PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a major problem with Billy Napier?

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 06:51 PM
7-2 this year. Lost by 10 to us and 10 to App State.

Coached under Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney.

Louisiana is also a key recruiting area for us to supplement MS recruiting.

40 years old. Only makes about a million per year/maybe less so financials are not an issue.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 06:53 PM
I do not, but I also didn't have an issue with JoMo until I got to know his personality.

Gotta interview him to identify the personality type. Good football coaches keep players uncomfortable & on edge

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Major problem? No. But Dabo fired him after a year, so I don’t count a Dabo bump there.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 06:59 PM
I do not, but I also didn't have an issue with JoMo until I got to know his personality.

Gotta interview him to identify the personality type. Good football coaches keep players uncomfortable & on edge

I've watched a few interviews with him, I like his personality. Much better speaker than Pruitt and Clark.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Major problem? No. But Dabo fired him after a year, so I don’t count a Dabo bump there.

Interesting. I'd definitely dig on that

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 07:02 PM

He was at Clemson from 2006-2010. Dabo was head coach in 2009. So he was 2 years under Dabo. He was only 31 at the time.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Lol at that last part. The opposite really. Great coachs set very high standards and pay attention to detail. The attention to detail is the most important part from my observations actually watching them coach from very close range over several decades. . Keeping players on edge works for some, fails miserably for others. It's not that important at all. The great ones, however they motivate, pay attention to detail and are able to instill that attention to detail in their players.

Randolph Dupree
11-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Napier would be a solid hire IMO

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Interesting. I'd definitely dig on that

Here are a couple of articles:

Dabo was young, Napier was young.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/271648-what-happened-between-clemson-coaches-dabo-swinney-and-billy-napier

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2016/01/09/clemson-alabama-billy-napier-dabo-swinney-nick-saban/78561586/

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 07:07 PM
He was OC during the interim part of Dabo taking over. I don’t count that because Dabo was the primary play caller. He had one season under Dabo as OC and was fired because the offense wasn’t good.
But, Saban said Napier was going to be a great HC one day and ASU tried to keep him as OC when they changed coaches.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 07:09 PM
He was OC during the interim part of Dabo taking over. I don’t count that because Dabo was the primary play caller. He had one season under Dabo as OC and was fired because the offense wasn’t good.

True, it's also fair to point out that he was the youngest OC in the country at only 29 years old and he probably learned a lot from the experience. It's also fair to say he coached a year and half under Dabo b/c that is the truth.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 07:19 PM
True hoops and he was recruiting coordinator

99jc
11-16-2019, 07:25 PM
True hoops and he was recruiting coordinator

I would take Hugh Freeze right now.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 07:26 PM

LOL, I would too.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Lol at that last part. The opposite really. Great coachs set very high standards and pay attention to detail. The attention to detail is the most important part from my observations actually watching them coach from very close range over several decades. . Keeping players on edge works for some, fails miserably for others. It's not that important at all. The great ones, however they motivate, pay attention to detail and are able to instill that attention to detail in their players.

Name a good football coach that isn't edgy?

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 07:32 PM

I think Freeze will be under a gigantic microscope in recruiting once he gets back in the power 5

DogsofAnarchy
11-16-2019, 07:32 PM

40 years old. Only makes about a million per year/maybe less so financials are not an issue.

Big improvement on what we have. No doubt.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 07:40 PM
By the way, ULL is struggling with USA who was a 27.5 pt underdog.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2019, 07:41 PM
LOL, I would too.

I wouldn't. That insane.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Name a good football coach that isn't edgy?

I've seen many each way. I'm not naming names because the ones I know well enough to say one way or another are high school coaches, many are friends. It's not that important. Attention to detail is.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 07:45 PM

This is the issue that fans have.

We look at something like this and say "I don't want him", but it's really irrelevant as to whether or not he'd be successful at MSU.

In 1999, the year Nick Saban left Michigan State, he lost 52-28 to Purdue & 40-10 to Wisky in back to back weeks.

In 2002, the year Urban Meyer left Bowling Green for Utah, he lost to Northern Illinois, South Florida, & Toledo in 3 of the last 4 weeks

TUSK
11-16-2019, 07:46 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l2YWnHB3QVrgebfsQ/giphy.gif

I'd prefer y'all NOT hire him... dude can recruit a lil bit, too....

