PDA

View Full Version : Let?s take a poll - for you John

Cowbell
11-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Hey John, since we all know you read this board.

Poll: if John gives Joe another year (if you need an EB win/loss to make up your mind, don?t bother voting), who here thinks we should remove Cohen as AD?

Cowbell
11-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Send them both packing

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Poll: if John gives Joe another year (if you need an EB win/loss to make up your mind, don?t bother voting), who here thinks we should remove Cohen as AD?

Let's just base all athletic department decisions off the incoherent rambling of message boards. It has worked well for Tennessee and Arkansas

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Honest answer from me:

I don't think I would remove Cohen if he gives Joe another year.

That said, if Joe comes back- regardless of the Egg Bowl outcome- I want some answers in the end of the year press conference on how he is going to improve:

1. Getting the team prepared.
2. Cleaning up the sloppiness- not getting in plays quickly enough, not lining up correctly, and etc.
3. How he intends to fix special teams and S&C- of course there will be new coaches there or at least there should be.

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 10:38 PM
If Joe is coach in 2020 then the Bulldog Club doesn't need my money. I will probably also just sit at home for all the games. That will be the only way to make my voice heard.

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Let's just base all athletic department decisions off the incoherent rambling of message boards. It has worked well for Tennessee and Arkansas

Getting rid of an AD and a football coach at the same time is typically a recipe for disaster.

HailStateSZN19
11-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Honest answer from me:

That said, if Joe comes back- regardless of the Egg Bowl outcome- I want some answers in the end of the year press conference on how he is going to improve:

2. Cleaning up the sloppiness- not getting in plays quickly enough, not lining up correctly, and etc.
3. How he intends to fix special teams and S&C- of course there will be new coaches there or at least there should be.

Agree with this 100%.

Cowbell
11-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Getting rid of an AD and a football coach at the same time is typically a recipe for disaster.

Well what would you call what we are seeing take place now??

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-17-2019, 10:54 PM

No matter how the egg bowl goes, Joe Moorhead will still have a winning record at Mississippi State. I am not defending him, but if we fire a coach at MSU that has a winning record after 2 years, you can forget about ever getting anyone worth a crap to ever take the job. For example, Butch Jones name has come up for the Arkansas job. We would be in line for someone even worse.

DogsofAnarchy
11-17-2019, 11:00 PM
If we do not make a Bowl Game JoMo and his traveling shit show have to go go!! If John John doesn’t want to do his duty then he can go too.

Cowbell
11-17-2019, 11:03 PM
No matter how the egg bowl goes, Joe Moorhead will still have a winning record at Mississippi State. I am not defending him, but if we fire a coach at MSU that has a winning record after 2 years, you can forget about ever getting anyone worth a crap to ever take the job. For example, Butch Jones name has come up for the Arkansas job. We would be in line for someone even worse.

Simply not true.

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 11:05 PM

A situation that we can fix with a different football coach.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-17-2019, 11:10 PM
Simply not true.

Well since you say so, you have definitely changed my mind.

Bothrops
11-17-2019, 11:52 PM

You can call it a lot of things, but it's not a disaster.

Cowbell
11-18-2019, 12:05 AM
You can call it a lot of things, but it's not a disaster.

It very much is. Explain to me how this could be much worse.

Mobile Bay
11-18-2019, 12:22 AM
Clean house Cohen is incompetent.

NCDawg
11-18-2019, 01:17 AM
Simply not true.

It damn sure isn't.

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Cohen should probably be gone period. His tenure as AD has been amateur hour. From hiring a baseball coach who couldn't keep his dick in his pants, to running his mouth during the ensuing baseball search, to being made a fool because Schloss & his agent played him like a fiddle, to cutting marketing staff, to hiring Jughead, to the erosion of the fan experience...it's hard to make a case Cohen deserves to be in charge another day, regardless of whether he does the right thing and fires Moorhead in 2 weeks.

BhamDawg205
11-18-2019, 01:26 AM

Well I'd can Joe and make Napier and Norvell tell me no. In that order

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 02:48 AM
It very much is. Explain to me how this could be much worse.

We could have hired Chad Morris. It can always get much worse. This season will be better win wise than all of Croom's except for 2007 assuming we win homecoming.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 02:56 AM
Cohen should probably be gone period. His tenure as AD has been amateur hour. From hiring a baseball coach who couldn't keep his dick in his pants, to running his mouth during the ensuing baseball search, to being made a fool because Schloss & his agent played him like a fiddle, to cutting marketing staff, to hiring Jughead, to the erosion of the fan experience...it's hard to make a case Cohen deserves to be in charge another day, regardless of whether he does the right thing and fires Moorhead in 2 weeks.

Hey! At least he kept the compliance director that exhibits exemplary cooperation!**

I can't tell if he has cut the marketing budget or if he doesn't know a damn thing about it and our marketing people are lazy and taking advantage of the situation. Or both. His whole tenure seems like "Jimmy knows about marketing I'll just let him handle it" is the general attitude. But that's also part of the reason why those people wanted Cohen put in as AD in the first place from what I have heard.

And while we're at it- anyone remember the bowl game plane debacle last year before the Outback Bowl because we tried to go cheap and then the planes weren't able to fly? That really set the tone for that whole trip. We had an opportunity to show the Outback Bowl that we were a first class program and change their opinion of us and we went completely bush league redneck. Cost us a bowl practice or two if I recall as well. And cost our players some vacation time that they earned.

timotheus
11-18-2019, 07:26 AM
Cohen can change my opinion of him if he gets after Napier and Norvell. I like em in that order as well.

