PDA

View Full Version : I'm still torn on the Tua Injury thing, so, I ask this....

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:06 PM
LSU is driving, and about to go up 28 points in the mid 2nd Qtr.

If you're Ed O, when do YOU pull him?

WinningIsRelentless
11-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Hell yes.

basedog
11-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Difference is Burrows is tougher and healthy.

Saban made a poor decision, if anything Bama needs to practice is running the ball, not passing.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 08:10 PM

I don't think Saban did anything wrong. I thought his plan was sound.

What we don't know that Saban knows is exactly how injured Tua was before. Even so, his injury had nothing to do with ankle

basedog
11-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Delete

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Difference is Burrows is tougher and healthy.

Saban made a poor decision, if anything Bama needs to practice is running the ball, not passing.

I agree, however, freak things can happen.... as did with Tua.

msu15
11-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Saban absolutely made the right call. As crazy as the odds were, there was still a chance that we could score on that last drive and then score on the first drive of the 2nd half to make it a two touchdown game. Shit happens.

DownwardDawg
I would have pulled Tua at 28-0 and was telling my wife the same thing. It made no sense at all to keep him out there and then this happened. Nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Political Hack
I would've let him finish the half if I would've played him... but I wouldn't have played him.

KOdawg1
Well, if I'm Eddie O, I want to beat the ever living 17 out of Ole Miss for firing me back in the day, so I leave Burrow in to put up about 50.

It's football. Freak accidents happen.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2019, 08:16 PM
It was a stupid decision. The outcome proves it. But many of us knew it was stupid before the kid got hurt.

basedog
11-16-2019, 08:17 PM

Yes and that's why you play it safe with Tua, dude already took a couple good licks.

Coaches make mistakes every game but Bama didn't need this injury. Saban is sick right now as father nature is ticking, his time up is near not far away. Book it.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:19 PM

What we don't know that Saban knows is exactly how injured Tua was before. Even so, his injury had nothing to do with ankle

That gets conveniently glossed over. He wasn't 100% but he's played in much worse condition than today...

Turfdawg67
11-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Simple, when the game is obviously decided. OM is down but they are moving the ball pretty well and could still theoretically score and make it interesting if LSUs O starts to sputter. The State game was obviously over in the first quarter, as we couldn't stop them (five straight scores) and could barely move the ball. Thus, Tua should've never been in except to pad his stats and run up the score.

R2Dawg
11-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Freak plays happen but this was not freak for Tua. He gets hurt everytime he gets hit. I predicted it sitting in my living room today that as soon as he got hit hard he wouldn't get up. Burrow is tough as nails but if they are up 35-7 at half, I pull him after first series in 3rd.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 08:25 PM
If y'all couldn't tell that game was over with bama up 35-7 I can't help you. Saban screwed up leaving him in. The game was over we were done. We couldn't have scored 35 points if we played all night. It was a bad decisions and Saban and bama have to live with it.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Once again it's not that the injury happened it's WHEN it happened. The game was over at 35-7.

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Good Lord. Your inner gump came out with this one. Completely two different situations with Tua already being injured.

Turfdawg67
11-16-2019, 08:29 PM
If y'all couldn't tell that game was over with bama up 35-7 I can't help you. Saban screwed up leaving him in. The game was over we were done. We couldn't have scored 35 points if we played all night. It was a bad decisions and Saban and bama have to live with it.

Exactly.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:29 PM
I've yet to get an answer to the interrogative...

basedog
11-16-2019, 08:31 PM

+1

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 08:41 PM
There was no reason to even play Tua. Bama could?ve scored 40 with anybody at QB. They could?ve practiced him next game.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Easy there, buddy... the game today was "over" when it was scheduled...

And I question playing Tua, at all... we could have put WR Slade Bolden in the wildcat and won the game by 35... Mac would have done ok, as well...

It's unfortunate what happened to him, but I just think it isn't quite as B&W as some are making it out to be....

