PDA

View Full Version : My Expectation For What Cohen Will Do in Next Football Coaching Search...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 02:56 PM
I've been thinking this through and here is my prediction.

When Cohen canned Canny, what did he do? First he tried to get one of his best friends Tim Corbin, then he went after his other best friend Dan McDonald, then he went after known with Schloss, and, lastly, after all those went belly up, he went back to McDonnell and asked him "who would you hire?"

Thus, I expect Cohen to take the same strategy with the football hire. He knows his job will be on the line with this next hire and thus I expect him to go with safe and known.

I don't see him hiring a G5 coach that he doesn't know or has a super super trusted connection with.

Therefore, if Cohen repeats the successful strategy of his last under fire hire, then he'll go after a proven power 5 head coach and then probably call Mullen, Byrne, and Stricklin and ask them who they would hire.

After hiring a guy he didn't know or have a connection with in Moorhead, I can't see him taking that path again.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Lol at calling Mullen. You're a funny guy.

PMDawg
11-18-2019, 03:20 PM
I think you're overthinking this.

Pipedream
11-18-2019, 03:25 PM

When Cohen canned Canny, what did he do? First he tried to get one of his best friends Tim Corbin, then he went after his other best friend Dan McDonald, then he went after known with Schloss, and, lastly, after all those went belly up, he went back to McDonnell and asked him "who would you hire?"

Thus, I expect Cohen to take the same strategy with the football hire. He knows his job will be on the line with this next hire and thus I expect him to go with safe and known.

I don't see him hiring a G5 coach that he doesn't know or has a super super trusted connection with.

Therefore, if Cohen repeats the successful strategy of his last under fire hire, then he'll go after a proven power 5 head coach and then probably call Mullen, Byrne, and Stricklin and ask them who they would hire.

After hiring a guy he didn't know or have a connection with in Moorhead, I can't see him taking that path again.

Cohen's won't get to make this next hire on his own. He's lost that privilege. It has to be taken out of his hands. Not saying boosters know better, because traditionally they're as bad or worse than AD's at hiring/firing, but they're the ones that are going to have to pay for Cohens' mistake (Moorhead) thus they're going to get to make this hire. That's my guess as to how this plays out.

KOdawg1
11-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Mullen would laugh and hang up

AROB44
11-18-2019, 03:29 PM

That right there was enough for me.....

Mobile Bay
11-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Same with Judas Iscariot Stricklin now. It's their job to beat now. Sure it may be a long time before we play again. But still, why make things harder for themselves if we ever have to fight for a recruit?

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Same with Judas Iscariot Stricklin now. It's their job to beat now. Sure it may be a long time before we play again. But still, why make things harder for themselves if we ever have to fight for a recruit?

I don't sense that in reality there is the same amount of animosity between Cohen and those people as fans want to believe.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 03:45 PM
I guess by that logic he may call Tanner at USCe since they are both baseball coaches who are now AD’s. Of course him hiring Muschamp and possibly keeping him after this year may scare us to the advice he might give Cohen

Coach34
11-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Mullen and Cohen actually got along very well. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he asked his opinion

basedog
11-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Nothing wrong asking anyone what they think. Get this Shotgun, he asked several about Joe, and guess what, highly recommended.

basedog
11-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Mullen and Cohen actually got along very well. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he asked his opinion

Grantham says he is interested***

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 06:32 PM
I know this much about it, there will be more oversight with this search.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 06:33 PM
I know this much about it, there will be more oversight with this search.

As there should be IMO. Depends on the oversight committee or cigar guys of course.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 06:50 PM

I guess after Cohen interviews Urban and Rich Rod he can call up Danny Boy for some suggestions.

HailStateSZN19
11-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Has Cohen been prepping for this possibility since the UT game? Has he been doing some calling or gauging interest from agents of certain coaches for a while now? This has really picked up steam the last couple of weeks I guess as the possibility of it happening has grown but has Cohen been doing some work quietly behind the scenes since we lost the UT game? That might be an obvious yes or may not be true at all and ignorant. Idk. I’m not all too familiar with how all this works with things happening “behind the scenes” and what goes on. Just curious if that’s what has been happening for a while now, from those of y’all who know/hear things?

basedog
11-18-2019, 07:07 PM

LOL

+1

basedog
11-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Has Cohen been prepping for this possibility since the UT game? Has he been doing some calling or gauging interest from agents of certain coaches for a while now? This has really picked up steam the last couple of weeks I guess as the possibility of it happening has grown but has Cohen been doing some work quietly behind the scenes since we lost the UT game? That might be an obvious yes or may not be true at all and ignorant. Idk. I’m not all too familiar with how all this works with things happening “behind the scenes” and what goes on. Just curious if that’s what has been happening for a while now, from those of y’all who know/hear things?

