PDA

View Full Version : If Leach goes to Ark

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Ark immediately becomes competitive. They may not win above .500 the first year but they definitely wont be the pushovers they've been the last few years. Year 2 I believe he fields a ranked Arkansas.

When we were looking for a coach after Mullen left I'd hoped we would've at least entertained bringing in Leach. Others on this board laughed it off. Tenn was gonna hire him then they fired the AD for it and look at Tenn now. I bet Tenn makes a run at the SEC east this year with Leach at the helm since Georgia apparently has issues and they aren't the team we all thought they'd be.

Just my take.

StarkVegasSteve
11-12-2019, 01:36 PM
That offense has already proven it doesn't work in the SEC. Also, his teams will give up 70 a game. If they hire him they will be in the exact same place in 3-4 years.

ckDOG
11-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Ark immediately becomes competitive. They may not win above .500 the first year but they definitely wont be the pushovers they've been the last few years. Year 2 I believe he fields a ranked Arkansas.

When we were looking for a coach after Mullen left I'd hoped we would've at least entertained bringing in Leach. Others on this board laughed it off. Tenn was gonna hire him then they fired the AD for it and look at Tenn now. I bet Tenn makes a run at the SEC east this year with Leach at the helm since Georgia apparently has issues and they aren't the team we all thought they'd be.

Just my take.

If he can recruit elite WRs and QB like Freeze did at OM, anything is possible. Anything less and he will have a job there for about as long as Morris did.

TrapGame
11-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Leach won't do crap at Arkansas. Petrino actually had some defense.

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Leach will get his recruits. He'll be at a venue that will allow him to do that. What he's done at Wash St is with 3 star and less recruits. He didn't have that much better recruiting at Tech. What he's shown he can do with 3 stars will obviously be amplified with higher rated recruits.

The whole "his offense won't work in the SEC" argument is old. The same people were saying the wildcat and spread wouldn't work in the SEC. Look at Bama and LSU now.

StarkVegasSteve
11-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Leach will get his recruits. He'll be at a venue that will allow him to do that. What he's done at Wash St is with 3 star and less recruits. He didn't have that much better recruiting at Tech. What he's shown he can do with 3 stars will obviously be amplified with higher rated recruits.

The whole "his offense won't work in the SEC" argument is old. The same people were saying the wildcat and spread wouldn't work in the SEC. Look at Bama and LSU now.

But if you can't defend anyone it doesn't matter if his offense is unstoppable, and his teams have proven that they can't defend anyone and he has no intentions of slowing down the offense to make his defense better.

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Yes that'll be something he'll need to shore up but it should be easier to bring in a competent DC to Ark.

Really Clark?
11-12-2019, 02:10 PM

I think what many allude to are the ones who are direct part of his coaching tree or run very similar system, not succeeding in the SEC trying to implement that system. Now would he be able to? That?s the question but there is evidence that his system ran by others in itself has hit walls in the SEC.

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 02:20 PM
I think what many allude to are the ones who are direct part of his coaching tree or run very similar system, not succeeding in the SEC trying to implement that system. Now would he be able to? That?s the question but there is evidence that his system ran by others in itself has hit walls in the SEC.

Who under his coaching tree has failed in the SEC? Honest question because I'm not sure. I know none from his tree have been head coaches in the SEC, but several of his assistants have been extremely successful as head coaches elsewhere (Briles, Dykes, Holgorsen, Riley) and if former players count he's had several go on to be very successful as well (Heupel, Neal Brown, Kingsbury).

Edit: Kingsbury was OC for A&M in '12 when they went 11-2 and beat #1 Bama in Tuscaloosa. Of course he had the privilege of coaching Johnny Football.

BulldogDX55
11-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Is there anything actually linking Leach to Arkansas outside of the fact he gets linked to every mid tier P5 opening?

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Is there anything actually linking Leach to Arkansas outside of the fact he gets linked to every mid tier P5 opening?

His name is mentioned in most articles mentioning potential candidates for the job. As with most things where there's smoke there's likely to be a fire. We know he wants to be back in the SEC since he wanted the Tenn job.

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Leach is 4-5 this year in the shitty PAC 12.. I get the love for the guy and he has won, but Wash St is in the worse Power 5 conference during his time there the last 8 years and 2 of those years Leach had 3 total wins

DeputyDawg94
11-12-2019, 03:21 PM
They would have to make him hire a good DC. He seems content to win 62-60 as opposed to play a defense.

