us.

MarketingBully
11-22-2019, 09:47 AM
I would be shocked if Villanova is a Final 4 team. They're talented and will continue to get better, but they are pretty darn young. They've played one team with a pulse and they got blitzed from the opening tip. Sure, it was a top 10 team, but regardless, they got blown out. I'm telling you, MTSU is garbage. They beat Mars Hill (?) by 11, Lipscomb by 3, and got destroyed by Coastal Carolina.

Villanova is good, but if you're judging them on yesterday's game, then you might as well use the New Orleans game to judge us.

Nova still has two McD AA freshmen on their team. It still will be a great test.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Nova is very very good. Regardless of the fact that their roster is a good mix of McDonald's AA and other highly ranked players, they're coached by one of the top coaches in the game in Jay Wright. Jay will press us early to try and force Molinar and Carter into some TO's. We also can't let Cole Swider get going like he did yesterday. MTSU let him have open 3's all game.

msugolf
11-22-2019, 09:51 AM

I really like this team. It's amazing how much team attitude can carry over to the enjoyability factor in fan viewership. I don't mind the turnovers, shooting pct right now. They'll improve on those things.

Bottom line, this team is going to be tough later on (and might be now) and I hope the fans show up for them.

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 09:56 AM

I don't know yet. Just saying they might be based on their recent history and without having watched entire landscape .. in fact that was 1st two games I watched this year. I never really judge firmly in Nov/Dec. The loss to OSU might've been a wakeup call but as you say they are young. However, when you recruit at their level and have their coach, youth isn't as big a factor as with other teams. They should get a lot better as season progresses. You can make the argument that we're pretty young too.

It's a long way to Feb/Mar. And I don't know anything about MTSU. I did watch both our and their game side/side on 2 monitors to get a better feel for today. We gonna have our hands full IMO. The intensity level they played with yesterday was pretty darn high for this early in the year ... also IMO.

Lots of folks on this board tend to make hasty judgments on teams early on or preseason. Seems I recall TN was a sure win for us this year.

Kingbarkus
11-22-2019, 09:57 AM
This has the potential to be a sneaky good game. It's a great set up for the SEC regular season. I can't see us fixing the TO problem against Nova, and Jay Wright will exploit our weakness, but I want to see us when we are challenged. Our guys are hungry to prove themselves. I like the attitude we have, the effort, the support of each other, but now it's time to compete against a big boy.

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Nova is very very good. Regardless of the fact that their roster is a good mix of McDonald's AA and other highly ranked players, they're coached by one of the top coaches in the game in Jay Wright. Jay will press us early to try and force Molinar and Carter into some TO's. We also can't let Cole Swider get going like he did yesterday. MTSU let him have open 3's all game.

They got several guys than can knock it down from downtown. That Gillespie kid can drain it.

smootness
11-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Nova still has two McD AA freshmen on their team. It still will be a great test.

Absolutely it will be. I think we have a chance to win, but I don't necessarily think it's a great chance. And we don't really know how good either team is yet. I don't have any interest in trying to lower Villanova's reputation because win or lose, it helps us for them to be seen as really good.

I'm just saying, for those claiming they are a great team, that we don't actually know that yet. The only evidence we have of them against a good team, they got pummeled. Nobody else they've played is any better than the teams we've played.

smootness
11-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Teams typically take on the attitude of their leader. And from what I can tell right now, I think Woodard is our leader, or at least our heart and soul. That is very good for us.

MCsMGs
11-22-2019, 11:22 AM
They got several guys than can knock it down from downtown. That Gillespie kid can drain it.

They have 3 players shooting over 50% from behind the line...

NCMSTFAN
11-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Not that it really means anything but Tulane is beating MTSU right now 36-17. I don't know if MTSU is just bad or Tulane is actually pretty good. Its hard to gauge teams this early In the year.

smootness
11-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Not that it really means anything but Tulane is beating MTSU right now 36-17. I don't know if MTSU is just bad or Tulane is actually pretty good. Its hard to gauge teams this early In the year.

Both seem to be true from what we've seen so far. Tulane looks like a solid team and MTSU is bad.

NCMSTFAN
11-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Both seem to be true from what we've seen so far. Tulane looks like a solid team and MTSU is bad.

Yea, the Tulane win may eventually be a good win on our resume. I hope they keep winning, it helps us.

timotheus
11-22-2019, 01:23 PM
what time do we play, 130?

bigplayslay
11-22-2019, 02:07 PM
what time do we play, 130?

Yessir.

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 02:37 PM
It's amazing how bad Ado is at catching the basketball. It's like he doesn't have fingers

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 02:39 PM
We'd better find a way to slow Gillespie down or else he's gonna drop
30+ tonight.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Great start to the 1st media time out.

mparkerfd20
11-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Villanova is getting away with a lot of bullshit. They are letting them play, but still.

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 02:44 PM
We'd better find a way to slow Gillespie down or else he's gonna drop
30+ tonight.

Let's up that to 40. He's on fire.

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Villanova is getting away with a lot of bullshit. They are letting them play, but still.

Got a travel, a non-call on Reggie, and a bad call on Ado in the first 6 minutes of the game. That's 3 possessions blown by the stripes.

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Win or lose, this team is finally fun to watch

bigplayslay
11-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Win or lose, this team is finally fun to watch

We are some freaking glass cleaners. Size and athleticism. When Nick comes back we will almost certainly stay ranked. Molinar is just as good if not better than advertised.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 02:50 PM
I like it so far.

ShotgunDawg
Hard not to like this basketball team. Clear Sweet 16 to Elite 8 Potential. Complete inside & out

mparkerfd20
Damn this team is fun to watch finally. We may fall apart, but the pieces are here to be a good team this year as the season progresses.

chef dixon
They have no answer for Woodard

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 02:51 PM
And the thing is, we're doing this without Nick. When he comes back, we're going to be freaking scary

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 02:52 PM
And the thing is, we're doing this without Nick. When he comes back, we're going to be freaking scary

Agree. It's a damn solid roster. No real weakness.

Hell, if Molinar turns into Russell Westbrook, who knows what can happen

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Robert Woodard...……...MY GOD.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 02:53 PM
I don't know if we win today, but Villanova is ranked 17th & we are clearly the more athletic, dynamic team. Like clearly

chef dixon
11-22-2019, 02:54 PM
Not calling it even

dawgday166
Howland may just have him a good well-rounded team here. It has been fun to watch them the last 2 and 1/2 halves.

KOdawg1
Perry and Woodard know the scouts are watching, so they're putting on a show

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 02:55 PM
We're getting screwed by the zebras right now.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Good lord. They are calling everything vs us

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Transition and dribble drive defense hurting us. We need Spoon back ASAP. We're a top 15-20 team with him defensively.

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Turnovers are our weakness

chef dixon
11-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Clearly more physical and not getting any benefit of the doubt is frustrating

ShotgunDawg
We got the pieces but we have to clean it up.

HoopsDawg
Transition and dribble drive defense hurting us. We need Spoon back ASAP. We're a top 15-20 team with him defensively.

Ado getting that 2nd foul is what's hurting.

msstate7
11-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Just think we're gonna get a really good player back soon, and Molinar and Stewart are gonna get better with a little experience. This team will be the best we've had in a long time

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:00 PM
We need a bucket

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:01 PM
We are more talented but Villanova is working us offensively

Liverpooldawg
We are taking some stupid shots.

ShotgunDawg
They are so much quicker & crisper with their passing. Jay Wright is obviously a heck of a coach

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Killing us with dribble drive motion right now.

Irondawg
This is a basketball IQ game - we're equal or better physically but their court awareness and movement with and without the basketball is 3x ours

KOdawg1
Just taking bad shots

mparkerfd20
We can't buy a ****ing shot right now. Fixing to get blown out of the building too with the help of the Zs.

Liverpooldawg
We are more talented but Villanova is working us offensively

Ugh, Shotgun......you might want to rethink that.

Political Hack
Ado getting that 2nd foul is what's hurting.

That's part of it, but they're keeping our bigs out of the lane defensively and using dribble drive and kick outs for the 3. That's their game plan.

ShotgunDawg
We're playing 1 on 1 basketball & they are playing team basketball. Complete mismatch offensively

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Just taking bad shots

Yep

mparkerfd20
I take back everything positive I said. Maybe if I'm down on the team they'll break out of this funk.

