PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting if we fire JoMo

1bigdawg
11-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Some have said that we will have a problem with recruiting if we lose JoMo.

Yes, we will lose Marks and maybe Key, but who else. All the rest of our recruits are at school in Mississippi except Groce, who does not have a lot of other good options. We have a great chance to keep them all - or at least as many as we keep with JoMo.

Also, a new coach may be able to bring in guys we don't have now - the RB from Columbia comes to mind. (Not saying we get him.)

There is always a danger in recruiting when you fire/lose a coach, but in this case - from a recruiting standpoint, this is the best possible year to do it.

KOdawg1
11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
You'll most likely lose Forbes to OM, but that's possible even if we keep Joe. Tulu Griffin and Dillon Johnson would also be shaky. Losing Joe would hurt our recruiting class, there's no way around it, but it's worth it if we can rid ourselves of this dud of a coach.

BuckyIsAB****
11-17-2019, 12:29 PM
It is well worth it. We have enough commits that will recruit themselves to keep it together for a good hire.

msstate7
11-17-2019, 12:30 PM
You'll most likely lose Forbes to OM, but that's possible even if we keep Joe. Tulu Griffin and Dillon Johnson would also be shaky. Losing Joe would hurt our recruiting class, there's no way around it, but it's worth it if we can rid ourselves of this dud of a coach.

You're probably correct about this, but these kids see Luke and Moorhead aren't exactly that impressive. If we gave them a more attractive option, who knows

1bigdawg
11-17-2019, 12:40 PM

I believe you are discounting the recruiting prowess of a potential hire. JoMo held Mullen's class together. That happens most of the time unless the process drags out.

defiantdog
11-17-2019, 12:46 PM
You hire a guy who can recruit, and this is a non-issue

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 01:33 PM
This should be a non-issue. We may lose a few guys but the majority will stay. The new coach will also add players to the class who could be better than what we have.

Ole Miss kept Houston Nutt to win the press conference at the Army AA Game in 2011. They went 2-10 the next year. There’s our lesson.

But hey that hat flip ceremony really showed us!**

starkvegasdawg
11-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Would you rather have Auburn's or Florida's roster with chuckles coaching or Kentucky talent with a competent staff?

msbulldog
11-17-2019, 02:36 PM

Yes, we will lose Marks and maybe Key, but who else. All the rest of our recruits are at school in Mississippi except Groce, who does not have a lot of other good options. We have a great chance to keep them all - or at least as many as we keep with JoMo.

Also, a new coach may be able to bring in guys we don't have now - the RB from Columbia comes to mind. (Not saying we get him.)

There is always a danger in recruiting when you fire/lose a coach, but in this case - from a recruiting standpoint, this is the best possible year to do it.

We need to keep Marks, seriously!

1bigdawg
11-17-2019, 02:47 PM
We need to keep Marks, seriously!

Marks is great, but is one player worth keeping JoMo?

Mjoelner34
11-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Would you rather have Auburn's or Florida's roster with chuckles coaching or Kentucky talent with a competent staff?

^^^THIS^^^

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 03:26 PM
We are one hire away from being a top 20 team. We have a lot of talent and they are young. SloMo is not going to get us there but the right hire will

Cooterpoot
11-17-2019, 03:29 PM

And when Hill leaves and Gibson graduates, we have one RB on our roster really.

msstate7
11-17-2019, 03:51 PM
And when Hill leaves and Gibson graduates, we have one RB on our roster really.

And Shrader**

BeastMan
11-17-2019, 04:10 PM
We fired Croom in the middle of his best recruiting class by a loooong shot and it worked out fine

DeputyDawg94
11-17-2019, 04:31 PM

No. You can’t let one person hold the whole program hostage. Players, coaches and administrators come and go. We are here for a lifetime.

Lord McBuckethead
11-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Just matters who you get.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 04:33 PM
We fired Croom in the middle of his best recruiting class by a loooong shot and it worked out fine

Exactly. Whose to say we don?t flip someone that we need with an actual HC.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2019, 04:39 PM
Marks and Forbes are definitely gone if Jo gets fired. Key is likely gone. Wheat could as well. Who knows about Shrader staying but I imagine he stays. I know Jo has to go but our roster could really be in a bind if he does.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2019, 04:41 PM
You make a great hire and you'll keep most of these commits. They'll come if we hire a good coach. If we continue to suck with joe they dang sure won't come. We can't let one recruiting class decide whether or not we keep a coach. You have to look long term.

timotheus
11-17-2019, 05:01 PM
commerce is correct

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 05:05 PM
The truth is there is never a great time to fire a coach. So that means, if you know he ain't the guy, then there is no better time than now.