Really Clark?
11-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Who under his coaching tree has failed in the SEC? Honest question because I'm not sure. I know none from his tree have been head coaches in the SEC, but several of his assistants have been extremely successful as head coaches elsewhere (Briles, Dykes, Holgorsen, Riley) and if former players count he's had several go on to be very successful as well (Heupel, Neal Brown, Kingsbury).

Edit: Kingsbury was OC for A&M in '12 when they went 11-2 and beat #1 Bama in Tuscaloosa. Of course he had the privilege of coaching Johnny Football.

Hal Mumme and Mike Leach at Kentucky, Sumlin besides Kingsbury was using a lot of the system as well, Guy Morriss (Hal Mumme), Tony Franklin (Leach & Mumme and the Auburn OC in the 3-2 game we lost under Croom...Fired that season in Oct), Neal Brown (played for Leach and was also a Franklin understudy) OC at Kentucky 2013-14, Jake Spavital studied under Holgorsen, Sumlin, and Dykes, Josh Huepel at Missouri 2016-17

Matt3467
11-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Leach is 4-5 this year in the shitty PAC 12.. I get the love for the guy and he has won, but Wash St is in the worse Power 5 conference during his time there the last 8 years and 2 of those years Leach had 3 total wins

I agree the Pac 12 recently hasn't been what it was when USC was winning championships or even when Chip Kelly was at Oregon, but the eight seasons prior to Leach Wash St had only won 29 games. The prior coaching staff in 4 years only won 9 games. Leach in eight years has 53 wins and the last five years has had Wash St ranked. Prior to Leach Wash St was considered one of the worst jobs in the nation and a coaching graveyard (similar to state before Mullen). I've seen posters on here that say a coach can't really be measured until a full recruiting cycle (4 years) and his 4th year is when they really started winning.

They're having a down year just like most programs not named Bama, LSU, GA, Clemson and of course Minshew leaving. If Leach stays they'll be back to form soon.

Jarius
11-12-2019, 03:35 PM
I think Leach will win big at Arkansas and also have some really down years. It will be a rollercoaster there for him, like it has been everywhere for him.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Leach is nothing special

Ari Gold
11-12-2019, 04:11 PM
I agree the Pac 12 recently hasn't been what it was when USC was winning championships or even when Chip Kelly was at Oregon, but the eight seasons prior to Leach Wash St had only won 29 games. The prior coaching staff in 4 years only won 9 games. Leach in eight years has 53 wins and the last five years has had Wash St ranked. Prior to Leach Wash St was considered one of the worst jobs in the nation and a coaching graveyard (similar to state before Mullen). I've seen posters on here that say a coach can't really be measured until a full recruiting cycle (4 years) and his 4th year is when they really started winning.

They're having a down year just like most programs not named Bama, LSU, GA, Clemson and of course Minshew leaving. If Leach stays they'll be back to form soon.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be a good hire for arky..
but I am not saying he has them winning 9 games plus every year.
He is a weird cat. He may not fit in there. He may not like the week in week out gauntlet the SEC west is
He isn’t a young guy anymore ..
He won’t win there with the roster and QBs they have now with what he runs
And he may not win in year 2 unless he gets his QB
He better hire a really good DC and recruit that side of the ball first
I’m not sure how good their young guys are but they have like 20 plus Seniors

Lots of Uncertainty in Arky..

WPS
11-12-2019, 04:20 PM
I?m not sure how good their young guys are but they have like 20 plus Seniors

Lots of Uncertainty in Arky..

Morris was so bad that youth shouldn't be an excuse, but Arkansas is really young. 2nd youngest defense in college football and the rest of the season we'll likely be starting this:

QB - Freshman
RB - Junior
WR - Freshman
WR - Freshman
WR - Sophomore
LT - Junior
LG - Senior
C - Junior
RG - Freshman
RT - Sophomore

Only one senior on offense. Rakeem Boyd could always declare for the draft early though. He's been a really good RB in an otherwise terrible season. Just hope none of those end up in the transfer portal.

MetEdDawg
11-12-2019, 04:29 PM
They need someone who can recruit regionally and draw people to Arkansas.

Mike Leach isn't drawing people to Arkansas. When you are in the shape Arkansas is in, you need someone who can sell what you have to offer. Mike Leach doesn't do that. He complains about kids going out with their fat little girlfriends.

TrapGame
11-12-2019, 04:40 PM
They need someone who can recruit regionally and draw people to Arkansas.

