PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage vs UAB

FreeBoosie
10-28-2013, 11:25 AM
According to various sources, the basketball team had a closed door scrimmage against UAB this weekend. With these scrimmages, there are no outside media sources, no score is kept, and the outcome is kept within the team. I have it on good accord that we did lose the scrimmage (I don't know the final score, as it wasn't kept) but does anyone have info on how it went?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
10-28-2013, 11:08 PM
While the score wasn't kept on the scoreboard, they kept the stats on the bench. State lost supposedly did well defensively but had trouble rebounding and shooting free throws. Not sure how we can solve the poor rebounding considering how the lack of depth at center. Bloodman played but had a splint on his hand. Is Jacoby Davis going to play this year? It has been 13 months since his injury. Seems a lot longer than normal to recover from surgery. Really wish we had Wendell now considering the rules change with defense and fouls.

Dawg61
10-28-2013, 11:16 PM
We will have to be a very up tempo style team to win. Hope the new additions including Staley and Wilson can contribute or we'll be brutal again.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
I don't think Wilson is playing

Political Hack
10-29-2013, 07:20 AM
what are the new defense/fouls rule changes? six fouls? what about defense?

starkvegasdawg
10-29-2013, 07:29 AM
but had trouble rebounding and shooting free throws. .

So we still can't make a free throw. How sad is that? One of the fundamentals of the game and we still can't get it down. I was hoping that was just a Stansbury thing but I see, so far at least, it is transcended coaches. I know that cost us more than one game under Stansbury. I hope Ray can get it turned around before it costs us games under him.

601Dawg
10-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Coach34 you wanted Change and Stans to be gone which I disagreed with at first but finally gave in towards the end of his last season. However, now I'm really starting to have my doubts about Rick Ray. He hasn't signed or gotten a commitment from a 4 star recruit yet. He will play this season with only one true post player (Gavin Ware) Two of the bigs he signed are ineligible (Not sure if he knows the tricks on how to get players cleared yet) You gotta have some guys who are NBA or European pro league type pros on your team if you want to make the NCAA tournament and have a chance to win the SEC. We currently have NONE

I just see Ray is a good guy and good X's and O's coach who is in WAY, WAY over his head. He may prove me wrong but I see another season this year similar to last season.

Bo Darville
10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
the outcome is kept within the team. I have it on good accord that we did lose the scrimmage

interesting

Thick
10-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Just remember who made the hire. He pissed a lot of people off, and then begged their forgiveness. I will be surprised if he has a say at all on the next hire.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Coach34 you wanted Change and Stans to be gone which I disagreed with at first but finally gave in towards the end of his last season. However, now I'm really starting to have my doubts about Rick Ray. He hasn't signed or gotten a commitment from a 4 star recruit yet. He will play this season with only one true post player (Gavin Ware) Two of the bigs he signed are ineligible (Not sure if he knows the tricks on how to get players cleared yet) You gotta have some guys who are NBA or European pro league type pros on your team if you want to make the NCAA tournament and have a chance to win the SEC. We currently have NONE

I just see Ray is a good guy and good X's and O's coach who is in WAY, WAY over his head. He may prove me wrong but I see another season this year similar to last season.

We had to hire someone like Rick Ray because of Stands and toxicity of the program. Stricklin sure didnt help things.

We are going to win more than 10 games Bundy. We have no depth in the post because of your boy Stands former player smoking his way out of college. The toxicity of the former regime still infects the program.

There is no doubt the man demands effort and can coach. Can he recruit? That will define his tenure. Nobody denies that in the least

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
So is it year 4 he needs to make the tourney or he's gone? Because I think that's reasonable.

smootness
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Is Borchert playing yet? If not, that would help explain our troubles rebounding.

With Ware, Borchert, and Roq Johnson, we should be decent in that area.

As far as free throws, look around college basketball if you think this is just a Mississippi State problem. The issue was actually overblown by fans during Stans' tenure. There just aren't a lot of teams who make FTs as often as fans feel they 'should'. There are a lot of teams who end up in the 60's...many Duke teams in the past included, but I don't think a lot of people are questioning their coaching.

It's actually not easy to get a guy to increase his FT % by a ton during his college years. For the most part, the shooter you get is the shooter that leaves.

