PDA

View Full Version : media smells blood in the water.....

coastratdog
11-18-2019, 09:37 AM
I know it's a CL article but hard to argue with it.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2019/11/17/mississippi-state-football-joe-moorhead-signs-regression-college-football/4217390002/

MadDawg
11-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Auburn 56, Mississippi State 23.

LSU 36, Mississippi State 13.

Alabama 38, Mississippi State 7.

That's a combined score of 130-43

Mullen's last season, when we finished 9-4, we lost to these three teams 117-41. Is that really that much better? The year before that Mullen lost to these teams 112-37. I mean, seriously, perspective?

Churchill
11-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Well this ought to help with recruiting **

msstate7
11-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Mullen's last season, when we finished 9-4, we lost to these three teams 117-41. Is that really that much better? The year before that Mullen lost to these teams 112-37. I mean, seriously, perspective?

We beat LSU 37-7 in 2017, and lost by 7 to bama. Why you lie?

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 10:02 AM

You need to check that 2017 info - we were 1-2 against those 3, and were outscored 87-71

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 10:04 AM

That’s not correct. Like MS7 said we beat LSU in 2017 (played them 23-20 in loss in 2016) and our point total against those 3 teams in 2017 was 87-71 against those teams in 2017. Way off. 31-24 tough loss to Bama in 2017 as well

MadDawg
11-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Yeah I'm an idiot. I had the LSU game backwards in 2017. 2016 was right, but I'm still an idiot. Forgive me.

msstate7
11-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Yeah I'm an idiot. I had the LSU game backwards in 2017. 2018 was right, but I'm still an idiot. Forgive me.

It happens

sbt45
11-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Found it interesting that this am Bo Bounds more or less said he thinks we’d move on from Joe with an egg bowl loss. I don’t think that’s an original opinion from Bo. My guess is it’s second hand information from big pocket booster(s). Everything is a rumor right now, but I hope he’s right.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Yeah I'm an idiot. I had the LSU game backwards in 2017. 2016 was right, but I'm still an idiot. Forgive me.

It's early on a Monday

gtowndawg
11-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Found it interesting that this am Bo Bounds more or less said he thinks we’d move on from Joe with an egg bowl loss. I don’t think that’s an original opinion from Bo. My guess is it’s second hand information from big pocket booster(s). Everything is a rumor right now, but I hope he’s right.

If we lose Egg Bowl, there's no way he stays. There's just no way. The school would essentially be telling fans "don't bother coming to games or even paying attention to football next year." If we lose the Egg Bowl and he's back, MSU football will literally be a black hole next season. The fans will revolt and I think the school knows it.

Cooterpoot
11-18-2019, 10:35 AM
These next two weeks you’re going to see and hear a lot about this kind of stuff.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 10:51 AM

No problem man. Happens to all of us

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Mullen made it a game at least most of the time. The A&M game is a prime example of Moorhead not having a clue how to attack a SEC defense. A&M is pretty mediocre as far as a team goes but we weren't in the game after the first quarter. Mullen had those type of games but it was against 10-11 win teams. Moorhead is having those games against 6-8 win teams. Where we were winning the Ark, UK, and A&M games most of the time, now those are at best toss ups.

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2019, 11:11 AM
I don't give a damn if we win the Egg. Joe has to go. I hate that damned small mindness of Oh.. He won the egg. So all is well. That's chickensh*t. Hell UM doesn't want to keep Luke so why should we celebrate beating a coach that may not be there next year.

I would like for us to continue the bowl streak but Screw having Joe around for it.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 11:17 AM
I don't give a damn if we win the Egg. Joe has to go. I hate that damned small mindness of Oh.. He won the egg. So all is well. That's chickensh*t. Hell UM doesn't want to keep Luke so why should we celebrate beating a coach that may not be there next year.

I would like for us to continue the bowl streak but Screw having Joe around for it.

This isn't wrong.

TrapGame
11-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Bo said we were keeping him three weeks ago. Even called the fan base foolish for thinking we'd get rid of a coach in year two.

These next two weeks you’re going to see and hear a lot about this kind of stuff.

Laying the ground work for a near certain separation I assume.

And isn't still strange the Rutgers job is still vacant? But that fits into my own conspiracy theory.

Johnson85
11-18-2019, 11:29 AM

It's not about winning the egg. It's about firing a coach coming off two straight bowl games. We have had a soft as baby shit schedule this year as far as getting to 6 wins, so it probably shouldn't matter as much as it does. But perception matters.

PMDawg
11-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Agree, but it's probably a moot point. Plumlee is going to destroy our "defense" unless Gay and Autry go nuts.

