PDA

View Full Version : Writing is on the wall...

Political Hack
11-20-2019, 06:32 PM
... CL ran an article talking about the direction of the program, Bounds is saying he could be gone now, Wyatt is saying the team isn't in shape or tough enough to win the egg bowl, Rosebowl is backtracking on his "100% he'll be back "company line from a week or three back.

State has put out the word that he's not safe. The media is preparing the fan base. Get your popcorn ready.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Encouraged to see that maybe we have an administration that doesn't accept crap

Coursesuper
11-20-2019, 06:38 PM
... CL ran an article talking about the direction of the program, Bounds is saying he could be gone now, Wyatt is saying the team isn't in shape or tough enough to win the egg bowl, Rosebowl is backtracking on his "100% he'll be back "company line from a week or three back.

State has put out the word that he's not safe. The media is preparing the fan base. Get your popcorn ready.

PR 101 isn't it. Laying the ground work.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 06:40 PM
I think it is an easy call if we go 5-7.

To me it gets interesting if joe wins out. Do you fire a guy who takes you to a bowl? Can you do that and go hire a great football coach? Prob not.

Coursesuper
11-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Oooff double post.

Coach34
11-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Exactly. The posturing has begun.

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 06:50 PM
I've told many of you guys when I repped you and also stated in many threads, he has been in over his head since day 1. He lost me after KY last year trying to throw 30 times in the rain against a team we had beaten what?, 9 of the last 10 years. I don't think that when the ball is FINALLY snapped in his genius "offense" that the OL knows whether to run or pass block, the QB does not know what the skill players are doing, and the WR's certainly don't know what pattern to run or whether to attempt to block downfield. His departure date is overdue!

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2019, 06:51 PM

To me it gets interesting if joe wins out. Do you fire a guy who takes you to a bowl? Can you do that and go hire a great football coach? Prob not.

We'll find out what type of leadership we have.

Will they do what's in the best interest of the program or will they just want to be fair?

The staff stinks. Everyone knows that.

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 07:02 PM
I saw my first State game in 1963, at the age of eight. The days are long gone that I have felt that everything is OK if we just beat UM in a crummy season. I have expected much more of our program over the years since Jackie taught us to win again and Mullen took us to a level that seemed surreal when we were #1, ( still hated his annual end of year job search and lost focus). So what if Jo beats AC and UM? Just who of these 6 great victories is our "signature win" this year. I, for one, with 50 years plus as a season ticket holder have not seen a good game under his "leadership" this year. No Mo Jo! Hail state!

AlSwearengen
11-20-2019, 07:50 PM
Sorry for Moorehead, seems like a decent person. That said, you could see it from the first game last year. Say what you will about Mullen but he fielded disciplined, tough teams and he didn’t put up with any dumbass boneheaded actions from coaches or players.

I hoped we could get on track but with time but we have gotten worse. An egg bowl victory means zilch, nada, nothing. If we win the egg and still pull the trigger, I’ll feel better about being MSU.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2019, 07:57 PM
If so we better have the replacement already on board. As I said, I think it's dangerous. As I also said, I'm on the fence so it won't bother me too much either way so long as it's not Rick Ray 2.0. . Losing to Ole Miss will bother me.

basedog
11-20-2019, 08:17 PM
If so we better have the replacement already on board. As I said, I think it's dangerous. As I also said, I'm on the fence so it won't bother me too much either way so long as it's not Rick Ray 2.0. . Losing to Ole Miss will bother me.

I don't think we have a Coach lined up yet. I do think we have had discussions with agents.

Regardless how "giddy" some are on certain coaches mentioned, it's a gamble but one we have to take.

The thought of losing to TSUN at home is bothersome. I will Be there with 5 others.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 08:26 PM
You cannot fire a 6-6 coach at a program like ours (bottom half of sec, at best) without having a new coach signed, sealed, and delivered. Cannot do it.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2019, 08:41 PM
You cannot fire a 6-6 coach at a program like ours (bottom half of sec, at best) without having a new coach signed, sealed, and delivered. Cannot do it.

