PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a HC

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 09:16 AM
I don?t know if Joe is going to leave or be let go but I am firmly in the camp that he needs to go
That being said I am tired of going the assistant coach route. Sure are times it has made sense but my thoughts are we need someone who has sat in the head chair of a Program not named Fordham. Here is my list of realistic candidates to discuss
John if your reading this board I would pay attention
1. Mike Norvell
2 Billy Napier
3. Luke Fickel
4 Eliah Drinkwitz
5. Skip Holtz
6. Jason Candle
7 Willie Fritz
8. Mark Hudspeth

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 09:19 AM
What about Clawson from Wake Forest?

I would also throw in Sonny Dykes at SMU.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 09:22 AM

I don't think we could get Clawson & Dykes I'm not sure Dykes is the best fit. I'd rather Napier than Dykes

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 09:26 AM
I don't think we could get Clawson & Dykes I'm not sure Dykes is the best fit. I'd rather Napier than Dykes

I would have Napier and Norvell as 1a and 1b but I would have them on the list. Cohen needs to interview a lot more guys this time around rather than just fall in love with someone right off the bat.

It was moronic to not give Satterfield or Whittingham an interview.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 09:38 AM

What?s the love affair with Clawson he has been blown out last two weeks.
No to Dykes, Holtz has done a better job at La Tech than he did. Just look at His record at Cal

Belegal
11-17-2019, 10:22 AM
No to Dykes, Holtz has done a better job at La Tech than he did. Just look at His record at Cal

What about Todd Grantham? He wanted the job last time & his son just signed to play baseball with us.

msstate7
11-17-2019, 10:27 AM

He's gonna finish 9-3 at wake; that's very impressive.

KOdawg1
11-17-2019, 10:39 AM

He's turned around literally every program he's been at

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 10:42 AM
He's gonna finish 9-3 at wake; that's very impressive.

Agree. I'd definitely take him

The knee jerk, "he got blown out this week" crowd kills me every time

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Man I cant STAND this kind of logic. EVERY HC HAS BAD LOSES, IS UNPROVEN, OR ALREADY AT A MUCH BETTER JOB! Moreover, of course a HC at Wake (or a G5 playing a decent P5) is going to have blowouts. Even Saban would struggle there to get enough talent to hag with Clemson. Last G5 HC to build a death star was Frost, who could have gone to Florida. Last low level G5 HC to build a death star is Rhule, but as soon as a guy does that he gets poached by a blue blood or locked into a high buyout we can't afford.

At the end of the day, Clawson will be 9-3 at a team that has zero football history that plays teams with more $$$, fan support, and ease of recruiting wthan his own program, and he built them up from nothing. If he was hanging with Clemson and going 10-2 FSU would be all over him and we'd have no shot of landing him. If Napier or Norvell was undefeated they'd have far better programs than us after them and we'd have no shot. If a coach was winning big at a P5 we'd be a lateral move and have no chance to get them here.

At the end of the day you can get 1) a completely unproven coordinator/guy who's only proven it at a very very low level (Joe with Fordham), OR 2) a HC that's done good, but hasn't yet built a death star. You can't have 3) a proven HC that has built a death star where he's at.

I'm just so sick of seeing guys like Clawson get thrown out because Clemson is still better than Wake, or guys like Norvell be overlooked because he's not going to be 12-0/ "barely beat a bad OM team". Get realistic. Norvell, Clawson, and Napier are all really solid coaches that are at the top end of what we could get. I'd take any of them, but would prefer Clawson (he's been a HC longer so I feel he's less of a risk to mishandle our culture). Rant over.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Agree. I'd definitely take him

The knee jerk, "he got blown out this week" crowd kills me every time

It's especially stupid because Dan is undeniably a pretty good coach, and he got blown out here several times a year by Bama/Auburn/LSU/UGA. So are those posters saying we should only hire a coach that's proven to be on a higher level than Dan? Do those poster think we should have fired him in '17 for getting blown out by Auburn and UGA? I mean if we won't hire a guy because being blown out = he's not good enough, then why would we keep a guy who gets blown out? It's so intellectually lazy, and is such a high standard we'd never be able to hire an HC with such a good resume he's never been blown out

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 11:25 AM

You must really want to fire Moorhead then.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Clawson would be a homerun hire. Don't think we can get him.

