PDA

View Full Version : So just rewatched the offensive series only from the Bama game

Irondawg
11-18-2019, 02:54 PM
I missed the game b/c of a soccer tournament so watched the replay today to see how the offense really look and it honestly didn't look as bad as I expected an overall I thought Tommy played a decent game.

The first pick was about as bad a read as possible. Even if he the DL hadn't fallen back into the space, the TE wasn't open. He had 1-2 bad reads in the run option but that's always going to happen. Tough to figure out if we were trying to get the ball downfield more as he didn't make a lot of those throws and most were under pressure.

O. Mitchell had an awful day. Several terrible blocks on plays that depended on him, one of which was a hold that put us in 1st and 20. A drop on a 3rd down play. Couldn't make a play on the one deep shot we took over the middle. Overall our WR corps is not very good at blocking the WR screen-type plays.

What really stood out to me in this game is how we just don't have guys that can make 1:1 plays. Comparing it to the LSU game, their guys would make the first defender miss and turn it into a big play or would outfight the DB for the ball. Bama DBs won every contested ball. Their first guy tackled our RB pretty much every time. Regardless of scheme if you don't have offensive players than can make guys miss, it's hard to move the ball. That's why sometimes our offensive looks better with GS in it - he can generally make the first guy or two miss.

When we play teams at our talent level we generally look much better b/c we can win 1:1 with those guys, but against elite defenses we look terrible b/c we simply can't win those matchups. As a comparison OM looks terrible with Corral in there b/c he can't be dynamic - he's much more like TS. Plumlee is incredibly dynamic and it makes all the difference. Problem is that MSU has just had a really hard time finding those types of guys, especially at WR the past 20 years. We struck gold with Bear and Ross at the same time and look where that took us even though neither was a NFL WR.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 03:06 PM
My biggest critique is that Moorhead just doesn't try anything that seems to be out of his comfort zone. SC doesn't have that much more talent on offense than we do and they put up 28 on Bama. UM can barely complete a forward pass and they put up 30. This isn't a normal "Bama" defense and neither was the LSU defense that held us to 13 points with 7 coming in the first 57 minutes.

Bama is 27th in Total defense and LSU is 47th. We shouldn't need All SEC type WRs to score on those defenses.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 03:14 PM
We scored the same amount of points at USM and Ark...7. New Mexico St is 1-9 on the year and score 10. We couldn’t find another garbage TD vs a team that was going throw the motions in the second half? I mean yeah it’s garbage points and I don’t count it but both teams looked done with the game at halftime and they were shell shocked from Tua going down. And we got nothing for them.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 03:18 PM
The Patriots couldn't move the ball yesterday so they called a trick play for a TD. You have to be smart enough, innovative enough to find a way to move the ball when your base offense isn't working.

Ursus_americanus
11-18-2019, 03:29 PM
“Overall our WR corps is not very good at blocking the WR screen-type plays.”

Nothing new here. We can’t block them and we can’t defend them. Been that way for years....even under Mullet.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 03:34 PM
?Overall our WR corps is not very good at blocking the WR screen-type plays.?

Nothing new here. We can?t block them and we can?t defend them. Been that way for years....even under Mullet.

First, wonder why you would choose the black bear as a user name? And call Mullen...Mullet, I?m not saying but I?m just saying...

Secondly, if there was one thing Mullen?s WR could do, was block. And block extremely well many seasons.

Irondawg
11-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Thing is OM has 2, maybe 3 home run hitters - how many do we have? Even then they were down 45-10 before they scored a few including one with 5 seconds left in the game. SC had multiply 20+ yard plays, had one 30 yard TD catch in the middle of double coverage that was an unreal catch and then scored with 11 second left. Honestly we move the ball about as well as SC did, maybe a touch worse. You just have to make dynamic plays and we don't have a lot of dynamic players.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Thing is OM has 2, maybe 3 home run hitters - how many do we have? Even then they were down 45-10 before they scored a few including one with 5 seconds left in the game. SC had multiply 20+ yard plays, had one 30 yard TD catch in the middle of double coverage that was an unreal catch and then scored with 11 second left. Honestly we move the ball about as well as SC did, maybe a touch worse. You just have to make dynamic plays and we don't have a lot of dynamic players.

USCe has 459 total yards of offense. We were more than just a touch worse with 270 yards.

Lord McBuckethead
11-18-2019, 04:51 PM
I have two questions.
First, for the life of me, I cannot figure this out. What does moving KHill around before the snap do for us. Generally, it would show you how they plan on covering our guys, but with a guy that supposed to be in the backfield, no one moves a muscle while he is running 25 yards prior to snap. Then he runs from one side to the other on the QB. And the defense hasn't reacted a single time, this season.