Exactly.

bobtail bob
11-20-2019, 08:46 PM
I would feel better about the egg bowl if he wasn?t coaching in it .
Do already have our man ? Surely Cohen is not counting his chickens again like the baseball coaching situation.

OLJWales
11-20-2019, 08:55 PM

Prob so.

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Tell me again. If we do hit 6-6, which one of these victories did you enjoy the best on how the team looked. Who wants to stay in the bottom half of the SEC. Wow, 3-5 in the SEC. If Jo stays, we will be at the very bottom of that half next year and he will still be saying we will fix it. Just like he is gonna fix our 82 yards passing in game 11 against AC.

confucius say
11-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Tell me again. If we do hit 6-6, which one of these victories did you enjoy the best on how the team looked. Who wants to stay in the bottom half of the SEC. Wow, 3-5 in the SEC. If Jo stays, we will be at the very bottom of that half next year and he will still be saying we will fix it. Just like he is gonna fix our 82 yards passing in game 11 against AC.

All of this can be true and we can still look stupid firing a coach who takes us to two bowl games in two years without having a coach lined up if we hire Rick Ray. That was the mistake we made with Stans: not getting rid of him, but getting rid of him without a next move ready to go.

Coach34
11-20-2019, 09:10 PM

If we make the move- We have already done that. JoVester is our Rick Ray

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 09:13 PM
All of this can be true and we can still look stupid firing a coach who takes us to two bowl games in two years without having a coach lined up if we hire Rick Ray. That was the mistake we made with Stans: not getting rid of him, but getting rid of him without a next move ready to go.

Heck, Jo is a football version of Rick Ray. We have already done that. The only people I know that want us to keep him is UM fans I put up with at work. It's one of 14 SEC. big boy football jobs with a big time $alary. I'm 64 and have seen a lot of MSU coaches. He does not fit us or the SEC. There is a good HC out there ready for the job and the challenge. We are not poor little MSU anymore. Hail State!

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 09:14 PM

PS: Winning 6 with our schedule this year and going to one of about 100 bowls is not that big a deal anymore.

Political Hack
11-20-2019, 09:15 PM
If we make the move- We have already done that. JoVester is our Rick Ray

I think so too. Ultimately I think that's what it comes down to. Can Cohen find a guy he has more confidence in to build the program going forward? I think there are plenty of guys out there right now that would fit that bill...

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Heck, Jo is a football version of Rick Ray. We have already done that. The only people I know that want us to keep him is UM fans I put up with at work. It's one of 14 SEC. big boy football jobs with a big time $alary. I'm 64 and have seen a lot of MSU coaches. He does not fit us or the SEC. There is a good HC out there ready for the job and the challenge. We are not poor little MSU anymore. Hail State!

Rick Ray never had a winning record.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Rick Ray didn't come into MSU with Stans' 2004 team waiting for him either.

CoachT14
11-20-2019, 09:22 PM

Slomo only has a winning record by default. So don't try going to use that straw man.

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Keep Jo and he will have a losing record in another year and the team will regress even more. Man, we have some low expectations all of a sudden. This is no longer the MSU of 6-6 or worse is fine long as we beat Ole Miss.

Coach34
11-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Rick Ray didn't have Dampier, Super D, Bullard, Big Country, and Greg Carter waiting for him to coach in his 1st season also. JoVester walked into that

confucius say
11-20-2019, 10:53 PM
PS: Winning 6 with our schedule this year and going to one of about 100 bowls is not that big a deal anymore.

Our schedule? Weve played the toughest schedule in the country by one service and top 5 by every service.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fbschedules.com/college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-week-12-2019/amp/

Homedawg
11-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Our schedule? Weve played the toughest schedule in the country by one service and top 5 by every service.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fbschedules.com/college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-week-12-2019/amp/

Correct bama LSU auburn A&M only us ark and ole miss have to do that... . Then we managed to gag uT and lose to KSU at home and yeah yeah I know they beat Ou. That's not a good team, the big 12 sucks. They tried to give it to us and we still lost

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 11:26 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fbschedules.com/college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-week-12-201enimp/

