PDA

View Full Version : Sam Pittman

TheLostDawg
11-12-2019, 04:18 PM
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Arkansas-football-coaching-search-Hunter-Yurachek-open-letter-from-players-138459316/

Maybe this is what we need during our next coaching search. This gives you more than just a name. It tells you who the players loved, respected, and really deep down would fight for. I know players like Moorhead but their lack of effort shows that they like him but aren't willing to give it all for him. Anyway, just a thought that instead of just paying a hiring firm to find coaches that you could get with an easy Google search of "coordinators of the year award watch list" and looking at a list of the top 25 teams to pick out coaches at smaller schools, maybe put a little more weight into some guys that have been here, fit the program, and would bring back that fire we used to have when we played teams.

MaroonFlounder
11-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Someone touched on it in another thread, but what makes Orgeron so perfect for LSU is that they will run through a wall for that guy. Helluva motivator for "A type" personalities, which most competitive athletes are. Plus he's a south Louisianian.

Being a "players coach" won't mean shit on the scoreboard unless the motivation you convey translates to kicking ass on the field in games.

StarkVegasSteve
11-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Looks to be a solid hire that their fan base could get behind. Looks to be a well travelled coach and was the one doing all the recruiting when Bielema had them rolling for a year or two. However, I think a big question would be what kind of scheme he runs. Right now the young guys are spread guys and the older guys are power run. I don't know that you could bring another power run guy in there. I think if you did that then you're looking at another 2-3 years before they're competitive. I still think they need to make Norvell say no to them and at least broach the subject with Malzahn. Hell, if Florida St. isn't going to be smart and hire Mark Stoops maybe Arky will do it.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 06:56 PM
The best thing O does is let his coordinators coach and do their thing.

Meanwhile we’re looking for an x and o’s genius to outsmart everyone and be a head coach at the same time.

TheLostDawg
11-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Looks to be a solid hire that their fan base could get behind. Looks to be a well travelled coach and was the one doing all the recruiting when Bielema had them rolling for a year or two. However, I think a big question would be what kind of scheme he runs. Right now the young guys are spread guys and the older guys are power run. I don't know that you could bring another power run guy in there. I think if you did that then you're looking at another 2-3 years before they're competitive. I still think they need to make Norvell say no to them and at least broach the subject with Malzahn. Hell, if Florida St. isn't going to be smart and hire Mark Stoops maybe Arky will do it.

Well the next coach will definitely get four years with all their buy outs. I understand what you're saying though. If they don't want to wait for success, they have to find someone who coaches a scheme that fits the younger class.

TheLostDawg
11-12-2019, 07:51 PM
The best thing O does is let his coordinators coach and do their thing.

Meanwhile we’re looking for an x and o’s genius to outsmart everyone and be a head coach at the same time.

That along with us somehow keeping him if he does break though our ceiling.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 08:09 PM
That along with us somehow keeping him if he does break though our ceiling.

You’re correct. And I think you’re going to see other SEC schools trying to find Orgeron types of coaches that can manage a team and hire x and I’d guys rather than try to find Nick Saban 2.0.

MaroonFlounder
11-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Isn't that essentially what Mullen did for 9 years?

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Isn't that essentially what Mullen did for 9 years?

Yes. It can work if you get the right guy. But the thing I like about a CEO coach is you have more flexibility. You don’t have to run Joe or Dan’s offense. You don’t have to run their defense either. You don’t have to worry about the head coach calling plays.

TheLostDawg
11-13-2019, 12:20 AM
Yes. It can work if you get the right guy. But the thing I like about a CEO coach is you have more flexibility. You don’t have to run Joe or Dan’s offense. You don’t have to run their defense either. You don’t have to worry about the head coach calling plays.

