PDA

View Full Version : What are the most important qualities for a MSU head coach?

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Just wondering what everyone considers the most important qualities.

1. Develop a strong culture based on toughness and hard work.
2. Offensive innovation. We have to be willing to adapt to get any possible advantage.
3. Defense that brings the boom. We can recruit great defensive players.
4. Recruiting.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Doesn't mind practicing outdoors when it's really hot.

Also, will actually sit down and draw up a game plan instead of assuming his awesome offense will blow everyone away without one.

Oh ... and one more thing. Needs to realize blocking on offense is a somewhat important part of the game. So he needs to be willing to coach that. It's not just about jogging nice and easy through routes and throwing nice easy passes to WRs in practice..

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:04 PM
Physical culture

Type A

An offensive scheme that actually makes sense for what we can consistently recruit.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:20 PM
They talked about this on the other board, but our new coach needs to have had some sort of experience in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:22 PM
Our next coach will be Napier. Smoke is forming.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 09:23 PM

How you know? And we need fire.

TrapGame
11-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Spill it.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Spill it.

I don't have any individual information. Your just seeing his name pop over and over across all sites. It's becoming fairly clear that he's of significant interest

MaroonFlounder

Not buying that.

dawgday166
I don't have any individual information. Your just seeing his name pop over and over across all sites. It's becoming fairly clear that he's of significant interest

Really?? C'mon mane!!

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:34 PM

LOL, so I'm your source.

msstate7
11-18-2019, 10:18 PM
LOL, so I'm your source.

Clawson will be our coach in 2020.

Let's see who is the better source**

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Clawson will be our coach in 2020.

Let's see who is the better source**

That would be outstanding

msstate7
11-18-2019, 10:26 PM
That would be outstanding

Yeah, it would, but my sources suck bc it's basically me dreaming

DogsofAnarchy
11-18-2019, 10:43 PM

2. Offensive innovation. We have to be willing to adapt to get any possible advantage.
4. Recruiting.

Communication on a level that players from the south can understand.

Multiple formations for multiple situations with a Power Running Spread Concept.

Ability to go different set inside the Red Zone: like the I-Formation.

Dual Threat QB. Has to be able to run a little and Pass a little.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:10 PM
LOL, so I'm your source.

You're thing does say that you may sit in skyboxes.**

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:32 PM
I think we essentially need a CEO at head coach. I feel like Joe is basically a play caller trying to be a head coach. As I've said before I feel like there is a huge disconnect between the AD, the fans, and I think the head coach. To me part of the responsibility of the head football coach is to communicate TO the AD WHAT we need to succeed at this level. To be fair to Cohen, he can't provide something if he doesn't know what it is that he needs to provide. The coach has to tell him that.

For example read the article on Napier. What he has built at ULL is basically a smaller scale version of Alabama's system. And it encompasses a lot of things.

1. His coaching staff. The thing about a CEO coach who is brought in to coach rather than someone like Dan or Joe being hired to run "his" system is it allows us a LOT more flexibility. Under Dan we missed on Gardner Minchew who could have been our senior QB last year because "he didn't fit Dan's system" and that makes me more sick than the fact that we only won 8 games. Joe's system has been a failure as well and part of it is because of the lack of flexibility. The goes for the other side of the ball as well. The idea of it is- if Mississippi produces guys that are more run oriented we need to be flexible enough to adapt to that. On the other side of the coin if Mississippi has a year where QB's and WR's are abundant like next year for example or the year AJ Bown and DK Metcalf were around- we need to be able to adapt to that as well. Whatever offense/defense we run we MUST have a coach that demands discipline on and off the field and has energy and passion. We also need a coach that has the discernment to put the BEST on the field and not play favorites like we are seeing with Tommy and like Dan consistently did with Holloway and the other upperclassmen. Have a coach that is truly dedicated to special teams. We can not afford to be sloppy in that area of the game.

2. Recruiting. We have done better as far as focusing on this with Joe- but there is still a lot of room for improvement. A lot of our fans try to blow it off when we miss on a prospect but it's a pretty vital part of having a lot of success.

3. Increasing coaching analysts for scouting and quality control.

4. Placing a focus on S&C and nutrition and making sure that we have top notch people in that role rather than trying to see it as a place to cut corners. I would guess this has cost us at least two games this year. And probably made us look even worse in blowouts at times.

5. I think Joe has done a poor job of connecting with the MSU fan base and the Starkville community. Megan was really good in her role at this. And I definitely think it helped build support for Dan during some tough times. And part of this is marketing. Dan was 10x marketed better than Joe. No- that's not an excuse for anything. It's a criticism of the MSU AD for how they are selling their product. Enough of that rabbit hole for now...

That's pretty much my list although I can think of some others probably.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:33 PM
And if ULL- a program that is essentially USM/La Tech caliber- can do all of those things and provide that for Napier coming off of probation no less there is ZERO reason why MSU can't do it.

timotheus
11-18-2019, 11:55 PM
Very valid points

TaleofTwoDogs
11-19-2019, 01:58 AM

4. Recruiting.

Simply: JUST WIN, BABY, JUST WIN

Everything else just falls in place.

timotheus
11-19-2019, 06:25 AM
1. Look and seem prepared
2. Be capable of assessing talent
3. Be ready when things go of the rails in a game
4. Do post game interview from the stats so it appears not to be a prepared speech
5. Be accountable and expect the same from all other coaches