That's an overall rating. So you are ok with us losing to that powerhouse TN at the time of the game and our "genius coach" having two weeks to prepare for that game. How about our home loss to KSU that recruits players ranked so much higher than us?*** bama and LSU better be glad they don't have ACU this Sat. Hey and I guess you have no hope that we can or should beat that 4-7 UM. These are 4 games we should not have lost or lose and that gives us a predicted 8-4 record. If you you lived it, guess you were ok with Tech and 10. Talk about low expectations and making overall strength of schedule be an excuse. If we win the next two and go 6-6, what's our signature victory over this bunch of tough teams*? Hail State and at 6-6 we are the best of a bunch of weak sisters and looked worse and worse beating these "heavy weights" under Jo who has been a fish out of water since KY last year!

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 11:59 PM
We'll find out what type of leadership we have.

Will they do what's in the best interest of the program or will they just want to be fair?

The staff stinks. Everyone knows that.

While I think our AD staff is lazy in general and Cohen has no clue about anything other than baseball and may be taken advantage of by the current staff....I think they still want to win.

If we're talking about fair- what Joe has put out on the football field and off has been unfair to the MSU family. Don't roll up to a 6-6 Tennessee team while looking unprepared and then bring up that your daughter was crying because some fan in the stands yelled that you suck. It's also unfair to the football players to have this kind of leadership and preparation for gamedays.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 12:02 AM
That's an overall rating. So you are ok with us losing to that powerhouse TN at the time of the game and our "genius coach" having two weeks to prepare for that game. How about our home loss to KSU that recruits players ranked so much higher than us?*** bama and LSU better be glad they don't have ACU this Sat. Hey and I guess you have no hope that we can or should beat that 4-7 UM. These are 4 games we should not have lost or lose and that gives us a predicted 8-4 record. If you you lived it, guess you were ok with Tech and 10. Talk about low expectations and making overall strength of schedule be an excuse. If we win the next two and go 6-6, what's our signature victory over this bunch of tough teams*? Hail State and at 6-6 we are the best of a bunch of weak sisters and looked worse and worse beating these "heavy weights" under Jo who has been a fish out of water since KY last year!

Here's reality:

Yeah- we do play a tough schedule. And no it doesn't excuse losing to Tennessee or K-State. Or being blown out multiple times.

But I also think that the fact that we have that kind of schedule and still have a chance to go 6-6 with everything that is going on is pretty encouraging.

Goldendawg
11-21-2019, 12:11 AM
They were by no means 6-6, but your point is correct. I know it was hot when my son and I were at the KSU game trying to give away 6 very good Section 4 tickets to State fans without, but I was totally shocked and disgusted that they were going for $5 outside DWS. I think Jo took a few tips from Croom's book on coaching at MSU. Burn everything to the ground, even some good you inherited, ( alot in Jo's case) and be as stubborn and full of bull with coach-speak as you can. Examples from Jo: Before the bama game, "our offense has averaged 42 ppg the last two games, ( yeah garbage time in the last loss and a win against Arky), and never forget after an 82 yard offensive passing explosion against bama. We will fix that this week. Well, my hopes were not very high as it is game 11 Sat. He will think we faced a top 4 team if we move the ball against AC. Championship Standards, shelf space for Heismans, ring sizes. Bet he interviewed well with the IB. What a under achieving joke!

Goldendawg
11-21-2019, 12:16 AM
Here's reality:

Yeah- we do play a tough schedule. And no it doesn't excuse losing to Tennessee or K-State. Or being blown out multiple times.

But I also think that the fact that we have that kind of schedule and still have a chance to go 6-6 with everything that is going on is pretty encouraging.

And who of that still not achieved 6 wins is a good team? I'm soon to be 65 and we beat that 6, and one of them was Ole Miss is no longer acceptable. BTW, there were not many style points in some of these yet to be achieved 6 wins. Bar sure got low in a hurry this year and last. Hail State!

msugolf
11-21-2019, 12:31 AM

It sounds like you are more worried about what other people think and you hate change out of fear. Cause I know there isn't anyone dumb enough that can think he has this thing headed in the right direction.

So you'd be willing to risk falling further down this hell hole (Arkansas) out of fear of making a bad hire, which we already have done? That's paralysis by analysis if I've ever seen it.

