PDA

View Full Version : Remember when....(volume 2)

CadaverDawg
11-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Remember when our recruiting experts told us Plumlee wasn't a QB and Ealy would never take a snap in college? Remember that when receiving your recruiting info this year about the players we are missing on...and remember it as those two run for 400 yards on us next week.

By the way, If Plumlee was at Auburn this year they'd be in National Title hunt.

msstate7
11-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Damn shame om seems to be copying our path to success (run first, physical) while we wanna copy their path to mediocrity (downfield explosive passing, finesse)

BeardoMSU
11-20-2019, 09:57 AM
I definitely remember all the Ealy talk, that was frustrating...

...but Plumlee still isn't a QB, regardless how many yards he runs for against us, lol. There is a reason everyone outside of OM and a few non-SEC schools were recruiting him as a DB/WR. That being said, I still expect him to look like a combination of Aaron Rogers and Jesus against our defense...

CadaverDawg
11-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Damn shame om seems to be copying our path to success (run first, physical) while we wanna copy their path to mediocrity (downfield explosive passing, finesse)

Yep

CadaverDawg
11-20-2019, 10:02 AM

...but Plumlee still isn't a QB, regardless how many yards he runs for against us, lol. There is a reason everyone outside of OM and a few non-SEC schools were recruiting him as a DB/WR. That being said, I still expect him to look like a combination of Aaron Rogers and Jesus against our defense...

Doesn't matter if he's an "NFL QB"....he's a damn good college QB. Tebow wasn't a good NFL QB either....still won the Heisman and Titles in college. Would Ole Miss fans call Chris Relf and Fitzgerald "not QB's"?

msstate7
11-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Doesn't matter if he's an "NFL QB"....he's a damn good college QB. Tebow wasn't a good NFL QB either....still won the Heisman and Titles in college. Would Ole Miss fans call Chris Relf and Fitzgerald "not QB's"?

Well MSU fans blamed Moorhead's trash offense last year on fitz, so maybe. It's another damn shame we trashed one of our best players ever to prop joe's circus show up.

MadDawg
11-20-2019, 10:05 AM
I can promise you this, if Plumlee was our QB, our fans would hate him. Well, at least the message board fans.

BeardoMSU
11-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Would Ole Miss fans call Chris Relf and Fitzgerald "not QB's"?

Fair point with these comparisons. I wasn't referring to being an "NFL QB", I just don't think he can throw. He is a terrible passer. Fitz threw for over 2500 yards one season, didn't he (pretty sure, but not certain)? All I've seen from Plumlee is him running essentially a wild-cat offense.

BeardoMSU
11-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Well MSU fans blamed Moorhead's trash offense last year on fitz, so maybe. It's another damn shame we trashed one of our best players ever to prop joe's circus show up.

You're absolutely correct here, and I regret to have been a part of it. I was a dipshit.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Don't understand people thinking to be an exceptional college QB means throwing like Tua, Burrow, Lawrence. While most can't throw it as accurate as they can, they wouldn't look like that without those WRs.

Dynamic runners like Fitz with a complimentary back like Aeris and a road grading Oline like we had last year, can devastate most any team and can open up the passing game with the run game.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:12 AM

I feel for that kid ... he didn't deserve that shit. He was a damn warrior for us. 2nd best ever QB we've had and may have jumped to 1st in overall body of work with the right coach last year.

ETA: Aeris got a big time shaft last year too. Feel for that kid also.

KOdawg1
11-20-2019, 10:14 AM
I also owe Fitz an apology. That dude sacrificed a lot for MSU and doesnt get the respect he deserves

TrapGame
11-20-2019, 10:14 AM
I had a MLB scout tell me Ealy was gone. He makes his money knowing these things. So, I don't what ole miss pulled to keep him but they must have cut Luke's salary to do it.

msudawglb
11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
By the way, If Plumlee was at Auburn this year they'd be in National Title hunt.

