PDA

View Full Version : Let's not screw this up, we have to hire Billy Napier, regardless of the EB result...

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 09:51 PM
Billy Napier has been atop my wish list for a couple months now. He may not be the sexiest hire in the world, but at MSU we don't hire sexy. He makes the most sense and imo it would be a home run hire, and I'll tell you why.

Work Experience:

Let's take a look at the life of Billy Napier, and how his life and his experiences have molded him into the perfect fit for a MSU head coach.

15-18 years old: standout QB in high school, where he played QB under his father who was a head coach. In 1997 he was named to the 1st team all state team and signed a scholarship with Furman
18-23 years old: 4 year letterman, taking over the starting QB job in his Junior and Senior seasons, winning conference championships in both and making it all the way to the National Championship game his Junior year.
24-25 years old: Hired on at Clemson as a GA under Tommy Bowden, stayed 2 years
26 years old: Hired on at South Carolina State as QB coach.
26-29 years old: Tommy Bowden wanted him back on staff and hired him back as the TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator, where he remained for 3 years until midway through the 2008 season, Tommy Bowden was fired as Head Coach and Dabo Swinney took over as Interim Head Coach, who promoted Napier to QB coach with playcalling duties for the remainder of the season.
30-31 years old: Swinney was hired as HC after finishing out the 2008 season as interim. He liked what he saw from Napier and hired him on as OC and QB coach in 2009, where Clemson went on to break a school record for most points in a season in his first year as a OC at the age of 30 years. The next year(2010), didn't go as well and Napier was fired as OC.
32 years old: after losing his OC job at Clemson, he didn't have to wait long for another opportunity. He had caught the eye of Nick Saban, who hired him on in 2011 to one of the infamous "Offensive Analyst" positions. He stayed there for a year helping with then Alabama OC Jim McElwain.
33 years old: Following the 2011 season and an Alabama National Championship, McElwain was hired at Colorado State as Head Coach. McElwain was impressed by Napier in their time together at Alabama, and chose to hire him on to his staff at Colorado State as the Assistant Head Coach and QB coach for the 2012 season.
33-37 years old: After the 2012 season away from Alabama, Saban wanted Napier back on staff, and hired him on as the WR coach at Alabama, where he stayed for 4 years working under the guide of legendary Head Coach Nick Saban, for the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons.
38 years old: After a successful 4 year stint at Alabama, Napier was ready for a step up and took a job under Todd Graham at Arizona State as OC and QB coach. Napier's offense, almost alone, led Arizona State to a bowl game. Following the bowl game, Todd Graham was fired and ex NFL Head Coach Herm Edwards was hired at Arizona State as the New Head Coach. Upon arrival, one of Edwards first moves as HC was to attempt to keep Napier hired on as OC/QB Coach
38-40 years old: Upon arrival at Arizona State, one of Herm Edwards first moves as HC was to attempt to keep Napier on as OC/QB coach, however, Napier was being pursued as a HC and accepted the HC job at Louisiana Lafayette in late 2018 as a 38 year old first time HC. Napier took over a ULL team that missed out on a bowl game in 2017 with a 5-7 record. In a short amount of time before Signing Day 2018, Napier put together a class that finished 5th in the Sun Bel Conference, an improvement from the year before which was a class that finished 9th in the Sun Belt Conference. In 2018, he lead ULL back to a bowl game as well as a Sun Belt West division title and an appearance in the 2018 Sun Belt Conference Championship game. Following the conclusion of his first season at ULL, Napier went on to sign the #1 recruiting class in the Sun Belt, and was considered by most to be the favorite to win the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Championship. So far in 2019, Napier has ULL at an 8-2 record and atop their division, with only a season opener loss to MSU and a close loss to CFP poll ranked Appalachian State.

A couple of things stand out to me:

He was born to be a head coach. His dad was his high school head coach, this really matters. He has learned from a very young age what it takes to lead a team.
He is clearly a good playcaller, and knows his offense well. First, Dabo saw this and gave him a shot to call plays at just the age of 28, he impressed him so much that Dabo hired him as Offensive Coordinator and QB coach the next year, one where he set a Clemson record for yardage and points scored in a single season. Then he goes to Bama and works under Saban for a year as an offensive analyst, where he sharpened his skills. Then he worked under Saban for 5 years(1 year in there where McElwain took him with him to Colorado State to be the Assistant Head Coach and QB coach, aka offensive coordinator without the title) before being hired by Todd Graham at Arizona State to be his Offensive Coordinator. In his 1 year there, he vastly improved the ASU offense. In 2017( the year before he was there), ASU was #81 in total offense, #112 in rushing, and #85 in 3rd down conversion %, he took that team and turned them into the #32 offense, #51 rushing offense, and #23 in 3rd down conversion % in his 1 year there. Graham was fired after that season, but not because of the offense. Actually, Herm Edwards thought so much of him as a playcaller and offensive mind that he offered him the opportunity to retain his OC job at Arizona State, however, he accepted the HC job at ULL.
He has worked under some of the greatest Head Coaches in College Football History. He started off working for Tommy Bowden, not on of the best coaches of all time, but a coach that, like him, grew up as the son of a head coach. He was with Bowden for 5 years total and surely learned a lot about how to be a leader, and just a big time college football head coach in general. Then Bowden was fired and Dabo took over, one of the best ever. Then he went from Dabo's staff, straight to Saban's staff, where he worked for a total of 5 years. All in all, he worked 5 years under Nick Saban, 2.5 years under Dabo Swinney, and 4.5 years under Tommy Bowden, while also working with Dabo during this time. He has all that working experience and lessons learned from some of the best ever, and he has just turned 40.
Most of the head coaches he has worked under have tried to come back and get him back on their staff after leaving for a promotion at a different school. This says a lot to me. First, he started at Clemson as a GA under Tommy Bowden, then he accepted the QB coach job at South Carolina State where he stayed for only 1 year before Tommy Bowden came knocking again with a better job as the QB coach and Recruiting Coordinator for Clemson. Then later on he was an offensive analyst at Bama under Saban, before McElwain left for CSU and took Napier with him as the assistant head coach and QB coach, obviously McElwain thought a lot of him to bring him along as his #2. However, Saban thought a lot of him too and, again, after only 1 year away from Bama, Saban came back and offered him a better job than before, the WR coach job at Bama. When some of the best ever clearly badly want you on their staff, you know you are a good coach.
When head coaches are fired, the new coaches want to retain him. This says a lot as well. It says he is mature, a leader, someone that the new coach could not only use to ease the transition, but also just that good of a playcaller and coach. When Dabo took over, he kept Napier on and even promoted him to OC. When Todd Graham was fired at Arizona State, Herm Edwards wanted him to stay on and be retained as OC. You just don't see this a lot, especially with OC's.
He is a QB coach and OC first and foremost. This is what we need, right idea with Moorehead but the fit was not there, in many ways. Napier was a QB in his playing days, led Furman to the national championship game. Then after only 2 years as a GA, he took the QB coach job at South Carolina State at just the age of 25. Over the next 15 years he worked under many great coaches, and has worked with the QB's every step of the way, and in most cases, exclusively. Our next head coach needs to once again be a OC/QB coach, and he fits the mold perfectly.

Offensive Numbers:
Let's just look at the last 3 years for time's sake. First, and we have already talked about it, he took the over the offense at Arizona State in 2017 and saw a major improvement in his 1 year. Arizona State went from the #81 offense, #112 rushing offense and #85 3rd conversion % to the #37 offense, #51 rushing offense and #23 3rd down conversion %.