I would love Clawson, Campbell or Brohm. Just not realistic.

That's why my list is Napier, Norvell, Blake Anderson, Clark.

BuckyIsAB****
11-17-2019, 11:37 AM
No on Dykes. Yes on Grantham, Norvell, Napier and Clawson

defiantdog
11-17-2019, 11:41 AM
What are these wish lists? JoMo will be back even if OM beats us. He's convinced the administration that this is a rebuild.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2019, 11:41 AM
I'm warming up to the Grantham idea a little now that I'm seeing what Eddie O is doing. Grantham
Would DEFINITELY get us back to being a physical team, we would not be soft. Give him a great budget to work with and hire two really good assistant coaches. Maybe even keep Shoop and let he and Grantham run the D. Hire an OC that does a great job running the Mullen style offense. Not the worst idea in the world, but it would ONLY work if he was given a big budget to hire with. Otherwise it might end up like O at Ole Miss. I think with his son here and the pay raise, he'd be interested.

Not saying that's my first choice, but I'm warming up to it. No to Holtz, No to Dykes. I'd be good with Napier. I still think Fritz would do really well here despite their season taking a downward turn after a good start. There's several strong options out there. Too bad we can't get Napier as Head Coach and Grantham as Associate Head Coach...that would be a grand slam in my opinion. I really wish Cohen would use Grantham's desire to be close to his son and come up with the money to get him back here in some role.

dawgday166
11-17-2019, 12:40 PM
He's turned around literally every program he's been at

And he's on his 4th HC job and come up through the ranks. Getting blown out by Clemson ... I think I'll give him a pass on that one SMH.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 01:18 PM
And he's on his 4th HC job and come up through the ranks. Getting blown out by Clemson ... I think I'll give him a pass on that one SMH.
Scored 17 against Va Tech and this ain?t Beamer Tech and 3 against Clemson

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 01:37 PM
The thing about guys that have a blemish on their career is well, most coaches have one. Joe was about as perfect resume wise and we see how that has worked out for us. Sometimes those blemishes are life lessons that these coaches learn from and it makes them better coaches. Like Orgeron.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2019, 01:39 PM
I'm warming up to the Grantham idea a little now that I'm seeing what Eddie O is doing. Grantham
Would DEFINITELY get us back to being a physical team, we would not be soft. Give him a great budget to work with and hire two really good assistant coaches. Maybe even keep Shoop and let he and Grantham run the D. Hire an OC that does a great job running the Mullen style offense. Not the worst idea in the world, but it would ONLY work if he was given a big budget to hire with. Otherwise it might end up like O at Ole Miss. I think with his son here and the pay raise, he'd be interested.

Not saying that's my first choice, but I'm warming up to it. No to Holtz, No to Dykes. I'd be good with Napier. I still think Fritz would do really well here despite their season taking a downward turn after a good start. There's several strong options out there. Too bad we can't get Napier as Head Coach and Grantham as Associate Head Coach...that would be a grand slam in my opinion. I really wish Cohen would use Grantham's desire to be close to his son and come up with the money to get him back here in some role.

Agree. This was my sales point a few weeks ago.

Grantham with a huge coordinator budget could be awesome for us

msugolf
11-17-2019, 01:53 PM
The thing about guys that have a blemish on their career is well, most coaches have one. Joe was about as perfect resume wise and we see how that has worked out for us. Sometimes those blemishes are life lessons that these coaches learn from and it makes them better coaches. Like Orgeron.

