PDA

View Full Version : To the 7-6 Earns Him Year 3 Crowd

dantheman4248
11-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Here's some context for Saturday:

Moorhead has his QB that's been in his system. A grad transfer senior. Fully healthy.
Alabama has the weakest Saban defense ever.
There were multiple true freshmen out there everywhere for Bama on D.
Moorhead introduced new wrinkles for his offense.
Alabama's injuries extended to their QB. He left in the first half.
Alabama was coming off a loss. They do not crush SEC opponents after a loss.
MSU had a bye week to prepare.
Our defense allowed 3 points in the second half.

All that to say, Joe Moorhead just totally blew one of the best opportunities to beat Nick Saban coached Alabama that MSU has had. This is the weakest they have been since 2007. That team is quite frankly not very good and is skating by due to the fact that the West has only 1 good team and 1 half-good team (Auburn's offense is putrid).

If you still want him as coach, we will never contend for the West. If you can't put up more than 7 points against that, if you suffer our worst home loss vs. Bama since 2003 (and would have likely had an identical score had we not got lucky a defender face masked on a sack so it would have been 38-0 which ties for the worst loss in Starkville to Bama for us since the 1920's) You're not cut out for it plain and simple. This is a school that has been elevated to being in the top half of power 5 programs simply by being in the SEC. Our budget is astronomical compared to 40, 30, even 20 years ago. You would be hard pressed to name 40 better jobs than ours right now. Just beating Ole Miss and making a Liberty Bowl should be considered a bad year and not living up to the expectations of the program. Doing it in an SEC that is so down makes it doubly so.

How anyone can be in the "give him another year" camp is beyond me. You're being willfully ignorant of the change college football's landscape has gone under in favor of believing MSU's history is how it will always be. I hope you're the ones that are right about him because it's becoming clear we don't move on from him without a catastrophic loss to Ole Miss and I simply cannot root for that.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Moorhead's offense is great if you don't play a quality defense. He can beat up weak defenses better than most. If we played in the Sunbelt then Joe is your coach. He would probably win titles there.

If you took away the scores in garbage time "when the game's W/L is determined" then the offense is probably Croomesque.

DogsofAnarchy
11-18-2019, 12:45 PM
We are going 5-7. With an average Offense we would have won 10 or 11 last year. With an average offense we would be 6-4 going into this week. We are going 5-7 and no better. Time for the JoMo train to be nomo.

DeputyDawg94
11-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Every game he coaches and every practice he has digs the hole a little deeper that the next coach has to try and climb out of. If Joe is given another year it will be a legitimate 4 year rebuild for the next guy. Considering the talent that Joe walked into his coaching effect may be worse than Morris’s.

Mjoelner34
11-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Every game he coaches and every practice he has digs the hole a little deeper that the next coach has to try and climb out of. If Joe is given another year it will be a legitimate 4 year rebuild for the next guy. Considering the talent that Joe walked into his coaching effect may be worse than Morris’s.

^^^THIS^^^ And the pool of quality coaches you would be able to attract will get smaller and smaller with each turn of Moorhead's shovel until we are forced to hope we can catch lightning in a bottle with a top-notch coordinator hire right after we proved to ourselves that just because the label on the bottle says lightning, it doesn't mean there is any in bottle.

Johnson85
11-18-2019, 01:33 PM
There is no 7-6 as far as coaching decisions are concerned. He is either going to have his job or not the Monday after the egg bowl (or maybe the Friday after with the December signing deadline approaching) when he will be 6-6 or 5-7.

I don't think you will see many coaches fired after the December signing deadline.

confucius say
11-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Shockingly, his coach effect is +2 right now, which ranks towards the top of the league. I was shocked to hear that from bartoo. Coach effect is just a formula that is comprised of talent (recruiting) rankings and location of the game. I?m not a huge recruiting rankings guy though, so I dont give this much weight.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Shockingly, his coach effect is +2 right now, which ranks towards the top of the league. I was shocked to hear that from bartoo. Coach effect is just a formula that is comprised of talent (recruiting) rankings and location of the game. I?m not a huge recruiting rankings guy though, so I dont give this much weight.