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2019, 07:46 PM
I've seen many each way. I'm not naming names because the ones I know well enough to say one way or another are high school coaches, many are friends. It's not that important. Attention to detail is.

Attention to detail is certainly #1 but it's tough to figure that out in an interview. It's much easier to find out if someone is type A or not.

TheLostDawg
11-16-2019, 07:57 PM
I like the idea but I'd ask who he would bring on his staff in the interview. I know you can't set it in stone but I feel like that's important as well.
I know that it's a pipe dream back but I wish we could make Grantham our Venables.
I also think we couldn't do worse than Moorhead. At this point I wish we'd have hired Grantham over Moorhead. We'd be on team with him at this point next year with him learning to be a HC.

Getting back on point, I'm fine with it but as said above I'd look deep into his history because they obviously did a terrible job of this with Moorhead. State better look back on how they messed up with Moorhead, make sure they don't make the same mistakes, set a list of expectations and find a coach that could accomplish it within a set number years. They also need to have this in the contact to protect both State and the coach in order to get a good coach and so we won't be in the situation that we're in this year

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 08:01 PM
I like the idea but I'd ask who he would bring on his staff in the interview. I know you can't set it in stone but I feel like that's important as well.
I know that it's a pipe dream back but I wish we could make Grantham our Venables.
I also think we couldn't do worse than Moorhead. At this point I wish we'd have hired Grantham over Moorhead. We'd be on team with him at this point next year with him learning to be a HC.

Getting back on point, I'm fine with it but as said above I'd look deep into his history because they obviously did a terrible job of this with Moorhead. State better look back on how they messed up with Moorhead, make sure they don't make the same mistakes, set a list of expectations and find a coach that could accomplish it within a set number years. They also need to have this in the contact to protect both State and the coach in order to get a good coach and so we won't be in the situation that we're in this year

Yikes on Grantham. I don't see why he would even be in our top 10 of candidates.

As for the assistants, you just have to give Napier a big pool of money to hire the best staff possible. And need to fill it up with guys like Tony Huges and not guys like Luke Getsy.

TheLostDawg
11-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Yikes on Grantham. I don't see why he would even be in our top 10 of candidates.

As for the assistants, you just have to give Napier a big pool of money to hire the best staff possible. And need to fill it up with guys like Tony Huges and not guys like Luke Getsy.

I was saying I don't think Grantham would be worse at this point. I wish we could get Napier and put Grantham in his staff. Yeah I think we need to ask in the interview who they would approach to be an assistant and not limit the coaches by being too cheap. We see what that got us this year.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 08:16 PM
I was saying I don't think Grantham would be worse at this point. I wish we could get Napier and put Grantham in his staff. Yeah I think we need to ask in the interview who they would approach to be an assistant and not limit the coaches by being too cheap. We see what that got us this year.

Morehead is making 3.2 million which is outrageous. No one was looking to hire him. We could play Napier 2.5 and give him a 4 million pool for assistants and hire a great staff. You need a great DC, strength coach, Oline and Dline coach. Fill up the rest of the staff with good coaches but great recruiters.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Napier is my favorite

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 08:25 PM

UL won 37-27, not that it matters.

ckDOG
11-16-2019, 08:28 PM
There might be better options than Napier but he would be a solid fit for our program. Young. Has HC experience. Good recruiter. Coached with outstanding coaches. Knows Louisiana recruiting. Offense is a spread run centric system.

I?d be fired up if he was our guy.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 08:30 PM
There might be better options than Napier but he would be a solid fit for our program. Young. Has HC experience. Good recruiter. Coached with outstanding coaches. Knows Louisiana recruiting. Offense is a spread run centric system.

I?d be fired up if he was our guy.

Agree. That's the big thing. He's a fit. Both culturally and financially. And he has SEC experience so he knows what it takes and what he's getting into. He's getable right now. He may not be in 1 year.

Todd4State
11-16-2019, 08:53 PM
UL won 37-27, not that it matters.

Hopefully distracted by negotiations with our Cigar Boys.