Losing Steele, and surprisingly Lewis, will hurt us there. Sword is a bad FT shooter, Ware and Roq Johnson are obviously not good. Hopefully Ready, Davis, and Applewhite can make some.

smootness
10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
So is it year 4 he needs to make the tourney or he's gone? Because I think that's reasonable.

I don't think it's that cut and dried, but it's fairly reasonable. I think if we're in the same place we are now by the end of next year, we'll have to look hard at what we have.

But if he makes some progress this year and by year 3 has us on the bubble, I don't necessarily think he has to make it into the Tourney in year 4 or he's gone. I just want to see progress, the kind of progress that lets me feel confident he's the guy for the job.

That said, in year 4, Sword, Thomas, and Ware will all be seniors, Ready will be a junior, and we'll have had time to see if he can bring in some impact recruits. So yes, I think it's pretty reasonable to say he needs to have that team in the Tourney.

smootness
10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I honestly don't see what would make anyone say Ray's in over his head yet. He coached one year, after being given less than pretty much any other coach in a major conference to work with (and that was before the injuries), and it was actually a much better year than could be expected.

He's had one full recruiting class, and even in that class he was behind the 8-ball compared to most coaches. Ready seems to be a good signing, we haven't seen Ndoye yet, and we may still bring Daniels in.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Yep, and if we got rid of Mullen that same guy will make a football hire. You really think we will end up with Hud with this clown making the coaching decision? The other sad fact is UAB made a better hire then we did.

smootness
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
The other sad fact is UAB made a better hire then we did.

Based on what?

I'm telling you, I think you guys are going to be singing a much different tune in a couple of years.

Barking 13
10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Based on what?

I'm telling you, I think you guys are going to be singing a much different tune in a couple of years.

I'm with you..

RBritt
10-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Malik Newman will cure all this shit!

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
He may end up being a good coach but by the time we figure it out he probably will be fired because he has not gotten results. He is basically learning everything on the fly on top of a tough rebuilding job. There are some places an assistant coach hire is a good thing however with as much rebuilding needed for this job we needed a proven head coach. I may eat my words but I just don't think Coach Ray was the right hire at the right time. I think Stricklin got this one wrong.

chef dixon
10-29-2013, 10:24 AM
The solution to everything for MSU fans. Fire the coach.

MadDawg
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Bingo.

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Yep, and if we got rid of Mullen that same guy will make a football hire. You really think we will end up with Hud with this clown making the coaching decision? The other sad fact is UAB made a better hire then we did.

Not to switch over to football but this part does scare me especially if Strick somehow feels Hud doesn't measure up to his "morals" requirement. We can do better than Mullen for a HC but we can also do a lot worse. Mullen is OK its just that we have a definite ceiling with him because he is just very limited as a recruiter in my view (even besides any booster side dealings) because he is just not a good "salesman" in face to face type meetings with recruits and parents. And that's been pretty well documented at this point.

Ronny
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
..come as a shock to all the basketball conspiracy theorists reading this thread but you can't tell a damn thing about an off-season scrimmage vs. UAB.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Ray is going to get at least 4 years. I dont think there is any type of NCAA Tourney requirement- but we better be close and look like the program is on the brink again

bully99
10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Meanwhile, does Stansbury still live in Starkville. Is he ever seen on campus?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Stricklin will ride this one out as long as possible. He hired Ray so obviously his neck is on the line. Obviously Ray wasn't his first choice, but he is bound and determined for Ray to succeed. Fundamentally, I don't see us competing with Florida and Kentucky with Ray as our head coach. He simply isn't recruiting at a high enough level to compete for championships. For those that say we are getting Malik are ignorant. We have a 10% chance at best. This thing will go down hill once Fred, Gavin, and Chicken graduate. Is he a good X's and O's coach? I think the jury is still out. Is he a good recruiter? The only player he has committed that was wanted by other SEC programs is Demetrious Houston (sp). Everyone else he has committed simply won't be "game changers" they are all "role players". I think after his third year if we are still in the 15 win range and the bottom of the SEC again he will get fired. However, Stricklin is making the calls and he tends to shy away from conflict. Fundamentally, I want us to be good again in basketball but I don't see Ray making that possible.

