PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds this morning taking about balance

cheewgumm
11-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Hopefully our fans were listening. Talking about how people get over concerned that a QB can throw, when he can do something else really well - see Plumlee and Fitz.

Balance is overrated.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 10:56 AM
I don’t agree. Ideally you want someone that can run and throw because it’s easier to defend just one aspect over the long haul.

Would you rather have Dak or Fitzgerald?

msstate7
11-18-2019, 10:58 AM
I don’t agree. Ideally you want someone that can run and throw because it’s easier to defend just one aspect over the long haul.

Would you rather have Dak or Fitzgerald?

Dak excelled in both. The better comparison would be do you want one that's avg at both or one that's great at one and below avg in the other

cheewgumm
11-18-2019, 11:00 AM
I agree in an ideal situation, but if he can do one you don?t force the other. You adjust until Dak comes along.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Dak excelled in both. The better comparison would be do you want one that's avg at both or one that's great at one and below avg in the other

I agree in an ideal situation, but if he can do one you don?t force the other. You adjust until Dak comes along.

You said balance is overrated. I’m pointing out that it’s not and Bo’s take is stupid.

Especially when you actually look at the stats and compare Ole Miss’s offense to ours. The numbers are very close- and we’ll probably pass them this weekend in PPG and passing. And before you claim that it’s a FCS opponent and go there remember Ole Miss played one too- which is currently included in their stats.

Irondawg
11-18-2019, 11:24 AM
OM's offensive production has been odd. They look awful for long stretches and then unstoppable for other stretches.

Oddly enough their offense is really more what Moorhead wants his offense to look like in that it's creating a ton of explosive plays. I think they had 5-7 plays (mostly runs) of over 40 yards against LSU which is insane. What's even more odd is their success running the ball behind on OL that everyone thought would be awful.

I do think that Fitz and Plumlee are proving that it's better to be great at something and below average at the other than be avg at both.

tcdog70
11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Plumlee actually has decent wrs. Something that Fitz only had as a Soph (and he was SEC total offense leader). Moore from Ole Miss is a very good wideout. Fitz might have looked way better with SEC wide outs.

Matt3467
11-18-2019, 12:10 PM
The issue is coaching. We knew what Fitz was capable of which is why we were all shocked by how horrid he played last year. Dan Mullen pulled the potential out of Fitz. Jo couldn't do it.

trojandawg
11-18-2019, 12:33 PM
GT sure made us look silly with that triple option in the Orange Bowl. ran it right down our throat for four quarters. don't have to do both really well to excel. if you can do the one really well then you can go a long way. Just like Washington State and the air raid. I'd be perfectly fine with me to use the QB's we had on roster and use their skills to the best of their ability and adapting to that rather than bringing in tommy boy.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 01:58 PM
GT sure made us look silly with that triple option in the Orange Bowl. ran it right down our throat for four quarters. don't have to do both really well to excel. if you can do the one really well then you can go a long way. Just like Washington State and the air raid. I'd be perfectly fine with me to use the QB's we had on roster and use their skills to the best of their ability and adapting to that rather than bringing in tommy boy.

One dimensional can work. Being able to do both is better over the long run.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 05:50 PM
One dimensional can work. Being able to do both is better over the long run.

Stop being extreme. He didn't say one-dimensional. He said balance is over-rated. And it is

You don't get Dak's very often so a better comparison is Fitz vs Stevens. You take Fitz every time. Fitz is great at something- Stevens is not. Give Fitz Ross and Bear plus the other Fred and Fitz is in the Heisman race as Dak was.

Plumlee will get better and better throwing the football- but he is GREAT running the football. They put 600 yards on LSU. Their offense was good enough to beat LSU- they just simply couldn't stop LSU's offense enough to make it a close game. Give me a guy that is great at something and we can improve the rest in time.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Stop being extreme. He didn't say one-dimensional. He said balance is over-rated. And it is

You don't get Dak's very often so a better comparison is Fitz vs Stevens. You take Fitz every time. Fitz is great at something- Stevens is not. Give Fitz Ross and Bear plus the other Fred and Fitz is in the Heisman race as Dak was.