ShotgunDawg
Ugh, Shotgun......you might want to rethink that.

?

msstate7
I like this team, but damn these total lapses in extended stretches are really frustrating and give you no shot vs good teams

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:04 PM
I take back everything positive I said. Maybe if I'm down on the team they'll break out of this funk.

Don't.. we have really good players. Just have to get more rhythm & quicker passing offense

Liverpooldawg
They are playing defense like a house afire too. 16-0 run

Irondawg
This is starting to look like last year where 4 guys watch the guy dribble with the basketball and we can't create any open looks. Meanwhile Villanova's offense is a thing of beauty - and you get a 16-0 run

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Beautiful basketball by Villanova. Jay Wright is THE best.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Wright
Howland

Irondawg
11-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Almost every shot we've taken the past 7-8 possessions is forced. Sometimes you'll get hot and hit those but it's not something you can rely on and it's what got us beat a ton last year.

ShotgunDawg

No doubt. Nova is hellaciously coached

KOdawg1
Well it was a fun 10 minutes

Cooterpoot
Not ready for the big time yet

Liverpooldawg
?

Take a look at the recruiting rankings. Their entire class last year was Top 100.

msstate7
11-22-2019, 03:07 PM

He's good, really good, but I like Bennett and beard better

msstate7
11-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Missing our pg... pretty big deal

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Need to go on a run to end the half

bigplayslay
11-22-2019, 03:10 PM

It's a game of runs. Don't call it just yet.

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Did that dude just say we were wearing black? Is he colorblind?

Irondawg
11-22-2019, 03:11 PM
I love watching guards that play like Gillespie though - they see the floor and the angles so well

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 03:15 PM
It's a game of runs. Don't call it just yet.

My thoughts exactly ... most games are. We find out how we respond to getting down like this. Also learn where we need to get better. Talent looks to be there tho.

drunkernhelldawg
11-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Strong finish to the half. We can win this game.

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Same play that won the title

msu15
11-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Just made a nice little $20 on a side bet in the office that they’d score on that last possession.

Irondawg
11-22-2019, 03:18 PM
You can't guard that the way we did - Perry served no purpose standing in the backcourt. Let them inbound it short and heave one from halfcourt

KOdawg1
11-22-2019, 03:19 PM
They're just better coached than us. And that's not a knock on Howland. But we're getting killed from a strategic perspective. They have a plan, and they're executing that plan

chef dixon
They play too crisp for us but we are good

HoopsDawg
I love watching guards that play like Gillespie though - they see the floor and the angles so well

Guy is fun to watch. Spoon would be guarding him.

MoreCowbell
The 3 ball is the difference. We are playing well though and this is a great test/learning opportunity for this team.

drunkernhelldawg
11-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Tough break but only one basket. Playing well.

HoopsDawg
You can't guard that the way we did - Perry served no purpose standing in the backcourt. Let them inbound it short and heave one from halfcourt

Yes, we gave them a free inbounds. Perry should have guarded the in bounds passer.

Cooterpoot
Missing our pg... pretty big deal

I said yet

msu15
11-22-2019, 03:21 PM
They're just better coached than us. And that's not a knock on Howland. But we're getting killed from a strategic perspective. They have a plan, and they're executing that plan

Bingo

smootness
That cold stretch killed us, and they're very well-coached and efficient offensively. Need to shoot well in the 2nd and just be physical. Don't worry too much about fouling; don't be dumb, but be physical, crash the boards, and get all over them defensively. That has to be our identity but we can beat teams like this.

HoopsDawg
He's good, really good, but I like Bennett and beard better

Your opinion but it's wrong.

No way you take Bennett over Wright.

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Take a look at the recruiting rankings. Their entire class last year was Top 100.

Our entire starting 5 is top 100

smootness
11-22-2019, 03:23 PM

Uh, why not?

I wouldn't make a super strong argument either way, they're both fantastic coaches. But how could you possibly say it's a clear fact that Wright is better?

chef dixon
11-22-2019, 03:23 PM

Are you really going to split hairs over the last two title winners?

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:24 PM

We have at least equal the talent/athleticism if not more on the court, they are just better coached. Teams up north are smarter. Talent wise though we are legit.