Dawg61
10-29-2013, 11:43 AM

This +1000. Ray HAS to land Newman. Find a way Rick.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Stricklin will ride this one out as long as possible. He hired Ray so obviously his neck is on the line. Obviously Ray wasn't his first choice, but he is bound and determined for Ray to succeed. Fundamentally, I don't see us competing with Florida and Kentucky with Ray as our head coach. He simply isn't recruiting at a high enough level to compete for championships. For those that say we are getting Malik are ignorant. We have a 10% chance at best. This thing will go down hill once Fred, Gavin, and Chicken graduate. Is he a good X's and O's coach? I think the jury is still out. Is he a good recruiter? The only player he has committed that was wanted by other SEC programs is Demetrious Houston (sp). Everyone else he has committed simply won't be "game changers" they are all "role players". I think after his third year if we are still in the 15 win range and the bottom of the SEC again he will get fired. However, Stricklin is making the calls and he tends to shy away from conflict. Fundamentally, I want us to be good again in basketball but I don't see Ray making that possible.

He's going to get 4 years- you can count on that

smootness
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Fundamentally, I don't see us competing with Florida and Kentucky with Ray as our head coach. He simply isn't recruiting at a high enough level to compete for championships.

It's just amazing that people can claim things like this based on one year of him being the head coach here.

Raytoraid83
10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
It's just amazing that people can claim things like this based on one year of him being the head coach here.

You obviously didn't read his full post

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 12:30 PM

I am starting to get the feeling that we will never compete in the SEC in any big way in the 2 big sports (football, basketball) not because we can't but because of our administration's polyanna view of recruiting. That is where the problem lies long term from what I see in both football and basketball. Appears Strick has him 2 coaches in Mullen and Ray neither of which who want to get their hands dirty in recruiting and that is EXACTLY the way Strick and Keenum apparently want it and that is why Bracky will be fully supported and probably the reason Strick will never give Hud a sniff. If I keep seeing this trend it may be time for me to keep up with MSU baseball but spend the rest of my entertainment dollars on something else. There is just no point in getting too financially or emotionally invested in something where you won't give yourself any real chance to compete on a somewhat reasonably level playing field. I mean the playing field still wouldn't be all that level against the SEC powers regardless but the way its going now we are essentially going to be playing with one arm tied behind our back.

smootness
10-29-2013, 12:35 PM
You obviously didn't read his full post

No, I did. The entire post is him making assumptions about things he has no way of knowing yet. He claims the jury is still out on his X's and O's (because this is an area where Ray seemed more than capable last year), yet apparently the jury has already had time to make a verdict on his recruiting (because this is an area where Ray hasn't brought in any studs yet).

It's clear the two of you have an agenda. You're making judgements on our new coach based on things we can't know yet. You don't give him credit for the things he already seems to be doing well, yet hold against him the things he hasn't proven to do well yet.

He 'isn't recruiting at a high enough level to win championships'? According to...what, exactly? The one class Ray has brought in, the one in which he was already behind on the moment he was hired? The one in which we haven't actually seen either of the guys we brought in play yet?

Ray can be given full credit for Colin Borchert, Jacoby Davis, Andre Applewhite, IJ Ready, and Fallou Ndoye. We've seen exactly one of them play, and he was arguably our best player by the end of last year.

drunkernhelldawg
10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
For whatever reason or reasons, we chose to blow up our basketball program. Whether it can or will ever be reassembled is an open question. I'm missing being competitive in basketball, but it is fortunately not the focal point of my life. The blame Stansbury game is getting old already, just like the Blame Croom brigade was tiresome after Mullen's first year. I say that if you come in with the New, then let the New take the wins and losses. If you are out with the Old, then forget about it. Don't use the Past to make lame excuses for a failure to be ready for the game at hand..

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Exactly Drunker, we blew up our basketball program and it sucks.

dawgs
10-29-2013, 12:51 PM

getting rid of stans and making a questionable hire don't go hand in hand. you can acknowledge that stans had to go, while simultaneously being pissed about the hiring process. we should never keep a coach around because we are scared of the unknown of the next potential hire.

i wasn't pleased with the ray hire, but last year i was moderately impressed with the way our guys competed. the fact that we didn't finish last in the sec with 5 or 6 scholarships player dressed out most of the conference season is pretty mindblowing and testament to guys buying into what he's selling. the biggest concern i have is that if we don't start seeing more Ws and postseason (even the CBI tourney), these same guys might start tuning him out before he ever gets a chance to have a fully stocked sec caliber roster.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Exactly Drunker, we blew up our basketball program and it sucks.