That's a silly statement. Auburn has the fastest guy in the SEC (Schwartz) on their team and Malzahn still doesn't know how to properly use him.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:33 AM
That's a silly statement. Auburn has the fastest guy in the SEC (Schwartz) on their team and Malzahn still doesn't know how to properly use him.

Imagine the 2 fastest guys in the SEC ... although Plumlee may be 3 or 4th overall.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
You're absolutely correct here, and I regret to have been a part of it. I was a dipshit.

+1 for Me. I bought Joe's bullshit. It took me a while but my maroon blinders finally came off.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Don't understand people thinking to be an exceptional college QB means throwing like Tua, Burrow, Lawrence. While most can't throw it as accurate as they can, they wouldn't look like that without those WRs.

Dynamic runners like Fitz with a complimentary back like Aeris and a road grading Oline like we had last year, can devastate most any team and can open up the passing game with the run game.

Paul Johnson at GA Tech won a lot of games doing that including the Orange Bowl against one of MSU's best ever teams.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 10:38 AM
I feel for that kid ... he didn't deserve that shit. He was a damn warrior for us. 2nd best ever QB we've had and may have jumped to 1st in overall body of work with the right coach last year.

ETA: Aeris got a big time shaft last year too. Feel for that kid also.

He was shafted by the coaches rather than the fans on message boards. It was probably worse for him because Joe probably cost him getting drafted. It would have probably been 6-7th round but he might have gotten a better shot.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:43 AM
He was shafted by the coaches rather than the fans on message boards. It was probably worse for him because Joe probably cost him getting drafted. It would have probably been 6-7th round but he might have gotten a better shot.

Yep .. the coaching staff shafted him. He had been a warrior for us too. I'm not sure Joe watched a single game of our team from the previous year (2017). I think he had "clean" slate in mind to that extent.

The fan base was enamored with Hill, while I became furious every time he performed one of his "Ole'" blocks that got Fitz hammered about 1.5 secs or less into his drop. And most every one of Hill's blocks was an "Ole'" block.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Yep .. the coaching staff shafted him. He had been a warrior for us too. I'm not sure Joe watched a single game of our team from the previous year (2017). I think he had "clean" slate in mind to that extent.

The fan base was enamored with Hill, while I became furious every time he performed one of his "Ole'" blocks that got Fitz hammered about 1.5 secs or less into his drop. And most every one of Hill's blocks was an "Ole'" block.

It probably affected Fitz's passing even when he didn't get blitzed. Kind of like what happened to Fant.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:58 AM
It probably affected Fitz's passing even when he didn't get blitzed. Kind of like what happened to Fant.

As a QB, it's hard not to let it affect the clock inside your head knowing there is a very high probability that a 230/240 lb backer is fixing to put their helmet squarely between your shoulder blades while running at close to full speed. So you gotta get rid of the ball very quickly to keep from losing yardage.

And team chemistry is affected seeing the most deserving player not start too. Team chemistry is really affected by crap like that. The whole team can see what's happening every Sunday in the film room. They know.

Coursesuper
11-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Remember when our recruiting experts told us Plumlee wasn't a QB and Ealy would never take a snap in college? Remember that when receiving your recruiting info this year about the players we are missing on...and remember it as those two run for 400 yards on us next week.

Moral of the story: Learn how to decipher the fan media BS, understand what they are used for.

tcdog70
11-20-2019, 11:04 AM
and don't forget that Fitz came off a terrible injury. What also is missed is how many times did you ever see Fitz fumble? In three years maybe you count them on 1 hand. Like I said and was blasted for saying it--Fitz would have completed 60% of his passes last year if our wideouts caught 1/3 of their drops. I was pissed last year when all the blame was on Fitz. because when He was a Soph with good receivers he led the SEC in total offense--did he just forget how to play? hell-no he had no SEC wrs. remember Fitz and Relf were the best Rebel killers of all-time.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:09 AM
and don't forget that Fitz came off a terrible injury. What also is missed is how many times did you ever see Fitz fumble? In three years maybe you count them on 1 hand. Like I said and was blasted for saying it--Fitz would have completed 60% of his passes last year if our wideouts caught 1/3 of their drops. I was pissed last year when all the blame was on Fitz. because when He was a Soph with good receivers he led the SEC in total offense--did he just forget how to play? hell-no he had no SEC wrs. remember Fitz and Relf were the best Rebel killers of all-time.