Plumlee will get better and better throwing the football- but he is GREAT running the football. They put 600 yards on LSU. Their offense was good enough to beat LSU- they just simply couldn't stop LSU's offense enough to make it a close game. Give me a guy that is great at something and we can improve the rest in time.

Absolutely ... no freakin doubt.

Fitz can make the throws and his receivers had so many more drops than Dak's did it's ridiculous. But his receivers also couldn't get separation like Dak's could so Fitz would obey rule #1 as a QB ... take care of the ball. Either throw it where your guy might get it (which they never did) or throw it away and live to play another down. Dak did read Ds better than Fitz did tho.

Fitz was a superior runner than Dak. Use that threat with Aeris in backfield to set up plays where WRs can get open and Fitz can hit them.

Fitz owned TAM, owned OM and would've beat LSU 2 times in his career with right coach last year. Took Bama to the mat too. Dak, as much as I love him, didn't do those things. I will say tho Dak played when SEC W was a tougher division.

msstate7
11-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Absolutely ... no freakin doubt.

Fitz can make the throws and his receivers had so many more drops than Dak's did it's ridiculous. But his receivers also couldn't get separation like Dak's could so Fitz would obey rule #1 as a QB ... take care of the ball. Either throw it where your guy might get it (which they never did) or throw it away and live to play another down. Dak did read Ds better than Fitz did tho.

Fitz was a superior runner than Dak. Use that threat with Aeris in backfield to set up plays where WRs can get open and Fitz can hit them.

Fitz owned TAM, owned OM and would've beat LSU 2 times in his career with right coach last year. Took Bama to the mat too. Dak, as much as I love him, didn't do those things. I will say tho Dak played when SEC W was a tougher division.

To be fair, senior dak didn't have an Aeris like fitz had. Aeris was extremely underrated

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 06:29 PM
To be fair, senior dak didn't have an Aeris like fitz had. Aeris was extremely underrated

True dat. Senior Dak was much better as a passer. Over summer he made huge strides in being more accurate and in his ability to make all the throws, as well as his ability to read Ds so well. It was all on his arm his senior year. His Oline wasn't as good as Fitz's junior year either. Offensive savant regressed the Oline for Fitz' senior year.

Senior Fitz didn't have Aeris either ... the offensive savant took that away from Fitz. Fitz was never as comfortable in pocket with Hill's Ole' blocks as he was with Aeris' ability to keep those blitzers off of him. That combo could've really done something pretty special IMO if managed well like any decent coach with half a brain could have. Aeris was extremely underrated as you say.

He might be "dumb" and we may have gotten the "better hire" but I think Pruitt himself could've done something with last year's team. Better than our savant. But ... I'm thrilled to have Joe *****

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 07:30 PM

Actually in his tweet he said it doesn?t matter. Take from that what you will. Chewgumm said it was overrated. Speaking of overrated- yards per game which doesn?t really matter much and can be misleading.

Stevens isn?t really a great comparison either because he isn?t a balanced player himself. Of course you take a guy that can do one thing well over someone that does nothing well. But you can?t sit there and say that you want someone that does one thing really well over someone that does both because the guy that can do both forces you to defend both.

Our offense isn?t balanced at all as it is- 245 pass attempts compared to 409 rush attempts with a large discrepancy in yards between the two isn?t balanced. It?s a silly comparison that?s meant to get a reaction because most people don?t realize that Ole Miss is only averaging one more PPG than us. And that?s likely to change on Saturday.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 07:48 PM
It?s a silly comparison that?s meant to get a reaction because most people don?t realize that Ole Miss is only averaging one more PPG than us. And that?s likely to change on Saturday.

OM has a very young offense that starts 3 Sr's and 3 true freshmen. Had they gone with Plumlee out the gate their offensive stats would be even better. They get better each week as an offense.

