PDA

View Full Version : Game prep these next 10 days

KOdawg1
11-18-2019, 03:37 PM
If our staff is smart (lol, I know right) they start prepping for OM this week. In fact, they should have been prepping before this week. OM has a bye this week, and they will be coming to handle business next Thursday. I know preparation is not a strong suit of this staff, but we need all the help we can get.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 03:41 PM
What ever we did to prep for Tenn and Bama over extended period of time...do the exact opposite because those preps were hot pile of steaming dung

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't play Kylin on Saturday. I would pull all starters at halftime. Work on plays that will work against Ole Miss. like pga guys do before the Masters.

KOdawg1
11-18-2019, 03:46 PM
On the other hand, OM has proven that they can come out prepared after a bye. After their first bye this year, they came out and almost beat Auburn @ Auburn.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't play Kylin on Saturday. I would pull all starters at halftime. Work on plays that will work against Ole Miss. like pga guys do before the Masters.

We may not have that option. ABC is putting up 424 yards and 30 points a game. Yes, they are 5-6. Yes, they are FCS. But, we could end up in a Samford '16 style shootout with these guys.

TrapGame
11-18-2019, 04:21 PM
These mother****ers couldn't prep for colonoscopy.

MaroonFlounder
11-18-2019, 05:05 PM
We may not have that option. ABC is putting up 424 yards and 30 points a game. Yes, they are 5-6. Yes, they are FCS. But, we could end up in a Samford '16 style shootout with these guys.

You can't be this clueless.

Johnson85
11-18-2019, 05:29 PM
What ever we did to prep for Tenn and Bama over extended period of time...do the exact opposite because those preps were hot pile of steaming dung

Yup. If they did a lot of game planning and prep for UT or Bama, then we may just need to do a bunch of drills on fundamentals. If they did work on fundamentals in those bye weeks, then I don't know. Maybe just script the first offensive play of the game and then spend a few days this week practicing it so that we can maybe get the snap off without a delay of game or false start? Anything after that is just gravy.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 06:50 PM
You can't be this clueless.
Enlighten me then. Are you saying "ABC is a horrible team, no way they can hang", or "we can't have a bad game against an FCS team", or "our offense isn't good enough to get in a shootout with anyone"? Because as inept as our offense has looked outside of the Arkansas game, if we go in with an attitude like "Let's sit Kylin" as the poster I was responding to said - then we could be setting ourselves for a bad outcome. It may not be a loss, but it could be a game that adds more fuel to the dumpster fire.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 07:46 PM
No way Joe screws this up.**

And I am expecting a Samford type shootout. No Tutorgate players and if we have a brain Kylin will play very little.

MaroonFlounder
11-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Enlighten me then. Are you saying "ABC is a horrible team, no way they can hang", or "we can't have a bad game against an FCS team", or "our offense isn't good enough to get in a shootout with anyone"? Because as inept as our offense has looked outside of the Arkansas game, if we go in with an attitude like "Let's sit Kylin" as the poster I was responding to said - then we could be setting ourselves for a bad outcome. It may not be a loss, but it could be a game that adds more fuel to the dumpster fire.

If you think that even in our diminished competitiveness that MSU won't demolish a FCS team, then you are just consumed with JoMo hate like lefties are with trump.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 09:15 PM
If you think that even in our diminished competitiveness that MSU won't demolish a FCS team, then you are just consumed with JoMo hate like lefties are with trump.

Probably will. Joe needs to pump up those stats to show "improvement" from when he took over the reins.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 09:44 PM

So that shootout with Samford in '16 was a figment of my imagination? We weren't up only 8 until we put the game away with 5 minutes to play? And we didn't give up 629 total yards and 41 points to an FCS team that we should have throttled? Weird. Could have sworn I watched that debacle. Which was my point. If we go into this game with an attitude that we can take them lightly we could be in for an unexpected day. It happens - and has happened to teams playing much better than we are right now. No deranged hate of JoMo needed - I've seen seen us have tough games to inferior talent for almost 30 years.

R2Dawg
11-18-2019, 09:50 PM
So that shootout with Samford in '16 was a figment of my imagination? We weren't up only 8 until we put the game away with 5 minutes to play? And we didn't give up 629 total yards and 41 points to an FCS team that we should have throttled? Weird. Could have sworn I watched that debacle. Which was my point. If we go into this game with an attitude that we can take them lightly we could be in for an unexpected day. It happens - and has happened to teams playing much better than we are right now. No deranged hate of JoMo needed - I've seen seen us have tough games to inferior talent for almost 30 years.

I see your point but that was the Sirmon D which was probably the worst D in 30 years, maybe 40. As bad as our D has looked most of the year, they are not 2016 bad I don't think. Gibson is plenty good enough to dominate ABC. With our OL we should be able to play anyone at RB and be OK. Need TS to work on his throwing stats.

MaroonFlounder
11-18-2019, 10:10 PM

No comparison. Samford has fielded way better teams than ABC.

ABC lost to Incarnate Word. INCARNATE WORD!

