PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Ole Miss softball?

Mobile Bay
11-21-2019, 07:19 AM
According to the Clarion Ledger the coach is on administrative leave and the program is being audited for non-financial reasons. What is it?

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Some have said he violated NCAA practice rules again, 2nd time in a year. Also heard they are looking at the environment of his program and interviewing players and coaches. He can be a very foul prick. Grade A A-Hole.

timotheus
11-21-2019, 07:59 AM
Could he possibly call plays for a football team?

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:21 AM
He’s an a hole but he’s a good coach. Girls complaining about being worked too much and talked too poorly. Basically, it’s the landscape of college softball. I don’t think they’ll do anything. But, he’s going to get tired of being called out and take off at some point.

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 10:33 AM
He’s an a hole but he’s a good coach. Girls complaining about being worked too much and talked too poorly. Basically, it’s the landscape of college softball. I don’t think they’ll do anything. But, he’s going to get tired of being called out and take off at some point.

I don’t think it’s just complaining about working too much. I know there are culture issues and complaints but the illegal practices, if true for the 2nd time in a year, is an issue that has to be dealt with. You can’t be that flagrant that the school has to take action. Also heard that he has issues with the AD’s office or they have problems with him. Honestly he is a really good recruiter but average or little above coach and misuses his pitchers. With how he runs a program he better be a good recruiter because his personality inside the program is horrid.

Ari Gold
11-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Who cares...

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2019, 10:45 AM
I don’t think it’s just complaining about working too much. I know there are culture issues and complaints but the illegal practices, if true for the 2nd time in a year, is an issue that has to be dealt with. You can’t be that flagrant that the school has to take action. Also heard that he has issues with the AD’s office or they have problems with him. Honestly he is a really good recruiter but average or little above coach and misuses his pitchers. With how he runs a program he better be a good recruiter because his personality inside the program is horrid.

Didn't they lose a lot of players that transferred out or am I just misremembering? Seems like they had some kind of big turnover and there were starters involved in transferring out.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Yeah, the too much work is part of the illegal practices. I should’ve clarified. I’ve got a person close to this deal. They said “you know Smith is going to push you hard and chew your ass if you don’t get it done. It’s not for everyone.” OM won’t fire him for the practice issues. They’d have to find something more serious. AD is on the way out, so that’s a non-issue but so was the ULL deal til it blew up. And you’re right, he’ll dog cuss girls and make them feel worthless if he doesn’t like them. But so do a lot of the other top coaches. They just don’t talk about those because they’re winning big. The softball landscape is a mess.

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Didn't they lose a lot of players that transferred out or am I just misremembering? Seems like they had some kind of big turnover and there were starters involved in transferring out.

Yeah they have had a lot of turnover. Had Freshman All SEC SS quit and never play softball again.

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the too much work is part of the illegal practices. I should’ve clarified. I’ve got a person close to this deal. They said “you know Smith is going to push you hard and chew your ass if you don’t get it done. It’s not for everyone.” OM won’t fire him for the practice issues. They’d have to find something more serious. AD is on the way out, so that’s a non-issue but so was the ULL deal til it blew up. And you’re right, he’ll dog cuss girls and make them feel worthless if he doesn’t like them. But so do a lot of the other top coaches. They just don’t talk about those because they’re winning big. The softball landscape is a mess.

That’s very true. There are some good ones out there but there are a bunch of turds as well. From what I hear from former players and seen personally, Beth Torino seems like a solid person.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Torino and Murphy aren’t bad. Torino is very personable and a tireless recruiter. Murph is a little arrogant bud he treats his girls very well. Gasso is a $&@“! The Weakleys are not likable at all. Coach Lu is rough and tough but not a bad person. Really like Coach Hutchins at Mich. She and Coach Tholl run a good program. Richardson at Liberty is a little odd (super smart) but she’s like talking to your buddy. Those are the ones that stick out to me. Hate I had to get out of softball last year will this illness crap. Really enjoyed it.

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Torino and Murphy aren’t bad. Torino is very personable and a tireless recruiter. Murph is a little arrogant bud he treats his girls very well. Gasso is a $&@“! The Weakleys are not likable at all. Coach Lu is rough and tough but not a bad person. Really like Coach Hutchins at Mich. She and Coach Tholl run a good program. Richardson at Liberty is a little odd (super smart) but she’s like talking to your buddy. Those are the ones that stick out to me. Hate I had to get out of softball last year will this illness crap. Really enjoyed it.

Never met Hutch but heard her speak once and enjoyed it. Weakleys are turds. From a small school but my daughter really liked Coach Burch from LSUA, in a camp with a bunch of other coaches. He had great energy, kept a fast pace in drills but fun and positive but gave really good instruction she thought. Torino she liked as well at the same camp and got a compliment from her so that helped. Ha. Some of her favorite coaches personality wise are in JUCO or small schools.

Think you will ever get back?