It sucked already- that's why it was blown up. Becoming a national disgrace wasnt masked by a few extra wins and an NIT bid

Thick
10-29-2013, 01:03 PM

As of right now....not happening. RR is doing a real job by getting Horatio to listen to him, but there are some other factors at play here. It could change, but not likely.

Raytoraid83
10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
No, I did. The entire post is him making assumptions about things he has no way of knowing yet. He claims the jury is still out on his X's and O's (because this is an area where Ray seemed more than capable last year), yet apparently the jury has already had time to make a verdict on his recruiting (because this is an area where Ray hasn't brought in any studs yet).

It's clear the two of you have an agenda. You're making judgements on our new coach based on things we can't know yet. You don't give him credit for the things he already seems to be doing well, yet hold against him the things he hasn't proven to do well yet.

He 'isn't recruiting at a high enough level to win championships'? According to...what, exactly? The one class Ray has brought in, the one in which he was already behind on the moment he was hired? The one in which we haven't actually seen either of the guys we brought in play yet?

Ray can be given full credit for Colin Borchert, Jacoby Davis, Andre Applewhite, IJ Ready, and Fallou Ndoye. We've seen exactly one of them play, and he was arguably our best player by the end of last year.

My only "agenda" is wanting a competitive basketball program again. And rays brought in 3 classes now, about to be 4 in two weeks when the first recruiting period ends.

Dawgfan77
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I am starting to get the feeling that we will never compete in the SEC in any big way in the 2 big sports (football, basketball) not because we can't but because of our administration's polyanna view of recruiting. That is where the problem lies long term from what I see in both football and basketball. Appears Strick has him 2 coaches in Mullen and Ray neither of which who want to get their hands dirty in recruiting and that is EXACTLY the way Strick and Keenum apparently want it and that is why Bracky will be fully supported and probably the reason Strick will never give Hud a sniff. If I keep seeing this trend it may be time for me to keep up with MSU baseball but spend the rest of my entertainment dollars on something else. There is just no point in getting too financially or emotionally invested in something where you won't give yourself any real chance to compete on a somewhat reasonably level playing field. I mean the playing field still wouldn't be all that level against the SEC powers regardless but the way its going now we are essentially going to be playing with one arm tied behind our back.
Unfortunately I am feeling the same way. I feel we made a safe hire at the AD position instead of having a national search.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I guess sucked is a relative term. Getting beat on your home court multiple times by 50+ is a new low. Stans never had that type of whipping on him and in fact had one losing season because we didn't know Bender would blow up in the McDonald's All American game and be picked sixth overall.

If there is one thing we have learned about this is that change for the sake of change is not the answer. Let that sink in for all you guys who want Mullen gone. We could end up with a Ray hire in football. That IMO would crush the biggest money sport we have and surely lead to Stricklin being fired. But I digress.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Ray is going to get at least 4 years. I dont think there is any type of NCAA Tourney requirement- but we better be close and look like the program is on the brink again

No tourney requirement for 4 seasons? If he can't make it in 4 years that means he can't recruit for shit and should be gone. I will choose to believe that a reason we had to settle for Rick Ray was because people did not want to take on a rebuilding project so it should be easier to get a decent coach after Ray does the transitional work.

quickstrike2
10-29-2013, 01:31 PM
This doesn't sound good. Knew going in it would be a bad year, but i was hoping to compete with schools like this.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey, Jarod Haase knows basketball and was tenured by Roy Williams. He was a star at Kansas and won national championships at North Carolina as an assistant. His resume is ten fold better then Ray's.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Yep and in a sport we absolutely dominated Ole Miss in (which is basketball) that hire assured us that they will close the gap and surpass us. I am surprised no one has mentioned this.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 01:41 PM
This doesn't sound good. Knew going in it would be a bad year, but i was hoping to compete with schools like this.

I am definitely for giving Ray a chance. I am happy with 16+ wins this season.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Yep and in a sport we absolutely dominated Ole Miss in (which is basketball) that hire assured us that they will close the gap and surpass us. I am surprised no one has mentioned this.