FWIW, If I were HC, I wouldn't have played him vs MSU or UWK... and would have considered pulling him when Saban did... only he (allegedly) relented... I mighta done the same... dunno.

Apoplectic
11-16-2019, 08:43 PM

its not the coach its the qb - hes soft

Pinto
11-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Burrow is done for the night for me. That hit out of bounds should have sealed it. Your season goes as Burrow goes. You?re already #1 and that?s not changing.

All that being said I?m not in the middle of a game and can take time to see all the angles and big picture.

DeputyDawg94
11-16-2019, 08:44 PM
I would have probably let Tua finish out the half myself. Players want to play and he asked Saban to put him back in. Plus Bama needs ?style? points now because Clemson, LSU and OSU aren?t going to lose. There are a few 1 loss teams with equal or better resumes.
ETA if I’m coach O my QB is done. All he needs at this point is a 1 point win.

CoachT14
11-16-2019, 08:47 PM
I would have probably let Tua finish out the half myself. Players want to play and he asked Saban to put him back in. Plus Bama needs ?style? points now because Clemson, LSU and OSU aren?t going to lose. There are a few 1 loss teams with equal or better resumes.

Yeah people harping on Saban for that are being ridiculous. If the injury was to the same ankle, then they'd have an argument. This was a freak injury that could've happened to anyone, anywhere at anytime, and unfortunately it happened to Tua right then. Blaming Saban for that is beyond ludicrous and is someone just being an emotional nitwit.

Turfdawg67
11-16-2019, 08:47 PM

And I question playing Tua, at all... we could have put WR Slade Bolden in the wildcat and won the game by 35... Mac would have done ok, as well...

It's unfortunate what happened to him, but I just think it isn't quite as B&W as some are making it out to be....

FWIW, If I were HC, I wouldn't have played him vs MSU or UWK... and would have considered pulling him when Saban did... only he (allegedly) relented... I mighta done the same... dunno.

Hey Tusk, just went to the Jr Food Mart for some tater logs and a Bammer shirt. Now we both have 25 National Championships! Congrats my brother! Continue the MSU dissing, it's awesome and these morons like you!

Todd4State
11-16-2019, 08:49 PM
In a normal situation- third quarter. But as others have said Tua has been hurt so I don’t think this qualifies as a normal situation. Definitely looks bad. And Jones didn’t look that great to me to be honest.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Hey Tusk, just went to the Jr Food Mart for some tater logs and a Bammer shirt. Now we both have 25 National Championships! !

You'll need to go back to the JR Food Mart... I've got 325 NCs, now....

You did get repped, tho... nice. plus 1

Madisonmd
11-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Better hope its not a "Bo Jackson " injury. If so his career is over! If he develops AVN from a fracture , he could be in trouble.

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Saban gets paid over $10MM year to make that decision about who plays. Not the kid.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 08:54 PM

I agree it was over when it was scheduled and Tua shouldn't have played at all today but he did play and he should've been pulled at 35-7. Stuff happens and bama has to live with it.

Todd4State
11-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Here’s my “problem” with it. He played a guy that he knew was hurt already. That is risky and irresponsible to the player and his future.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 08:59 PM
I agree it was over when it was scheduled and Tua shouldn't have played at all today but he did play and he should've been pulled at 35-7. Stuff happens and bama has to live with it.

Agree with alllllll of that, my friend... It's been a brutal year, injurywise... It's a miracle we still have the slimmest of prayers...

StateDawg44
11-16-2019, 09:02 PM

His injury today very well could?ve been because of the ankle indirectly.

You have no clue and neither do I. He may have normally been able to plant and go down easier with the hurt ankle in that situation instead of planting with his knee cap.

Bottom line is, they didn?t need Tua to beat us to begin with but they needed to make a statement. He shoulda let him sit but Saban would?ve gotten bitched at about that too probably. Sucks for Tua. No one should be blamed either way.

