PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Discussion

Lord McBuckethead
11-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Man I will tell you what, we are looking good on the court. Of the 2000 people there yesterday, they got to see a basketball team that is playing pretty good team basketball. With Nick on the bench, I think it is forcing us to work the offense much more than just let a guy go in and try to create something. This could help us down the road against better defenses that could scheme to shut down a particular player.

Hopefully we can get some folks in the seats. Yesterday, there were more people in line for brunch than was in the Hump 5 minutes before game time. I am hoping the team keeps up the intensity, and when the time comes and the fans show up, they do not let us down. Seems like the past few years, the team starts building trust with the fanbase, and the moment we get 9k+ in the Hump, they lose a big game and everyone is like.....see, told ya.

Liverpooldawg
11-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Let's see what happens when the level of competition is a little better.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2019, 11:52 AM

It's always a caveat

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 01:06 PM
We are going to be very good defensively.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
11-18-2019, 01:12 PM

We have gotten better every year under Howland. We made the NCAA's for the first time in 10 years. We were a 5 seed in the tourney. Yes, the Liberty loss was disappointing but why not support this team? What more do you expect at a program like MSU? 2,000 people at any game is embarrassing.

Liverpooldawg
11-18-2019, 01:22 PM
We have gotten better every year under Howland. We made the NCAA's for the first time in 10 years. We were a 5 seed in the tourney. Yes, the Liberty loss was disappointing but why not support this team? What more do you expect at a program like MSU? 2,000 people at any game is embarrassing.

Who said I'm not supporting the team? Jeez this place is a trip. I was saying just wait till we see them against better opposition before setting big expectations.

hp22
11-18-2019, 01:57 PM
I think we have a high ceiling. And I am a fan of the way we attack the offensive glass. We are long and very athletic even down the first 2 or 3 off the bench. We cannot afford a long term injury and I want to see Nick work back into the rotation. That said, the potential is certainly there.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 02:33 PM
I hope Nick has been shooting a thousand 3's per day.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
I hope Nick has been shooting a thousand 3's per day.

He showed progress last year. He need to shoot at a 35-40% clip.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

We could make a tourney run if he can.

OLJWales
11-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Howland finally eclipsed the .500 mark in conf play last year. Top to bottom, there are at least 2 other conferences better than the SEC , maybe 3. Based on recruiting rankings, we've under performed overall but based on the Rick Ray years, we are WAY better. Which is good. I get that. I'm just hungry to see these recruiting rankings start to pay off on the court. That's not being overly negative and no one with an ounce of sense would won't him replaced. These recruiting rankings have just had me foaming at the bit and I wanna see a strong run this year. Nothing wrong with expecting that and being tired of waiting.

MCsMGs
11-18-2019, 10:18 PM

I think I'd rather see Reggie, Robert, Keyshawn or maybe DJ become solid 3 point threats (Tyson will have a number of games where he does that or better). My thinking is that Nick will break down defenses with his ability to get to the rim and with his mid range jumper. Defenses will collapse on him, opening up opportunities for everyone else.

Of course, adding a 3 ball to his repertoire wouldn't hurt anything!:cool:

smootness
11-18-2019, 11:36 PM
I think I'd rather see Reggie, Robert, Keyshawn or maybe DJ become solid 3 point threats (Tyson will have a number of games where he does that or better). My thinking is that Nick will break down defenses with his ability to get to the rim and with his mid range jumper. Defenses will collapse on him, opening up opportunities for everyone else.

Of course, adding a 3 ball to his repertoire wouldn't hurt anything!:cool:

He already added it to his repertoire last year. He shot 38% last year, that's plenty good. DJ can shoot and Woodard is showing a much improved shot as well. We seem fine from 3.

NCMSTFAN
11-19-2019, 04:31 PM
The attendance has been my complaint since last year. People say "if they win the fans will come". Well we went to the tournament as a 5 seed last season, we bring in high recruits and are off to a 4-0 start. Fans don't realize how much recruits and players look into the crowds to see who is watching. This team needs support

trojandawg
11-19-2019, 04:36 PM
i like the way we look. we play big man basketball now. that's just fine with me rather than trying to attempt 50 three pointers a game. I would much rather us play the old school big man 90's basketball and have a couple of deep ball shooters. I would much rather see us drive the lane and get the ball inside.

trojandawg
11-19-2019, 04:39 PM
it's never been that great pre christmas even in the Williams and Bury years. we also didn't have the sec network then. I highly doubt with starkville not be a high population area, that the stand will ever be full except for big games going forward. it's just the nature of the beast now. same with football. You will get it for first sec weekend, rivalry games, and big match-ups.

Liverpooldawg
11-19-2019, 06:16 PM
it's never been that great pre christmas even in the Williams and Bury years. we also didn't have the sec network then. I highly doubt with starkville not be a high population area, that the stand will ever be full except for big games going forward. it's just the nature of the beast now. same with football. You will get it for first sec weekend, rivalry games, and big match-ups.

It has never been good for these games, but it WAS a good bit better before Greg Byrne kicked the locals out and gave their tickets to big donors. Those folks only turn up for big games, and mostly big weekend games. Many are corporate and don't always put their tickets in MSU fan's hands. The locals we pretty much always there.

MCsMGs
11-19-2019, 08:14 PM
It has never been good for these games, but it WAS a good bit better before Greg Byrne kicked the locals out and gave their tickets to big donors. Those folks only turn up for big games, and mostly big weekend games. Many are corporate and don't always put their tickets in MSU fan's hands. The locals we pretty much always there.

I don't think that's the reason...there are plenty of good seats available to anyone that shows up at this point.

Ezsoil
11-19-2019, 09:45 PM
I don't think that's the reason...there are plenty of good seats available to anyone that shows up at this point.
Well that isn't entirely true....in years past, you could move to the better seats at the 8 minute mark of the first half....now with the mobile access, the good seats remain empty

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2019, 01:23 PM

They were checking tickets for the lower bowl after halftime Sunday afternoon. Seriously. We had maybe 1700 people in the building, and they are checking tickets with 14 minutes in the second half.
All fans should just move down low after tip off. That should always be the rule, in every game. If someone has your seats with a valid ticket, you have to move. It's not that god damn hard.

The good seats you are referring to, were behind the goal 3 rows from the top. That is, if they are checking tickets.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2019, 01:51 PM
They were checking tickets for the lower bowl after halftime Sunday afternoon. Seriously. We had maybe 1700 people in the building, and they are checking tickets with 14 minutes in the second half.
All fans should just move down low after tip off. That should always be the rule, in every game. If someone has your seats with a valid ticket, you have to move. It's not that god damn hard.

The good seats you are referring to, were behind the goal 3 rows from the top. That is, if they are checking tickets.

amen to that.

MCsMGs
11-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Agree 100% on allowing everyone to move down after 10 minutes. I'm just not sure that is the major reason people aren't showing up.

oompa
11-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Agree 100% on allowing everyone to move down after 10 minutes. I'm just not sure that is the major reason people aren't showing up.

As Ezsoil said, they are not going to allow people to move down anymore because of the mobile pass that they advertise constantly during the games.

I'm worried about baseball games. If they do this for the mid-week games, there will be nobody in the stands.