1bigdawg
11-16-2019, 09:21 PM
I like Sonny Dykes more than Napier. He also had Lousiana connections. He has been a power 5 coach and knows the drill. He is doing great at SMU and wasn't bad at Cal. He is a great recruiter.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 09:44 PM
I like Sonny Dykes more than Napier. He also had Lousiana connections. He has been a power 5 coach and knows the drill. He is doing great at SMU and wasn't bad at Cal. He is a great recruiter.

He was 19-30 at Cal. 55-54 overall. And is 50 years old. Not really a fit at MSU either imo.

But this thread is meant to be about Napier.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Another great Napier article from SI...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/07/18/billy-napier-louisiana-lafayette-nick-saban

Mjoelner34
11-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Another great Napier article from SI...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/07/18/billy-napier-louisiana-lafayette-nick-saban

Very good article!

HoopsDawg
11-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Very good article!

2 more stats.

1. UL is 10th in the country in Total Offense out of 130 teams.

2. UL 8th in the country in yards per play. Every true gambler knows how important this stat is.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2019, 11:36 PM
2 more stats.

1. UL is 10th in the country in Total Offense out of 130 teams.

2. UL 8th in the country in yards per play. Every true gambler knows how important this stat is.

But is he an offensive genius?*******

FriarsPoint
11-16-2019, 11:42 PM
This year will be our only chance to get him. After the conclusion of the 2020 season, forget it.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Napier is familiar with SEC and southern recruiting and the way it works, good offensive mind, young and energetic, he could be a good fit, as well as some others out there

Coursesuper
11-16-2019, 11:43 PM
If he’s the guy I want him to bring his entire staff. We need continuity.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2019, 11:44 PM

Amen to this! This is to often overlooked . Continuity is huge.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Disagree. A good coach knows who he wants on his staff. We can afford better coaches than he’s got. OC/DC are huge hires in the SEC.

Coursesuper
11-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Disagree. A good coach knows who he wants on his staff. We can afford better coaches than he?s got. OC/DC are huge hires in the SEC.

If it?s working for the guy well enough to land the next bigger gig, why not let the guy bring his guys he?s comfortable with, guy that understand his philosophy and not hire the next two mercs that will leave for the next bigger check.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2019, 12:01 AM
If it?s working for the guy well enough to land the next bigger gig, why not let the guy bring his guys he?s comfortable with, guy that understand his philosophy and not hire the next two mercs that will leave for the next bigger check.

Because nobody hires an entire G5 staff. Money matters. You go get the best money can buy. ULL can’t get the coaches we can.

Coursesuper
11-17-2019, 12:06 AM
Because nobody hires an entire G5 staff. You go get the top DC you can afford. Napier is an offensive guy, so his OC I would get. But we don’t need his DC. And he’s a good guy but he’s not an SEC DC.

I like him, he is a good guy, he’s very good friends with my cousin. But if the head guy likes him as a coach can he be worse than Sirmon?

War Machine Dawg
11-17-2019, 12:07 AM

Worse take ever. Hughes is a f'n liability as a coach. Sure, dude can recruit. But as an actual coach he blows bovines. An off the field recruiting position is perfect for him. Getsy was a helluva coach. You don't get hired to coach Aaron Rodgers if you aren't good. That's one of the reasons I want Norvell. He's had 6 assistants hired away to be head coaches. Dude is great at spotting coaching talent and improving it.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 12:27 AM

His S&C coach looks good. Bring him for sure. I would want to keep Hughes obviously. And maybe Tbuck and Johnson for their MS ties and recruiting.

Gutter Cobreh
11-17-2019, 12:34 AM
Napier will certainly get buy-in from the team when he makes them open up their wallets.***

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2034293001

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 12:42 AM
Napier will certainly get buy-in from the team when he makes them open up their wallets.***

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2034293001

Yeah don't love that.

BhamDawg205
11-17-2019, 02:15 AM
Disagree. A good coach knows who he wants on his staff. We can afford better coaches than he?s got. OC/DC are huge hires in the SEC.

Bring his OC... He's also the OL coach. This is important for blocking schemes and techniques. Plus he's coached in the SEC, blue blood staff to.

BuckyIsAB****
11-17-2019, 12:32 PM

The 2nd part of that is not true. On edge yes but uncomfortable, no. This aint a video game dude you are dealing with real people and some of them will tell you to piss off or quit on you. You cant coach every kid the same.