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Absolutely. Can't see why this is even a debatable subject. Only one question needs to be asked. Was the game over for all intents and purposes when Bama went up 35-7? If you answer that question by saying yes, there's no logical way to rationalize it unless you're just trying to make yourself feel better or love Saban so much you'd give him a reach around.

CoachT14
11-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Absolutely. Can't see why this is even a debatable subject. Only one question needs to be asked. Was the game over for all intents and purposes when Bama went up 35-7? If you answer that question by saying yes, there's no logical way to rationalize it unless you're just trying to make yourself feel better or love Saban so much you'd give him a reach around.

This can be so subjective though. I agree, the game was virtually over, hence the 2nd half. But that doesn't mean that you automatically pull starters, no coach worth his salt does that. Especially this early in the game. Obviously, the injury previous injury muddies this somewhat, but you're still talking about a freak injury that happened to a completely different body part. That to me is the reason you can't really blame it on Saban.

Todd4State
11-16-2019, 09:16 PM
This can be so subjective though. I agree, the game was virtually over, hence the 2nd half. But that doesn't mean that you automatically pull starters, no coach worth his salt does that. Especially this early in the game. Obviously, the injury previous injury muddies this somewhat, but you're still talking about a freak injury that happened to a completely different body part. That to me is the reason you can't really blame it on Saban.

But did the injury happen in part because of his lack of mobility from the ankle injury?

CoachT14
11-16-2019, 09:17 PM
But did the injury happen in part because of his lack of mobility from the ankle injury?

I don't know, you don't know. Speculating about it does nothing to change that.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 09:24 PM

IMO, Todd, no.... he moved like I've seen him move... to me, the big picture is Tua's refusal to give up on a play and throw the ball away... that's how he's been hurt most times...

He was a "dual" outta HS, but Saban should said "No, you're a Pro... throw it away, sometimes..."

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 09:34 PM
Look, I get what you're saying but you could clearly see that we were over matched in every facet of the game and couldn't play with them. It would've taken a miracle for us to come back from 35-7. Nobody in their right mind thought we had any chance at that point and neither did Saban. He wanted the style points and his ego got the best of him. He's paying for it and so did his player. To me, that's inexcusable.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Look, I get what you're saying but you could clearly see that we were over matched in every facet of the game and couldn't play with them. It would've taken a miracle for us to come back from 35-7. Nobody in their right mind thought we had any chance at that point and neither did Saban. He wanted the style points and his ego got the best of him. He's paying for it and so did his player. To me, that's inexcusable.

I don't disagree with you... but to say we needed TUA to RUTS is unsupportable... Saban coulda RUTS with you or me at QB... that's what makes me ponder "why?"....

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 09:41 PM
It may be "unsupportable" but it's also very logical to think you had a much better chance running it up with Tua throwing it than Jones. That's not even debatable. If that's the case then you should see no drop off when Jones comes in the game but you do.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 09:47 PM
It may be "unsupportable" but it's also very logical to think you had a much better chance running it up with Tua throwing it than Jones. That's not even debatable.

Fact. I just don't think the motivation (to get style points) vs disparity (of talent level) ratio comes close to approaching the "OMG, if I don't leave Tua in, I can't win by 30-40 points"... that's not logical, either....

I'm not disagreeing with ya, not am I saying it was terrible to leave him in... I'm agnostic!

Cowbell
11-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Fact. I just don't think the motivation (to get style points) vs disparity (of talent level) ratio comes close to approaching the "OMG, if I don't leave Tua in, I can't win by 30-40 points"... that's not logical, either....

I'm not disagreeing with ya, not am I saying it was terrible to leave him in... I'm agnostic!

Regardless of this being a separate injury or not, Tua has been asked to play in games when his body was not healed. It?s a shame that his body has been abused in a way that he most likely will never have much of a professional career.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Regardless of this being a separate injury or not, Tua has been asked to play in games when his body was not healed. It?s a shame that his body has been abused in a way that he most likely will never have much of a professional career.

you don't know that, do you? or do you? and if so, what is your evidence of such, please?