No his was not blemish free. People just aren't listening or looking. His PSU offenses struggled against the better teams, and that's with NFL players all over the place. And he was demoted at UConn. His offensive prowess has been overblown by internet talking heads. 2 years of calling plays at penn st shouldn't qualify anyone to be an offensive genius regardless of the teams' numbers.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 02:03 PM
No his was not blemish free. People just aren't listening or looking. His PSU offenses struggled against the better teams, and that's with NFL players all over the place. And he was demoted at UConn. His offensive prowess has been overblown by internet talking heads. 2 years of calling plays at penn st shouldn't qualify anyone to be an offensive genius regardless of the teams' numbers.

Just wanted to post this again
Posted this in a thread this week but here are SloMo stats against good defense at PSU
191 UM
276 OSU
354 Kent state
312 Pitt
380 IU
283 OSU
304 Rutgers

Guru savant I tell you

Maroonthirteen
11-17-2019, 02:11 PM
If I was AD..... my first interview is Rich Rodriquez.

His offense would make Mayden or Shrader a Star. His offense fits the type athletes we usually sign.

Head coaching experience.

Also you absolutely hamstring OM and Luke for Plumlees career.

TheLostDawg
11-17-2019, 02:12 PM

And have someone with a connection and wants to be here. The only thing with this is we would have to expect a it learning curve. Two top coordinators would limit the curve so that would be a must that that reason along with many others. Grantham is HC material. He's what you'd want in a HC. Not sure if we're willing to wait in a learning curve.
I like Napier but I'm not sure if he'd be a repeat of Mullen and leave after some great seasons being young and up and coming. I think he'd be a good hire to get out train back on the rails at the very least.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 02:15 PM
And have someone with a connection and wants to be here. The only thing with this is we would have to expect a it learning curve. Two top coordinators would limit the curve so that would be a must that that reason along with many others. Grantham is HC material. He's what you'd want in a HC. Not sure if we're willing to wait in a learning curve.
I like Napier but I'm not sure if he'd be a repeat of Mullen and leave after some great seasons being young and up and coming. I think he'd be a good hire to get out train back on the rails at the very least.

Who cares if he leaves go hire the next up and coming HC. I hate the assistant coach route

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 02:23 PM

His offense would make Mayden or Shrader a Star. His offense fits the type athletes we usually sign.

Rich Rod is one of the few names I would prefer Moorhead over. And I would love Grantham to come back as DC but not head coach.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Who cares if he leaves go hire the next up and coming HC. I hate the assistant coach route

Yep, can't go that way this time. No more on the job training. We need to have it rolling for 2021.

CoachT14
11-17-2019, 07:12 PM

This thought process is why we can't ever get solid footing. We have the worst fans with little brother syndrome. If we want to be more than what we are currently, this line of thinking has got to change as a fanbase.

We need a coach who is going to come in and say, "Yes, that is our rival... Yes, we are going to beat the shit out of them, but that is not the standard for our program's worth. It needs to be higher than that." Until that guy comes in, we won't be any better than we've ever been.

Coursesuper
11-17-2019, 07:49 PM
This thought process is why we can't ever get solid footing. We have the worst fans with little brother syndrome. If we want to be more than what we are currently, this line of thinking has got to change as a fanbase.

We need a coach who is going to come in and say, "Yes, that is our rival... Yes, we are going to beat the shit out of them, but that is not the standard for our program's worth. It needs to be higher than that." Until that guy comes in, we won't be any better than we've ever been.

They just don't know shit about actually competing in football at any level. They believe the bullshit propaganda that Rosey and crew throw out on an hourly basis. It's a viscous syndrome.

CoachT14
11-17-2019, 07:56 PM
They just don't know shit about actually competing in football at any level. They believe the bullshit propaganda that Rosey and crew throw out on an hourly basis. It's a viscous syndrome.