That said, Moorhead is a hell of an interviewer. A lot of guys are, then they are exposed between the white lines. I'll pass on the great interview guys. Napier would be a good hire on paper but it isnt a home run. More like a double at best. I would be ok with it, it makes sense and he would be a good fit.

Lance Harbor
11-17-2019, 02:55 PM
As he was the bubble screen king. Maybe he's learned a lot since then, but State could do better.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Napier is middle of the pack for me. But he’s the same coaching tree as Norvell (somewhat).

Dawgfan77
11-17-2019, 03:28 PM
I am not saying Napier is the end all be all but he is a damn good HC. If rather trust my future to a proven HC than another assistant coach. I guess we could try and hire Kevin Wilson from OSU.

TheLostDawg
11-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Napier night be good at recruiting Louisiana guys but all the top hs players go to LSU there. He's young yes but with that you worry more about leaving if having success. Just some points to consider

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 07:05 PM
As he was the bubble screen king. Maybe he's learned a lot since then, but State could do better.

We actually discussed this in this thread. He was 29. That was 11 years ago. I hope he's learned a lot since then.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2019, 07:15 PM
He's young yes but with that you worry more about leaving if having success. Just some points to consider

Do you not realize how insane that is?

TheLostDawg
11-17-2019, 07:37 PM
Do you not realize how insane that is?
It's not if we aren't willing to pony up the money to keep him if successful. I'd rather get a guy like Grantham that would stay. However I'd much rather have a young guy that is successful and can relate to the younger guys. Nothing makes me more mad than watching Moorhead sit there while we get flagged for touching an opposing player and then we get tackled going for a ball and no flag. I'm all for young and energetic but we can't let the next guy come in and job search every off season. Like I said, something to consider. I don't know where we are as a program especially after Cohen was going to give us a big hire and we ended up with Lemonis be (not a shot at lemonis).

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Napier night be good at recruiting Louisiana guys but all the top hs players go to LSU there. He's young yes but with that you worry more about leaving if having success. Just some points to consider

I'm 95% sure that if he comes here he will keep Hughes on staff and about 100% sure he'll bring Looney with him. I think it's highly possible that he keeps T-Buck and possibly promotes Peterson to an on the field role.

He's a HC who also coaches the QB's- so that sort of eliminates Breiner's position coach role which would probably go to Looney assuming that Rob Sale comes in as OC/OL coach meaning the Looney could be the assistany OL coach and possibly also coach TE's allowing us to move Hughes wherever we need him. His RB and DL coach are both legit and probably could recruit anywhere. His ST coach also helps with LB's which means he probably helps their DC with position coaching. If his WR coach stays in Louisiana where he is from and is also the RC we could very easily slide Peterson in at WR coach/recruiting coordinator.

HailStateSZN19
11-17-2019, 07:53 PM
I’d be all for Napier for HC. Runs a system we’d be able to recruit to really well. Sign me up for him. Or Norvell. Either of them honestly. I’m just tired of Joe. Period. I was as optimistic and patient as I could be for as long as I could be. KSU/UT did it for me and now I’m just ready to get someone new in here so we can take advantage of all the talent we will have on our team in 2021 instead of letting Joe wreck that and underachieve by 2-3 games.

TheLostDawg
11-17-2019, 08:57 PM
I'm 95% sure that if he comes here he will keep Hughes on staff and about 100% sure he'll bring Looney with him. I think it's highly possible that he keeps T-Buck and possibly promotes Peterson to an on the field role.

He's a HC who also coaches the QB's- so that sort of eliminates Breiner's position coach role which would probably go to Looney assuming that Rob Sale comes in as OC/OL coach meaning the Looney could be the assistany OL coach and possibly also coach TE's allowing us to move Hughes wherever we need him. His RB and DL coach are both legit and probably could recruit anywhere. His ST coach also helps with LB's which means he probably helps their DC with position coaching. If his WR coach stays in Louisiana where he is from and is also the RC we could very easily slide Peterson in at WR coach/recruiting coordinator.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Just need to make sure Cohen pays these guys and doesn't wait until season end to extend them before they get poached.