Or else you think SloMo is the man for the job. I'd love to hear you try and sell me on that.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 01:05 AM
And who of that still not achieved 6 wins is a good team? I'm soon to be 65 and we beat that 6, and one of them was Ole Miss is no longer acceptable. BTW, there were not many style points in some of these yet to be achieved 6 wins. Bar sure got low in a hurry this year and last. Hail State!

I'm not sure what you are asking. My opinion is we are a good team that is probably an 8 win caliber team that has been coached down to six wins.

If you're talking about our schedule:

ULL- Might win the Sun Belt and probably wins at least 10 games with losses to us and Appalachain State. Heck- a lot of us want their coach.
USM- 7-3 with losses to MSU and Alabama and La Tech who is first in their division in C-USA. USM could win a co-championship in their division with La Tech and is probably an 8 win team at worst.
Kentucky- Pretty much a lock to go 6-6 at worst and their coach is a candidate for the FSU job.
K-State- 6-4 with losses to Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, and West Virginia and have a very nice win over Oklahoma. Have a first year coach and I think they win at least seven games this year.
Auburn- An 8 win team at worst and they may pull 9 with Tua out.
Tennessee- Almost a lock for 6 wins at worst and could pull 7 if they beat Mizzou.
LSU- Undefeated and could win the SEC and National Title.
Texas A&M- I think they end up 7-5 with a meat grinder of a schedule meaning they're probably better than their record- had to play Clemson, LSU, Georgia, and Alabama.
Arkansas- LOL. 2-8 and we blew them out.
Alabama- One loss team that may end up in the playoffs. No worse than 10-2 because their QB is out. Still have a chance at 11-1.
Abeline Christian- FCS team
Ole Miss- 4-7 at the moment.

That's a very difficult schedule any way you cut it.

Coach34
11-21-2019, 05:04 AM
We are always going to have a tough schedule. We play in the SEC West.

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Rick Ray didn't have Dampier, Super D, Bullard, Big Country, and Greg Carter waiting for him to coach in his 1st season also. JoVester walked into that

People play both ways in basketball.

Coursesuper
11-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Dude, really.

Coach34
11-21-2019, 09:51 AM

not seeing the problem? JoVester also inherited the SEC’s all-time leading rusher at QB, a one thousand yard rusher in Williams along with a probable NFL talent in Hill. 2 linemen that are now in the NFL- one considered to be the top rookie OL guy. Plus he will have another drafted this year- so that’s 3 NFL linemen of the 5 he started last year. Then add Green plus the WR’s.

8 returning offensive starters from an offense that was ranked 41st in the country in 2017. Yeah- poor JoVester

bluelightstar
11-21-2019, 09:55 AM
We averaged FOUR points per game in our SEC losses last year. It was pretty clear from that to me that Moorhead would fail.

Offshore Dawg
11-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Encouraged to see that maybe we have an administration that doesn't accept crap

But will they make the right New hire. Time will tell.

Really Clark?
11-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Wut? Your off the reservation now. You keep bringing up the RR analogy.

Ari Gold
11-21-2019, 09:59 AM
I said it weeks ago
JC gets a mulligan if he fires him after the season. Everyone was wrong on the guy.. The cant fire a guy this quick excuse wont be used against us... BUT if you wait one or 2 more years and if he doesnt fix the issues ( and there are a lot of issues) then it?s all on Cohen.

And with the short list of coaches, if you are the AD at MSU you ALWAYS every year have a short list of coaches and are always proactive with them... no matter who the coach is here or his record...

tcdog70
11-21-2019, 10:02 AM
not seeing the problem? JoVester also inherited the SEC?s all-time leading rusher at QB, a one thousand yard rusher in Williams along with a probable NFL talent in Hill. 2 linemen that are now in the NFL- one considered to be the top rookie OL guy. Plus he will have another drafted this year- so that?s 3 NFL linemen of the 5 he started last year. Then add Green plus the WR?s.

8 returning offensive starters from an offense that was ranked 41st in the country in 2017. Yeah- poor JoVester

Here is a question for you? last year with A-train and Hill both SEC talent. And our WRs sunbelt talent. Why would you not remove the slot Guy and replace Him with Hill and Have A-train and Fitz in the backfield. Then we have 3 really good playmakers on offense. i believe I could come up a good game plan revolving around those 3. with 3 NFL talented OL.