Mike Leach isn't drawing people to Arkansas. When you are in the shape Arkansas is in, you need someone who can sell what you have to offer. Mike Leach doesn't do that. He complains about kids going out with their fat little girlfriends.

Exactly. I just don't see Leach being successful at Arkansas at all.

PMDawg
11-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Leach is the most constantly overrated coach in CFB in my opinion. I love the guy, he's great entertainment and his offense is fun to watch at times. But he's never done enough to warrant a reputation as a great coach. He finished 11-2 once at TT, and once at WSU. Otherwise, he's had a lot of decent to good seasons. Could he get them to a 7-5 type team? Sure, but that's about it.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2019, 04:56 PM
But if you can't defend anyone it doesn't matter if his offense is unstoppable, and his teams have proven that they can't defend anyone and he has no intentions of slowing down the offense to make his defense better.

So give him a defensive coordinator Co-HC. Seems like an easy solution. Someone with years experience in the SEC, like Muschamp.

PMDawg
11-12-2019, 05:00 PM
So give him a defensive coordinator Co-HC. Seems like an easy solution. Someone with years experience in the SEC, like Muschamp.

I don't think that matters so much. There's a reason that most HUNH teams always seem to struggle so bad with defense. Sure, having your offense score tons of points on 2 minute drives is fun to watch, but your defense is always on the field. And the other team is always taking big shots to try to keep up with you. There's a reason all those high scoring teams struggle so bad in the big games. It's a little different now than it was 10 years ago, sure, but it's even bitten blue bloods like Oklahoma just in the past few years.

Bothrops
11-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Leach would turn Arkansas into a Pac 12 team in the SEC west, not a good recipe for success.

Turfdawg67
11-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Just my take.

Sounds like the ppl that said Jimbo would have A&M winning the West in year two. Lolz.

gravedigger
11-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Sounds like the ppl that said Jimbo would have A&M winning the West in year two. Lolz.

The pirate is interesting and runs a high powered offense. He sells out for it.

I don?t dislike him. But if you don?t have a defensive line in this conference, stay at home.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Why in the hell would Arky go after a coach that is 1-5 in a shitty ass conference this year??? It's time to stop the Mike Leach is a great coach mantra. He is not he is a gimmick and Arky can't afford to take any chances.

Jarius
11-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Why in the hell would Arky go after a coach that is 1-5 in a shitty ass conference this year??? It's time to stop the Mike Leach is a great coach mantra. He is not he is a gimmick and Arky can't afford to take any chances.

Mike Leach is coaching at one of the worst historical programs in the history of college football and has won 11,9,8, and 9 games prior to this year and never had a losing record at Texas Tech which was another perennial doormat prior to his arrival. He would be an above average coach at Arkansas that would throw in a shitty year every once in a while. He would do a good job.

ckDOG
11-13-2019, 10:22 AM
I love Leach, but I think he?s a ceiling 9 win coach in the SEC when the stars align but with a huge downside risk due to the concerns on defense already mentioned. He?d win press conferences but he could just as easily continue the Morris trend.

Randolph Dupree
11-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Arky is in bad shape, Mike Leach isn't taking that job. No successful coach is taking that job. Arky is going to either have to go retread or gamble big on a very young assistant type (like a Joe Brady). No legit up and coming coach is going to take their shot there. We need to pay attention to this coaching search because, depending how next year goes, we could be in the same boat in a few years.

Apoplectic
11-13-2019, 11:06 PM
I love Leach, but I think he?s a ceiling 9 win coach in the SEC when the stars align but with a huge downside risk due to the concerns on defense already mentioned. He?d win press conferences but he could just as easily continue the Morris trend.

hmmmm this sounds familiar

Todd4State
11-13-2019, 11:18 PM
I don't know why Leach would go there other than to get more money. He seems set in Pullman.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2019, 11:21 PM
I hope they get him. They will continue to be an easy win. Leach is my favorite candidate for all the SEC teams we play.

DogsofAnarchy
11-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Leach is the most constantly overrated coach in CFB in my opinion. I love the guy, he's great entertainment and his offense is fun to watch at times. But he's never done enough to warrant a reputation as a great coach. He finished 11-2 once at TT, and once at WSU. Otherwise, he's had a lot of decent to good seasons. Could he get them to a 7-5 type team? Sure, but that's about it.

So winning consistently at Texas Tech and Wash St equals being overrated?