Additionally, it's important to remember that there is a price to pay for making shitty hires & losing some recruits is part of that price.

If people want to move signing day back till April to mitigate this then I'm all for it, but that will increase cheating as well.

Pick your poison.

As for Marks, he's a good RB, but that's hardly a position worth keeping a coach for. That sounds stupid even saying it out loud

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 05:06 PM
We fired Croom. Held on to the class and added bumphis and slay. Hired SloMo held in to everyone but the DL from Calloway who didn?t qualify. Hiring a new coach is not end of the world

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 12:00 AM
You can bet if Joe isn't here next year our recruiting class will be kaput.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Napier is known as a big time recruiter.

Todd4State
11-18-2019, 02:58 AM

No it won't. Players choose schools on several factors. The coach is one of those- but it's not always the end all be all.

Dawgfan77
11-18-2019, 07:16 AM

That?s same thing people said when fires Croom. We flipped Perk from AU and added Bumphis. We might lose one to 3 but we might replace them with better players.

timotheus
11-18-2019, 07:20 AM
I can hardly wait for Joe to retain all his current signees and parade into next season and still go 4-8. Can u imagine the post game reasoning we will hear?

Coursesuper
11-18-2019, 07:58 AM
You make a great hire and you'll keep most of these commits. They'll come if we hire a good coach. If we continue to suck with joe they dang sure won't come. We can't let one recruiting class decide whether or not we keep a coach. You have to look long term.

This is correct, have to see the big picture in this situation.

StateDawg44
11-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Say a new coach comes in. (I don't think Joe will be fired unfortunately) New coach keeps the class at the same level it's at now and finishes strong.

What would be the acceptable record for next year? Are we to the point of actually being a rebuild now or did we just stub our toe half way down the stairs beginning a tumble down with a chance to catch ourselves so we don't fall all the way back into the cellar with Arky?

Homedawg
11-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Perfectly said.

Homedawg
11-18-2019, 12:26 PM
I can hardly wait for Joe to retain all his current signees and parade into next season and still go 4-8. Can u imagine the post game reasoning we will hear?

You mean like in the post game radio show sat when he said that we held them to 3 pts in the second half, as one of His positives.... almost all his positives are when the games are over. But it's predictable.

Commercecomet24
11-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Right on!

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Say a new coach comes in. (I don't think Joe will be fired unfortunately) New coach keeps the class at the same level it's at now and finishes strong.

What would be the acceptable record for next year? Are we to the point of actually being a rebuild now or did we just stub our toe half way down the stairs beginning a tumble down with a chance to catch ourselves so we don't fall all the way back into the cellar with Arky?

There are 8 winnable games on the schedule next year - New Mexico, NC State, Arkansas, Tulane, MO, UK, Alabama A&M, and OM. We also have TAM & Auburn at home - which could put them in play.

I think a competent coach could win at a decent clip with that schedule - but I'd call 6 a good start. That's what is sad about this path - the right hire after Mullen would have us winning 6-8 next year with A&M & AU in play, and Bama and LSU having to replace Tua and Burrow.

StateDawg44
11-18-2019, 01:42 PM
What are the chances Tua comes back for his senior season? His draft stock has surely dropped. More of a concern in my eyes to be injury prone which really sucks.

A torn ACL pre-combine is a much different recovery than a hip. Especially with surgeries and the technology today. I could be wrong.

Or is Tom Brady going retire this year and Patriots roll the dice? I haven't heard he is retiring any where. Just a hypothetical. Is TankingForTua a thing and still in effect?

StateDawg44
11-18-2019, 01:43 PM
There are 8 winnable games on the schedule next year - New Mexico, NC State, Arkansas, Tulane, MO, UK, Alabama A&M, and OM. We also have TAM & Auburn at home - which could put them in play.

I think a competent coach could win at a decent clip with that schedule - but I'd call 6 a good start. That's what is sad about this path - the right hire after Mullen would have us winning 6-8 next year with A&M & AU in play, and Bama and LSU having to replace Tua and Burrow.

I would take that next year under a new staff as long as there was effort and a disciplined team that played together.

Dawgology
11-18-2019, 04:29 PM

It depends entirely on who you hire to replace him as well. We could likely pick some other recruits up. You just never know.

Dawgology
11-18-2019, 04:31 PM
What are the chances Tua comes back for his senior season? His draft stock has surely dropped. More of a concern in my eyes to be injury prone which really sucks.