Todd4State
11-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out. Just need to make sure Cohen pays these guys and doesn't wait until season end to extend them before they get poached.

If there is anything Cohen did right it was offering Dan an extension after the Texas A&M game in 2017. Once Dan turned it down, Cohen basically knew to start looking and as a result our coaching search was short. So I think Cohen would do that in the right situation. Joe hasn't given Cohen a reason to offer an extension during the season so far obviously.

TheLostDawg
11-18-2019, 09:03 AM
If there is anything Cohen did right it was offering Dan an extension after the Texas A&M game in 2017. Once Dan turned it down, Cohen basically knew to start looking and as a result our coaching search was short. So I think Cohen would do that in the right situation. Joe hasn't given Cohen a reason to offer an extension during the season so far obviously.

Yeah that's why I'm weary if the price of our but out. I understand extending a contract for many reasons if you're not ready to fire but if you go that route, you make sure you can get out the next year with easy. Look how fast we got away from Croom. I just can't see the guy out actually costing us 9 million. We'll likely see soon enough.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Yeah that's why I'm weary if the price of our but out. I understand extending a contract for many reasons if you're not ready to fire but if you go that route, you make sure you can get out the next year with easy. Look how fast we got away from Croom. I just can't see the guy out actually costing us 9 million. We'll likely see soon enough.

I would hope Cohen didn't just believe what Moorhead was selling. I personally was giving Moorhead the benefit of the doubt but I don't think I would have just gave him a crapload of money after last year's disappointing season. He was at the floor of what I expected last year and he has to win 2 games to get to the floor of my expectations this year. Realistically, our floor with this schedule should have been 7 games but winning on the road is never easy. A good coach would have won KSU, UT, and maybe A&M.

Dawgfan77
11-18-2019, 09:26 AM
You want to throw some heat on this... ULL is an Addias school. Howland was a three stripe life guy. Don?t think this wouldn?t play into it. Also can we shut up about the 9 mm. That number is based on the total contact. We are not in the hook for 3 year contract.

BhamDawg205
11-18-2019, 11:13 AM

He'll I'd take a screen right now... We've probably thrown 5 bubble screens all year.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2019, 02:59 PM
You want to throw some heat on this... ULL is an Addias school. Howland was a three stripe life guy. Don?t think this wouldn?t play into it. Also can we shut up about the 9 mm. That number is based on the total contact. We are not in the hook for 3 year contract.

Correct, it is at worst 3MM per year for the next 3 years. If you do that then the coach has to sit at home and watch his career slowly drift away. You either negotiate it down, spread it over more years, or at least be offset by whatever they are making at the next school. Even if he takes an OC job, MSU saves at least another $250K at a minimum. It will be interesting to see what comes of the Ark lawsuit vs Bert. The Patriots are paying him below NFL minimum wage for an on the field coach so it could be that maybe the settlement is that you take the $3MM - market value of the position which would be $500k- 1 MM for an OC in a P5 conference.

Jarius
11-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Worse take ever. Hughes is a f'n liability as a coach. Sure, dude can recruit. But as an actual coach he blows bovines. An off the field recruiting position is perfect for him. Getsy was a helluva coach. You don't get hired to coach Aaron Rodgers if you aren't good. That's one of the reasons I want Norvell. He's had 6 assistants hired away to be head coaches. Dude is great at spotting coaching talent and improving it.

You really have no clue about Tony Hughes. He will have a job here no matter who our coach is unless we hire a complete idiot. He is the best recruiter Mississippi has ever seen and he is a very good defensive backs coach (yes I know he is currently coaching tight ends).

HoopsDawg
11-18-2019, 08:03 PM
You really have no clue about Tony Hughes. He will have a job here no matter who our coach is unless we hire a complete idiot. He is the best recruiter Mississippi has ever seen and he is a very good defensive backs coach (yes I know he is currently coaching tight ends).

Yeah, I just ignored him. Reporters asked Mullen if he had any advice for Moorhead when Moorhead took the job, Mullen said, "hire Tony Hughes".

Jarius
11-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Billy Napier would be my #1 realistic choice, followed by Norvell. I think those 2 would do exceptionally well at State.

Jarius
11-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I just ignored him. Reporters asked Mullen if he had any advice for Moorhead when Moorhead took the job, Mullen said, "hire Tony Hughes".