How does it come up with this? If you just took the players returning along with the schedule, I would think Moorhead was easily -2 last year and -2 this year also.

msstate7
11-18-2019, 01:50 PM
How does it come up with this? If you just took the players returning along with the schedule, I would think Moorhead was easily -2 last year and -2 this year also.

Strictly recruiting rankings. Moorhead got a +1 from beating OM last year. Bartoo is a clown. At some point, you gave to use your eyes too, not just a computer

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Strictly recruiting rankings. Moorhead got a +1 from beating OM last year. Bartoo is a clown. At some point, you gave to use your eyes too, not just a computer

Any keyboard jockey on this message board should have been able to take the 2018 MSU team and beat the shit out of the 2018 UM team. I don't understand how winning that game did anything. We had the better roster last year than everyone but Bama and maybe LSU (and that is up for debate) that we paid.

hp22
11-18-2019, 02:10 PM
For any of the pro Moorhead crowd:

1. What in our football program makes you want to invest at the current moment?
2. Do you have confidence we're not having this same discussion in mid October next year?

It is hard for me to find something to invest in at the moment. And I think we will be in the same situation next year.

MedDawg
11-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Objectively, it's possible. Last year's schedule (#11 SOS) was tougher than any Mullen faced other than 2009, and we finished #8 in the final 2018 Sagarin rankings. Right now we have the #2 SOS, and that probably helps Moorhead in objective rankings too.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Objectively, it's possible. Last year's schedule (#11 SOS) was tougher than any Mullen faced other than 2009, and we finished #8 in the final 2018 Sagarin rankings. Right now we have the #2 SOS, and that probably helps Moorhead in objective rankings too.

Last year's schedule was improved by UK having a great team and UF getting back to form, we should have won both of those games with a competent offense. Bama was the only sure loss on that schedule. With a National Title level defense and a top 40 returning offense (should have improved Fitz's senior year with that Oline), we should have been a 10 win regular season team.

I don't care how tough your overall SOS is, when every tough game is over in the first quarter, that is really 17ing pathetic. I could understand if we were losing shootouts due to the suspensions and lack of returning D but we are mostly having very Croom like games with a total lack of offense.

Captain Falcon
11-18-2019, 02:35 PM
At 6-6 (the bowl game matters not, we won’t fire a coach simply because he lost a bowl game) I just don’t think it’s bad enough to fire him yet. It’s not going to generate much excitement, but it’s still not what I would call a total disaster. I don’t know, I’m pretty confident these conversations will be had again next year. But he probably has to lose a little bit more for us to be in a position where we would fire him. Coaching changes are a gamble and there’s no guarantee we would improve if we made a coaching change after a bowl appearance.

Probably not what many of you want to hear, but we feel stuck in a middle ground of not enough winning to please the fans and not enough losing to justify firing him after two years. You can throw a fit on the internet all you want, but my gut says prepare for him to get a Year 3 unless we get crushed on Thanksgiving night, and even then it might just be a maybe.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 02:51 PM
At 6-6 (the bowl game matters not, we won’t fire a coach simply because he lost a bowl game) I just don’t think it’s bad enough to fire him yet. It’s not going to generate much excitement, but it’s still not what I would call a total disaster. I don’t know, I’m pretty confident these conversations will be had again next year. But he probably has to lose a little bit more for us to be in a position where we would fire him. Coaching changes are a gamble and there’s no guarantee we would improve if we made a coaching change after a bowl appearance.

Probably not what many of you want to hear, but we feel stuck in a middle ground of not enough winning to please the fans and not enough losing to justify firing him after two years. You can throw a fit on the internet all you want, but my gut says prepare for him to get a Year 3 unless we get crushed on Thanksgiving night, and even then it might just be a maybe.

Does moving the offense from 40 to 60 to 80 not do enough along with losing games he should win? I don't know how anyone watches AU, UT, A&M, LSU, and Bama and thinks we should give the guy over this team another year.