Now let's look at what he has done at ULL. We are gonna look at the 2017 stats, 2018 stats, and 2019 stats, so the year before he got there and his 2 years there to date. It will be in this format:
Statistic: 2017 --> 2018 --> 2019

Total Offense: #67 --> #44 --> #11
Scoring Offense: #68 --> #40 --> #12
Rushing Offense: #43 --> #22 --> #6
3rd down conv %: #93 --> #15 --> #9

To me it is clear, and exactly what we need, he makes no bones about it, he likes to RTGDF, and a lot. His teams are annually either one of the best rushing attacks or one of the most improved. This year he is on pace to have 3 running backs have over 800 yards and quite possibly 1000.

Scheme fit:

His scheme perfectly fits the personnel that will be available to him here at Mississippi State. Unlike Moorehead's O, he doesn't need the second coming of Albert Einstein to run his offense as a QB, just a decisive, athletic QB that can make good decisions. This perfectly fits what we can get. Also, he doesn't need an ole miss like WR corp(circa 2018) to run his offense effectively, he just needs WR that are big, touch, can block, and do their job and catch the ball when their number is called on play actions. This perfectly fits what is available to us. His offensive line just needs to be big uglies that live and breath run blocking, and will be given a couple years to learn those assignments like the back of their hand before being thrown in to the fire. Very similar to Mullen's offense here.

Recruiting:

He may not be known as an A+ recruiter, but I think he could be, atleast here at MSU, comparatively. He learned how to recruit at Clemson as a GA, did it so well that Tommy Bowden asked him to be the Recruiting Coordinator at the age of 26. He continued to learn and sharpen his skills for 3 years there, also learning the ropes under Dabo for those 3 years, and the 2 years after that. Then he went on to spend 5 years recruiting under Saban, who just might be the best recruiter the game has ever seen. By the time it was his turn to be HC and put entire classes together, he was ready and it showed.

The year before Napier stepped in at ULL, they finished with the #9 2017 recruiting class in the Sun Belt, a month before 2018 signing day, Napier was hired and had to scramble to throw together a class that wouldn't set him back a couple years, he went on to improve from last years class by 4 spots in the Sun Belt, finishing with the #5 recruiting class in the SBC. Then when he had an entire year to put a class together(2019 class), he went on to finish with the #1 recruiting class in the Sun Belt, from essentially last to first in less than 500 days. So far for the this years class(2020 class), he once again has the #1 recruiting class in the Sun Belt and is on pace to better his national ranking from last year by a good margin, and probably crack the top 50. Now couple all this with the fact that he has been recruiting in Alabama and Louisiana for the better part of the last decade, which happen to be our 2 biggest out of state recruiting grounds, and naturally, we are smack dab between the 2 states, naturally. So he most definitely knows the state of MS recruiting, and knows the surrounding states even better. Perfect fit imo.

His personality as a coach fits what we need here at MSU:

I have watched many interviews and read about him, I think he is a perfect fit at MSU, personality wise. He comes off as a good ole blue collar hard working southern man. He is well spoken but also has that vibe about him that says he doesn't think he is better than you, which is good for recruiting. As long as this box isn't checked with a negative, it's a positive, and in this case it's a positive.

All things considered, for a multitude of reasons, Napier is the perfect fit and should be #1 on our list. There is no need to go out and try to find some trendy diamond in the rough, or mess around and try to pull someone that we have no realistic shot at. Get your guy, he is in our backyard, learned from the best, can recruit, offensive genius, practices and preaches RTGDF, fits personality wise, and has D1 experience as a head coach running a program.

Cohen, let's not make this a page long equation to solve for x if we don't have to. Sometimes it's as simple as 2x=4, and in this case it is. Don't screw this up, get the right guy in there and let him start digging us our of the hole Moorehead has done, ASAP.

defiantdog
11-20-2019, 09:54 PM
TL;DR
He?s better than JoMo...... make the move

msstate7
11-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Dang, that was probably the best sell for a coach I've ever read on a message board.

Mjoelner34
11-20-2019, 09:58 PM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/c26b20d3523d58572c00a59fabfc6650/tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gifv

DogsofAnarchy
Mike Norvell is the man.

FriarsPoint
Agreed. I’ve been very high on him since watching his first season as a HC.

msstate7
11-20-2019, 09:59 PM
Mike Norvell is the man.

Clawson, Napier, or norvell, I'd be happy with any of those guys.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2019, 10:01 PM
He’s the smoke screen. And you left off his team’s passing stats for a reason.

TUSK
11-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Dang, that was probably the best sell for a coach I've ever read on a message board.

No doubt... Makes me wanna hire his ass when CNS retires....

msstate7
11-20-2019, 10:03 PM
He?s the smoke screen. And you left off his team?s passing stats for a reason.

ULL is 5th in passer offense in sun belt (10 teams), and 3rd in passer rating

Cooterpoot
11-20-2019, 10:05 PM
ULL is 5th in passer rating in sun belt (10 teams), and 3rd in passer rating

I’m not talking QB. I’m talking his passing offense rankings like above post.

Turfdawg67
11-20-2019, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=DeviousDawg;1183806]Billy Napier has been atop my wish list for a couple months now. He may not be the sexiest hire in the world, but at MSU we don't hire sexy. He makes the most sense and imo it would be a home run hire, and I'll tell you why.

Work Experience:

I really enjoy your posts, even though they are very long, but well written. But what happened with those long posts about OM getting hammered and the hotel in Oxford with the red backpacks full of money???

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 10:13 PM
I?m not talking QB. I?m talking his passing offense rankings like above post.

Yes, because I think we saw how things went last time we went searching for an offensive genius. At Arizona State they were in the 40s in passing O the year before he got there, and were in the 40s I. Passing O the year he was there. At ULL, they were in the 80s in passing O the year before he got there, last year they finished in the 90s and this year they will finish in the 70s. This doesn?t bother for a few reasons, 1 there is no regression, but for the most part, passing is not what he does, he does it well enough, just like Mullen, to make the bread and butter of the offense work, and that?s the run.

Mostly I left the passing stats off because that?s not what we are trying to do, we are trying to RTGDF, and that?s what a Billy Napier run offense will do. I mean can you really expect his teams to be top running and passing offenses?

Cooterpoot
11-20-2019, 10:13 PM
87th in passing, down from 78th when he took over
He’s not balanced offensively at all. Very run heavy. That’s not where football is headed. Cohen was looking to improve our passing game last hire. He’s still going to do that to a point. We can’t win SEC games simply pounding the rock.

Really Clark?
11-20-2019, 10:16 PM
He’s the smoke screen. And you left off his team’s passing stats for a reason.

They don’t pass because they have 3 RB’s already over 600 yards rushing. Uses his personnel very well. Very run heavy. Who cares about passing if you are 11th nationally in total offense. With better QB he would pass more. At ASU he threw it a good bit more than at ULL. Also, his QB ratings were a good bit higher than the passing stats.

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 10:18 PM
I’m
[QUOTE=DeviousDawg;1183806]Billy Napier has been atop my wish list for a couple months now. He may not be the sexiest hire in the world, but at MSU we don't hire sexy. He makes the most sense and imo it would be a home run hire, and I'll tell you why.

Work Experience:

I really enjoy your posts, even though they are very long, but well written. But what happened with those long posts about OM getting hammered and the hotel in Oxford with the red backpacks full of money???

Well, let’s see.. the NCAA had no subpoena power and couldn’t get any rebs on the inside to flip, therefore they couldn’t get concrete evidence to validate what they and many others knew, Ole Miss cheats like no other on the recruiting front. I think we all know this by now.

Turfdawg67
11-20-2019, 10:19 PM
He’s not balanced offensively at all. Very run heavy. That’s not where football is headed. Cohen was looking to improve our passing game last hire. He’s still going to do that to a point. We can’t win SEC games simply pounding the rock.

