PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting comparisons

DeputyDawg94
11-17-2019, 02:47 PM
I?m in a Dallas motel room while my wife recovers from back surgery she had last week. Hopefully we get home Tuesday night and can get back to MS. I?ll be so happy to see Memphis. That?s not something I ever thought I?d say.
I?ve had plenty of time to sit around and look into this ?Joe is a good recruiter thing?. I fully understand that Joe has a much smaller sample size but I used what I had. All numbers are per 247.
Don averaged 26.7
Low of 41 in 2011
Highs of 18 in 2009 and 2015

Joe?s average is 24
That number is based off this years ranking as it is today. Probably will wind up somewhere between 25-30 on NSD.

Again, I know Joe has a much smaller sample size but, if he stays in the same range he?s been in since he got here is a 2-3 point bump in recruiting worth It?

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 02:53 PM
I?m in a Dallas motel room while my wife recovers from back surgery she had last week. Hopefully we get home Tuesday night and can get back to MS. I?ll be so happy to see Memphis. That?s not something I ever thought I?d say.
I?ve had plenty of time to sit around and look into this ?Joe is a good recruiter thing?. I fully understand that Joe has a much smaller sample size but I used what I had. All numbers are per 247.
Don averaged 26.7
Low of 41 in 2011
Highs of 18 in 2009 and 2015

Joe?s average is 24
That number is based off this years ranking as it is today. Probably will wind up somewhere between 25-30 on NSD.

Again, I know Joe has a much smaller sample size but, if he stays in the same range he?s been in since he got here is a 2-3 point bump in recruiting worth It?

Absolutely not. That's where Mullen recruited.

A 2/3 point bump is meaningless. You're within the margin of error of poor evaluations. Unless a coach gets us in the top 15 of recruiting rankings, below average coaching isn't going to be worth it

R2Dawg
11-17-2019, 03:09 PM
No recruiting rankings mean nothing. Olemiss has the recruiting NC banners. It is what you do with what you got. CDM didn't recruit big but they did develop pretty good. Saban could have took our team and Joe their's the other day and we would have won and Joe would have still lost. That is our problem.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 03:29 PM
No recruiting rankings mean nothing. Olemiss has the recruiting NC banners. It is what you do with what you got. CDM didn't recruit big but they did develop pretty good. Saban could have took our team and Joe their's the other day and we would have won and Joe would have still lost. That is our problem.

- Recruiting rankings do mean something. Can't believe people are still hanging on to the narrative that they don't
- If Moorhead had Saban's roster, I'm pretty sure we'd have won yesterday. Like, I'm certain

DeputyDawg94
11-17-2019, 03:46 PM
He’d have to stay in the 15 range or better to be a consistent 7 win coach because as we’ve seen he can beat lesser talent but if it’s equal or even slightly worse he can’t win. I really think he could take Auburn’s roster which should finish this year with 8-9 wins and turn them into a 6-7 win team. He definitely has a negative coach effect. Maybe he’s gone Friday after the egg bowl and we don’t have to worry about it any more.

MetEdDawg
11-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Ummmm...no. Saban is an all time great coach, but he has amassed more talent over the last decade than any other coach in the history of college football. Yes he's a great coach, but Moorhead would take Bama and still beat us. And THAT is why our problem is multi faceted and not nearly as easy to solve as just getting rid of a coach.

We are a Top 25-30 recruiter and if you can't see the talent difference across the board I can't help you. Our problem is that we have issues recruiting at an elite level AND we have the lowest revenue in the SEC AND we have to take chances on our HC hires because of that. THAT is our real problem.

timotheus
11-17-2019, 04:04 PM
I am of the opinion that if Joe has more talent that he is the best guy around to minimize the output. He's lost.

DeputyDawg94
11-17-2019, 04:32 PM
I am of the opinion that if Joe has more talent that he is the best guy around to minimize the output. He's lost.

Exactly

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Ummmm...no. Saban is an all time great coach, but he has amassed more talent over the last decade than any other coach in the history of college football. Yes he's a great coach, but Moorhead would take Bama and still beat us. And THAT is why our problem is multi faceted and not nearly as easy to solve as just getting rid of a coach.

We are a Top 25-30 recruiter and if you can't see the talent difference across the board I can't help you. Our problem is that we have issues recruiting at an elite level AND we have the lowest revenue in the SEC AND we have to take chances on our HC hires because of that. THAT is our real problem.

I agree somewhat but we have more talent than UM but we executed as well as Arkansas. That is 100% coaching.

MetEdDawg
11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
I agree somewhat but we have more talent than UM but we executed as well as Arkansas. That is 100% coaching.

Oh I don't disagree. I completely agree. That's why I think Moorhead needs to go.

But make no mistake. There are maybe 1-2 coaches in the country that could even remotely think about taking our team this year and beating Alabama. And one of them is Saban. I don't think he could do it but he would make it close enough to be respectable.

Problem we have and will continue to have is that we have to be brilliant developers of talent, phenomenal schemers of offense and defense, and have some luck to beat Bama. We had that twice under Mullen where al of those came together to even give us a chance.

In everything we do that's football related, we have little to no margin for error. Hell, Bama might fire their DC in a year they go 11-1 and have had more injuries than I can remember to a team. We just aren't anywhere in the same league as them this year and while effort and some things done differently in the offseason might have changed that, it wouldn't have changed the fact that Bama is lightyears ahead of us in talent.

timotheus
11-17-2019, 08:12 PM
developing and scheming are not our current regime's strong suit.

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 08:22 PM
I’d rather have talent than try to develop 2-3 stars.

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Oh I don't disagree. I completely agree. That's why I think Moorhead needs to go.

But make no mistake. There are maybe 1-2 coaches in the country that could even remotely think about taking our team this year and beating Alabama. And one of them is Saban. I don't think he could do it but he would make it close enough to be respectable.

Problem we have and will continue to have is that we have to be brilliant developers of talent, phenomenal schemers of offense and defense, and have some luck to beat Bama. We had that twice under Mullen where al of those came together to even give us a chance.

In everything we do that's football related, we have little to no margin for error. Hell, Bama might fire their DC in a year they go 11-1 and have had more injuries than I can remember to a team. We just aren't anywhere in the same league as them this year and while effort and some things done differently in the offseason might have changed that, it wouldn't have changed the fact that Bama is lightyears ahead of us in talent.

I had zero belief that we could win but I don't think it was too much to ask to score more than Arkansas or New Mexico State. This isn't a normal Bama defense. South Carolina actually scored 28 and they actually only average 24 ppg this year.