Bingo.

Fitz made some beautiful throws too as a Soph to Ross, and damn if Ross didn't drop a bunch too, but he also caught a bunch. That's where the "uncatchable" ball came from during his soph year. If it hits an SEC WR in the hands past the LOS by 10 yds or more, I don't care if the velocity is 150 mph ... they should catch it. Maybe the QB should adjust his touch but while Fitz had a rocket for an arm, in almost every instance he wasn't throwing it too hard to catch.

bluelightstar
11-20-2019, 11:10 AM
As a QB, it's hard not to let it affect the clock inside your head knowing there is a very high probability that a 230/240 lb backer is fixing to put their helmet squarely between your shoulder blades while running at close to full speed. So you gotta get rid of the ball very quickly to keep from losing yardage.

And team chemistry is affected seeing the most deserving player not start too. Team chemistry is really affected by crap like that. The whole team can see what's happening every Sunday in the film room. They know.

Sounds like Moorhead has made a lot of personnel decisions that affect team chemistry.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Fitz has been my guy since he ran all over my Glynn Academy Red Terrors in 2013. And there were a whole lot of times on this board when I was the only one defending him against all kinds of stupid attacks (especially in 2016)

What I did fall victim to was believing that his limitations as a QB were an issue, not the system. I bought in on Stevens and Shrader being the answer. It now should be apparent to everyone that the problem is the system and the coach.
Was Nick Fitzgerald the perfect prototype QB? No. Was he a damn good field general who gave everything he had to win? Hell yeah.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Sounds like Moorhead has made a lot of personnel decisions that affect team chemistry.

Don't get me started on Guidry. What a freakin waste that is.

Or how it took a full year for D. Thomas to start like he should've been from day 1.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2019, 11:16 AM
I had a MLB scout tell me Ealy was gone. He makes his money knowing these things. So, I don't what ole miss pulled to keep him but they must have cut Luke's salary to do it.

Yeah I had multiple scouts AND his family tell me he was taking the money to play mlb. Somebody broke out a checkbook somewhere to get him. There are no absolutes in recruiting. I've had 6 of my former players sign to play college baseball this month and 2 of them signed wth different schools than what they told me and I've known these kids for years. It's always fluid and especially in football in basketball where the money flows lol.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Fitz has been my guy since he ran all over my Glynn Academy Red Terrors in 2013. And there were a whole lot of times on this board when I was the only one defending him against all kinds of stupid attacks (especially in 2016)

Not the only one. You, me, 7, and C34 never left the Fitz train. May have been one or 2 others too.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2019, 11:18 AM

What I did fall victim to was believing that his limitations as a QB were an issue, not the system. I bought in on Stevens and Shrader being the answer. It now should be apparent to everyone that the problem is the system and the coach.
Was Nick Fitzgerald the perfect prototype QB? No. Was he a damn good field general who gave everything he had to win? Hell yeah.

Very well said! Nick was a competitor and a baller and left everything he had on the field. His heart can never be questioned.!

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:26 AM

Redoing this again cause I read your whole post this time. I felt in 2016 Fitz was a more talented thrower (yes thrower) than Dak at a younger age. Dak's work ethic has gotten him to where he is. Fitz could make the up and over throws. Sometimes he airmailed it on wide open deep routes but that is overthinking the throw more than anything else. Otherwise he was pretty accurate ... had a lot of drops. Maybe not 67% accurate but around 60 or slightly better IMO.