Agreed. Hell, most of the posters on here were wanting Mullen gone because he won the games he was suppose to win but couldn't get over the hump of competing with the big dogs. We'll love "a clone of Mullen" for a few years, but then we"ll be bitching again.

Turfdawg67
11-20-2019, 10:21 PM
I’m [QUOTE=Turfdawg67;1183825]

Well, let’s see.. the NCAA had no subpoena power and couldn’t get any rebs on the inside to flip, therefore they couldn’t get concrete evidence to validate what they and many others knew, Ole Miss cheats like no other on the recruiting front. I think we all know this by now.

Okay... fair enough. I have no inside knowledge. Sucks... where are my sources!!!

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Damn, great post.

I'm with 7, Napier, Norvell, or Clawson would all be great hires.

Turfdawg67
11-20-2019, 10:24 PM
I’m [QUOTE=Turfdawg67;1183825]

I would assume that if the NCAA had any kind of balls or f*cking pride, they'd be watching OM pretty damn hard if what you said was true.

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 10:26 PM
My biggest question is can he instill toughness? Bc we need someone to come in from day 1 to do that since Joe pu$$yfied our team in 2 years. If he can get after their ass and return us to our identity, I'm all in.

msstate7
11-20-2019, 10:26 PM
They don’t pass because they have 3 RB’s already over 600 yards rushing. Uses his personnel very well. Very run heavy. Who cares about passing if you are 11th nationally in total offense. With better QB he would pass more. At ASU he threw it a good bit more than at ULL. Also, his QB ratings were a good bit higher than the passing stats.

And ULL is 9th nationally in yds/play.

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 10:28 PM

It’s not like he runs the triple option. His offense works off presnap deception and multiple options in the backfield when the ball is snapped. That’s what we need. You can use this kind of offense and deception to mask talent deficiencies and thus compete with teams above your level on paper IF the offense is run properly. His teams still throw for 200+ ypg and most of that is off the play action and also misdirection rollouts and slides. That means you have high percentage passes that work off the run, as well as the chance for big time shots down the field off play actions when the run forces a team to commit to 7-8 in the box. We are MSU, and at MSU we will never have the talent to beat the Alabama’s and LSU’s of the world off talent alone and 1 on 1 matchups. However, we can beat them and we can do it by using our offense to raise the talent through deception, toughness and precision. We can not and will not ever use the talent to raise the offense, it’s the other way around. Mullen proved that and now Moorehead is proving it too, but on the other end. Just look at the Auburn game last seAson. Offense raised the talent through deception, it’s what we have to do, so get used to it. We will never have a sexy offense, and will never have a sexy coach. Hiring Norvell could be a home run, but then again it could be a disaster. We all know about the skeletons in his closet, who is to say there are skeletons we don’t know about. Napier has no skeletons. Let’s hire him and start playing Mississippi state Football. Napier feels like Mississippi State football, and if I’m being honest, Norvell feels like Ole Miss football.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Damn you kin to him or are you his agent?

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=DeviousDawg;1183829]I?m

I would assume that if the NCAA had any kind of balls or f*cking pride, they'd be watching OM pretty damn hard if what you said was true.

The NCAA lost their balls, and their pride too, many, many years ago. Right now you are witnessing the beginning of the end for the NCAA. Blown investigations, inconsistent penalties, the basketball shiteshow, and now California being California. I don?t know how or when it will end or what will replace it, but I do know that we are witnessing the beginning of the long painful death of our dear NCAA.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:39 PM
It?s not like he runs the triple option. His offense works off presnap deception and multiple options in the backfield when the ball is snapped. That?s what we need. You can use this kind of offense and deception to mask talent deficiencies and thus compete with teams above your level on paper IF the offense is run properly. His teams still throw for 200+ ypg and most of that is off the play action and also misdirection rollouts and slides. That means you have high percentage passes that work off the run, as well as the chance for big time shots down the field off play actions when the run forces a team to commit to 7-8 in the box. We are MSU, and at MSU we will never have the talent to beat the Alabama?s and LSU?s of the world off talent alone and 1 on 1 matchups. However, we can beat them and we can do it by using our offense to raise the talent through deception, toughness and precision. We can not and will not ever use the talent to raise the offense, it?s the other way around. Mullen proved that and now Moorehead is proving it too, but on the other end. Just look at the Auburn game last seAson. Offense raised the talent through deception, it?s what we have to do, so get used to it. We will never have a sexy offense, and will never have a sexy coach. Hiring Norvell could be a home run, but then again it could be a disaster. We all know about the skeletons in his closet, who is to say there are skeletons we don?t know about. Napier has no skeletons. Let?s hire him and start playing Mississippi state Football. Napier feels like Mississippi State football, and if I?m being honest, Norvell feels like Ole Miss football.

His QB is 5'11 which he inherited and now a true Jr I believe ... little guy but fast. Completing 65% with 16 TDs, 4 picks. Seems like he runs to set up the pass, which is what we could've done last year. Not saying he's a HR but don't see anything that scares me off too much either. Seems like he's working with the personnel he has on hand to me somewhat.

Political Hack
11-20-2019, 10:40 PM
Billy's wife hijacked DD's account again.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-20-2019, 10:47 PM
Excellent post. Best I've seen in quite some time here.

I don't get people calling into question Napier's passing stats. 1) His total O has really good numbers so who gives a F what of it comes from run vs pass? #11 in total O is #11 in total O. #9 in ypp is a really explosive offense. 2) This board will always have some people who think we should #alwaysrunneverpass, and some people that think we need to sling it all over to keep up with where the game seems to be going. Some people think we have to take an offensive risk to ever become elite, some think we'll never get the athletes needed for a passing O and should stick to physical football.

No matter who we discuss, someone will be upset because we don't agree on philosophy.

I like Napier. A lot. Improvement each years he's been there shows he can coach. Best recruiting class in his conference means he knows how to sell what he's doing to players. We've played him early in the season twice and both years his O has been disciplined, fast, knows what it's doing, executes well, and the game plan was really good as far as attacking the weaknesses of our D. Far cleaner in the early season than we've been, even under Dan. His O isn't reliant on freaks at RB and QB, it will work with what we have. Most importantly, he's shown he can make a good O while also handling the HC responsibilities. And, as this post points out, he's recruited in Alabama and Louisiana and worked under the 2 best football coaches in the country.

I also like Norvell, but what exactly is his resume? Took a good program that had it's coach poached and made them a little better. Good O, bad D every year, works just up the road from us so should know a lot of the recruiting landscape. Track record of assistants getting poached so he probably has a good eye for coaches. Rumored to have off field issues.

To me, it seems clear Napier is a better hire, but I like Norvell and for all I know he'd do better

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:47 PM
He?s the smoke screen. And you left off his team?s passing stats for a reason.

Seems like you may know something we don't.

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Damn you kin to him or are you his agent?

No, I just love Mississippi State football and can see that Napier is by far the best, most realistic fit, and would like for the rest of the fan base to see this before it gets crazy up in here with rumors and names. I’ll say one thing, Cooterpoot says he is a smoke screen, I can verify that that is simply not true. Very serious candidate if and when the job becomes available.

Side note: we aren’t technically related, that’s why they call it in-laws***

HoopsDawg
11-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Napier's offensive schemes and philosophy remind me a lot of Malzahns.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Does norvells complete lack of defense scare anyone else? If I remember correctly, there was a post on here a while back about how bad Memphis defense is in their own conference.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Does norvells complete lack of defense scare anyone else? If I remember correctly, there was a post on here a while back about how bad Memphis defense is in their own conference.