Second, why would we bring in a tight formation, covering up our slot receiver and bring all 11 players into the box when it is a run play called up the middle? Especially because we couldn't pick up 2 yards with the RB when they only had 9 in the box. Why did we, 3 or 4 times Saturday bring them all in?

Also, what is with giving Bama and Ark and everyone else the 30-40 yard line on the short kick? I have welcomed our fair catch mentality on the kickoff, cause we are the slowest people on the planet returning the ball. Can Cole not bring it out of the endzone? Can we not try to lateral it across the entire field to Malik or something. We are literally the worst special teams unit I can remember.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 05:00 PM
This is actually explainable, the players don't believe therefore they aren't putting forward the effort to make said plays. Believing in what your doing and just attempting to do it are two different thing.

Irondawg
11-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Agree with the moving Hill around issue and agree that other teams moved the ball better. I’m just saying it wasn’t as bad as I expected

dantheman4248
11-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Not sure what game you watched... but to your point on WRs failing at blocking. If that's the case and we know it has been, why draw up plays for it and that require it.

Also shocking to not mention Tommy's terrible reads in the run game. The one drive we did score he opened up the offense with a run of his own. Bama has to respect it. Then they went back to disrespecting it and we have a designed QB run until the second half. And what happened then? A 40 something yard run. It's almost like Bama's defense under Saban has historically struggled against QBs that could also threaten the run.

Putrid gameplan. Bad effort. Scared reads. Tommy has the talent but showed for everyone to see that he doesn't like being hit enough to where he keeps himself out of harms way. Probably will be a decent college QB coach or HS OC. Much like Moorhead a likable guy but not a leader of men who will charge headfirst into battle.

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Not much fight from the team on each play, and our talent on offense is a little overrated. When you can't convert 4th and 2 in the redzone, that is pitiful pitiful pitiful.

Ursus_americanus
11-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Irondawg is right....just pointing out it's not a new thing for us. Can't block 'em and can't defend 'em.
And BTW Sherlock, next time you get the urge to google some Latin, try this "satira"---just sayin'.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Watching replay now. Couldn't watch game this weekend. It started out great. We were really ready to play *****

basedog
11-18-2019, 07:19 PM
I missed the game b/c of a soccer tournament so watched the replay today to see how the offense really look and it honestly didn't look as bad as I expected an overall I thought Tommy played a decent game.

The first pick was about as bad a read as possible. Even if he the DL hadn't fallen back into the space, the TE wasn't open. He had 1-2 bad reads in the run option but that's always going to happen. Tough to figure out if we were trying to get the ball downfield more as he didn't make a lot of those throws and most were under pressure.

O. Mitchell had an awful day. Several terrible blocks on plays that depended on him, one of which was a hold that put us in 1st and 20. A drop on a 3rd down play. Couldn't make a play on the one deep shot we took over the middle. Overall our WR corps is not very good at blocking the WR screen-type plays.

What really stood out to me in this game is how we just don't have guys that can make 1:1 plays. Comparing it to the LSU game, their guys would make the first defender miss and turn it into a big play or would outfight the DB for the ball. Bama DBs won every contested ball. Their first guy tackled our RB pretty much every time. Regardless of scheme if you don't have offensive players than can make guys miss, it's hard to move the ball. That's why sometimes our offensive looks better with GS in it - he can generally make the first guy or two miss.

When we play teams at our talent level we generally look much better b/c we can win 1:1 with those guys, but against elite defenses we look terrible b/c we simply can't win those matchups. As a comparison OM looks terrible with Corral in there b/c he can't be dynamic - he's much more like TS. Plumlee is incredibly dynamic and it makes all the difference. Problem is that MSU has just had a really hard time finding those types of guys, especially at WR the past 20 years. We struck gold with Bear and Ross at the same time and look where that took us even though neither was a NFL WR.

I posted other day how they couldn't separate. I should have added what you say about blocking, awful is the only word needed. I watched them closely Saturday, it's pretty obvious we really lack talent.

Good points Irondawg!

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 07:22 PM
First, wonder why you would choose the black bear as a user name? And call Mullen...Mullet, I?m not saying but I?m just saying...

Secondly, if there was one thing Mullen?s WR could do, was block. And block extremely well many seasons.

I didn't understand that statement either. First thing any offensive player that's not a QB learns to do under Mullen is block. Hev be all over someone's ass for not blocking.