I have known Tony since I was in diapers. He is an outstanding man and coach. You get him in a room with momma and it’s lights out, all other things being equal.

Coursesuper
11-19-2019, 07:41 AM

That one was not handled from within the athletic department. The only part of hiring Howland that the athletic department played in the process was to arrange the presser and stand there and smile.

Dawgfan77
11-19-2019, 08:10 AM
That one was not handled from within the athletic department. The only part of hiring Howland that the athletic department played in the process was to arrange the presser and stand there and smile.
I aware. Addis?s helped put the deal together

Coursesuper
11-19-2019, 08:13 AM
I aware. Addis?s helped put the deal together

yep

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Bo Bounds seems to think we are going Napier first. His choice would be Lashley at SMU but thinks we are going G5 head coach this time around. Said if he had to guess the next HC for us would be Billy Napier.

Also, he thinks om beats the shit outta of us in the EB.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Bo Bounds seems to think we are going Napier first. His choice would be Lashley at SMU but thinks we are going G5 head coach this time around. Said if he had to guess the next HC for us would be Billy Napier.

Also, he thinks om beats the shit outta of us in the EB.

If OM beating us gets us a new coach, then I'm all for it. Worked in 2008 and will work again.

Bo advocating for Lashley is ridiculous. He's not qualified

Jarius
11-19-2019, 09:18 AM
I will never pull for us to lose the Egg Bowl.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2019, 09:19 AM
I will never pull for us to lose the Egg Bowl.

I damn sure will if it's better for the program

Jarius
11-19-2019, 09:24 AM
If we have someone hiring or firing a coach based on one game then we have leadership problems that involve a lack of critical thinking skills. Losing to them is not good. He should be fired regardless of the outcome of that game.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2019, 09:25 AM
If we have someone hiring or firing a coach based on one game then we have leadership problems that involve a lack of critical thinking skills. Losing to them is not good.

Well... the buzz is exactly that. Win he stays, lose he gone. I agree it's terrible leadership if true, but that appears to be the way of the wind

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 09:29 AM
I don't think winning or losing the Egg bowl matters. Joe is going back up North. This has been in the works since the Tennessee loss. We are just playing out the season. Just my gut feeling on all of this.

I also would not not be surprised if we are already in contract talks with Napier.

Jarius
11-19-2019, 09:29 AM
If we are only keeping him or firing him based on one game then it is not going to do much good with someone with that mindset making the next hire.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2019, 09:31 AM
I don't think winning or losing the Egg bowl matters. Joe is going back up North. This has been in the works since the Tennessee loss. We are just playing out the season. Just my gut feeling on all of this.

I also would not not be surprised if we are already in contract talks with Napier.

A win with Joe moving back North would be the greatest win/win of all time

TrapGame
11-19-2019, 09:46 AM
A win with Joe moving back North would be the greatest win/win of all time

6-6 he moves on. We both save face.

Then the new coach comes in with a rag tag staff - let's say Billy Napier for the sake of argument - and he puts together a quick game plan for our bowl opponent.

And then the offense - with the same players - looks lights out better and lays an ass whooping in the bowl game.

That's win/win.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2019, 10:10 AM
6-6 he moves on. We both save face.

Then the new coach comes in with a rag tag staff - let's say Billy Napier for the sake of argument - and he puts together a quick game plan for our bowl opponent.

And then the offense - with the same players - looks lights out better and lays an ass whooping in the bowl game.

That's win/win.

if this comes to be, I hope the new coach will coach the bowl game. I have no interest in letting a Moorhead assistant coach that bowl game. Let's move on & start implementing the new offense

BrunswickDawg
11-19-2019, 11:43 AM
if this comes to be, I hope the new coach will coach the bowl game. I have no interest in letting a Moorhead assistant coach that bowl game. Let's move on & start implementing the new offense

Actually, it would be pretty damn funny if Joe left and Breiner coached the bowl and was lights out. Or even funnier - Joey Jones.

dawgday166
11-19-2019, 11:46 AM

I never understood why he did that ... not coach the bowl game. He has had an anti-anything-Dan-did air about him from the get go. I guess he wanted to put his own extremely elevated Championship standard stamp on a mediocre program ****