It do to me.

msstate7
11-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Certainly not good, but not awful...
Total def: 6th in 2019 and 2018
Yds/play: 6th in 2019 and 2018
Scoring def: 6th in 2019 and 2018

ETA... 12 teams in AAC

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:18 PM

ETA... 12 teams in AAC

That be poor to me. Needs improvement from one year to next. He been there 4 years and only got it up to 6th out of 12. Top 3 would make me feel better.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 11:18 PM

ETA... 12 teams in AAC

So dead middle. Better than I thought.

If the gambling and the sex can even be halfway substantiated, i dont see Cohen going that route after Cannizzaro

confucius say
11-20-2019, 11:19 PM

ETA... 12 teams in AAC

How does ULL do defensively?

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:21 PM
How does ULL do defensively?

This year in conference 2 and 38th nationally.

ETA: Memphis is 57th nationally.

ETAA: Napier coached 5 years under Saban. That's a plus in my book.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 11:21 PM

They did hold UM to one of their lowest scoring games. I am not sure if I have a preference.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:24 PM
They did hold UM to one of their lowest scoring games. I am not sure if I have a preference.

That was 1st game of year. Primadonna was still QB for OM then. RR hadn't yet figured out what he had overall.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 11:24 PM

Yea but that was corral OM. Im not sure they scored on anybody with corral at qb

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Damn. Let him bring his staff with him and let's get to work

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 11:25 PM
I?m not talking QB. I?m talking his passing offense rankings like above post.

A good bit better than Moorhead's passing offense. If I told you that we could win 10 games normally but we run the triple option, would you want it?

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Here's something interesting for recruiting purposes.

He was born in Tennessee, grew up and played football in Georgia, coached with Saban in Alabama for 5 years, and has now been a HC in Louisiana for 2 years. Most of our out of state recruits come from these states.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 11:27 PM

He should have recruiting ties in Louisiana and Alabama too, another big plus. And in MS for that matter. I am liking him more and more

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:28 PM
Damn. Let him bring his staff with him and let's get to work

I still wanna give Shoop a shot under a good HC myself. Otherwise I would probably mostly agree. If Norvell kept Shoop I might go along with that too. If he really steps out like rumors say tho ... not sure that would fly with Shoop although I don't really know. Just the way I take Shoop to be.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:30 PM
He should have recruiting ties in Louisiana and Alabama too, another big plus. And in MS for that matter. I am liking him more and more

I kinda like him barring getting someone like Satterfield. I think he works with what he has. I think he'll try to get the passing better over time but before that happens, he'll try to pass effectively and teach his QB to take care of the ball.

Hadn't watched them enough to really judge it well tho.

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 11:31 PM
I still wanna give Shoop a shot under a good HC myself. Otherwise I would probably mostly agree. If Norvell kept Shoop I might go along with that too. If he really steps out like rumors say tho ... not sure that would fly with Shoop although I don't really know. Just the way I take Shoop to be.

I'd like to keep Shoop as well, but it's kind of hard to tell an incoming coach who his staff is. But if Napier and Shoop agreed to work together, I'd be all for it.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 11:42 PM
ULL's run pass ratio is similar to ours this year. Except they're better at passing.

He was a little more balanced at Arizona State than he is at ULL. So, his stats are probably more personnel dependent than anything. Of course adjusting to your current personnel is a good thing.

I like Napier just because he knows how to actually run a college/SEC program because he has basically built a mini version of Alabama's program at ULL. Joe doesn't have a clue how to do this and therefore he doesn't know what to ask of the administration.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 11:43 PM
I'd like to keep Shoop as well, but it's kind of hard to tell an incoming coach who his staff is. But if Napier and Shoop agreed to work together, I'd be all for it.

I'd guess that if Napier left there is a decent chance that his DC, Ron Roberts would be promoted. If that happens keeping Shoop may happen.

DeviousDawg
11-20-2019, 11:59 PM

He was born in Tennessee, grew up and played football in Georgia, coached with Saban in Alabama for 5 years, and has now been a HC in Louisiana for 2 years. Most of our out of state recruits come from these states.

Don't forget he played college ball in South Carolina and coached at 2 different schools in South Carolina. He knows the Southeast, that's for sure. Personally, I think he could recruit at a level above Moorehead and Mullen, say floor in the 25-27 range and average in the 18-20 range.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 12:00 AM
Can't believe I'm typing this, but should we call jim mcelwain? He did a good job at Colorado st, seemed to be doing ok at florida before the wheels came off year 3, and now in his first year there he's improved central Michigan's 1-11 (0-8) last year to 7-4 (5-2).

Improvements from last year to this season in conf...
(12 team conference)
Scoring offense: 12th to 4th
Total offense: 12th to 3rd
Yds/play: 12th to 4th

If he beats Toledo and western Michigan loses to northern Illinois, McE will have taken winless central Michigan last year to a championship game this year. He's been good

ckDOG
11-21-2019, 12:03 AM
He?s a great fit. I think there?s little doubt about it.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Don't forget he played college ball in South Carolina and coached at 2 different schools in South Carolina. He knows the Southeast, that's for sure. Personally, I think he could recruit at a level above Moorehead and Mullen, say floor in the 25-27 range and average in the 18-20 range.

I think he would improve our recruiting because he has seen how Saban does it. That's what happened at Georgia when Smart took over and copied the same formula. Alabama has a system for selling their program to players- and I'm talking about legally here.

Napier currently has the number one class in the Sun Belt right now. And if ULL can implement his recruiting machine MSU can certainly do it too.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 12:06 AM
Can't believe I'm typing this, but should we call jim mcelwain? He did a good job at Colorado st, seemed to be doing ok at florida before the wheels came off year 3, and now in his first year there he's improved central Michigan's 1-11 (0-8) last year to 7-4 (5-2).

(12 team conference)

If he beats Toledo and western Michigan loses to northern Illinois, McE will have taken winless central Michigan last year to a championship game this year. He's been good

Personally I wouldn't hate it. Florida ran him off essentially because they wanted Chip Kelly. They screwed it up and ended up with Dan.

DeviousDawg
11-21-2019, 12:36 AM
I should say this, if you can get Norvell you take him, but he would have to accept before the end of this regular season, behind closed doors of course, which means he would have already accepted by now in private. You have to keep in mind that we will not be the only school looking for a coach, and while we love Mississippi State, someone with no connections to our school does not view our school and football program the way we do. It is what it is, Arkansas is probably even a better job than ours to a completely non biased observer, I'm not saying it is, just saying it could and probably is viewed that way. We can't sit around and wait for Norvell to try and leverage our offer into a better one somewhere else. If we do that we would not only miss out on Norvell, but also the rest of our top 5 choices.

Here is what I would do if I were Cohen(and its probably already happened), I would offer Norvell his asking price as long as its $6M or less(I would always rather us have to find money to pay a good coach, than save money and have a shite coach. We could pay Mullen $6M, so we can pay someone else at or just below that, the money a good coach would help bring into the program, school, and community as a whole would far outweigh the $2M or so we would save annually by hiring a shite coach, this is the SEC, money should never be the problem, EVER.) Anyway... I'd throw $6M at Norvell, and tell him you are our #1, we would love to have you and be the last job you ever take, however, we are giving you 48 hours to talk to your family and advisors, and give us a decision in writing. If he hasn't accepted within 48 hours, I tell him good luck but we have to move on. If he doesn't accept $6M within a reasonable time from of 48 hours, he was never gonna accept it. I think Cohen has learned this lesson and will give the long shot big name guys atop the list offers, but shot clocks too. We can and will be played by coaches and their agents, its the way it works. It's as simple as this, offer what they want as long as it is let's say $6M or less(we can easily make that work, now is not the time to be frugal), give them no more than a couple days to decide, if they haven't accepted within that time frame, move on. If you dick around trying to get guys out of your league, you end up losing out on a chance with the realistic guys in the middle of your list, and end up settling for someone who wasn't even on the initial list. You see this happen every year over and over again, usually to schools that perceive themselves as a program 2-3 levels above what they are in reality. Yes, I think we are capable of hiring "the guy" type coaches, like top tier coaches, however, I think we have to find them just before they became "the guy". Give Napier a couple years and we might be laughing at the thought of us thinking he would want to be our coach.