Saltydog
11-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Delete.....

monroedawg5646
11-16-2019, 10:38 PM
The fact is Tua has been hurt for a big portion of his career. He has proven himself to be injury prone whether it be bad luck or weak bone/ligaments or whatever. With that said, when the game is in hand his ass needs to be wearing a headset. Up 35-7 after 5 straight drives and State doing next to nothing it was time to sit. Something I find ironic, as much as Saban talks about Team and Team Goals he let and individual talk him into hurting the team.

Cowbell
11-16-2019, 10:43 PM
you don't know that, do you? or do you? and if so, what is your evidence of such, please?

Tusk, we talked about this last year before the game against us and I told you this was going to happen and you weren’t worried at all. It was clear as day he played hurt last week. Adrenaline can only cover pain so long. A fully healed ankle would not still hurt. Don’t go down this road... you know good and well he is playing not fully healed.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Tusk, we talked about this last year before the game against us and I told you this was going to happen and you weren’t worried at all. It was clear as day he played hurt last week. Adrenaline can only cover pain so long. A fully healed ankle would not still hurt. Don’t go down this road... you know good and well he is playing not fully healed.

"fully healed".... agreed... He certainly wasn't...

I'm not... Never will be.

#pickupyour*******weaponandgetbackinthe****ingfigh t

Cowbell
11-16-2019, 10:51 PM
"fully healed".... agreed... He certainly wasn't...

I'm not... Never will be.

#pickupyour*******weaponandgetbackinthe****ingfigh t

It’s a different story when you are projected as a number 1 draft pick if you stay healthy. If Tua was your boy, knowing what little you know about the situation, would you be cool with Sabans decisions? Not me. I would be sitting in his office Monday morning.

tcdog70
11-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Tusk, the game was over. Who is the 1 player Bama must have to have a chance to get into the playoffs--Tua. He is already hurt, why he even played is beyond Me. But at that point of the game He should have been on the sideline. The person who needed to practice the 2 minute drill was the back-up not Tua. Nick can make stupid decisions-remember The long fg with 1 second left, how did that turn out? Good luck Auburn will hard to handle without Tua.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 11:01 PM
It’s a different story when you are projected as a number 1 draft pick if you stay healthy. If Tua was your boy, knowing what little you know about the situation, would you be cool with Sabans decisions? Not me. I would be sitting in his office Monday morning.

I don't have children, so, I've learned not to make assumptions because parenting, IMO, is the most challenging, responsible-intensive thing one can undertake... However, I've reared a pile of step kids, monitored many Marines, and have helped lots of younguns aside...

I'd expect my "son" to say this:

A) "Coach, I can't go"
B) "Coach, I got this"

And, I will go with what "my son" says....

Lord McBuckethead
11-16-2019, 11:21 PM
+1

The game was over on the 8th play of the game.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 11:31 PM
IMO y'all should've kept Hurts as starter and you wouldn't be worrying about this.

Lord McBuckethead
11-16-2019, 11:48 PM
+1

The game was over on the 8th play of the game.

TUSK
11-16-2019, 11:48 PM
IMO y'all should've kept Hurts as starter and you wouldn't be worrying about this.

LOL.... C'mon, buddy, I didn't think you drank....

Gutter Cobreh
11-17-2019, 12:25 AM
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... the reason Tua, Davis, and Riggs were all hurt is because your S&C coach sucks! You learn early being here that injuries only occur when guys aren't properly in shape! No other reason!***

To answer question honestly, he shouldn't have played one snap today. He has earned the right though to have input on that and prior to this freak injury, he was dissecting our nonexistent defense with ease. He took a couple shots, but it's football. It's why Tommy miraculously was healed prior to kickoff against Arky. Easy game to pad stats. All Tua had to do was throw the ball away, so this isn't on Saban for not pulling him.