Irondawg
Nick isn't as good as Gillespie but take him off the Villanova team and wonder what the difference would be. Stewart has been fine for us, but Nick is a lot better and also takes the ballhandling pressure off Carter.

V is an elite passing and shooting team though. Tough to stop when they've got it working

dawgday166
Are you really going to split hairs over the last two title winners?

Don't really care but one of them has never lost as a #1 seed to a #16 seed.

Churchill
11-22-2019, 03:26 PM
We have at least equal the talent/athleticism if not more on the court, they are just better coached. Teams up north are smarter. Talent wise though we are legit.

Now you tell me....Signed Joe Croomhead

NCMSTFAN
We only have 5 turnovers, so that's not an issue in this particular game. We are just missing a lot of shots, Carter in particular is 1-7. We have to score to win. But the game isn't over yet, we can make a run

StarkVegasSteve
This game is a great barometer for us. Shows us that we can hang with a top team, but still have a ways to go til March. The good news for us......it's only November and we get Nick back at the end of December

msstate7

Terrible loss... how'd he follow it up?

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Our entire starting 5 is top 100

Ok. I guess you guys are right and everyone else not wearing maroon glasses is wrong.

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Right. Can't stand his style of play either. He's a perfect coach for Virginia though.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:28 PM

Athleticism I'll agree with. Talent I won't other than we are legit talent wise.

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Now you tell me....Signed Joe Croomhead

?

RLM38654
That 3 before half was huge and unfortunately typical .

HoopsDawg
Athleticism I'll agree with. Talent I won't.

Nova is more skilled.

MoreCowbell
Witherspoon 4/5* top 30 junior (Molinar 3* but playing like a 4* and had good offers)
Carter 4* top 100 senior
Woodard 4* top 60 Sophomore
Perry 5* top 30 Sophomore
Ado 4* top 100 Senior

DJ Stewart 4* top 100

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Terrible loss... how'd he follow it up?

Nice follow up and as I told you I would never have bet on that. But Nova coach has 2 Nattys to one and no major upset like that on his record. Advantage Nova.

MoreCowbell
Athleticism I'll agree with. Talent I won't other than we are legit talent wise.

Talent is talent. Theirs is just refined and better coached.

msstate7
Right. Can't stand his style of play either. He's a perfect coach for Virginia though.

Won/tied the acc 4 of the last 6 years. That's extremely impressive... Wright doesn't face near the competition that Bennett does in the regular season

bigplayslay
Ok. I guess you guys are right and everyone else not wearing maroon glasses is wrong.

Hahaha why is it that every thread you are in there is some kind of argument? Sheesh.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Nova is more skilled.

Exactly

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:32 PM

What does that even mean? I didnt give them their recruiting rankings

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Nova is more skilled.

Yep

Liverpooldawg
Hahaha why is it that every thread you are in there is some kind of argument? Sheesh.

Isn't that the sole function of the internet? LOL.

NCMSTFAN
We are just as athletic as they are and we have a ton of top 100 guys also, its down to execution and we have to execute. People don't realize how much not having your starting PG hurts also, Carter isn't a true PG he is a SG and Molinar is still learning the position himself as a true Freshman

parabrave
11-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Hopefully someone is giving Carter a talking to at halftime.

msstate7
11-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Nice follow up and as I told you I would never have bet on that. But Nova coach has 2 Nattys to one and no major upset like that on his record. Advantage Nova.

Wright been at Villanova 18 years; Bennett 11 at Virginia.

NCMSTFAN
Before we crown Villanova lets let the game finish. There are 2 halves.

ShotgunDawg
Shirley they won't shoot 64% again

MoreCowbell
We need to drive the lane, slow it down and get them in foul trouble

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Damn Perry

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Talent is talent. Theirs is just refined and better coached.

They are more basketball skilled than we are. I no argument on the coaching, Wright is one of the very best. We ain't beat yet by the way. I

MoreCowbell
11-22-2019, 03:38 PM
They are more basketball skilled than we are. I no argument on the coaching, Wright is one of the very best. We ain't beat yet by the way. I

Agreed

ShotgunDawg
Goodness, play defense

ShotgunDawg

Agree. They are ridiculously skilled

MoreCowbell
There we go

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Great run to start the half. Need Tyson to heat up.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Our athleticism is off the damn charts

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Win or lose, time to get back to the Hump

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:40 PM

They shot 64% in the first half & went on a 16-0 run at one point. My guess is that they don't do that again

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:41 PM

Agree. This is a real basketball team.