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 10:02 AM
We averaged FOUR points per game in our SEC losses last year. It was pretty clear from that to me that Moorhead would fail.

Nah man ... according to Liverpool we sucked on offense and had no talent. Even tho the year before with almost exact same team we had 3 SEC losses to much, much stronger teams and defenses (not counting OM due to Fitz ankle injury) and averaged 11 pts/game in those. We didn't lose to KY, a down FL team at home, substandard LSU and Bama teams. But ... Liverpool intellectual like Moorhead and knows all. ETA: I think the intellectual part is why Liverpool likes him so much. They relate well to each other.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Here is a question for you? last year with A-train and Hill both SEC talent. And our WRs sunbelt talent. Why would you not remove the slot Guy and replace Him with Hill and Have A-train and Fitz in the backfield. Then we have 3 really good playmakers on offense. i believe I could come up a good game plan revolving around those 3. with 3 NFL talented OL.

The biggest flaw in Joe’s offense is using the same personnel groups 85% of the time or more. You can’t maximize talent that way. See Malik Dear this year too.

Goldendawg
11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking. My opinion is we are a good team that is probably an 8 win caliber team that has been coached down to six wins.

If you're talking about our schedule:

ULL- Might win the Sun Belt and probably wins at least 10 games with losses to us and Appalachain State. Heck- a lot of us want their coach.
USM- 7-3 with losses to MSU and Alabama and La Tech who is first in their division in C-USA. USM could win a co-championship in their division with La Tech and is probably an 8 win team at worst.
Kentucky- Pretty much a lock to go 6-6 at worst and their coach is a candidate for the FSU job.
K-State- 6-4 with losses to Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, and West Virginia and have a very nice win over Oklahoma. Have a first year coach and I think they win at least seven games this year.
Auburn- An 8 win team at worst and they may pull 9 with Tua out.
Tennessee- Almost a lock for 6 wins at worst and could pull 7 if they beat Mizzou.
LSU- Undefeated and could win the SEC and National Title.
Texas A&M- I think they end up 7-5 with a meat grinder of a schedule meaning they're probably better than their record- had to play Clemson, LSU, Georgia, and Alabama.
Arkansas- LOL. 2-8 and we blew them out.
Alabama- One loss team that may end up in the playoffs. No worse than 10-2 because their QB is out. Still have a chance at 11-1.
Abeline Christian- FCS team
Ole Miss- 4-7 at the moment.

That's a very difficult schedule any way you cut it.

Todd, what I meant was that no way we should be fighting for six wins this year. Agree with you that with an SEC caliber coach we should have gotten 8 with our team and schedule. I also feel that we have passed the days of any amount of losses is ok as long as we beat UM. We may not even get 6 with No Mo Jo this year. I have been to all home games this year and watched the road games on the tube. I have not felt excited at any game attended or watched since KY last year. He has got to go after the EGG, win or lose!

dawgs
11-21-2019, 11:33 PM

Moorhead is Rick ray 2.0. The only difference is he inherited a program in better shape than what stans left ray, so the bottoming out is taking a little longer while we purge out the guys that remember what it was like to have a good HC.

Todd4State
11-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Todd, what I meant was that no way we should be fighting for six wins this year. Agree with you that with an SEC caliber coach we should have gotten 8 with our team and schedule. I also feel that we have passed the days of any amount of losses is ok as long as we beat UM. We may not even get 6 with No Mo Jo this year. I have been to all home games this year and watched the road games on the tube. I have not felt excited at any game attended or watched since KY last year. He has got to go after the EGG, win or lose!

I agree. This should be an 8 win team. And last year should have been 10. If not more.

ShotgunDawg
11-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Moorhead is Rick ray 2.0. The only difference is he inherited a program in better shape than what stans left ray, so the bottoming out is taking a little longer while we purge out the guys that remember what it was like to have a good HC.

Correct. He's a 4-8 caliber coach that Peter Principled his way into a better job than that.