Cooterpoot
11-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Watching our offense is like watching two flies 17. There’s no innovation or adjustments. It’s boring as hell.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Watching our offense is like watching two flies 17. There’s no innovation or adjustments. It’s boring as hell.

So boring.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Irondawg is right....just pointing out it's not a new thing for us. Can't block 'em and can't defend 'em.
And BTW Sherlock, next time you get the urge to google some Latin, try this "satira"---just sayin'.

I’m just saying, black bears liked to call him Mullet...you know, like you did. And I don’t know one State fan that watched Mullen teams and think our WR’s never block. Maybe you should put that in your pipe and smoke it, Sherlock.

bigplayslay
11-18-2019, 07:34 PM
So boring.

The offensive guru looks great against arguably the worst SEC team of all time in Arky.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 07:42 PM
The offensive guru looks great against arguably the worst SEC team of all time in Arky.

I guess. It was just Kylin, Tommy, and Nick running all over them. Arkansas defense is slightly tougher than air.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 07:54 PM
I guess. It was just Kylin, Tommy, and Nick running all over them. Arkansas defense is slightly tougher than air.

Arkansas was at the point of a near mutiny when we played them. 9 of 10 wanted no part of what was going on there it was and remains a complete wreck.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 07:55 PM
I'm starting to think James Franklin must've made sure his offensive personnel could block. Not sure Joe thinks that's an important aspect of the game.

ETA: That's Joe's 7-on-7 mentality. He might could be a good flag football coach. Well ... probably not.

Homedawg
11-18-2019, 08:15 PM

The fact it wasn't as bad you thought it would be should tell people all they need to know.... that we are awful on offense. We had 83 yards at half!!! We ended up w less than 300. Awful. Yes we play lesser talent better but UT isn't good on d, KSU not good, we don't look good until we play absolute shit. It's just a fact. Ark, usm etc. that's it.

TimberBeast
11-19-2019, 10:17 AM
This is actually explainable, the players don't believe therefore they aren't putting forward the effort to make said plays. Believing in what your doing and just attempting to do it are two different thing.

Exactly, it?s not hard to explain. They could care less right now, it?s very easy to see.

BB30
11-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Eh, that may be part of the problem but our skill guys just aren't very good. O. Mitchell may be the only Power 5 talent we have out there as far as WRs go. The rest are sunbelt type players.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Eh, that may be part of the problem but our skill guys just aren't very good. O. Mitchell may be the only Power 5 talent we have out there as far as WRs go. The rest are sunbelt type players.

Zuber was KSU's best WR. I think it says more about our offense than just saying all our guys are Sunbelt type players.

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 12:59 PM
I'm starting to think James Franklin must've made sure his offensive personnel could block. Not sure Joe thinks that's an important aspect of the game.

ETA: That's Joe's 7-on-7 mentality. He might could be a good flag football coach. Well ... probably not.

I'm starting to think Franklin went through Joe's play book, took out what he wanted and told Joe that's your play book now. Five games in and the offense just "clicked"? We're twenty games in and all but a very few have been struggles to put points on the board.

dawgday166
11-19-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm starting to think Franklin went through Joe's play book, took out what he wanted and told Joe that's your play book now. Five games in and the offense just "clicked"? We're twenty games in and all but a very few have been struggles to put points on the board.

I can't disagree with you. Seems like some meeting of the minds happened at PSU. And the mind that mattered most would've been Franklin's. Franklin an offensive guy too.

Which is probably why Joe is so stubborn down here. He is going to stick with doing it his way since he probably wasn't allowed to totally do that before.

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 01:42 PM
I can't disagree with you. Seems like some meeting of the minds happened at PSU. And the mind that mattered most would've been Franklin's. Franklin an offensive guy too.

Which is probably why Joe is so stubborn down here. He is going to stick with doing it his way since he probably wasn't allowed to totally do that before.

Yeah, it's not about taking his "coaching pills". We had one of the most sound game plans of his tenure for the 2018 Auburn game. And strong rumor has it he had nothing to do with it.

dawgday166
11-19-2019, 01:45 PM
And strong rumor has it he had nothing to do with it.

After 2 years of this crap ... I tend to strongly believe that rumor. That would also explain why we never saw anything like that again.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 02:40 PM
After 2 years of this crap ... I tend to strongly believe that rumor. That would also explain why we never saw anything like that again.

Totally makes sense and he has been very adamant that "his" way was going to work.

tcdog70
11-19-2019, 07:18 PM

HUD plan