When Norvell's 48 hours is up, I would throw $4.5M at Napier with plans to have him at $6M by 2023 if he meets his annual goals, I would then give him until December 1st to decide, with the understanding that other offers may be made between now and then, so if he wants it, the sooner he accepts it, the better, for both parties. This guy would get us back on track, he has shown he has the ability to be (maybe) an elite recruiter, he also has learned to coach from the best and runs the gd football, and at an elite level.

Napier is the right fit in all the places that Moorehead was not. Our program has slid the past 2 years, but luckily our talent level has not as we have recruited at the same or even better level than we were under Mullen. This means the right fit could step in and have us back competing as early as next year. What's even better is that Napier has shown that he can install, and successfully run his offense at a high level in year 1, he has done this everywhere he has been, in year 1. I would be ecstatic if we could pull Norvell, but I do have some questions, whereas with Napier I have less. However, I believe Norvell's ceiling may be a tad bit higher than Napier's, but at this point that's nothing more than a semi-educated guess. Norvell = SEXY pick with a few question marks; Napier = realistic & perfect fit. I'd be more than happy with both, offer both their asking price, with a shorter leash on Norvell. If they both don't accept pretty much on the spot, they never were, so you move on. Cohen is going to get it right this time, I trust him. He's our guy and he is learning from his mistakes, while recognizing what and where it went wrong. I'm pretty confident Norvell or Napier is our next guy, and judging by today's onslaught of "prepare for Moorehead's firing" talking points from MSU's chosen talking heads, it seems like someone has accepted. I am 100% guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were case. I do feel bad for Joe, great guy, just not our guy. He will land on his feet making 7 digits somewhere as an OC. Some guys just don't have what it takes internally to be a HC, Moorehead is example #1. I can only thank him for bringing in some good recruiting classes, comparatively, and giving us his best shot.

ckDOG
11-21-2019, 01:26 AM
Nailing it Devious. While I think Norvell is in a position to get snatched up by a blue blood/upper echelon program in the next 1-2 years, I think you make your best offer and have him take it or leave it in a short time frame. You wouldn?t be doing your job if you don?t make him say no. Even #2 on our list would understand that.

The moment he balks or says no, all hands on deck for Napier. He?s the next best option for MSU.

All other options are pipe dreams, coordinators, or coaches that are a stretch to fit in at MSU.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Napier's offensive schemes and philosophy remind me a lot of Malzahns.

Wyatt said it was the same back when we played them.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 07:01 AM
That was 1st game of year. Primadonna was still QB for OM then. RR hadn't yet figured out what he had overall.

(12 team conference)

Oh hell no. He was awful. Don't look at stats on that one. He was awful.

dantheman4248
11-21-2019, 08:28 AM
He?s not balanced offensively at all. Very run heavy. That?s not where football is headed. Cohen was looking to improve our passing game last hire. He?s still going to do that to a point. We can?t win SEC games simply pounding the rock.

We could have thrown 0 passes in 2018 and went 11-1

timotheus
11-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Joe say run plays are explosive and fancy........

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Had look that one up. Napier played for his dad at Murray County HS, and they were pretty dang good in the mid-late 90s under them - won 3 Region titles in 10 years in AAA, one with Billy as QB. That was tough region back then with Dalton, Cedartown, & the Whitfield county schools

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 09:01 AM

(12 team conference)

I've thought McE was good but was perplexed at lack of O at FL. Then he turned nutcase. So not a fan anymore. I still think he can coach tho.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 09:17 AM
I've thought McE was good but was perplexed at lack of O at FL. Then he turned nutcase. So not a fan anymore. I still think he can coach tho.

I was very underwhelmed with him at Florida, but I am impressed with him this year. He wouldn't be my first choice, but if we got turned down a couple times, maybe

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2019, 09:18 AM

With the all time leading rushing QB in the SEC, a RB who ran for over 1,000 yards the year before, and two Oline that are starting in the NFL this year. Jenkins right now is statistically the best interior Olineman in the NFL. It is Croom level offensive coaching in 2018 with that talent. We could have probably ran 15-20 different plays and won at least 10 games as long as we ran the read option and not the bullshit RPO that Joe wants to run.

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2019, 09:22 AM
I was very underwhelmed with him at Florida, but I am impressed with him this year. He wouldn't be my first choice, but if we got turned down a couple times, maybe

I personally would pick Hud as a fallback option but I wouldn't be opposed to McE. He already has proven that he will 17 over sharks so he has that going already.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 09:34 AM

No we couldn?t. But Napier was fired at Clemson because he went to power formations and got away from the spread passing game that Dabo wanted. He and Dabo got into it over it and Dabo repeatedly changed the offensive calls. Now, everyone can say Napier was only 30, but he?s doing the same things at ULL. He?s just in a conference where he can get away with it.
There?s concern with him in regards to his ability to create a quality passing attack. All coaches will have concerns. But if Cohen believes we need a passing game (we do), then I question this direction. There are no “Homeruns” for us.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 09:37 AM
No we couldn?t. But Napier was fired at Clemson because he went to power formations and got away from the spread passing game that Dabo wanted. He and Dabo got into it over it and Dabo repeatedly changed the offensive calls. Now, everyone can say Napier was only 30, but he?s doing the same things at ULL. He?s just in a conference where he can get away with it.
There?s concern with him in regards to his ability to create a quality passing attack.

We will never out athlete LSU and Bama at the skill positions. Clemson can get skill position players that we can't.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2019, 09:42 AM
There?s concern with him in regards to his ability to create a quality passing attack. All coaches will have concerns. But if Cohen believes we need a passing game (we do), then I question this direction. There are no “Homeruns” for us.

We aren’t looking for a quality passing attack. We aren’t interested. That’s not what we will ever be at State. And all these teams doing it now.....guess what? They will all be going back away from it soon. It’s what happens in football. They will be forced to change back.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:16 AM
We aren’t looking for a quality passing attack. We aren’t interested. That’s not what we will ever be at State. And all these teams doing it now.....guess what? They will all be going back away from it soon. It’s what happens in football. They will be forced to change back.

Disagree. If 7 wins a year is your goal, then great. But to advance, our offense must advance as well. Football has become more of a passing game. That’s not changing anytime soon. And if OM can recruit good WRs, there’s no excuse for us. Hell, most HS teams in MS now run the spread. Look at all the MS kids we missed on at WR.

vv83
11-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Wow I'm sold. Go get him

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 10:20 AM

The year before when he was OC they scored more points in their history, at that time. They definitely had a bad 2nd year, no question and it was the right move by Dabo. But you can find a bad year for nearly every coach like that. Growth happens and he is doing what his personnel dictates at ULL. That’s a positive not a negative like you make it out to be. He threw a lot more at ASU.

The home run hire is a false measuring stick. Chip Kelly was the home run hire for UCLA 2 years ago...doesn’t mean jack until games are played. We don’t need home runs right now. We need a consistent hitter who has power potential to stabilize the program. There are no guarantees...LSU wasn’t guaranteed the type of success when they hire Saban. He had only one good year at Michigan St. The rest were .500 years and his seat was getting warm. Dantonio did a much better job than Saban their. But Saban grew as a HC during that time.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Disagree. If 7 wins a year is your goal, then great. But to advance, our offense must advance as well. Football has become more of a passing game. That’s not changing anytime soon. And if OM can recruit good WRs, there’s no excuse for us. Hell, most HS teams in MS now run the spread. Look at all the MS we missed on at WR.