So basketball has to boil down to essentially how well Ole Miss is doing? If Ole Miss is your barometer for success in basketball you are really really aiming low. Ole Miss made the tourney for the first time in a decade last season and they will go back to not making the tourney this season. Andy Kennedy is still a mediocre coach.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 01:49 PM
It's not a barometer for success. My point was we dominated Mississippi in recruiting for basketball. We just gave that in for Ole Miss and even Southern Miss to creep in. Heck our barometer for success with Ray it seems is just to be mediocre and Stans did that as his floor. Seems stupid to me.

Red Sox Dawg
10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
My only "agenda" is wanting a competitive basketball program again. And rays brought in 3 classes now, about to be 4 in two weeks when the first recruiting period ends.

Wow 4 classes and he has't been here but 1 year, amazing. The first class was really last year, this will be the second. What he was left with when he got here was a frigging mess. I would say technically he is about to sign his 3rd. (Stans had already signed or had commits first year).

Dawg61
10-29-2013, 01:55 PM
It's a ****ing scrimmage guys and we have injured players that didn't play. Basing opinions off of a closed door scrimmage is ruhtarded. Can we make it to game 1 before we want Ray canned atleast

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2013, 01:58 PM
It's not a barometer for success. My point was we dominated Mississippi in recruiting for basketball. We just gave that in for Ole Miss and even Southern Miss to creep in. Heck our barometer for success with Ray it seems is just to be mediocre and Stans did that as his floor. Seems stupid to me.

Stansbury had a nice run but he had lost whatever he had before and was regressing. It was time to replace him. Hopefully we will do that sooner rather than later with football. As far as MS recruiting a lot of Stansburys best players did not come from MS.

Johnson85
10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
For whatever reason or reasons, we chose to blow up our basketball program.

We didn't blow up our basketball program. In hindsight, yes Stansbury was given a year too long, but I don't think you can call that "exploding" the basketball program. If we had fired Stansbury a year earlier, I'm not sure we're any better off except that we're a year further into rebuilding. Maybe the roster would have looked more attractive to potential coaches, but not giving Stansbury another year to turn it around would have potentially scared away good candidates just as much as the state of our roster when we hired Ray.

The fact of the matter is we were in a shitty decision. The fact that the program imploded after giving Stansbury an extra year does not mean we exploded it by not firing him sooner. At the time, it was an entirely defensible decision and it isn't even clearly wrong with hindsight.

Coach34
10-29-2013, 02:29 PM

lmao- Ray got the job 18 months ago. He found some scraps to bring that Spring. He has had 1 recruiting class so far.

That's a pretty ugly agenda you got on your shoulder there

Barking 13
10-29-2013, 02:47 PM
SMDH

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 02:55 PM

People, might as well wake up and smell the coffee, our days of dominating anybody in football or basketball recruiting appear to be sadly coming to a close. Maybe I'm off but appears to me that for us being totally clean is much more important than being competitive.

dawgs
10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
I guess sucked is a relative term. Getting beat on your home court multiple times by 50+ is a new low. Stans never had that type of whipping on him and in fact had one losing season because we didn't know Bender would blow up in the McDonald's All American game and be picked sixth overall.

If there is one thing we have learned about this is that change for the sake of change is not the answer. Let that sink in for all you guys who want Mullen gone. We could end up with a Ray hire in football. That IMO would crush the biggest money sport we have and surely lead to Stricklin being fired. But I digress.

it wasn't "change for the sake of change" though. stans was not getting it done period. he wasn't recruiting like he did earlier in his tenure, and the better players he was signing were increasingly likely to be headcases. we literally ran the exact same offense since i was in HS. i could draw up our plays and i'm not even a huge basketball nerd that analyzes that kinda stuff. we could never really grab a strangle hold on the sec west despite being the most talented team in the west among a bunch of schools that didn't care all that much about improving their basketball over the past decade. stans should have been putting up 12-4 or better conference records nearly every year over the 7 or 8 years of his tenure, but instead he'd inexplicably lose 3-4 games that we had no business losing, and we'd go 8-8 or 9-7 or 10-6 and be on the bubble with several bad Ls on our resume.

sure we all knew there was a chance we would take a major step back with stans, but we also knew we were pretty much never going to be anything but a bubble team with headcases up and down the bench moving forward with stans. sure it provides a little excitement but ultimately it ****ing sucked. so it was time to do something. maybe it works out or maybe it doesn't but we weren't winning shit without a change. if ray doesn't work out, then we make another hire in a few years.