"We shall see" is the word.

99jc
11-18-2019, 07:32 PM

lol

OLJWales
11-18-2019, 07:41 PM

these types of inquires actually happen more than you think

timotheus
11-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Keep Rich Rod in town after the EGG BOWL and let him run the show.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Most people in this thread have never had to make a big, important hire. The type of hire that gets you fired if you miss it.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 07:45 PM
As there should be IMO. Depends on the oversight committee or cigar guys of course.

It would be nice if it were like our last basketball coach, search a committee of one and his lawyer, get deal done before season is over, tell president deal is done, tell AD he can let the old coach go or go with him and bam new coach no muss no fuss just got it done.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 07:56 PM
I guess after Cohen interviews Urban and Rich Rod he can call up Danny Boy for some suggestions.

If he interviews RichRod he can just stop and make the hire. Would be a good pull. He has done a great job with OM offense this year. 28th in the country in Total O after what they lost and had to replace. Playing true freshmen. 600 yards on LSU.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:02 PM
If he interviews RichRod he can just stop and make the hire. Would be a good pull. He has done a great job with OM offense this year. 28th in the country in Total O after what they lost and had to replace. Playing true freshmen. 600 yards on LSU.

Rich Rod with Shrader would be nasty. Far nastier than what he can do with Plumlee.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 09:04 PM

I'm warming up to this idea. Maybe he'll keep Shoop too. Could be a Jackie type hire although he's working, but wants to get back to HC job. He might do well and stay for a while too.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:07 PM
In realize Rich Rod gets a bad rap, but what would've been our record last year with him as the head coach?

I'll hang up and listen.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:17 PM
In realize Rich Rod gets a bad rap, but what would've been our record last year with him as the head coach?

I'll hang up and listen.

He couldn't win at Michigan. He kind of sucked at Arizona. But yeah, he would have won 10 last year at MSU. Probably 75-100 guys would have won 10 at MSU last year.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:20 PM
He couldn't win at Michigan. He kind of sucked at Arizona. But yeah, he would have won 10 last year at MSU. Probably 75-100 guys would have won 10 at MSU last year.

Fair points.

Personally, I think Michigan was a bad fit for his personality and Arizona lacked the recruiting base for him to take the next step.

I think scheme and recruiting wise, MSU would be the best fit he's ever coached at.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Fair points.

Personally, I think Michigan was a bad fit for his personality and Arizona lacked the recruiting base for him to take the next step.

I think scheme and recruiting wise, MSU would be the best fit he's ever coached at.

He reminds me of Joe Lee Dunn. Innovative then never evolved.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 09:24 PM

Except his offense is working. Why does he need to evolve?

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Except his offense is working. Why does he need to evolve?

Ole Miss is 4-7. They couldn't score against LSU until they were down 21-0. He's gotten fired from his last 2 jobs. Something ain't working.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Not interested in Rich Rod. Hud would be way better hire than that cat.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 09:47 PM

Michigan never embraced him and their recruiting footprint isn't all that Spread friendly. They are physical football multiple TE football. Hoke failed there also.

RR's O is made for the South and its athletes. Matches our recruiting footprint perfectly.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Ole Miss is 4-7. They couldn't score against LSU until they were down 21-0. He's gotten fired from his last 2 jobs. Something ain't working.

OM put 600 yards and 38 on LSU. They missed a FG that would have added more points. Offense is not their problem. You will see that on Thanksgiving

Coach34
11-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Not interested in Rich Rod. Hud would be way better hire than that cat.

based on what?

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 09:52 PM

You absolutely nailed it.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 10:01 PM
You absolutely nailed it.

How did he "nail it"?

RichRod's O is 28th in the country in Total O with a true freshman QB and only 3 Sr's on offense. That puts in the top 1/3 of college football in performance. Means he has done a top notch job. You guys make no sense

cheewgumm
11-18-2019, 10:15 PM
1 thing matters... results.

I?m not sure what ?evolving? means, unless it means you want him to pass more or differently. it?s impossible to argue with the results at Ole Miss.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 10:21 PM
How did he "nail it"?

RichRod's O is 28th in the country in Total O with a true freshman QB and only 3 Sr's on offense. That puts in the top 1/3 of college football in performance. Means he has done a top notch job. You guys make no sense

RR also had Arizona a consistent 7-8 win team.

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 01:38 AM
How did he "nail it"?

PPG- Rich Rod 27.2 Joe 26.5

The point is to score. Not collect yards. Getting 600 yards on someone and not cracking at least 40 is actually kind of sad when you think about it. We've played a true freshman about half the year at QB. Actually still should be playing Shrader but that's another discussion. I can't fix Joe's stupid.