OM had 2 of the best WRs in the country last year, and won 5 games. We had no WRs and a totally incompetent coach, and won 8 with a roster built on defense and running the ball

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:26 AM
OM had 2 of the best WRs in the country last year, and won 5 games. We had no WRs and a totally incompetent coach, and won 8 with a roster built on defense and running the ball

Because they had no defense, primarily. And they lost one of those great WRs to injury. They scored in most games. They couldn’t stop anybody.
And I’m not for throwing it every down. But you have to have a legitimate passing game. We haven’t had much at all since 2015.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Because they had no defense, primarily. And they lost one of those great WRs to injury. They scored in most games. They couldn’t stop anybody.
And I’m not for throwing it every down. But you have to have a legitimate passing game. We haven’t had much at all since 2015.

They were 10th in the conference in scoring in conf-only games. I didn't even mention lodge and Moore or their nfl te, Knox.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-21-2019, 10:35 AM

(12 team conference)

I figured he'd end up at OM since he loves sharks so much..*

msstate7
11-21-2019, 10:37 AM
OM lost aj, Metcalf, Knox, little, Patterson, lodge, and 5-0 (5 drafted, 2 UFA) from last year's offense, and they're up to 5th in sec only games scoring from 10th last year by going to a run first offense

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:38 AM
OM lost aj, Metcalf, Knox, little, Patterson, lodge, and 5-0 (5 drafted, 2 UFA) from last year's offense, and they're up to 5th in sec only games scoring from 10th last year by going to a run first offense

And they’ve won 4 games, with a better defense.
Got to have some balance. You can’t be one dimensional without far superior talent.

msstate7
11-21-2019, 10:41 AM

So if they kept throwing it and scored less, they'd be better off. Makes sense

NWADAWG
11-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Napier obviously thinks ahead too. He planted his agent on here 571 posts ago so that he could become one of us and petition from the inside.

dantheman4248
11-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Got to have some balance. You can’t be one dimensional without far superior talent.

They also have a way tougher OOC schedule (4-0 to 2-2 due to it). Going from 1 to 2 (god forbid 3) SEC wins is improvement on their end.

tcdog70
11-21-2019, 11:51 AM
with all that said and done--Hud's resume' is more impressive. he has more experience and more years to compare. He runs the exact offense that we are looking for. he doesn't require a 3 year turnaround-- he gets results immediately.

Pipedream
11-21-2019, 12:05 PM
with all that said and done--Hud's resume' is more impressive. he has more experience and more years to compare. He runs the exact offense that we are looking for. he doesn't require a 3 year turnaround-- he gets results immediately.

In what way, world, or universe is Hud's resume more impressive than Napier or Norvell? Hell McElwain has a more impressive resume than Hud (not condoning McE, he's bad).

DeviousDawg
11-21-2019, 12:06 PM

I've been against it for years, maybe the familiarity made it seem like it would be settling. However, this debacle of the last 2 years has made me come to a realization, we know what will work here, why be cute and try to fix what ain't broke. RTGDF, can't say it enough. Hud would do just that. Not sexy, at all, but he has proven he can win time and time again. He's a great fit and has rejuvenated his coaching career at Austin Peay. Right now I would have Hud as 3rd on the list behind Norvell and Napier. If all 3 of those guys say no or can't come to an agreement, you might as well keep Moorehead, retain this years recruiting class, and try again next year.

Hud would do just fine here, undoubtedly better than what Moorehead has done.

Dawgfan77
11-21-2019, 12:44 PM
The beauty in all this is
A. This fan base is as united as we have been since 2014
B. If Napier turns us down (Highly doubt he would) then we can go get Hud

If we go the OC way Sark wouldn?t be a bad hire

TrapGame
11-21-2019, 12:57 PM
I'm fine with Norvell, Napier or Hud. I'm not a huge fanboy of Hud's but it may be time to offer him the captain's chair. If we pull Norvell, the rumors be damned, that will be seen nationally as a home run hire.

Coursesuper
11-21-2019, 12:57 PM

If this is progressing like we think, they better have this already figured out. There have been more than five weeks between today and the Nuke of the TN performance, it better be damn near figured out by now.

Irondawg
11-21-2019, 01:03 PM
If you hired Napier would you be ok with him being HC and calling the plays? Worked ok for Mullen but it hasn't worked at all for Joe and I think it's always 50/50 if people can balance both. The positive is I assume Napier is already doing it at ULL.

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2019, 01:19 PM
If you hired Napier would you be ok with him being HC and calling the plays? Worked ok for Mullen but it hasn't worked at all for Joe and I think it's always 50/50 if people can balance both. The positive is I assume Napier is already doing it at ULL.

I would think the issues usually would show up in other ways and not the actual playcalling. Our actual playcalling under Joe is hot garbage. I think one thing is that head coaches have to figure out how to balance all the other needs of a head coach. I think it took Mullen a couple of years to know how to balance it. The good thing with Napier is that he has already called plays against SEC teams so the speed isn't going to overwhelm him.

PGHBulldogBG
11-21-2019, 01:31 PM
I’m fine with Napier but please no McE. We already saw that experience at Florida.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 01:56 PM
I’m fine with Napier but please no McE. We already saw that experience at Florida.

McE sucks. I can't believe anyone would consider him

Percho
11-21-2019, 02:09 PM
That be poor to me. Needs improvement from one year to next. He been there 4 years and only got it up to 6th out of 12. Top 3 would make me feel better.

Need to take in account coach turnover. People are hiring his coaches.

tcdog70
11-21-2019, 03:02 PM
In what way, world, or universe is Hud's resume more impressive than Napier or Norvell? Hell McElwain has a more impressive resume than Hud (not condoning McE, he's bad).

he won at ULL-NorthAL and now APeay. That is 3 schools that sucked till he came along. Plus when He was on our staff-he was very good. name me 3 Schools that sucked that Napier and Norvell has turned around.

FriarsPoint
11-21-2019, 03:04 PM
he won at ULL-NorthAL and now APeay. That is 3 schools that sucked till he came along. Plus when He was on our staff-he was very good. name me 3 Schools that sucked that Napier and Norvell has turned around.

In all fairness, Hud left a mess at ULL and Napier turned it around in 1 year.

MrKotter
11-21-2019, 03:20 PM

How is Norvell?s more impressive? Both have done well in their leagues with the difference being Hud wins his bowl games and Norvell has gone winless

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2019, 03:25 PM
I should say this, if you can get Norvell you take him, but he would have to accept before the end of this regular season, behind closed doors of course, which means he would have already accepted by now in private. You have to keep in mind that we will not be the only school looking for a coach, and while we love Mississippi State, someone with no connections to our school does not view our school and football program the way we do. It is what it is, Arkansas is probably even a better job than ours to a completely non biased observer, I'm not saying it is, just saying it could and probably is viewed that way. We can't sit around and wait for Norvell to try and leverage our offer into a better one somewhere else. If we do that we would not only miss out on Norvell, but also the rest of our top 5 choices.