I never bought into Tommy being better cause I knew that would take some doing. Any QB gonna struggle when under pressure 1.5 secs into their drop. Even Tua ... and you saw that last year when he played us. And he has Bama's Oline and 3 1st round WRs to throw to.

But I saw fear in Tommy's eyes against USM and TN too. I will give him credit that he has played tougher these last 2 games ... which has surprised me a good bit. But his stats ain't that good as a passer except against Arky.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Not the only one. You, me, 7, and C34 never left the Fitz train. May have been one or 2 others too.

Yeah - it felt like being the only one sometimes- but you are right about the hand full of us who kept the faith.

The thing that always amazed me is how critical people were of his supposed "lack of work". He may not have become the work machine Dak was, but there is no way you could ever convince me that a kid who had thrown 70 passes in high school became a 3 year SEC starter without working his ass off. I don't care if he liked to party. I liked to party in Starkville when I was 20. John Bond is an MSU legend for partying like Burt Reynolds, and folks, Dak liked to party too.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Yeah - it felt like being the only one sometimes- but you are right about the hand full of us who kept the faith.

The thing that always amazed me is how critical people were of his supposed "lack of work". He may not have become the work machine Dak was, but there is no way you could ever convince me that a kid who had thrown 70 passes in high school became a 3 year SEC starter without working his ass off. I don't care if he liked to party. I liked to party in Starkville when I was 20. John Bond is an MSU legend for partying like Burt Reynolds, and folks, Dak liked to party too.

I agree on he had to work his tail off ... so what if he partied some too. I think a lot of the criticism from folks on the partying part is envy ... when you a QB and can get any babe you want ... some guys just hate that.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:34 AM

I agree on he had to work his tail off ... so what if he partied some too. I think a lot of the criticism from folks on the partying part is envy ... when you a QB and can get any babe you want ... some guys just hate that.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Another thing to add. I never believed any of that "doesn't throw a catchable ball" bs. If you're an sec receiver you better dang we'll be able to catch a ball that hits you in the hands! We led the sec in drops and that sure as heck ain't on Fitz. Kid earned my respect and everyone should respect and appreciate what he did for us.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 12:45 PM

They definitely called Dak a TE.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Say what you will about Fitz. It wasn’t the partying that bothered me. It was the fact that he got suspended before game one his senior year and then he would call out fans on Twitter after a win. I didn’t like that at all and it said a lot about him.

DeltaChicagoDog
11-20-2019, 01:22 PM
"I feel for that kid ... he didn't deserve that shit. He was a damn warrior for us. 2nd best ever QB we've had and may have jumped to 1st in overall body of work with the right coach last year.

ETA: Aeris got a big time shaft last year too. Feel for that kid also."

These young men put it all on the line for their future and for our school. Regardless of what one thinks of the coach and his miserable offensive coaching, the players deserve our support.

Doggie_Style
11-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Say what you will about Fitz. It wasn?t the partying that bothered me. It was the fact that he got suspended before game one his senior year and then he would call out fans on Twitter after a win. I didn?t like that at all and it said a lot about him.

Yea and we are still waiting on the mohawk ***

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Say what you will about Fitz. It wasn?t the partying that bothered me. It was the fact that he got suspended before game one his senior year and then he would call out fans on Twitter after a win. I didn?t like that at all and it said a lot about him.

It's also not the first time or that last time that a team leader made a mistake. Boobie Dixon had it happen. I'm sure we can think of plenty of others.
Social media is what it is. It's made things a totally different world when it comes to how players and fans interact. You take the good with the bad. But, our fan base is just as culpable in the "mad on twitter" world - the stuff people post about players after mistakes makes our game threads look like sunday school. Our fans still attack him on twitter:

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 01:44 PM
It's also not the first time or that last time that a team leader made a mistake. Boobie Dixon had it happen. I'm sure we can think of plenty of others.
Social media is what it is. It's made things a totally different world when it comes to how players and fans interact. You take the good with the bad. But, our fan base is just as culpable in the "mad on twitter" world - the stuff people post about players after mistakes makes our game threads look like sunday school. Our fans still attack him on twitter:

There’s a difference between making a mistake and learning from it and making the same mistake over and over and over again.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
There’s a difference between making a mistake and learning from it and making the same mistake over and over and over again.