It's not even football at this point. It's just life in general, if you spend your entire career worried about the guy in the office you can't stand and only trying to out best him, it's going to be a miserable life on the job.

Maroonthirteen
11-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Neither one of you know shit about me. I don’t listen to Rosey. I have not clicked on genes page in years. Maybe a decade now. F off. Both of you. However I’ve been to every game this year (less LSU) and dumb Fs act like I’m
A problem? Hahahaha.

I won’t even get into the details of what is wrong with the MSU fan base. But I can tell you this.... it’s the worst in the sec. besides Vandy. Then the school sits in least desirable geographic location in the conference surrounded by schools that take any recruit they want from You when they feel the need. Then You idiots think you’re going to hire some sitting P5 coach. Y’all dont know shit and are totally unaware of the reality of your situation.

CoachT14
11-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Neither one of you know shit about me. I don’t listen to Rosey. I have not clicked on genes page in years. Maybe a decade now. F off. Both of you. However I’ve been to every game this year (less LSU) and dumb Fs act like I’m
A problem? Hahahaha.

I won’t even get into the details of what is wrong with the MSU fan base. But I can tell you this.... it’s the worst in the sec. besides Vandy. Then You idiots think you’re going to hire some sitting P5 coach. Y’all dont know shit and are totally unaware of the reality of your situation.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/gS4lxgmQXRo2s/giphy.gif

You don't know a damn thing about me either. If you know all these details, please enlighten us. And please enlighten me on the reality of my situation.

Coursesuper
11-17-2019, 08:11 PM
A problem? Hahahaha.

I won’t even get into the details of what is wrong with the MSU fan base. But I can tell you this.... it’s the worst in the sec. besides Vandy. Then You idiots think you’re going to hire some sitting P5 coach. Y’all dont know shit and are totally unaware of the reality of your situation.

Dude I didn't quote you but whatever, there are a ton of folks around here that listen to and believe that garbage. So thank you for your support.

RocketDawg
11-17-2019, 08:41 PM
I don?t know if Joe is going to leave or be let go but I am firmly in the camp that he needs to go
That being said I am tired of going the assistant coach route. Sure are times it has made sense but my thoughts are we need someone who has sat in the head chair of a Program not named Fordham. Here is my list of realistic candidates to discuss
1. Mike Norvell
2 Billy Napier
3. Luke Fickel
4 Eliah Drinkwitz
5. Skip Holtz
6. Jason Candle
7 Willie Fritz
8. Mark Hudspeth

That's a good list. I don't know about Fritz and Hudspeth, but then they're at the bottom of the list. I like the idea of the Cincinnati coach (Fickel).

tcdog70
11-18-2019, 10:59 AM
1. Mike Norvell
2 Billy Napier
3. Luke Fickel
4 Eliah Drinkwitz
5. Skip Holtz
6. Jason Candle
7 Willie Fritz
8. Mark Hudspeth

if you post the records of every coach you listed and didn't put their names up--then in a blind test--#8 would be chosen.

Really Clark?
11-18-2019, 11:31 AM
1. .900 9-1
2 .700 35-15
3. .667 34-17
4 .625 30-18 *
5. .625 15-9
6. .573 51-38
7 .565 108-83
8. .556 40-32

As some else proposed, here is the list for best wins and percentage in this group. Totally different order than what some think. This is D1 level only. The asterisk for #4 includes his interim record but his percentage is higher as the HC of a program and would rank him 3rd without the interim record.

Pipedream
11-18-2019, 11:53 AM

There's no scenario where I'd be ok with a first time head coach who is also a defensive guy. No matter the ties/history he has to State that's a losing formula. We have to hire an offensive guy and I'd prefer someone who has HC experience. I really think Napier is the guy right now.

dantheman4248
11-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Thinking we aren't in the upper half of P5 jobs. Wow. What a defeated guy.

trojandawg
11-18-2019, 12:33 PM
i'm thinking Clawson ends up at Florida State.