Here is what I would do if I were Cohen(and its probably already happened), I would offer Norvell his asking price as long as its $6M or less(I would always rather us have to find money to pay a good coach, than save money and have a shite coach. We could pay Mullen $6M, so we can pay someone else at or just below that, the money a good coach would help bring into the program, school, and community as a whole would far outweigh the $2M or so we would save annually by hiring a shite coach, this is the SEC, money should never be the problem, EVER.) Anyway... I'd throw $6M at Norvell, and tell him you are our #1, we would love to have you and be the last job you ever take, however, we are giving you 48 hours to talk to your family and advisors, and give us a decision in writing. If he hasn't accepted within 48 hours, I tell him good luck but we have to move on. If he doesn't accept $6M within a reasonable time from of 48 hours, he was never gonna accept it. I think Cohen has learned this lesson and will give the long shot big name guys atop the list offers, but shot clocks too. We can and will be played by coaches and their agents, its the way it works. It's as simple as this, offer what they want as long as it is let's say $6M or less(we can easily make that work, now is not the time to be frugal), give them no more than a couple days to decide, if they haven't accepted within that time frame, move on. If you dick around trying to get guys out of your league, you end up losing out on a chance with the realistic guys in the middle of your list, and end up settling for someone who wasn't even on the initial list. You see this happen every year over and over again, usually to schools that perceive themselves as a program 2-3 levels above what they are in reality. Yes, I think we are capable of hiring "the guy" type coaches, like top tier coaches, however, I think we have to find them just before they became "the guy". Give Napier a couple years and we might be laughing at the thought of us thinking he would want to be our coach.

When Norvell's 48 hours is up, I would throw $4.5M at Napier with plans to have him at $6M by 2023 if he meets his annual goals, I would then give him until December 1st to decide, with the understanding that other offers may be made between now and then, so if he wants it, the sooner he accepts it, the better, for both parties. This guy would get us back on track, he has shown he has the ability to be (maybe) an elite recruiter, he also has learned to coach from the best and runs the gd football, and at an elite level.

Napier is the right fit in all the places that Moorehead was not. Our program has slid the past 2 years, but luckily our talent level has not as we have recruited at the same or even better level than we were under Mullen. This means the right fit could step in and have us back competing as early as next year. What's even better is that Napier has shown that he can install, and successfully run his offense at a high level in year 1, he has done this everywhere he has been, in year 1. I would be ecstatic if we could pull Norvell, but I do have some questions, whereas with Napier I have less. However, I believe Norvell's ceiling may be a tad bit higher than Napier's, but at this point that's nothing more than a semi-educated guess. Norvell = SEXY pick with a few question marks; Napier = realistic & perfect fit. I'd be more than happy with both, offer both their asking price, with a shorter leash on Norvell. If they both don't accept pretty much on the spot, they never were, so you move on. Cohen is going to get it right this time, I trust him. He's our guy and he is learning from his mistakes, while recognizing what and where it went wrong. I'm pretty confident Norvell or Napier is our next guy, and judging by today's onslaught of "prepare for Moorehead's firing" talking points from MSU's chosen talking heads, it seems like someone has accepted. I am 100% guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were case. I do feel bad for Joe, great guy, just not our guy. He will land on his feet making 7 digits somewhere as an OC. Some guys just don't have what it takes internally to be a HC, Moorehead is example #1. I can only thank him for bringing in some good recruiting classes, comparatively, and giving us his best shot.

Yup Yup Yup

BhamDawg205
11-21-2019, 09:24 PM
I think he would improve our recruiting because he has seen how Saban does it. That's what happened at Georgia when Smart took over and copied the same formula. Alabama has a system for selling their program to players- and I'm talking about legally here.

Napier currently has the number one class in the Sun Belt right now. And if ULL can implement his recruiting machine MSU can certainly do it too.

Well Alabama does sell itself, but those black Charger swag bags don't hurt either

OLJWales
11-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Devious Dawg is Napier's wife or part time squeeze. Either way, I'm sold. Hire the dude.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:03 PM

Hud ain’t on our list.

DeputyDawg94
11-21-2019, 10:05 PM
McE sucks. I can't believe anyone would consider him

Only if he could 17 a land shark every year. ***

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Well Alabama does sell itself, but those black Charger swag bags don't hurt either

Saban improved Alabama's recruiting with his system of recruiting. Georgia copied it under Smart and they immediately improved in recruiting. Even more impressive and relevant- ULL copied the same Alabama model and now has the best class in the Sun Belt and is on a path to winning 10 games.

If we want to maximize our recruiting- Napier IMO is probably the best way to do it. And of course I'm talking about legally. Hud of course would do well with recruiting also. But Napier's system may be more sustainable. And Norvell I think would recruit well also- but I just think that Napier is probably the best way to go.

HailStateSZN19
11-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Hud ain’t on our list.

Who exactly is on our list aside from Napier? Is our admin willing to go after Norvell with all his “rumored baggage”? Napier is obviously the main one being thrown around but you had said either in this thread or another that Napier was just a smoke screen (if I remember correctly). So who exactly is on our list at this point?

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Who exactly is on our list aside from Napier? Is our admin willing to go after Norvell with all his “rumored baggage”? Napier is obviously the main one being thrown around but you had said either in this thread or another that Napier was just a smoke screen (if I remember correctly). So who exactly is on our list at this point?

Can’t answer that, but Hud isn’t. At least not the primary list. We’d have to go through a bunch of folks to get to Hud. Norvell isn’t either. Got to wait and see who is available. I was told Napier isn’t the top guy but I’m questioning that if Norvell isn’t an option.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Disagree. If 7 wins a year is your goal, then great. But to advance, our offense must advance as well. Football has become more of a passing game. That?s not changing anytime soon. And if OM can recruit good WRs, there?s no excuse for us. Hell, most HS teams in MS now run the spread. Look at all the MS kids we missed on at WR.

I agree with this. MSU fans are so incredibly black and white. "Well this coach did this and we didn't like him so we should never ever try to do that again." It could be bunting, zone defense, passing, running, whatever.

Then people are mad when we can't compete with Alabama because we have no prayer because we can't throw the ball. Like two years ago. Now it's HAND THE DAMN BALL OFF EVERY TIME! Even though we're like third in the SEC in rushing and have I think over 100 more rushing attempts than pass attempts.

The best offense we had was 2014 when we were actually able to run and pass effectively. And we CAN replicate that. But we can't do it by being lazy in recruiting like Dan and we can't have a coach that doesn't prepare the team well like Joe. Those are MUCH more pressing issues than our offensive balance. Which has been a hell of a lot better than the defense or special teams this year if we're actually being honest and looking at the stats.

HailStateSZN19
11-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Can’t answer that, but Hud isn’t. At least not the primary list. We’d have to go through a bunch of folks to get to Hud. Norvell isn’t either. Got to wait and see who is available. I was told Napier isn’t the top guy but I’m questioning that if Norvell isn’t an option.

Gotcha. Thanks for the response Cooter.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 10:21 PM

See, that's why I think we're getting Napier. Cohen isn't going to want to take a chance on having another Cann situation with out biggest money making sport. Unless the cigar boys are willing to give him a pass since they're the ones picking the coach this time- which is plausible. I have a feeling that Hud is essentially like Orgeron was to LSU's last search where they missed on Tom Herman and they needed someone to take the job instead of dragging things out. He's probably our parachute this time around. We know he'll take the job if something happens like Dan to Tennessee a couple of years ago.

Noxdog
11-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Hud ain?t on our list.

THIS

Cooterpoot
11-21-2019, 10:25 PM
I think more names will come out if we lose the egg. I?m not convinced we?ll be looking for a coach if we win the egg.
Unless Joe got another job.

HailStateSZN19
11-21-2019, 10:33 PM
I think more names will come out if we lose the egg. I?m not convinced we?ll be looking for a coach if we win the egg.
Unless Joe got another job.

With no inside info, I’d expect us to keep him if we get to 6 wins and go bowling & that’s just my opinion. Unless he leaves on his own which I still just don’t see happening. Although, the Schiano-Rutgers deal seems to have hit a bump in the road and some people may not want Schiano hired at Rutgers. But still probably ends up being him so other than that job, where would Joe even leave for? It’ll be interesting to see what new names emerge as possibilities closer to the EB, especially during if we’re getting beat and after the game if we go on to lose.