Political Hack
10-29-2013, 03:05 PM

I thought it was the 2nd string QB? Just imagine how good we'd be with a replacement coach and our best QB on the bench!!!

Dawg61
10-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Good post dawgs

Barking 13
10-29-2013, 03:14 PM
it wasn't "change for the sake of change" though. stans was not getting it done period. he wasn't recruiting like he did earlier in his tenure, and the better players he was signing were increasingly likely to be headcases. we literally ran the exact same offense since i was in HS. i could draw up our plays and i'm not even a huge basketball nerd that analyzes that kinda stuff. we could never really grab a strangle hold on the sec west despite being the most talented team in the west among a bunch of schools that didn't care all that much about improving their basketball over the past decade. stans should have been putting up 12-4 or better conference records nearly every year over the 7 or 8 years of his tenure, but instead he'd inexplicably lose 3-4 games that we had no business losing, and we'd go 8-8 or 9-7 or 10-6 and be on the bubble with several bad Ls on our resume.

sure we all knew there was a chance we would take a major step back with stans, but we also knew we were pretty much never going to be anything but a bubble team with headcases up and down the bench moving forward with stans. sure it provides a little excitement but ultimately it ****ing sucked. so it was time to do something. maybe it works out or maybe it doesn't but we weren't winning shit without a change. if ray doesn't work out, then we make another hire in a few years.

Stains problem was me me me me me and me me me off the bench

MadDawg
10-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Heck our barometer for success with Ray it seems is just to be mediocre and Stans did that as his floor. Seems stupid to me.

This is what I never understand. If you are gonig to fire a coach for not meeting your expectations, why do those expectations CHANGE when you bring in a new coach? Stupid.

dawgs
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
This is what I never understand. If you are gonig to fire a coach for not meeting your expectations, why do those expectations CHANGE when you bring in a new coach? Stupid.

because we had a gutted roster and he didn't have a fair shot to bring in even low end major conference caliber recruits to fill it out the recruiting class in the spring signing period? i think everyone expects there to be improvement this season because (1) all our best players last season were freshmen and should be improved and (2) we won't be relying on walk ons to be our 6th and 7th men during much of the conference season.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Well maybe if we made a splash hire, we could have kept Rodney Hood. To me that would have been a great center piece to attract a great young coach from a mid-major. Instead Stricklin screwed up the hire and we ended up with a guy no one had heard of before. As I said previously, UAB made a better hire then we did. Heck, South Carolina even made a better hire and they are basketball purgatory. We had a top five SEC job and hired for a 14th spot. So in fact Stricklin did blow up the basketball program.

MarketingBully01
10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey, with that schedule he has even a lame brain would win 15 games. To me, an 18+ win season possibly changes my mind. The schedule we have has to be one of the easiest we have ever had even for Stansbury standards.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM

the expectations overall do not change. they remain the same AFTER the new coach is given an actual chance to clean up the mess. every one of you understands this, so I can't understand why anyone continues to pretend otherwise. the time required for the cleanup is debatable, but to suggest he shouldn't get any time to actually clean it up is silly.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Well maybe if we made a splash hire, we could have kept Rodney Hood. To me that would have been a great center piece to attract a great young coach from a mid-major. Instead Stricklin screwed up the hire and we ended up with a guy no one had heard of before. As I said previously, UAB made a better hire then we did. Heck, South Carolina even made a better hire and they are basketball purgatory. We had a top five SEC job and hired for a 14th spot. So in fact Stricklin did blow up the basketball program.

Ah, I get it now. In your eagerness to run down everything associated with your scapegoat, in this case the AD, you are willing skip over actual facts, resort to "maybes", toss out complete unknowns as "facts", and generally make shit up in order to complete the circle and "validate" your opinion.

chef dixon
10-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I love how every single thread gets transformed into a talk about our administration. I can't wait for some dawg hoops. Excited to see what we look like this year even if we did lose a scrimmage to UAB.

Martianlander
10-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Tough crowd.

Percho
10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I think I will just hide and watch.