TUSK
11-17-2019, 12:36 AM
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times... the reason Tua, Davis, and Riggs were all hurt is because your S&C coach sucks! You learn early being here that injuries only occur when guys aren't properly in shape! No other reason!***

To answer question honestly, he shouldn't have played one snap today. He has earned the right though to have input on that and prior to this freak injury, he was dissecting our nonexistent defense with ease. He took a couple shots, but it's football. It's why Tommy miraculously was healed prior to kickoff against Arky. Easy game to pad stats. All Tua had to do was throw the ball away, so this isn't on Saban for not pulling him.

yup, peeps are tryin too hard...

that being said, it won't be the determinin' factor....

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 01:20 AM
IMO, Todd, no.... he moved like I've seen him move... to me, the big picture is Tua's refusal to give up on a play and throw the ball away... that's how he's been hurt most times...

He was a "dual" outta HS, but Saban should said "No, you're a Pro... throw it away, sometimes..."

Fair enough. I probably just assumed that he was more mobile than what I remember because of the injuries.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2019, 01:31 AM
LOL.... C'mon, buddy, I didn't think you drank....

You don't think Hurts could have you in the same position as you're in now or even better? I do. You could've got blown out by Clemson last year in the Nc game just as easily with hurts as Tua and hurts is definitely more durable

RougeDawg
11-17-2019, 01:54 AM
Basic 2nd grade knowledge has me torn on how it?s pass interference when a defensive player is standing their ground watching the football approach them, whilst having the offensive guy run into and over them? Not just one time, but two times within 3 plays. Can someone explain. I have too many degrees to understand basic pee wee football rules.

defiantdog
11-17-2019, 02:34 AM
Tua should have never played..... second string Alabama players could?ve rolled on us without a problem .

TUSK
11-17-2019, 03:08 AM
You don't think Hurts could have you in the same position as you're in now or even better? I do. You could've got blown out by Clemson last year in the Nc game just as easily with hurts as Tua and hurts is definitely more durable

Hurts in his SO year was possibly the weakest link on Bammer's O...

Can't remember the OC/QB guy (Enos?) but Jalen improved his passing game dramatically .... I don't blame Hurts for leaving, and I think he'll win the h'man...

sometimes football players get hurt playing football....

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Can't remember the OC/QB guy (Enos?) but Jalen improved his passing game dramatically .... I don't blame Hurts for leaving, and I think he'll win the h'man...

Joe Burrow has pretty much locked up the Heisman barring some crazy circumstances.

basedog
11-17-2019, 09:04 AM

"sometimes football players get hurt playing football"

And sometimes Coaches make bad choices such as demoting players, playing injured players, and doing stupid play calling.

Bama is done this year, I have a really good Lsu buddy and talking to him last night he said "Saban has gotten old it seems, he is losing it after so many years of stress". I somewhat agree, Bama has had the best run in college football since Oklahoma back in the Bud Wilkson days. Amazes me he survived this long especially with year after year coaching changes, gotta end sometime.

Btw, Hurts to me was the better fit at Bama, dude has class and he will be a better Pro Prospect mainly because of his size and toughness.

99jc
11-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Tusk not trying to be an ass but we don't give a Damn about TUA and Bama and if our players knocked your team out of the playoffs good riddance were sick of you 17ers.

shannondawg
11-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Yes and that's why you play it safe with Tua, dude already took a couple good licks.

Coaches make mistakes every game but Bama didn't need this injury. Saban is sick right now as father nature is ticking, his time up is near not far away. Book it.

I might be crazy, but with all the commercials he is in, I wouldn't be surprised if he not there next year,

basedog
11-17-2019, 09:57 AM
I might be crazy, but with all the commercials he is in, I wouldn't be surprised if he not there next year,

He also had that hip surgery thingy, maybe he is setting up his future with the "Duck and Regions Bank Commercials".

Anyone who dyes their hair must be hiding from something***