A torn ACL pre-combine is a much different recovery than a hip. Especially with surgeries and the technology today. I could be wrong.

Or is Tom Brady going retire this year and Patriots roll the dice? I haven't heard he is retiring any where. Just a hypothetical. Is TankingForTua a thing and still in effect?

Wouldn't you just HATE to be the guy to replace Tom Brady. Ouch. Doomed from the start.

redstickdawg
11-18-2019, 04:34 PM

The best move is to cut bait and get rid of the loser ASAP. JoMo could have bama's roster and e would definitely screw the pooch. The recruits would be poorly coached and at this point we just need to do the deed.

Johnson85
11-18-2019, 04:36 PM
The truth is there is never a great time to fire a coach. So that means, if you know he ain't the guy, then there is no better time than now.

Additionally, it's important to remember that there is a price to pay for making shitty hires & losing some recruits is part of that price.

If people want to move signing day back till April to mitigate this then I'm all for it, but that will increase cheating as well.

Pick your poison.

As for Marks, he's a good RB, but that's hardly a position worth keeping a coach for. That sounds stupid even saying it out loud

People are just mentioning him because Mullen left us a hole at RB and that's one of the ones that Joe didn't do a good job filling. If Hill leaves, we will have a true sophomore in Witherspoon next year, a 5th year SR that hasn't really played (or played at all?) and didn't impress in JUCO, and whoever we sign this year. RB may not be the most important position, but we are going to be in bad shape next year if Hill leaves and we don't get at least one Freshman or JUCO ready to play immediately.

WPS
11-18-2019, 04:46 PM
At the end of the day recruiting doesn't matter if the coach can't win with them. As an Arkansas fan we're down to 6 commits now and had 8 recruits decommit after firing Morris. It sucks being like #117 in the country in recruiting right now but we are the 26th "most talented" team in college football based on stars on the current roster and we're going 2-10. Gotta trust in the new coach to develop guys better and find guys he can win with. Plus a good hire could bring some of the decommits back in the fold.

Johnson85
11-18-2019, 04:51 PM
At the end of the day recruiting doesn't matter if the coach can't win with them. As an Arkansas fan we're down to 6 commits now and had 8 recruits decommit after firing Morris. It sucks being like #117 in the country in recruiting right now but we are the 26th "most talented" team in college football based on stars on the current roster and we're going 2-10. Gotta trust in the new coach to develop guys better and find guys he can win with. Plus a good hire could bring some of the decommits back in the fold.

Y'all are also dealing with the fact that Morris was a plus recruiter, so you had more commits that weren't "natural" commits for y'all. Moorhead is a pretty good recruiter, but we really only have one highly rated out of state commit as of right now. The vast majority of our class are instate guys and our instate rival doesn't exactly have a stellar coach either right now, so it'd be relatively low risk for us.

Bothrops
11-18-2019, 07:35 PM
That?s same thing people said when fires Croom. We flipped Perk from AU and added Bumphis. We might lose one to 3 but we might replace them with better players.

We'd have to make a splash hire for that to happen.

timotheus
11-18-2019, 07:40 PM
We simply need an individual who can adequately assess talent and who possess not nearly as much soothing, meaningless coach speak.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Y'all are also dealing with the fact that Morris was a plus recruiter, so you had more commits that weren't "natural" commits for y'all. Moorhead is a pretty good recruiter, but we really only have one highly rated out of state commit as of right now. The vast majority of our class are instate guys and our instate rival doesn't exactly have a stellar coach either right now, so it'd be relatively low risk for us.

I think we would have to hire someone bad at recruiting to lose enough guys that it would matter. Most coaches that we would hire would keep at least most of the class together especially if we keep some of our coaches like T Buck and Hughes along with the recruiting guys like Gibson and Peterson.

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2019, 08:48 AM
We'd have to make a splash hire for that to happen.

A splash hire or a really good recruiter. I am not sure if we would make a hire that would flip recruits. Our staff currently is a pretty good recruiting staff.

PGHBulldogBG
11-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Give me Matt Campbell and his entire 2 star roster over Sloppy and his 4 stars

Commercecomet24
11-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Give me Matt Campbell and his entire 2 star roster over Sloppy and his 4 stars

I like Matt Campbell. He beats the big boys sometimes and even when he doesn't the games are always competitive and his teams play extremely hard and very physical. Heck he beat Oklahoma in 2017 with a 3rd string QB who was a linebacker.

Bothrops
11-19-2019, 11:06 AM
A splash hire or a really good recruiter. I am not sure if we would make a hire that would flip recruits. Our staff currently is a pretty good recruiting staff.

That's what I know.