PDA

View Full Version : OM Bye before the Egg Bowl

Matt3467
11-20-2019, 09:03 AM
I thought it was odd that OM had a bye before the Egg Bowl especially when we have to turn around a little over 4 days after our game with Abilene to play them on Thursday.

I looked back 16 years to 2003 and not once has either team had a bye before the Egg Bowl. How does OM get one now especially now that the series is played on a Thursday?

dantheman4248
11-20-2019, 09:07 AM
I thought it was odd that OM had a bye before the Egg Bowl especially when we have to turn around a little over 4 days after our game with Abilene to play them on Thursday.

I looked back 16 years to 2003 and not once has either team had a bye before the Egg Bowl. How does OM get one now especially now that the series is played on a Thursday?

They scheduled it and we scheduled our FCS school in that slot instead of one of our other two bye weeks.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2019, 09:08 AM

I think it is just happenstance due to this season being one with 2 byes. They don't have a bye before the Egg Bowl next year - they play Ga Southern

cujo
11-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Luke has to keep his players interested for a week and a half in playing a game with nothing on the line but pride.
I guarantee you some would rather be at home with family or in the woods deer hunting.
Pretty sure OM students get the whole week of Thanksgiving off. No classes.
I prefer our schedule to theirs.

Ari Gold
11-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Luke has to keep his players interested for a week and a half in playing a game with nothing on the line but pride.
I guarantee you some would rather be at home with family or in the woods deer hunting.

Agree....
if we get to rest players and play a lot of freshman but
If this game is closer than expected , advantage week off

MafiaDawg
11-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Do we really want sloppy joe with any extra time to ?prepare?? The less time for him to gameplan the better.

cujo
11-20-2019, 09:18 AM
True dat!

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Do we really want sloppy joe with any extra time to ?prepare?? The less time for him to gameplan the better.

Does he game plan either way? I can't tell that he ever game plans myself. Maybe adds a trick play or 2 at times, but nothing else.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 09:24 AM
I think we should have the same amount of time off as Ole Miss going into the Egg Bowl. Either both should have a bye, both should play a FCS team, or both should play a regular game.

msstatelp1
11-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Shouldn't matter. If ACU turns into more than a glorified practice then we probably aren't winning the EB anyway.

tireddawg
11-20-2019, 11:03 AM

This is just wishful thinking with a marooned colored thinking cap. I've got OM family in Oxford, & we're all they're talking about. I'm not indicating they'll run all over us & win the game like some of our fans have stated, but they'll be ready.

smootness
11-20-2019, 11:11 AM
I think we should have the same amount of time off as Ole Miss going into the Egg Bowl. Either both should have a bye, both should play a FCS team, or both should play a regular game.

Who would control that?

We could have scheduled to have a bye that week if we wanted to.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Agreed.

Give our performance after two byes this year, playing a FCS is much better for us.

However OM will have basically 3 weeks to prep for our offense. Having played LSU with a very similar offense.

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Agreed.

Give our performance after two byes this year, playing a FCS is much better for us.

However OM will have basically 3 weeks to prep for our offense. Having played LSU with a very similar offense.

What's similar between our O and the LSU O? LOL

MedDawg
11-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Agreed.

Their 1st prep week of 3 certainly didn't help their defense. LSU gained over 700 yards against OM.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Their 1st prep week of 3 certainly didn't help their defense. LSU gained over 700 yards against OM.

I agree. And conversely, maybe Joe can see formations in the OM/LSU game film, that we can use or scrap.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Who would control that?

We could have scheduled to have a bye that week if we wanted to.

The SEC and the AD’s of both schools. They have meetings about the schedule annually.

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
What's similar between our O and the LSU O? LOL

Everything, except they are coached better and execute.

smootness
11-20-2019, 02:02 PM
The SEC and the AD’s of both schools. They have meetings about the schedule annually.

But at the end of the day it's up to each school. If State wants to play a game in between and OM doesn't, the SEC is just going to force one of them to do the opposite of what they prefer? The SEC determines the SEC schedule and can institute rules across the board like having to play one P5 game, but to force a school to schedule a game or bye week on a specific week that doesn't have anything to do with the SEC schedule? It's hard for me to see that working.

TheLostDawg
11-20-2019, 07:58 PM
They scheduled it and we scheduled our FCS school in that slot instead of one of our other two bye weeks.

This

defiantdog
11-20-2019, 08:53 PM
We?ll probably start the game flat either way

Goldendawg
11-20-2019, 09:06 PM
I've seen many Eggs and most of the time UM is fired up. Many times more than us. I'm sure "Street Fighter JO" will be ready. However, he will probably bring a knife to the gunfight!