We seem extremely unselfish as well.

msstate7

I think Moorhead's legacy will be getting fan interest back in basketball (haha, but seriously too)

bigplayslay

Couldn't agree more. This team is talented and they have chemistry. I don't care about top 100 we won't stop fighting all game long.

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Wright been at Villanova 18 years; Bennett 11 at Virginia.

He did have a nice comeback to a very bad upset. But ... just admit it this time ... you wrong ******

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Poor defense by Perry again. Villanova spacing is tremendous.

chef dixon
11-22-2019, 03:43 PM
They can stroke it. Every time they launch a 3 I cringe

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2019, 03:44 PM

I'm taking credit - left the office for the day and got home just in time to turn on the second half.

You're welcome.

parabrave
11-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Now whoever talked to Carter needs to talk to Ado.

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Not a foul!!!

Percho
11-22-2019, 03:46 PM
2nd called but i know of at least 1 other

hopsondawg22
This will be the team to get the Hump back bumping for the men's team. By far the best all around team since the Lawrence Roberts and crew took the court at the Hump. I think our TO problem will work itself out when Nick returns.

HoopsDawg
3 BS calls on Ado.

Political Hack
Calls starting to even out some though. That's good.

smootness

2014 - Nova lost as a 2 vs. a 7
2015 - Nova lost as a 1 vs. an 8
2017 - Nova lost as a 1 vs. an 8

Let's not act like college basketball is some kind of sport where the best coaches never get upset. It was one game. Bennett has a sterling resume.

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Never mind. It's getting ticky tac now.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:48 PM
you can't play defense

smootness
11-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Also, this is my favorite State team in over a decade easily, probably my favorite in 15 years.

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 03:49 PM
We're already shooting the bonus. Time to attack down low.

smootness
11-22-2019, 03:50 PM
We're already shooting the bonus. Time to attack down low.

100%. Just attack, period.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:50 PM
We gotta get back on defense better after missed shots

bigplayslay
11-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Also, this is my favorite State team in over a decade easily, probably my favorite in 15 years.

How can they not be? They give so much effort. I love it.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Playing our 17ing ass off right now

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Dammit

smootness
11-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Feazell does not need to be forcing offense like that.

ShotgunDawg
WTF is Feazell doing?

Game on the line & he keeps shooting. Selfish as 17

Liverpooldawg
Forcing some shots again. That's when they go on runs.

Political Hack
11-22-2019, 03:54 PM
We can't make a layup and they can't miss a 3.

HoopsDawg
Howland tried to buy Carter a break and it backfired.

ShotgunDawg
Unreal

parabrave
11-22-2019, 03:56 PM
Well still can't guard a 3 and have no idea how to go up strong underneath the rim

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 03:57 PM
2014 - Nova lost as a 2 vs. a 7
2015 - Nova lost as a 1 vs. an 8
2017 - Nova lost as a 1 vs. an 8

Let's not act like college basketball is some kind of sport where the best coaches never get upset. It was one game. Bennett has a sterling resume.

LOL ... Dude I'm giving 7 a hard time. He likes to argue you know.

hopsondawg22
Feazell should be told to rebound and set screens. He has no business shooting shots.

MoreCowbell
Really like Stewart

ShotgunDawg
Dd they install a lid on our basket?

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 03:58 PM
We got so many weapons

msu15
11-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Can’t wait for Adu to graduate. Trash and a waste of a scholarship.

hopsondawg22
11-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Stewart just carrying the torch for stud Ms delta ballers for the hardwood dawgs.

ShotgunDawg
Nova hitting some BS shots

parabrave
And on cue Ado fouls.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 04:00 PM
We just aren't offensively crisp enough to beat this team right now. Maybe by March

HoopsDawg
11-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Perry getting abused.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Perry's defense is getting exposed

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 04:02 PM
Villanova plays basketball.

dawgday166
11-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Have you noticed they seem to go on runs when Ado isn't in there? He does a lot of good things that don't show up in the stats book.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2019, 04:03 PM

They go on runs when he goes out. He just can't stay out of foul trouble.