We start all Jr's and Sr's on offense unless Shrader starts. We are as veteran as it gets on offense. The fact that they do anything better than us with our offensive Guru as HC is a disgrace. They are 28th in the country in TO and we are 72nd. They move the ball well they have just had some problems scoring consistently because of youth. We have trouble moving the ball period. That's ridiculous.

Maroonthirteen
11-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Bounds said MacIntrye is the best college coach in Mississippi this year.

OM ranks 83 in total defense which is 12th in the sec. in addition, State and USM rank higher in total Defense.

Bounds said State would get boat raced by kentucky and picked us to lose To Arkansas. Also said we may score 21 points this weekend.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 08:41 PM

OM ranks 83 in total defense which is 12th in the sec. in addition, State and USM rank higher in total Defense.

Bounds said State would get boat raced by kentucky and picked us to lose To Arkansas. Also said we may score 21 points this weekend.

He’s a dumb version of Paul Finebaum.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Best definition of balance I've heard was from Morris Watts. He said balance isn't 50/50 run to pass. Balance is being able to pass when they take away the run or vice versa.

Coach34
11-18-2019, 09:42 PM

OM is 62nd in Scoring D this year- they were 113 in Scoring D last year. Mac has done a good job improving them on D. Not sure why you guys have trouble accepting facts

sandjunky
11-18-2019, 09:46 PM
OM is 62nd in Scoring D this year- they were 113 in Scoring D last year. Mac has done a good job improving them on D. Not sure why you guys have trouble accepting facts
It’s because it’s ole miss which tends to bring out the irrational emotions of a 13 yr old

Maroonthirteen
11-19-2019, 06:04 AM

They returned 8 starters on defense. I gave some facts. Sure they are improved on defense from rock bottom last year. But that wasn?t the point.

Point is ....?hopefully our fans are listening...?. So we are taking direction from Bounds? Bounds says things everyday that are exaggerated opinion to drive listeners but aren?t necessarily true.

timotheus
11-19-2019, 06:21 AM
Bo is about ratings first and foremost. That is why we accomplish nothing by paying any attention to him.

Ari Gold
11-19-2019, 08:27 AM
McIntyre has done a very good job with that def but damn it had no where to go but up ..
also they have 4-5 Sr DL and a couple of Sr Dbs as well. They arent a young defense
They Gave up almost 60 to LSU. 38 to mizzu . Almost 60 to Bama .

And with the (close games) talk ..
Halftime scores were as followed
31-7 LSU
38-10 Bama
Yes they competed ( unlike we have ) in the second half and yes Plumlee is one helluva of an athlete..
It just strange tho if you talk to a few of the OM faithful and look at some of their message boards 3/4 of them want RR gone. And last year as Longo basically lead the league in offense they wanted him gone as well...

They may very beat our ass, hold us to less than 21 and put up 40 ..
But again this is a ****ing 4 win team that will be coming here in about a week.
Listening to some of our fans, OM is in the hunt for a playoff spot

One thing we do know next Thursday is the last game OM plays .. unless they can back door into a 5-7 bowl like Dan did.
Our guys should be a little extra motivated for that 6th win. But who knows... The head coach better be or it will be his last one here ..

Ari Gold
11-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Bo is about ratings first and foremost. That is why we accomplish nothing by paying any attention to him.

Very accurate... remember this is the guy that said Kevin Sumlin was the next big thing ..
I don’t listen to the show , but from twitter it looks like Coach O winning at LSU has really gotten under his skin

basedog
11-19-2019, 08:48 AM
McIntyre has done a very good job with that def but damn it had no where to go but up ..
also they have 4-5 Sr DL and a couple of Sr Dbs as well. They arent a young defense

31-7 LSU
38-10 Bama
Yes they competed ( unlike we have ) in the second half and yes Plumlee is one helluva of an athlete..
It just strange tho if you talk to a few of the OM faithful and look at some of their message boards 3/4 of them want RR gone. And last year as Longo basically lead the league in offense they wanted him gone as well...

But again this is a ****ing 4 win team that will be coming here in about a week.