Right and that's why he hit a peak here. He also job searched every year which didn't help recruiting which he always under achieved. He also made a lot of costly mistakes along the way. He was a good coach but if he had Grantham earlier and someone to help Mullen more with his offense that could recruit, imagine what we would have had.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 02:25 AM
Right and that's why he hit a peak here. He also job searched every year which didn't help recruiting which he always under achieved. He also made a lot of costly mistakes along the way. He was a good coach but if he had Grantham earlier and someone to help Mullen more with his offense that could recruit, imagine what we would have had.

I agree. There several things that held Dan back.

1. Recruiting. We lost too many in state battles especially on the offensive side of the ball.

2. Job hunting at the end of the year starting in 2015. Tarnished his legacy somewhat. He wins the 2/3 Egg Bowls in 2014, 2015 and 2017 he moves ahead of Sherrill in my personal opinion.

3. Grantham being his Joe Lee Dunn. If he loses Grantham at Florida I think he could be in big trouble. His DC hires were inconsistent at best. And he didn't trust very many of them.

4. Ultra conservative play calling. Very rarely attacked deep against a similar opponent or better. Pretty much defaulted to the QB run if he didn't know what to do no matter the down and distance. We were never going to pull very many upsets with that mindset.

Dan was basically a what you see is what you get coach. Very rarely loses a game he shouldn't- but also very rarely upset anyone. He didn't seem very good in a close game situation either. I can't remember very many games that he won on the last drive. I definitely remember some frustrating final drives though. To be fair we did win most of our OT games but that's a little bit of a different situation than a win or go home final drive in regulation.

Apoplectic
11-13-2019, 02:56 AM
I agree. There several things that held Dan back.

1. Recruiting. We lost too many in state battles especially on the offensive side of the ball.

2. Job hunting at the end of the year starting in 2015. Tarnished his legacy somewhat. He wins the 2/3 Egg Bowls in 2014, 2015 and 2017 he moves ahead of Sherrill in my personal opinion.

3. Grantham being his Joe Lee Dunn. If he loses Grantham at Florida I think he could be in big trouble. His DC hires were inconsistent at best. And he didn't trust very many of them.

4. Ultra conservative play calling. Very rarely attacked deep against a similar opponent or better. Pretty much defaulted to the QB run if he didn't know what to do no matter the down and distance. We were never going to pull very many upsets with that mindset.

Dan was basically a what you see is what you get coach. Very rarely loses a game he shouldn't- but also very rarely upset anyone. He didn't seem very good in a close game situation either. I can't remember very many games that he won on the last drive. I definitely remember some frustrating final drives though. To be fair we did win most of our OT games but that's a little bit of a different situation than a win or go home final drive in regulation.

ive always argued he never had an upset when you looked back at the end of the season. he basically won most of the games he should have but never won one he shouldnt have

WPS
11-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Loved Pittman as an OL coach and recruiter but hiring a career position coach as an SEC HC would be odd. He apparently loved it here and has family in Oklahoma but couldn't stand working for Bielema.

You don't typically see OL coaches becoming OCs either but I would feel a lot more comfortable with that (if we get an offensive-minded head coach) even though he has never called plays.

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Loved Pittman as an OL coach and recruiter but hiring a career position coach as an SEC HC would be odd. He apparently loved it here and has family in Oklahoma but couldn't stand working for Bielema.

You don't typically see OL coaches becoming OCs either but I would feel a lot more comfortable with that (if we get an offensive-minded head coach) even though he has never called plays.

Even Orgeron was a DC and of course a head coach before he became LSU’s coach so I can understand where you are coming from.

MedDawg
11-14-2019, 10:09 AM
ive always argued he never had an upset when you looked back at the end of the season. he basically won most of the games he should have but never won one he shouldnt have

Mullen never beat a team that was ranked better than #18 at the end of the season.

Of course, just winning the ones we should looks pretty good right now.

Dawgfan77
11-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Even Orgeron was a DC and of course a head coach before he became LSU’s coach so I can understand where you are coming from.
O was DL coach at USC. Before gettin the OM job