TrapGame
11-18-2019, 11:37 AM
It's not about winning the egg. It's about firing a coach coming off two straight bowl games. We have had a soft as baby shit schedule this year as far as getting to 6 wins, so it probably shouldn't matter as much as it does. But perception matters.

The perception is Moorhead walked into a stacked cupboard on a firm foundation. Two years later and he's rebuilding the program. He's in way over his head. This ain't the Patriot League.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Perception only matters if 1) we don't have a coach lined up 2) that coach then bombs. It would be a lot harder to fire the next guy if he is just winning 6 games and getting to bowls.

Now if we fire Joe after winning the Egg Bowl and then can't get guys to interview because of our "unrealistic expectations" that is a problem. It could lead to us overpaying to get someone similar to UM paying $1Mil for McGriff as a DC.

Bottom line is that we might have to sell the shitty job Moorhead has done to perspective coaches. We offer $4 Mil to Napier then he is probably coming unless he has a better offer.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Perception only matters if 1) we don't have a coach lined up 2) that coach then bombs. It would be a lot harder to fire the next guy if he is just winning 6 games and getting to bowls.

Now if we fire Joe after winning the Egg Bowl and then can't get guys to interview because of our "unrealistic expectations" that is a problem. It could lead to us overpaying to get someone similar to UM paying $1Mil for McGriff as a DC.

Bottom line is that we might have to sell the shitty job Moorhead has done to perspective coaches. We offer $4 Mil to Napier then he is probably coming unless he has a better offer.

Good points, I certainly hope that the current administration has had the foresight to gauge the interest of prospective coaches thru their agents by this point. If not, that just as bad as it gets.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Good points, I certainly hope that the current administration has had the foresight to gauge the interest of prospective coaches thru their agents by this point. If not, that just as bad as it gets.

Yep, we need the efficiency that Cohen had last time but hire a quality coach this time around. We need wins on the field rather than the press conference.

TNDawg35
11-18-2019, 12:00 PM
We’re not firing Joe guys... There is a reason a certain job is still open even tho the guy they supposedly wanted is sitting at home eating Cheetos and watching The office reruns...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2019, 12:01 PM
what happens if we win the Egg Bowl, but then get beat handily in the bowl game?

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 12:03 PM
what happens if we win the Egg Bowl, but then get beat handily in the bowl game?

Rinse and repeat.

Dolphus Raymond
11-18-2019, 12:06 PM
I am usually a "glass is half full" type of person, but I have seen about all I need to see. A loss in the Egg Bowl will about seal the deal for me.

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Two things there. You are exactly right. We HAVE to have someone lined up already if we are pulling the switch. With so many players signing early now in Dec. You don't want to be looking for a head coach then.
Next. Napier. or whoever that's the point. We can pay with the top 25 jobs in the land. Dan proved you can win at MSU. We jsut have to make the right hire..and it shouldn't be another coordinator.

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2019, 12:16 PM
what happens if we win the Egg Bowl.

FIFY
Joe get's fired.

That's the only solution that will work for us long term.

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Two things there. You are exactly right. We HAVE to have someone lined up already if we are pulling the switch. With so many players signing early now in Dec. You don't want to be looking for a head coach then.
Next. Napier. or whoever that's the point. We can pay with the top 25 jobs in the land. Dan proved you can win at MSU. We jsut have to make the right hire..and it shouldn't be another coordinator.

If there is not a replacement already in place before the trigger is pulled then we are negligent in the worst way. That would reek of infighting and unbelievable stubbornness.

trojandawg
11-18-2019, 12:27 PM
he has made quick work of a lot of defenses this year and our defense even with Gay and Autry and Murphy back is not even in the top 10 defenses in the league this year.

msstatelp1
11-18-2019, 12:49 PM

I think the shitty job perception is already out there. Any coach worth having can see where we were in 2017 and where we are now. Mullen proved that a coach can be successful here and stay as long as he wants or can move on to a more prestigious program if he wants.

Indndawg
11-18-2019, 12:54 PM

nope

DownwardDawg
11-18-2019, 01:02 PM

I agree 100%, and I was a Moorehead supporter. We?ve seen all we need to see. He can?t get it done here. Beating a sorry ole miss team does nothing to change that fact.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 01:05 PM
I think the shitty job perception is already out there. Any coach worth having can see where we were in 2017 and where we are now. Mullen proved that a coach can be successful here and stay as long as he wants or can move on to a more prestigious program if he wants.

This is key. Mullen proved that we can compete despite preconceived notions about MSU. Last year being underwhelming could be a real blessing too if we sell it right - "Look Coach X, last year we had the greatest running QB in SEC history, 2 NFL OL (probably 3 with Williams), the 2019 SEC rushing Leader, a TE on an NFL IR, 3 1st rounders on D, 2 defenders on practice squads, and a Safety who is on IR. All that NFL talent and Moorhead went 8-5. It ain't us - it was him."