One thing we do know next Thursday is the last game OM plays .. unless they can back door into a 5-7 bowl like Dan did.
Our guys should be a little extra motivated for that 6th win. But who knows... The head coach better be or it will be his last one here ..

Very well laid out Ari. I think the Egg Bowl will be a wild emotional game, it's hard to predict, let's hope we can score against a poor defensive team, they will put up around 30 points or more.

msstate7
11-19-2019, 08:55 AM
I don't really get the "OM is a 4-win team"... well, we are too. The only difference between them and us is we played a lesser G5 team and won. Had we switched ULL for Memphis, we have the same record.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 08:57 AM

31-7 LSU
38-10 Bama

I think just like almost every year, you can throw out the record book when it comes to the Egg Bowl. The team that wants it more usually wins it and it isn't always the best team.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 09:00 AM
I don't really get the "OM is a 4-win team"... well, we are too. The only difference between them and us is we played a lesser G5 team and won. Had we switched ULL for Memphis, we have the same record.

I will say that UK is the best team that either of us have beaten but UK also wouldn't have the record they have now without moving Bowden to QB. Moorhead has definitely leveled the playing field in the wrong direction while RR and McIntyre have moved UM in the right direction.

Ari Gold
11-19-2019, 09:10 AM

That’s my point , It has nothing to do with US. Both teams have 4 wins , both teams aren’t good..

the point is I have never seen a 4 win team get as much love on here than OM has..
When OM fans make their silly statement that State fans are obsessed with them , this makes their argument..

msstate7
11-19-2019, 09:12 AM
That?s my point , It has nothing to do with US. Both teams have 4 wins , both teams aren?t good..

the point is I have never seen a 4 win team get as much love on here than OM has..
When OM fans say State fans are obsessed with them , this makes their argument..

If what homedawg says is correct about the egg bowl being an ultimatum for Moorhead, go OM. I want Moorhead gone

Maroonthirteen
11-19-2019, 09:37 AM
When OM fans make their silly statement that State fans are obsessed with them , this makes their argument..

With football, both fan bases always see the OM cup as half full and States cup half empty. Bounds even stated that last week. Saying OM fans are usually optimistic and State fans pessimistic. I would 100% agree with that take.

basedog
11-19-2019, 12:55 PM
If what homedawg says is correct about the egg bowl being an ultimatum for Moorhead, go OM. I want Moorhead gone

Figures

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 01:01 PM
With football, both fan bases always see the OM cup as half full and States cup half empty. Bounds even stated that last week. Saying OM fans are usually optimistic and State fans pessimistic. I would 100% agree with that take.

It is because we have had enough 2014, 2015, and 2017 type of games where we should win but then we lay down. We rarely win when we are the favorite.

louisvilledawg
11-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Very accurate... remember this is the guy that said Kevin Sumlin was the next big thing ..
I don?t listen to the show , but from twitter it looks like Coach O winning at LSU has really gotten under his skin

Yeah for years he talked about how Coach O was shitty and not the answer at LSU. He's eating big time crow.

msstate7
11-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Figures

1 game is not worth letting Moorhead continue to destroy our program. We won the egg, yay! We go 4-8 next season if we keep joe

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 01:11 PM

31-7 LSU
38-10 Bama

You say what I want to say so much better than I do.

basedog
11-19-2019, 01:16 PM
1 game is not worth letting Moorhead continue to destroy our program. We won the egg, yay! We go 4-8 next season if we keep joe

He may be gone regardless, I want him gone but I also pull for our football players and all other student athletes. How could anyone can pull against the guys on the field is beyond me.

msstate7
11-19-2019, 01:23 PM
He may be gone regardless, I want him gone but I also pull for our football players and all other student athletes. How could anyone can pull against the guys on the field is beyond me.

I see it differently. I find a mass on my kidney, and I'm willing to cut it off/take the kidney/whatever, no matter how painful bc I know it's for my best long term. Moorhead is a malignant tumor on our football program, and some pain in meantime is worth getting rid of him.