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2019, 10:54 PM

I wouldn't put UNA in the same "suck" category as ULL and AP. They are one of the better DII programs over the past 40 or so years. They made a bad hire between Wallace and Hud that went 20-21 over 4 seasons, but outside of that they've won about 70% of their games since the early 1970s and have multiple Nattys. They even gave us Bobby Wallace - the 1990s version of Hud.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 11:25 PM
With no inside info, I’d expect us to keep him if we get to 6 wins and go bowling & that’s just my opinion. Unless he leaves on his own which I still just don’t see happening. Although, the Schiano-Rutgers deal seems to have hit a bump in the road and some people may not want Schiano hired at Rutgers. But still probably ends up being him so other than that job, where would Joe even leave for? It’ll be interesting to see what new names emerge as possibilities closer to the EB, especially during if we’re getting beat and after the game if we go on to lose.

Don't discount the possibility of him becoming an OC again. Penn State would probably take him right now. And if James Franklin goes somewhere else I would say there is a good chance Joe could be the OC wherever that is.

Irondawg
11-22-2019, 12:12 AM
What if Texas gets antsy and fires Tom Herman? Unlikely but they've done stranger things.

Rutgers is still a possibility for Joe but there's a chance that another midwest/NE team opens up and we can part somewhat amicably.

I'm not sure I'm in love with Napier but it's true that he couldn't be worse that the results we've got thusfar.

HailStateSZN19
11-22-2019, 12:18 AM
What about this name and haven’t seen it posted yet: Justin Fuente? Rumor has it he’s not too happy over at VT and may be looking to get out even though they’re 7-3 this year. Don’t know if that’s factual but there is a rumor on that. Built Memphis into what it is today and handed it over to Norvell to carry on. He’s won at Memphis and aside from 6-7 last year at VT, he’d won 9 in 2017 and 10 in 2016.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 06:50 AM
What about this name and haven’t seen it posted yet: Justin Fuente? Rumor has it he’s not too happy over at VT and may be looking to get out even though they’re 7-3 this year. Don’t know if that’s factual but there is a rumor on that. Built Memphis into what it is today and handed it over to Norvell to carry on. He’s won at Memphis and aside from 6-7 last year at VT, he’d won 9 in 2017 and 10 in 2016.

He's been pretty bad at VT. They're like watching paint dry.

He'll have to go to Saban's quality control school before getting another chance.

Really Clark?
11-22-2019, 08:21 AM
He's been pretty bad at VT. They're like watching paint dry.

He'll have to go to Saban's quality control school before getting another chance.

Bad? Winning 64% of his games at VT is bad? 10, 9, 6 wins the last 3 years and 7-3 right now with Pitt and Virginia left to play. Could end up with 9 wins again this year. His last 2 years at Memphis was 10 & 9 wins. If for some reason VT was to let him go, he would have multiple offers as HC

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 08:28 AM
Bad? Winning 64% of his games at VT is bad? 10, 9, 6 wins the last 3 years and 7-3 right now with Pitt and Virginia left to play. Could end up with 9 wins again this year. His last 2 years at Memphis was 10 & 9 wins. If for some reason VT was to let him go, he would have multiple offers as HC

I mean, you may be right but I've watched them a good bit and they're more stale than a 5 day old hot dog left out.

With any ACC coach right now, it's important to look at their schedule to see who they have beaten. That's the worst power 5 conference known to man right now.

The Orange Bowl has a big problem this year because there may not be a 2nd ACC team in the CFP top 25 for them to take for their bowl game and no one knows there selection rules if there is no ACC team to take.

timotheus
11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
If VT is a 5 day old stale hot dog with 7 current wins, I can only imagine what MSU is with JoMo guru. Please tell us.

Really Clark?
11-22-2019, 08:51 AM
I mean, you may be right but I've watched them a good bit and they're more stale than a 5 day old hot dog left out.

With any ACC coach right now, it's important to look at their schedule to see who they have beaten. That's the worst power 5 conference known to man right now.

The Orange Bowl has a big problem this year because there may not be a 2nd ACC team in the CFP top 25 for them to take for their bowl game and no one knows there selection rules if there is no ACC team to take.

I hear ya but it’s not like he is way off of Beamer’s win percentage at VT. .640 Fuente .662 Beamer. And he has a shot at 9-10 wins this season. I agree their schedule is weak and 2 FCS teams on schedule this year is bad. But all he can do is beat the teams in schedule.

I’m not saying Fuente is great or they playing at an incredibly high level, but bad is severely down playing his career at VT. That’s not a fair statement. And he was considered one of the hottest names in coaching coming out of Memphis...does that give people pause on Norvall?

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 09:13 AM
If VT is a 5 day old stale hot dog with 7 current wins, I can only imagine what MSU is with JoMo guru. Please tell us.

I've made my thoughts on Moorhead known.

RiverCityDawg
11-22-2019, 09:42 AM
I hear ya but it’s not like he is way off of Beamer’s win percentage at VT. .640 Fuente .662 Beamer. And he has a shot at 9-10 wins this season. I agree their schedule is weak and 2 FCS teams on schedule this year is bad. But all he can do is beat the teams in schedule.

I’m not saying Fuente is great or they playing at an incredibly high level, but bad is severely down playing his career at VT. That’s not a fair statement. And he was considered one of the hottest names in coaching coming out of Memphis...does that give people pause on Norvall?

I think we could do A LOT worse than Fuente (we're experiencing it now), but I think what fans may feel like they're getting with him is a known ceiling. It's probably a pretty high floor, but the ceiling is that's he's good, but not great. I think Fuente would be much safer than Napier (for example), but it feels like Napier is rising so fans think maybe we'd be catching something on the way up that could be really great. Again, not that it makes him a better choice, I just think that's why you get "meh" responses on Fuente.

tcdog70
11-22-2019, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't put UNA in the same "suck" category as ULL and AP. They are one of the better DII programs over the past 40 or so years. They made a bad hire between Wallace and Hud that went 20-21 over 4 seasons, but outside of that they've won about 70% of their games since the early 1970s and have multiple Nattys. They even gave us Bobby Wallace - the 1990s version of Hud.

right but they were down(as you pointed out) before Hud.. If not they wouldn't have hired Him. Bobby had them rolling at one time.

remember back when we hired Rick Ray--I was begging for Kermit to come with Pierre. But no--Now after sucking under Ray--The Rebs have one of our own in Kermit and He is doing well. Hud--to me is the same Deal--He is a proven winner, but for some reason not sexy enough for MSU--We had rather slobber all over some up and comer whose body of work is slim. hell most of this board wanted Pruitt or the Hogs Coach. Hud is a known commodity--pretty sure he would be what we need. But I know we will go and sign some Dude and maybe he will win or maybe not--roll the dice.

Walkerhill
11-28-2019, 02:28 PM
right but they were down(as you pointed out) before Hud.. If not they wouldn't have hired Him. Bobby had them rolling at one time.

remember back when we hired Rick Ray--I was begging for Kermit to come with Pierre. But no--Now after sucking under Ray--The Rebs have one of our own in Kermit and He is doing well. Hud--to me is the same Deal--He is a proven winner, but for some reason not sexy enough for MSU--We had rather slobber all over some up and comer whose body of work is slim. hell most of this board wanted Pruitt or the Hogs Coach. Hud is a known commodity--pretty sure he would be what we need. But I know we will go and sign some Dude and maybe he will win or maybe not--roll the dice.

Bump

BeardoMSU
01-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Bump.

Yo Devious, what's on the horizon?