To me, UT was strike 1,2, and 3. That was as embarrassing a fan experience as anything Croom did. It says something that Moorhead had to use his daughter crying in his press conference to deflect how shitty an overall coaching and playing performance it was. The thing of it was the beginning of AU was just as bad. As was A&M. At least the defense came to play at the beginning of the LSU game although that defense hasn't shutdown anyone except us this year.

These offensive performances are very much reminiscent of watching the Croom Coast offense. Occasionally beating the shit out of an Ark team who has already quit doesn't do much for me.

MadDawg
11-18-2019, 03:24 PM
"You can't wait around at MSU and expect things to just get better. It doesn't work that way. We have seen this before, and ****** isn't just going to suddenly regain that fire and have us on a mission to win 9-10 games. The writing is on the wall, but you can choose to ignore it if you want. That's fine. But I will not, and I think there's several more that won't either."

"What I'm really hoping is for ******* to find a new job shortly and not be fired cause he is in a losing situation as of today. Damn how things have changed so quickly"

NAME THAT YEAR?

RougeDawg
11-18-2019, 03:27 PM
We are going 5-7. With an average Offense we would have won 10 or 11 last year. With an average offense we would be 6-4 going into this week. We are going 5-7 and no better. Time for the JoMo train to be nomo.

Where are all of the people who attacked me last November when I said SloMo was at minimum a -2 wins in 2018? They kept blaming Fitz and saying I had no clue what I was talking about. SloMo told me who he was during the 2018 Kentucky game. The Florida game confirmed it. Abandoning the Auburn game plan after it worked, cemented it into irrefutable evidence.

Everything was there for those who chose to see the reality. The fact that so few did that early, somewhat explains why our football program and athletic department are where they are. The bottom of the SEC in almost every measurable category. The Aw Shucks, we are doing as well as we can expect because we are Mississippi State, attitudes are the main reason for all of this. Time for losers and the loser mentalities to take a back seat and start letting winners make the decisions. That includes being able to quickly recognize when your ship is taking on water. Winners do not wait until the ship is beyond saving, instead of making quick decisions that could keep it afloat and salvageable.

confucius say
11-18-2019, 03:43 PM

He got a +1 for auburn in 2018 and a +1 for Aggie in 2018. They were both top 12 recruiters and we were like 24-25.

Like this year vs TN we all are like what the hell, but TN has way outrecruited is and was at home so joe did not get a -1 for that loss. He did get one for Kansas state this year though

confucius say
11-18-2019, 03:46 PM
For any of the pro Moorhead crowd:

1. What in our football program makes you want to invest at the current moment?
2. Do you have confidence we're not having this same discussion in mid October next year?

It is hard for me to find something to invest in at the moment. And I think we will be in the same situation next year.

Is anybody on here still pro Joe?

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 04:19 PM
For me, it's not that Joe's results haven't roused serious concerns going forward, but who in the world would we hire that's not going to disappoint. Two unsuccessful coaching hires at MSU, back to back, and the program is six feet under.

redstickdawg
11-18-2019, 04:28 PM

And anyone that is worried about recruits is barking up the wrong tree. Joe could have the top rated class in the country and do no better than 9-3. If y'all hadn't noticed the team, atmosphere and everything else about the football program is going backwards to Croomtastic territory.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-19-2019, 10:36 AM
"You can't wait around at MSU and expect things to just get better. It doesn't work that way. We have seen this before, and ****** isn't just going to suddenly regain that fire and have us on a mission to win 9-10 games. The writing is on the wall, but you can choose to ignore it if you want. That's fine. But I will not, and I think there's several more that won't either."

"What I'm really hoping is for ******* to find a new job shortly and not be fired cause he is in a losing situation as of today. Damn how things have changed so quickly"

NAME THAT YEAR?

2013?

Cannot be 2008 since we knew Croom would have to go multiple seasons to win “9-10” in some years

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Moorhead's offense is great if you don't play a quality defense. He can beat up weak defenses better than most. If we played in the Sunbelt then Joe is your coach. He would probably win titles there.

If you took away the scores in garbage time "when the game's W/L is determined" then the offense is probably Croomesque.

Sunbelt huh? Don't alot of people want Napier?