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 01:10 PM
We beat LSU 37-7 in 2017, and lost by 7 to bama. Why you lie?

lol, he was so excited when he added those numbers up.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 01:43 PM

While making $4-6 Mil per year.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 01:46 PM
I agree 100%, and I was a Moorehead supporter. We?ve seen all we need to see. He can?t get it done here. Beating a sorry ole miss team does nothing to change that fact.

I was also a Moorhead supporter until the UT game. I don't think there is actually a single Moorhead supporter left. There are plenty of people that think we won't fire him or can't afford it and that is the extent of the people that think he should be the coach next year.

DeltaChicagoDog
11-18-2019, 02:00 PM
'We’re not firing Joe guys... There is a reason a certain job is still open even tho the guy they supposedly wanted is sitting at home eating Cheetos and watching The office reruns...'

Think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

TrapGame
11-18-2019, 02:15 PM
We’re not firing Joe guys... There is a reason a certain job is still open even tho the guy they supposedly wanted is sitting at home eating Cheetos and watching The office reruns...

Yep.

I will not be surprised when it's announced on Friday morning whether we win the EB or not that Moorhead has been named the new head coach at Rutgers. This makes both sides look good. He wanted to move on and so did we.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 02:19 PM
I was also a Moorhead supporter until the UT game. I don't think there is actually a single Moorhead supporter left. There are plenty of people that think we won't fire him or can't afford it and that is the extent of the people that think he should be the coach next year.

Well except the double naught guy that got banned. I think he is selling Moorehead on SPS now

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Well except the double naught guy that got banned. I think he is selling Moorehead on SPS now

That one is in a class by itself.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 02:28 PM

That guy was completely off the reservation though. There is only so long before you say that something happening repeatedly is an actual pattern. I will admit that I believed that Fitz just wasn't a fit for his offense and it would look different this year. Then you had people raving about Tommy throwing the ball and it was just reinforcing that the offense would finally look like he wanted it to. Now the few people that think that maybe it is on the WRs is just continuing to bury their head in the sand. If the offense requires NFL players then it wouldn't matter what kind of offense you run, it would be badass vs college players.

The fact is, Joe's offense is just too slow and possibly complicated to work on the speed that is the SEC defense. It might be badass when you have 4-6 seconds in the pocket every play and have a NFL RB but that isn't the case most of the time at MSU in SEC games. He is just a bad fit for us.

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Joe will NOT be fired if he wins the Eggbowl.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 02:30 PM
That one is in a class by itself.

Too true

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 02:32 PM
That guy was completely off the reservation though. There is only so long before you say that something happening repeatedly is an actual pattern. I will admit that I believed that Fitz just wasn't a fit for his offense and it would look different this year. Then you had people raving about Tommy throwing the ball and it was just reinforcing that the offense would finally look like he wanted it to. Now the few people that think that maybe it is on the WRs is just continuing to bury their head in the sand. If the offense requires NFL players then it wouldn't matter what kind of offense you run, it would be badass vs college players.

The fact is, Joe's offense is just too slow and possibly complicated to work on the speed that is the SEC defense. It might be badass when you have 4-6 seconds in the pocket every play and have a NFL RB but that isn't the case most of the time at MSU in SEC games. He is just a bad fit for us.

Off the reservation, off the charts, just completely off

Dawgology
11-18-2019, 04:25 PM

I don't think you will have to worry about that. They will win by 13+

Dawgology
11-18-2019, 04:27 PM

This exactly. I mean, with 30 5-star players any offense would work well. A coach at MSU has to know to adapt their offense to what they have not what they wish they had.

OLJWales
11-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Yep. Folks have to admit, at least for NOW, we are still in the "post Mullen " era and must do everything we can to avoid going back to the "pre- Mullen " era. We simply don't have to take this shit anymore as of now.

If I were a hot HC item, I'd take our gig over Tennessee or Arkansas and that's not just maroon colored glasses I'm looking thru. Top 25 classes with most of the recruits within short driving distance
have become a mainstay here and you don't have the pressure of having to be in the natty hunt every year while pocketing $4M + annually.

dawgday166
11-18-2019, 05:35 PM

We didn't lose to LSU Mullen's last season. We blew them out. We lost to GA, the SEC Champ. We lost to AU the SEC W Champ and Bama Natty Champ. That GA D was far better than most any D in CFB this year ... and it's not that close. Clemson or OSU may be close. That AU D is probably on a par with a top 5 D this year. No one in SEC has a D which is close to the 2017 GA or AU Ds.