Enlighten me. Fitz got suspended for other games? Or are you referencing twitter? Because if you are hung up on the twitter stuff, it's ridiculous. Personally, if I were an athlete I wouldn't be on social media because it is a cesspool of negativity and it is easy to get caught up in it. But, most people under 25 don't see it that way, and don't see Nick calling out "the haters" after successes as being a bad thing. To them, it's essentially seen just like smack talk on the field. It also seems to be something of a double standard - we talk a good bit on this board (just over the past couple of weeks) about former players calling out Joe, the culture of the team, etc; we celebrate guys like Fred Smoot and his legendary smack talk, and how he "tells it like it is" today on radio and in tweets - but current athletes are supposed to be mum? I never saw the kid post anything that was derogatory about the team, his teammates, or coaches. So saying "fans doubted - we showed them!" in some form or fashion is some sin that can't be forgiven? To me, people getting upset about stuff like that are just looking for things to be critical about.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Enlighten me. Fitz got suspended for other games? Or are you referencing twitter? Because if you are hung up on the twitter stuff, it's ridiculous. Personally, if I were an athlete I wouldn't be on social media because it is a cesspool of negativity and it is easy to get caught up in it. But, most people under 25 don't see it that way, and don't see Nick calling out "the haters" after successes as being a bad thing. To them, it's essentially seen just like smack talk on the field. It also seems to be something of a double standard - we talk a good bit on this board (just over the past couple of weeks) about former players calling out Joe, the culture of the team, etc; we celebrate guys like Fred Smoot and his legendary smack talk, and how he "tells it like it is" today on radio and in tweets - but current athletes are supposed to be mum? I never saw the kid post anything that was derogatory about the team, his teammates, or coaches. So saying "fans doubted - we showed them!" in some form or fashion is some sin that can't be forgiven? To me, people getting upset about stuff like that are just looking for things to be critical about.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Gotta spread some rep tho.

Captain Falcon
11-20-2019, 02:27 PM
The amount of flack Fitz got for not getting a Mohawk tells you all you need to know about him. Yes, our coaches are who ruined his senior year, but many of our fans were still terrible to him on social media.

Bothrops
11-20-2019, 02:27 PM
If we had signed Ealy, he'd probably be with a baseball farm team right now.

QuadrupleOption
11-20-2019, 03:10 PM

I defended Fitz quite often after last season. Our WR production has GOT to get better before any offense we run is going to be worth a damn.

Dawgology
11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Plumlee is Fitzgerald 2.0 and he will own our ass for the next four years.

Coach34
11-20-2019, 05:46 PM

This may be the best post you have ever made on here

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 11:28 PM

The difference is social media is a place where individuals have lost their job for "smack talk". Even football players. Ask Jermaine Whitehead formerly of the Cleveland Browns. Football players can get away with smack talk on the field to each other- but fair or not social media is a different forum with different rules than "on the field." Social media isn't "just part of the game"- Just like baseball players can throw baseballs at each other and then kick each other's ass on the field and I can't kick someone's ass in the real world for doing something to me without going to jail. And I don't recall Fred Smoot going out and smack talking one of our fans in any forum.

And sorry- it's a real bad look when you are a known partier, spend a weekend in Athens, Georgia....and then come out and play like shit. Only to call fans out for being upset about that the next week after a team win. I don't care if players party or do whatever- but it becomes an issue when they party and don't perform on the field...and then act like a complete ass on top of it.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:32 PM
The difference is social media is a place where individuals have lost their job for "smack talk". Even football players. Ask Jermaine Whitehead formerly of the Cleveland Browns. Football players can get away with smack talk on the field to each other- but fair or not social media is a different forum with different rules than "on the field." Social media isn't "just part of the game"- Just like baseball players can throw baseballs at each other and then kick each other's ass on the field and I can't kick someone's ass in the real world for doing something to me without going to jail. And I don't recall Fred Smoot going out and smack talking one of our fans in any forum.