This analogy makes the point I'm trying to make, but state football is no where near as serious as life/death so don't think I'm saying it is

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 01:31 PM

I think he is gone no matter what happens in the EB. His friends in the business have stated publicly on SXM that he's not happy in Starkville. "He looks defeated." is a direct quote. Joe wants to finish 6-6 for resume purposes. Programs like Illinois, UMass and BC will take him b/c of Penn State not Mississippi State.

Todd4State
11-19-2019, 01:44 PM

I don’t blame the players for being poorly coached.

basedog
11-19-2019, 01:49 PM
I don’t blame the players for being poorly coached.

Me neither, I just hope they play hard every play and stay healthy. If guys don't play hard and IF they hope we lose what does that say regardless who their Coach may be?

basedog
11-19-2019, 01:56 PM
I see it differently. I find a mass on my kidney, and I'm willing to cut it off/take the kidney/whatever, no matter how painful bc I know it's for my best long term. Moorhead is a malignant tumor on our football program, and some pain in meantime is worth getting rid of him.

This analogy makes the point I'm trying to make, but state football is no where near as serious as life/death so don't think I'm saying it is

Football is a game and a sport, your health is way more important, comparing Joe to "cancer" is pretty sick imo.

I don't take football nearly as serious as many.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Football is a game and a sport, your health is way more important, comparing Joe to "cancer" is pretty sick imo.

I don't take football nearly as serious as many.

People actually say "a cancer in the locker room" so maybe don't take it so seriously. It is similar to Oakland getting rid of AB. He might be a great WR but he was damaging that locker room. Joe seems to be tearing down our foundation of hard work and relentless effort so he is "a cancer" to our program.

trojandawg
11-19-2019, 02:38 PM

31-7 LSU
38-10 Bama

i don't think it's so much a verdict on them as much as it is a verdict on us. how many games have we looked like a competent football team? especially on offense or defense for that matter. i don't think they are a playoff team. I honestly think had we played the same schedule as them we would also be a four win team. they would probably be a 5 win team had they played the same schedule as us. against common opponents they played much better. our defense does not match up well with their offense. Our offense only matches up well with teams like arkansas that don't have much of a defense period. They are playing pretty well against the run which is our strength. We don't pass very well either despite what people think with Tommy in the game. They are also the tougher team based on watching both teams play. they know what they want to do on offense while we don't. that doesn't bode well for you going in to a game. The one game we have won since mid september was against a team who had quit. It's not as much as a verdict on ole miss as it is on us as team and where we are.

tcdog70
11-19-2019, 04:54 PM
speaking of Fitz last year. it is my humble opinion that if we ran the Relf offense with a blocking full-back, That with the A-train and Fitz running the ball and dinking and dumping we would have won 10-11 games. By keeping it simple and playing field position football our defense would have won us most games. why have 3 wideouts if they are all shitty? trade one in for a blocking fullback.

Todd4State
11-20-2019, 01:16 AM
i don't think it's so much a verdict on them as much as it is a verdict on us. how many games have we looked like a competent football team? especially on offense or defense for that matter. i don't think they are a playoff team. I honestly think had we played the same schedule as them we would also be a four win team. they would probably be a 5 win team had they played the same schedule as us. against common opponents they played much better. our defense does not match up well with their offense. Our offense only matches up well with teams like arkansas that don't have much of a defense period. They are playing pretty well against the run which is our strength. We don't pass very well either despite what people think with Tommy in the game. They are also the tougher team based on watching both teams play. they know what they want to do on offense while we don't. that doesn't bode well for you going in to a game. The one game we have won since mid september was against a team who had quit. It's not as much as a verdict on ole miss as it is on us as team and where we are.

Here's the thing:

Would you rather have Plumlee or Shrader? Ole Miss is actually playing their best option at QB and we're not because Joe is playing favorites.

As it is- give me Shrader for the simple fact that he can throw and run. Speaking of balance. I think some people have forgotten a little bit about Shrader because he has been sitting because of his Tommy Stevens injury.

QuadrupleOption
11-20-2019, 03:21 PM
I don't care about balance. I care about offensive efficiency, and I care about scoring points. We suck at those last two.