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 10:24 PM

Samford was a 7-5 team in 2016. Incarnate Ward is on the same level as ACU this year. Actually ahead of them in the standings and beat SELA who is atop of the Southland conference. Don’t act like there is a huge gap of what Samford was in 2016. We should blow them out but we should have blew out Samford as well. Sirmon or not

MaroonFlounder
11-18-2019, 10:26 PM
Samford was a 7-5 team in 2016. Incarnate Ward is on the same level as ACU this year. Actually ahead of them in the standings and beat SELA who is atop of the Southland conference. Don’t act like there is a huge gap of what Samford was in 2016. We should blow them out but we should have blew out Samford as well. Sirmon or not

Where is SELA in the pecking order? They lost to them by 3 TDs last week.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Where is SELA in the pecking order? They lost to them by 3 TDs last week.

They are third. ACU beat Nicholls who is first in the standings and lost by 1 to Central Ark who is second in the standings. Nicholls, Central Ark and SELA have the same record but listed in that order in the standings.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 10:53 PM

All I am saying is crazy things can happen when a team is teetering on the brink. It’s not like this team has proven that they can rise to the occasion. And it’s not like I predicted a loss either - but come out flat, turn the ball over and get dumb penalties is our MO and I wouldn’t be shocked to see that again Saturday.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:00 PM
I see your point but that was the Sirmon D which was probably the worst D in 30 years, maybe 40. As bad as our D has looked most of the year, they are not 2016 bad I don't think. Gibson is plenty good enough to dominate ABC. With our OL we should be able to play anyone at RB and be OK. Need TS to work on his throwing stats.

You made me curious:

2019- 31 PPG, 11th in total defense

2016- 31.8 PPG, 12th in total defense

I will say this because it needs to be said in fairness. 2016 is based on 13 games and 2019 is based off of 10 games so there is still time for 2019 to improve. Also- 2019 without the Tutor gate players is allowing 36 PPG while only allowing 21 with the Tutor Gate players. Not to make excuses- but it does show their impact.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:05 PM
All I am saying is crazy things can happen when a team is teetering on the brink. It’s not like this team has proven that they can rise to the occasion. And it’s not like I predicted a loss either - but come out flat, turn the ball over and get dumb penalties is our MO and I wouldn’t be shocked to see that again Saturday.

I 100% agree with everything you've said. Tommy could hit the fan again- although, history says he should have a big day. We're probably going to want to conserve Kylin as much as we can. Our receivers and o-line are inconsistent. We won't have the Tutor Gate players. ACU looking at the stats and just going off of that alone appears to be a team that favors throwing the ball more than running. That to me is the weakness of our defense. We generate very little pass rush. Our linebackers are consistently abused in the pass game and we're missing Morgan and Murphy at safety- meaning we're playing freshmen back there who could have a couple of freshmen moments at bad times. I won't even discuss how awful special teams is.

Ezsoil
11-19-2019, 10:32 PM

Regardless of what you think of Moorhead or Shoop ..Peter Sirmon was the worst defensive coach in the history of football...that is apples and oranges

CadaverDawg
11-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Maybe we can lose to Abilene and go ahead and fire Joe's ass, that way I can root for us to beat Ole Miss without fear that I'm rooting to keep Joe for another year. Win/Win

StateDawg44
11-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Who would be assigned interim? Shoop?

Johnson85
11-20-2019, 09:42 AM
You made me curious:

2019- 31 PPG, 11th in total defense

2016- 31.8 PPG, 12th in total defense

I will say this because it needs to be said in fairness. 2016 is based on 13 games and 2019 is based off of 10 games so there is still time for 2019 to improve. Also- 2019 without the Tutor gate players is allowing 36 PPG while only allowing 21 with the Tutor Gate players. Not to make excuses- but it does show their impact.

Not really. Tutor Gate players haven't played against the best or worst competition we've played (other than having one play against USM). Just hard to say what impact they really would have had based off stats because of the disparity in competition.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Who would be assigned interim? Shoop?

Yeah I would think Shoop

dawgday166
11-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Maybe we can lose to Abilene and go ahead and fire Joe's ass, that way I can root for us to beat Ole Miss without fear that I'm rooting to keep Joe for another year. Win/Win

I like it! +1

ETA: Gotta spread some rep around yada, yada.

tcdog70
11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
pretty simple to Me--to beat OM--we must play Man defense--and spy Plumlee with Cole or Gay. Load the damn box. and please tackle.

bigplayslay
11-20-2019, 11:44 AM
pretty simple to Me--to beat OM--we must play Man defense--and spy Plumlee with Cole or Gay. Load the damn box. and please tackle.

I agree. But you could say the same thing about the game plan against UK last year. Load the box and make Terry Wilson beat you. Don't let Snell beat you. We all know how that turned out.

smootness
11-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Ole Miss will beat us.

tcdog70
11-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Ole Miss will beat us.

not if Murphy and Gay play well. we need them to be able to tackle Plumlee. he won't beat us throwing. We need to defend like we are playing a triple option team. He must be hit and hit often.