Randolph Dupree
11-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Joe needs to go this year regardless of the Egg Bowl outcome. We need to move while the market is good and we still have talent on the roster. If that doesn't happen I'm out regarding my money towards football. I will continue to support baseball through the Dugout club and donating to camps.

As far as Cohen goes, I'm less and less of a fan the longer this thing drags on BUT he gets another shot regardless of Joe going this year or next. I'm not as hard on him for the Cannizzaro hire because there's no way he could've foreseen the affair nor the other things that Cann was doing. Who, on here, prior to the affair thought Cann was a bad hire? Crickets. Bottom line is, all of these hires are a crap shoot. Joe was seen as a good hire at the time, one of the top up and coming assistants in the nation with head coaching experience (although it was at a small school). At the end of the day if you aren't making mistakes you aren't trying, the trick is to not make the same mistake twice.

All that said, if the reason we don't fire Joe this year is because the buyout is too much, then Cohen should get the axe because that's incompetence at your job. That's something he controls and would be an unforgivable sin.

shoeless joe
11-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Hiring jomo was a screw up that I’m surprised occurred....and it’s on Cohen. But he deserves the shot to correct that mistake. However, at this point not correcting it is worse than originally making it...so I’d hafta say if jomo isn’t gone before next season then jocoh should be on the chopping block as well.

OLJWales
11-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Agree with everything except Schloss, he didn't play us.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 09:03 AM

I'd really like to see someone with some real inside knowledge post on this. I have seen 2 posts (not on this board) over the past few months saying this isn't true - one from Bob Carskadon and one from Derek Cody. And year after year, our marketing department wins awards from the industry. What makes me also laugh about this idea is that you can find volumes on this board over the years complaining that Stricklin was only about marketing and that marketing was terrible - people complained about everything from hashtags to videos to billboards. So which way is it? Are we going to bitch about the AD who only does marketing, only then to bitch about the AD who doesn't seem to care? In reality, the only major change I have seen in marketing is that they have gotten away from longer format videos and the have de-emphasized football as the season has progressed (which when you suck, it makes sense). I could be wrong - but I follow all the social media channels, the youtube feeds, etc. and have seen little difference. In fact - I've gotten more direct marketing from the athletic department this year then any year in the past. So, what am I missing? I'm not trying to defend Cohen one way or the other - I just don't see any real evidence.

Randolph Dupree
11-18-2019, 10:42 AM
I'd really like to see someone with some real inside knowledge post on this. I have seen 2 posts (not on this board) over the past few months saying this isn't true - one from Bob Carskadon and one from Derek Cody. And year after year, our marketing department wins awards from the industry. What makes me also laugh about this idea is that you can find volumes on this board over the years complaining that Stricklin was only about marketing and that marketing was terrible - people complained about everything from hashtags to videos to billboards. So which way is it? Are we going to bitch about the AD who only does marketing, only then to bitch about the AD who doesn't seem to care? In reality, the only major change I have seen in marketing is that they have gotten away from longer format videos and the have de-emphasized football as the season has progressed (which when you suck, it makes sense). I could be wrong - but I follow all the social media channels, the youtube feeds, etc. and have seen little difference. In fact - I've gotten more direct marketing from the athletic department this year then any year in the past. So, what am I missing? I'm not trying to defend Cohen one way or the other - I just don't see any real evidence.

I think the perceived decline in marketing is about the lack of the videos. Pretty sure I was told that they cut the videos because it had something to do with the whole player likeness thing. Can't remember but I think somebody told me that videos over a certain length could no longer be produced because of a potential legal thing. Maybe I'm making that up though. My memory is getting terrible as I get older...

StateDawg44
11-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Yeah I'm sure Cann just forgot to put "Can't keep dick in pants" on his resume for Cohen.

I get the frustration with some choices maybe but to hold Cohen accountable for that is truly laughable.

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 11:53 AM
I think the perceived decline in marketing is about the lack of the videos. Pretty sure I was told that they cut the videos because it had something to do with the whole player likeness thing. Can't remember but I think somebody told me that videos over a certain length could no longer be produced because of a potential legal thing. Maybe I'm making that up though. My memory is getting terrible as I get older...

I don't think it was player likeness. I do know that they had some music licensing issues on social media that led to a couple of accounts being shut down - something that a number of programs have had to deal with. That whole process is pretty complicated and the music publishing companies have limited use in a lot of very expensive ways as they fight for royalties.

Something to look at RE: videos - we aren't the only school that has backed away from heavy long form video content - UGA has not posted a long form video to their youtube channel in 18 months. LSU's last longish (9 minutes) was 6 months ago. Bama hasn't posted any new content on youtube in 6 years. What schools seem to be discovering is that paid media and fans are filling that content gap (look at what Matt Wyatt is doing) so why invest the resources.

DeputyDawg94
11-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Honest answer from me:

^^^^ This
And I want specific answers. Not the typical coach speak bs chasing his tail in the front yard like a dog answers. I DO NOT want Mother Theresa inspirational quotes either. I have stopped watching or listening to any of his postgame or press conference ramblings because they are all the same and it pisses me off.

To answer the original question, not yet on Cohen but even if Joes goes 6-6 and beats OM by 35 he needs to go.

DogsofAnarchy
11-18-2019, 12:37 PM
We could have hired Chad Morris. It can always get much worse. This season will be better win wise than all of Croom's except for 2007 assuming we win homecoming.

So you are ok with going back to the Croom Era?