And sorry- it's a real bad look when you are a known partier, spend a weekend in Athens, Georgia....and then come out and play like shit. Only to call fans out for being upset about that the next week after a team win. I don't care if players party or do whatever- but it becomes an issue when they party and don't perform on the field...and then act like a complete ass on top of it.

Which game was that where he partied then played like shit?

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Which game was that where he partied then played like shit?

LSU.

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 07:45 AM
LSU.

Ok ... I'll buy that. That was the only game in his career that I got pissed at Fitz and thought the loss was on his shoulders. His reads were terrible that day and nothing else he did was that great either.

Lord McBuckethead
11-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Yeah, JeRodgers is going to piss me off around 28-0.

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Holy shit. Drawing some sort of comparison to what Whitehead did and Fitz did is completely disingenuous. Whitehead went on a profanity laced tirade and made a death threat. Fitz essentially said "thanks haters". The fact that you placed them even remotely in the same category shows how absolutely out of touch you are on this.

And Fitz went to Athens on an off weekend. So flipping what? The entire team bugs out on off weekends, and has for years. It has absolutely no impact on their game on the field. None. They aren't missing practice, they aren't missing prep time. There is no correlation to him playing like shit a WEEK later. And yeah, he threw 4 picks and threw like crap - along with the entire offense looking like crap (well, except Fitz running for 131 which everyone seems to ignore because of the 4 picks). Now - where I would have an issue with the partying, etc. is if he were out all night on Friday night in BR pre-game. That impacts the game. And it wouldn't surprise me that that was going on seeing the way things seem to run right now. But, even then, I wouldn't be shocked 1 bit. If you ever spent any time outside your dorm in college, you know that the athletes are closing down the bars all the time (even nights before games). But, hey, our guys should be different then other college athletes because our fans demand it!

dawgday166
11-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Holy shit. Drawing some sort of comparison to what Whitehead did and Fitz did is completely disingenuous. Whitehead went on a profanity laced tirade and made a death threat. Fitz essentially said "thanks haters". The fact that you placed them even remotely in the same category shows how absolutely out of touch you are on this.

And Fitz went to Athens on an off weekend. So flipping what? The entire team bugs out on off weekends, and has for years. It has absolutely no impact on their game on the field. None. They aren't missing practice, they aren't missing prep time. There is no correlation to him playing like shit a WEEK later. And yeah, he threw 4 picks and threw like crap - along with the entire offense looking like crap (well, except Fitz running for 131 which everyone seems to ignore because of the 4 picks). Now - where I would have an issue with the partying, etc. is if he were out all night on Friday night in BR pre-game. That impacts the game. And it wouldn't surprise me that that was going on seeing the way things seem to run right now. But, even then, I wouldn't be shocked 1 bit. If you ever spent any time outside your dorm in college, you know that the athletes are closing down the bars all the time (even nights before games). But, hey, our guys should be different then other college athletes because our fans demand it!

Didn't know all that. I'm starting to think Fitz must've hooked up with Todd's girlfriend or something like that. Todd be hating on Fitz now.

Tbonewannabe
11-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Not even close to the same between Whitehead and Fitz. It is a truly weird time that you can now bitch or praise athelets/celebrities and occasionally they will respond. Fitz biggest issue was that he didn't have the drive that Dak does. The big thing is most NFL QBs don't have that level drive to be a better QB. Brees, Brady, and Peyton did which led to them being even better QBs.

We can't fault Fitz if he chooses to do things with his life other than football especially when he is supposed to be a "student athlete". I wonder how many people bitch that Fitz wasn't spending every waking minute getting better at football also bitch that football players shouldn't be paid in college (not directed at Todd4)?