PDA

View Full Version : Astros accused of using cameras and technology to steal pitches

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Video breakdown on Twitter by Jomboy showing that the Astros were banging on something in the dugout when a change up was coming from a certain pitcher. Banging was relayed to the batter to indicate change up before the pitcher even came set.

And one of the Astros pitchers came forward and said they were doing it.

If this is true the Astros might end up getting pummeled into oblivion as an organization.

Dawgfan61
11-12-2019, 05:13 PM
I gotta say, So what? Stealing signs is as old as signs to begin with.

Really Clark?
11-12-2019, 05:18 PM
I gotta say, So what? Stealing signs is as old as signs to begin with.

True but also very different. It’s one thing for a guy one second to steal signs and try to get that info relayed to the batter in time. Totally different when you can use technology to steal the signs on every pitch, even when there are no runners in base.

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 05:24 PM
True but also very different. It’s one thing for a guy one second to steal signs and try to get that info relayed to the batter in time. Totally different when you can use technology to steal the signs on every pitch, even when there are no runners in base.

This. Using technology to steal signs is way out of bounds.

Guy on 2nd steals signs? Part of baseball. Someone in the OF stands with a camera relaying info to the dugout every pitch? That's cheating. Big time cheating.

Pinto
11-12-2019, 05:37 PM
https://youtu.be/PmlRbfSavbI

Turfdawg67
11-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Bill Belicheck says it's all a lie.***

parabrave
11-12-2019, 06:51 PM
The Phillies say no way.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 06:53 PM
MLB is lucky they didn’t win the World Series then. That would tarnish that big time.

I imagine they’ll have to forfeit draft picks based on what they did to the Cardinals during their computer hacking scandal.

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 07:28 PM
MLB is lucky they didn’t win the World Series then. That would tarnish that big time.

I imagine they’ll have to forfeit draft picks based on what they did to the Cardinals during their computer hacking scandal.

No they DID do it when the won the World Series. That's what's so bad. This is said to have happened in 2017 when they won it all.

That's why this is going to be really big if they are found guilty.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 08:14 PM
No they DID do it when the won the World Series. That's what's so bad. This is said to have happened in 2017 when they won it all.

That's why this is going to be really big if they are found guilty.

Oh! Not good.

gravedigger
11-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Good point.

Fader21
11-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Doesn't MLB have a back up umpire at all games in case one of the umps goes down? What is their jobs during actual game play? Maybe they can be used to assist with dugout management some how? Of course I don't know as much about baseball and all so I am just throwing out ideas.

Lord McBuckethead
11-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Ban the entire team for life. Every single person that took an at bat during the playoffs, all coaches, all assistants. Bet no one would do it again.

Choctaw Dawg
11-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Opposing pitchers having been bitching about this for the past couple of years now, they catch on to the act pretty quick. The White Sox pitcher in the Jomboy video sure did and changed signs on them. This is about to make AJ Finch look REALLY bad

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Baseball is full of cheating and always has been. I don't know why this surprises people. The fact that they were using cameras is really no different then teams who had guys in their manual scoreboards stealing signs thru binoculars and relaying them into the dugout. Sign stealing, pitch tipping, ball doctoring, bat corking, amphetamines, steroids, etc etc etc. It's all baked into the DNA of the game. No one is going to get banned.

msstate7
11-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Baseball is full of cheating and always has been. I don't know why this surprises people. The fact that they were using cameras is really no different then teams who had guys in their manual scoreboards stealing signs thru binoculars and relaying them into the dugout. Sign stealing, pitch tipping, ball doctoring, bat corking, amphetamines, steroids, etc etc etc. It's all baked into the DNA of the game. No one is going to get banned.

If they won a WS by cheating with technology, not sure why that's any better than Pete rose betting on games

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 02:42 PM
If they won a WS by cheating with technology, not sure why that's any better than Pete rose betting on games

It’s not. Probably worse actually.

MetEdDawg
11-13-2019, 02:45 PM

I'll take what Pete Rose did every day over this for sure.

Like I said, no problem stealing signs in game with your eyes in the base path or catching pitch tipping and relaying that info. But using non-baseball methods for gaining an advantage? That's crossing the line

msstate7
11-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Might be worth noting they beat the LA dodgers. The dodgers are a big time organization for mlb... wonder if they'll push for severe penalties

dantheman4248
11-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Ban the entire team for life. Every single person that took an at bat during the playoffs, all coaches, all assistants. Bet no one would do it again.

Pete Rose disagrees

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Didn't say it was any better or worse. People have placed baseball on this weird pedestal of purity that is just not true. Cheating in baseball has come in many forms and is as old as the game itself.
If you think this is the only instance where a team has gotten an advantage in the WS by cheating in some form or fashion you are being incredibly naive. Were the Astros blatant in it? Yeah. Are players and managers going to get banned for life for doing something that is done regularly? Nope. It's completely unrealistic to thing so.

Hell, MLB is just as culpable in cheating as the teams and players. Just look what they did by juicing the ball to add offense all season. Then, they *allegedly* switch to a different ball in the post season. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-playoffs-have-baseballs-been-altered-for-october-what-to-know-about-the-evidence-with-fewer-homers/

You think that impacted outcomes this year? Isn't that essentially cheating by giving teams built around offense a huge advantage all season, only then to turn that advantage off for the post season?