Digging into the scores:

The only times they have cracked 30 in SEC play has been either against Arkansas (fewer than Joe and Tommy Turnover were able to rack up by a whopping two TD's and in Oxford no less whereas we did it in Fayetteville and no I'm not counting Murphy's defensive TD), Vanderbilt, and then blowouts against Alabama and LSU. By blow out I mean allowed at least 56 points or more. Other than that when teams are playing with the game on the line they haven't been impressive. Even Mizzou had a fairly decent lead before the "comeback" and they got up to 27 points.

I could talk about what they did in OOC play but it's also largely not impressive either considering the competition.

Now, we may very well lose to them. But that says a lot more about US than it does them.

At any rate, I find it interesting that some fans think an offense that is putting up basically the same production- aside from yards- but PPG, rushing (they do have more yards but it's more a function of their scheme having more attempts as the rushing per AVG per game for both of us is only about .4-.5 yards off, and passing are pretty similar as what Joe is doing now if you look at it analytically.

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 01:48 AM
1 thing matters... results.

I?m not sure what ?evolving? means, unless it means you want him to pass more or differently. it?s impossible to argue with the results at Ole Miss.

That's the thing. Our results now and Rich Rod's are almost the same except for yards. I'm not sure that leading the SEC in total offense and having four wins at this point would make anyone here feel much better.

confucius say
11-19-2019, 08:30 AM
RR also had Arizona a consistent 7-8 win team.

6.66 wins vs 5.33 losses was his regular season average. Not sure if that is good at Arizona.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 08:42 AM
6.66 wins vs 5.33 losses was his regular season average. Not sure if that is good at Arizona.

duplicate post

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 08:43 AM

One year at 3-9 kind of skews the average down. It looks like he was mostly around 6-7 regular season wins with a low of 3 wins and a high of 10 wins. The 10 wins in 2014 were the most since 1998. I would prefer Napier or even Hud but Rich Rod wouldn't be a horrible choice.

DownwardDawg
11-19-2019, 09:47 AM
based on what?

Based on facts. Hud has won everywhere he?s been. Rich Rod has not. He sucked at Michigan and at Arizona.

Coach34
11-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Based on facts. Hud has won everywhere he?s been. Rich Rod has not. He sucked at Michigan and at Arizona.

Hud was fired for losing at ULL. RR made the Arizona program better and even won 10 games one season. They played for the PAC-12 title. That’s their only appearance in that game.

Really Clark?
11-19-2019, 10:17 AM
I will say that Arizona didn’t fire RR for their performance on the field. He had already had an issue within the program once prior that was investigated into his “culture” in the program a few years prior. But the sexual harassment lawsuit is what broke them. They did not initially intend to fire him over the allegations because outside council didn’t think they could fire him with cause over the affair. He stayed through coaching them in the bowl game. But after the lawsuit was filed early in the new year, they made the decision to fire him without cause and pay his buyout. Those circumstances would have to be vetted and considered before giving him reigns to a program.

Personally I think he should stay as an assistant for a while longer or try to restart his HC career at a lower program. Could he be successful at the right program, I believe he can. He made a big mistake leaving WVU for Michigan and has had issues over the years job shopping as well. Supposedly he had tentatively agreed to USCe before backing out (not the first time he did so) and staying at Arizona. At the end of the day personally, at this time, I would look elsewhere. But the right school and he can be successful.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 11:15 AM
I will say that Arizona didn’t fire RR for their performance on the field. He had already had an issue within the program once prior that was investigated into his “culture” in the program a few years prior. But the sexual harassment lawsuit is what broke them. They did not initially intend to fire him over the allegations because outside council didn’t think they could fire him with cause over the affair. He stayed through coaching them in the bowl game. But after the lawsuit was filed early in the new year, they made the decision to fire him without cause and pay his buyout. Those circumstances would have to be vetted and considered before giving him reigns to a program.

Personally I think he should stay as an assistant for a while longer or try to restart his HC career at a lower program. Could he be successful at the right program, I believe he can. He made a big mistake leaving WVU for Michigan and has had issues over the years job shopping as well. Supposedly he had tentatively agreed to USCe before backing out (not the first time he did so) and staying at Arizona. At the end of the day personally, at this time, I would look elsewhere. But the right school and he can be successful.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he would be an improvement over Moorhead. He would be down the list for me but it would have the added bonus of screwing over UM.

BrunswickDawg
11-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Had a tentative agreement to coach Bama and backed out too. Instead, we got the Dark Lord.

Really Clark?
11-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Had a tentative agreement to coach Bama and backed out too. Instead, we got the Dark Lord.

Yep. That’s correct.