PDA

View Full Version : $3MM is just 10,000 people at $50 per ticket. Keeping Moorhead could easily cost more

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 05:13 PM
For everyone saying we can't afford to fire Moorhead. Moorhead and possibly Shoop are the only guys with a longer contract than year to year.

So even if you pay Moorhead his entire contract with no buyout, the total amount is $3-3.25MM. This amount would typically go down by the amount he would be paid to coach somewhere else, so you could assume the price is lowered by at least $200K or so. If he truly is an offensive genius then some big time program would get him for $750K - 1MM.

With the apathy that you see just in fanbase, you could easily see the attendance dropping by 5-10,000.

This doesn't even factor in the loss in concessions and merchandise.

It also doesn't look at the lost revenue in Starkville for hotel and restaurants.

Honestly, keeping Moorhead might be a bigger gamble especially if he loses the Egg Bowl. By getting a new coach, you get a bump in enthusiasm just from the unknown. Even if it is someone like Hud, the fans don't know if his team is going to shit the bed against anyone with a SEC defense. You also wouldn't expect to get a penalty on the first play of the game.

Liverpooldawg
11-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Fine, but you need to realize it's NOT a sure thing. If you fire Joe now the next guy IS here for at least 4 years. Even if we can afford to pay Joe not to coach, we can't do it for two ex-coaches in football. Make another Rick Ray hire and you really have killed the program. The odds of not making a Rick Ray hire go up if you wait one more year. The time you are stuck with the next one is reduced as well. I preached this same thing when we fired Stans. If he wins the next two, firing him would be a disaster.

timotheus
11-19-2019, 06:14 PM
keep joe and then go 3-9 or 4-8 next year and it'll be worse than it is this very moment.

Liverpooldawg
11-19-2019, 06:19 PM
keep joe and then go 3-9 or 4-8 next year and it'll be worse than it is this very moment.

I'm talking about the next hire. If he does that no one would bat an eye about him being fired. He very well may, if he is here.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Fine, but you need to realize it's NOT a sure thing. If you fire Joe now the next guy IS here for at least 4 years. Even if we can afford to pay Joe not to coach, we can't do it for two ex-coaches in football. Make another Rick Ray hire and you really have killed the program. The odds of not making a Rick Ray hire go up if you wait one more year. The time you are stuck with the next one is reduced as well. I preached this same thing when we fired Stans. If he wins the next two, firing him would be a disaster.

I agree that it is a gamble but keeping Moorhead is also a big gamble. About half the people I know aren't getting tickets if Moorhead is still coach. I don't think we could go out on a limb and hire a coordinator. We would need to hire someone who has at least been a head coach in Division 1 and preferably someone who knows what it takes in the SEC.

dantheman4248
11-19-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm talking about the next hire. If he does that no one would bat an eye about him being fired. He very well may, if he is here.

You keep talking like coaches are scared off because we're firing a guy who went 6-6. Nah, we're firing a guy who wrecked a team full of talent and made them play like pansies. If that scares off a coach, then that's not the coach we want to attract. You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. We are the prize, the coaches are the players; not the other way around.

This is a top 35 program in the nation. We're in the SEC. THE conference. This is where the ego of egos go. Guys who are scared they "won't have enough time" need not apply. There are 14 seats at this table. A&M, LSU, Bama, Florida, and Georgia are happily filled. UT, Missouri and OM have one more year leash on their guy. Auburn is a wildcard but likely waits at least one more year. SCar will be competing with us for a coach this year. Vandy and Ark will too, but their jobs are shit jobs. Kentucky may if their coach gets poached for FSU. So as it stands we likely have the best opening into the best conference / division in football this offseason. That alone gives us all the leverage we need.

Really Clark?
11-19-2019, 06:41 PM
You keep talking like coaches are scared off because we're firing a guy who went 6-6. Nah, we're firing a guy who wrecked a team full of talent and made them play like pansies. If that scares off a coach, then that's not the coach we want to attract. You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. We are the prize, the coaches are the players; not the other way around.

This is a top 35 program in the nation. We're in the SEC. THE conference. This is where the ego of egos go. Guys who are scared they "won't have enough time" need not apply. There are 14 seats at this table. A&M, LSU, Bama, Florida, and Georgia are happily filled. UT, Missouri and OM have one more year leash on their guy. Auburn is a wildcard but likely waits at least one more year. SCar will be competing with us for a coach this year. Vandy and Ark will too, but their jobs are shit jobs. Kentucky may if their coach gets poached for FSU. So as it stands we likely have the best opening into the best conference / division in football this offseason. That alone gives us all the leverage we need.

Actually it doesn’t look like Vandy will be searching and USCe may not be either

Liverpooldawg
11-19-2019, 06:48 PM

I've heard it before. It didn't work out very well then.

Dawgfan77
11-19-2019, 07:13 PM
I?d take my chances by hiring a guy like Napier than have one more year of SloMo. Nothing this guy has done excites or promotes a winning physical attitude

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 07:30 PM
I?d take my chances by hiring a guy like Napier than have one more year of SloMo. Nothing this guy has done excites or promotes a winning physical attitude

You bet! If Mike Norvell or Billy Napier are dead serious about replacing your coach in year two then you take them. Not saying that's happening but if Billy Napier is knocking down your door today you better take or he will be at Vandy, South Carolina or, God forbid, ole miss next year. This may be a good year to drop a two year coach that has grossly underachieved and upgrade considerably.

BeastMan
11-19-2019, 09:31 PM
I have been saying for months that it will cost us more to keep him than to fire him. $9M is a value and we wont pay that much. At a certain point you have to make a business decision. Look at what the attendance will be Saturday and that will be the norm in 2020 if we lose Saturday and miss a bowl.

WinningIsRelentless
11-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Y?all do realize in the state of ms the max contract amount for a salaried employee is like 400k and anything above that the m club is responsible for. Thus on the buyout the m club is responsible for the vast majority of it and they don?t get any of the tv money.

Cowbell
11-19-2019, 10:26 PM

Do you not think it would be worth the risk? We would be better off taking the chance on improvement than accepting that we have to underperform for another year. Also, just the thought of some fresh air in the program will offer ROI. I honestly like most of your takes as a poster but you have got to chill with the pessimism around getting rid of the worst football coach we have had in my lifetime.

Really Clark?
11-19-2019, 10:34 PM
Y?all do realize in the state of ms the max contract amount for a salaried employee is like 400k and anything above that the m club is responsible for. Thus on the buyout the m club is responsible for the vast majority of it and they don?t get any of the tv money.

The money is already set aside from the Seal’s for coach buyouts

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 10:44 PM

Yeah that coach after Ray has turned out to be a complete disaster.**

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Actually it doesn’t look like Vandy will be searching and USCe may not be either

Yep. Our competition this time around could very well be worst case scenario Arkansas and Kentucky. You really couldn't ask for a better hiring environment honestly. Compare that to last time when we had to compete with Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Arkansas...and sort of Ole Miss.

shannondawg
11-20-2019, 01:21 PM
I don't think most season ticket sales will suffer that much, cause most holders are happy with their seats and don't want to lose their priority. Attendance may be something else though.

Least it would be for me.

dawgs
11-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Moorhead IS the Rick Ray in this equation.

dawgs
11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Do you not think it would be worth the risk? We would be better off taking the chance on improvement than accepting that we have to underperform for another year. Also, just the thought of some fresh air in the program will offer ROI. I honestly like most of your takes as a poster but you have got to chill with the pessimism around getting rid of the worst football coach we have had in my lifetime.

Are you only 10 years old? Does that make you our youngest poster? :confused: