PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember....

CadaverDawg
11-10-2019, 01:41 PM
I was thinking about how awesome it had to have felt yesterday (and last week) leading up to that Bama/LSU game for the fans of each school. Then I immediately thought about how it felt back when Dak was here and we were playing for #1 and the anticipation and excitement, versus where we are today with very little light at the end of what seems to be a long dark tunnel. Do you remember that? I miss it bad. I fear we may never see it again, so in one sense I feel lucky to have witnessed it....but in another I'm super bummed that we may have seen our peak as a program.

It's hard to go back to rooting for 6 wins when you've seen how the other half lives. When Croom was here I ignored records and scores and simply wanted to see the young guys or root for individual performances like Norwood and Boobie....but now after the Mullen years I just can't go back to that mindset. It's a shame Moorhead has already taken us to such a dark place.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 01:46 PM
I don’t think Moorhead is going to make it here, but if we go 6-6 it will basically be what Mullen did every other year. This idea that 6-6 is some sort of dark place for our program is revised history. We need to change coaches before we plummet further but we are nowhere near the bottom. We are simply in a Dan mullen style down year with a team and schedule that should have been an 8 win year. The right guy can get us heading in another direction rather quickly. We have talent.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I don’t think Moorhead is going to make it here, but if we go 6-6 it will basically be what Mullen did every other year. This idea that 6-6 is some sort of dark place for our program is revised history. We need to change coaches before we plummet further but we are nowhere near the bottom. We are simply in a Dan mullen style down year with a team and schedule that should have been an 8 win year. The right guy can get us heading in another direction rather quickly. We have talent.

Yeah but Dan’s 6 win type season were normally years that we were a 5-7 win team. Also, once the foundation was built built we went 10, 9, 6, 9, 8 wins the last 5 years. 8.4 wins a year the last five. That is called raising the floor

MedDawg
11-10-2019, 01:59 PM
I was thinking about how awesome it had to have felt yesterday (and last week) leading up to that Bama/LSU game for the fans of each school. Then I immediately thought about how it felt back when Dak was here and we were playing for #1 and the anticipation and excitement, versus where we are today with very little light at the end of what seems to be a long dark tunnel. Do you remember that? I miss it bad. I fear we may never see it again, so in one sense I feel lucky to have witnessed it....but in another I'm super bummed that we may have seen our peak as a program.

It's hard to go back to rooting for 6 wins when you've seen how the other half lives. When Croom was here I ignored records and scores and simply wanted to see the young guys or root for individual performances like Norwood and Boobie....but now after the Mullen years I just can't go back to that mindset. It's a shame Moorhead has already taken us to such a dark place.

After Dak, Mullen lost to South Alabama. You still had that mindset after that? 2016 wasn't a dark year? 2016 was much worse than 2018 with a much easier schedule in 2016.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Yeah but Dan’s 6 win type season were normally years that we were a 5-7 win team. Also, once the foundation was built built we went 10, 9, 6, 9, 8 wins the last 5 years. 8.4 wins a year the last five. That is called raising the floor

Yep, and Moorhead took over a built situation. Mullen did not.

Besides, whether one thinks 4-5 with a shot at 6 wins is okay or not, it doesn't change the fact that under Joe we do not feel the excitement of big games, bc we know we aren't winning any of them. Joe has killed our hope of competing with and/or defeating the best teams on our schedule. It's depressing. I miss getting pumped all week for a big game and awaiting hype videos, etc. Those days are gone, and even Moorhead defenders can't deny that.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 02:00 PM

If we have a losing record this year we will have finished under .500 for 2 of the past 4 seasons. I agree with what you are saying for the most part but my only point is that we aren’t far from being back to where we were with the correct leadership. We have to have a better head coach though.

msstate7
11-10-2019, 02:00 PM
After Dak, Mullen lost to South Alabama. You still had that mindset after that? 2016 wasn't a dark year? 2016 was much worse than 2018 with a much easier schedule in 2016.

You comparing the talent level in 2016 to 2018?

HoopsDawg
11-10-2019, 02:03 PM

most MSU fans know we are going to have a down year every now and then. What you hope, is that every 4-6 years we can make a big run. 2018 was our year and Moorhead lost 5 games.

dawgday166
11-10-2019, 02:03 PM
You comparing the talent level in 2016 to 2018?

Some of the same talent ... just 2 years younger. Sometimes people don't get that a Soph does not equal a Sr.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2019, 02:04 PM
If we have a losing record this year we will have finished under .500 for 2 of the past 4 seasons. I agree with what you are saying for the most part but my only point is that we aren’t far from being back to where we were with the correct leadership. We have to have a better head coach though.

In record we may not be, but in product it's night and day

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 02:05 PM

I hear ya but everyone knew and expect a difficult transition in 2016. We wanted to change to a 3-4, multiple defensive scheme which usually have issues, then Dan screwed up the DC hire. But that last half of the year you saw the offense finally buy into Fitz and the offense increased a good bit.

dawgday166
11-10-2019, 02:11 PM
I hear ya but everyone knew and expect a difficult transition in 2016. We wanted to change to a 3-4, multiple defensive scheme which usually have issues, then Dan screwed up the DC hire. But that last half of the year you saw the offense finally buy into Fitz and the offense increased a good bit.

I would kinda give Joe some growing pains too his first year but there was no excuse to score 7, 6, 3, and 0 pts in our 4 losses. If we had scored upper teens in those 4 games and lost, I might've attributed that to growing pains as opposed to pitiful coaching and game planning.

Maroonthirteen
11-10-2019, 02:22 PM
2014 was the last straw for me. The straw of acceptance.

All the big match ups over 35+ years..... 81, 91, 92, 94, 99, 2012, 2014..... all big games that State could have rose up as a program and beat Alabama. But we didn’t. ...and most teams don't beat Alabama. LSU had lost 8 in a row to Alabama

Without some huge changes to college football...
Alabama will always always always be damn good. LSU will always be a 7-11 win team. Mississippi State will always be a 5-9 win program. Just enjoy as much of it as you can and hope for an upset every now and then.

DeputyDawg94
11-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Looking ahead at next years schedule I have no confidence in winning NCstate, Tulane, Mizzou, or UK if coaching and player effort don’t change. If UPig gets a coach who fires their asses up then knows about that one. OM is another toss up. There’s 6 I could see joe pissing away right there, not to mention the Bama, AU, LSU and aTm games. I think we have the talent to go 8-4 but I don’t expect it because joe hasn’t proven he’s willing to make changes and stick with it. I miss the days of being able to look at the schedule and point out wins and possible loses. Now it seems like we point out loses and possible wins.

Coach34
11-10-2019, 02:52 PM
I don’t think Moorhead is going to make it here, but if we go 6-6 it will basically be what Mullen did every other year. This idea that 6-6 is some sort of dark place for our program is revised history.

2014- 10-3
2015- 9-4
2016- 6-7
2017- 9-4
2018- 8-5

Mullen built a program that was winning 8 or more per year with the temp rebuild year mixed in before he left

timotheus
11-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Oh next year will tell the tale for Joe, assuming he does beat Fat Luke in the egg bowl and take the team bowling. I think it's a stretch at believe that he can win more than 4-5 next year with a full roster and more returning experience. Waiting to see of he continues to lose games that he is favored in may only push the can down the road and make it worse than it is now.

CadaverDawg
11-10-2019, 03:07 PM
2014- 10-3
2015- 9-4
2016- 6-7
2017- 9-4
2018- 8-5

Mullen built a program that was winning 8 or more per year with the temp rebuild year mixed in before he left

Thank you. All these people throwing out the "Mullen had plenty of subpar years", and "6-6 is Mullen's every other year record", are simply full of shit and trying to put lipstick on the pig that is Joe Moorhead and our current program

Cooterpoot
11-10-2019, 03:09 PM
We’ve been trending downward since Dan made up his mind to leave after 2015.

dantheman4248
11-10-2019, 03:25 PM
4 OOC
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Kentucky

These are permanent should be wins on our schedule at this point. Only have to really worry about Florida / Georgia every 1 out of 3 years.

Regardless we should be a 8-team win every year with an excuse for only 7 every third year by simply taking care of our business. 6-6 means we lost a game we should win in a Florida / Georgia year.

msstate7
11-10-2019, 03:31 PM
4 OOC
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Kentucky

These are permanent should be wins on our schedule at this point. Only have to really worry about Florida / Georgia every 1 out of 3 years.

Regardless we should be a 8-team win every year with an excuse for only 7 every third year by simply taking care of our business. 6-6 means we lost a game we should win in a Florida / Georgia year.

OM should be a permanent win?!

2010s = 5-4 (state)
2000s = 6-4 (OM)
1990s = 6-4 (state)
Let's not visit anything earlier

What are you smoking?

Jarius
11-10-2019, 03:31 PM
2014- 10-3
2015- 9-4
2016- 6-7
2017- 9-4
2018- 8-5

Mullen went 6-6 or worse 4 times in 9 years. Yes he built it to where we expect more, but this idea that we should all go slit our wrists because we are going 6-6 is not based in reality. I’m all for making a change because it is clear we are going in the wrong direction, but let’s not act like we are in the Croom Era and have some huge rebuild job going forward.

Coursesuper
11-10-2019, 03:47 PM
I do remember, I remember standing there in the 4th quarter telling my wife that we would number 1 tomorrow, it was quite the feeling. And to be where we are now, knowing what gone on to keep us from sustaining that level of success is very disappointing for sure.

dantheman4248
11-10-2019, 04:03 PM
OM should be a permanent win?!

2010s = 5-4 (state)
2000s = 6-4 (OM)
1990s = 6-4 (state)
Let's not visit anything earlier

What are you smoking?

The trajectory that school is on after the penalties they had has set them back a lot. They have moved into being a bottom tier sec program and we should be better going forward for this and the first two years of their next coach going forward. It's a disappointment if we don't period. Hell it was a disappointment in 2012, 2014, and 2017 that we lost those games relative to our season performance.

Matt3467
11-10-2019, 04:03 PM
The difference between Moorhead and Mullen is that when Mullen took over the team you could see the improvement immediately. Even though we missed a bowl game the first year there was tons of optimism going forward. Beating the brakes off a ranked Ole Miss with Jevan Snead and McCluster coming to town was a nice way to end that year. The second year was amazing and really it was all growth from there. Yea we had a down year here and there but never missed a bowl and like other posters pointed out we were winning games. There was a different feeling going into games with Mullen vs Moorhead. We actually felt like we could win them. Now not so much.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Mullen went 6-6 or worse 4 times in 9 years. Yes he built it to where we expect more, but this idea that we should all go slit our wrists because we are going 6-6 is not based in reality. I?m all for making a change because it is clear we are going in the wrong direction, but let?s not act like we are in the Croom Era and have some huge rebuild job going forward.

It happened 3 times his first 5 years (you have to count his first year rebuilding and changing the culture) and it happened once his next 4 years and only once the last 5 years with what he left for 2018. Like I said he raised the floor. It wasn?t happening every other year after we raised the floor. You have to look at 4-5 year snap shots because it?s not a straight trajectory. Look at Bellotti at Oregon and they had an easier path than during the SEC west yell dominance. Especially Mullen?s first 4-5 years. That was some historically difficult division during the early years or else Mullen very well goes 8-10 wins earlier and more consistently.

ETA. Since win do we leave off bowl game wins? They count, they always count and every historian counts them for a coaches record. That’s kind of skewing and shrinking a record to make a point look better.

Matt3467
11-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Mullen went 6-6 or worse 4 times in 9 years. Yes he built it to where we expect more, but this idea that we should all go slit our wrists because we are going 6-6 is not based in reality. I’m all for making a change because it is clear we are going in the wrong direction, but let’s not act like we are in the Croom Era and have some huge rebuild job going forward.

Mullen won 6 or less games twice. His first year and 2016. Leaving the bowl game out to make a point doesn't work.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Mullen won 6 or less games twice. His first year and 2016. Leaving the bowl game out to make a point doesn't work.

Exactly

Jarius
11-10-2019, 04:42 PM
It happened 3 times his first 5 years (you have to count his first year rebuilding and changing the culture) and it happened once his next 4 years and only once the last 5 years with what he left for 2018. Like I said he raised the floor. It wasn?t happening every other year after we raised the floor. You have to look at 4-5 year snap shots because it?s not a straight trajectory. Look at Bellotti at Oregon and they had an easier path than during the SEC west yell dominance. Especially Mullen?s first 4-5 years. That was some historically difficult division during the early years or else Mullen very well goes 8-10 wins earlier and more consistently.

ETA. Since win do we leave off bowl game wins? They count, they always count and every historian counts them for a coaches record. That’s kind of skewing and shrinking a record to make a point look better.

It happened twice in his last 5 years. 2013 and 2016. I have no idea why people keep throwing 2018 into his history like he was the coach.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Beating an extra conference USA level team is absolutely pointless to talk about in regards to the trajectory of a program. Joe Moorhead still had a really shitty year this year if he goes 7-6 and beats up on a 2011 WF, 2013 Rice, or 2016 Miami Ohio. Mullen had 4 years just like the one we are having this year. 2 of them were in his last 5 years here.

dantheman4248
11-10-2019, 04:49 PM
It happened twice in his last 5 years. 2013 and 2016. I have no idea why people keep throwing 2018 into his history like he was the coach.

You really gotta stop with the 2013 slander. That was a 6-6 regular season with 6 top 20 teams (FROM THE FINAL POLL, not teams that were overrated at the start) on the schedule. We were competitive in those two.

Can you sit there and name, for certain, 40 programs that are better destinations as a job right now in college football? No? Not even 35? 30 is difficult? Well if we're a top-40 / top-35 program then a schedule that has 7-8 non top 40 programs on it should have 7-8 wins or it's a disappointment, no?

Jarius
11-10-2019, 04:55 PM
You really gotta stop with the 2013 slander. That was a 6-6 regular season with 6 top 20 teams (FROM THE FINAL POLL, not teams that were overrated at the start) on the schedule. We were competitive in those two.

Can you sit there and name, for certain, 40 programs that are better destinations as a job right now in college football? No? Not even 35? 30 is difficult? Well if we're a top-40 / top-35 program then a schedule that has 7-8 non top 40 programs on it should have 7-8 wins or it's a disappointment, no?

I have no idea what you are trying to say in this post. I hate our head coach and I want him fired. We are not far from being a good football program again with the right leadership and Dan Mullen had multiple shitty teams while he was here. Stop glorifying a guy that went 6-6 every other year on average at our school. Just because I would much rather have Mullen than Moorhead doesn’t mean that we should be acting like we are never going to get back to what Mullen did extremely soon with the correct hire. There are a lot of coaches that can win 7.5 games a year here. It is not 1987 and we can schedule our way into a bowl game virtually every year with just a semi competent head coach. We are currently lacking that.

Cooterpoot
11-10-2019, 05:03 PM
I don’t mind a 6-6 record in a rebuilding year. But we’re not in a rebuilding year. Last year wasn’t an 8 win year either. Two straight year underachieving. Dan had how many back to back bad years? That’s the difference.

Matt3467
11-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Beating an extra conference USA level team is absolutely pointless to talk about in regards to the trajectory of a program. Joe Moorhead still had a really shitty year this year if he goes 7-6 and beats up on a 2011 WF, 2013 Rice, or 2016 Miami Ohio. Mullen had 4 years just like the one we are having this year. 2 of them were in his last 5 years here.

You're really reaching to try and make a point. Mullen never fielded an incompetent offense and we always had a serviceable to good defense except for the dumpster DC hire in '16. You act like anyone can come here and win 7,8,9,10 games a year when in reality before Mullen that was a blue moon rarity at State. Mullen was doing it in the best conference in history at its peak.

Apparently you have an issue with Mullen that's clouded your judgment here. Mullen is the best coach MSU has had in its over 100 year history and it's not even close.

Mullen has never fielded a team as inept as this one or even close. His teams didn't come out and draw false start flags on the first play. We scored points and it was rare for us to not. In '08 we scored in the single digits five times with one of those a shutout to OM. In '09 it only happened once for us to score in the single digits and that was vs Bama. Also we were literally half a yard away from beating #7 Lsu and going to a bowl game in all 9 years which is unheard of at State. In 2010 we were a Vick Ballard fumble away from 10 wins. We aren't even competing this year.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 06:21 PM
You're really reaching to try and make a point. Mullen never fielded an incompetent offense and we always had a serviceable to good defense except for the dumpster DC hire in '16. You act like anyone can come here and win 7,8,9,10 games a year when in reality before Mullen that was a blue moon rarity at State. Mullen was doing it in the best conference in history at its peak.

Apparently you have an issue with Mullen that's clouded your judgment here. Mullen is the best coach MSU has had in its over 100 year history and it's not even close.

Mullen has never fielded a team as inept as this one or even close. His teams didn't come out and draw false start flags on the first play. We scored points and it was rare for us to not. In '08 we scored in the single digits five times with one of those a shutout to OM. In '09 it only happened once for us to score in the single digits and that was vs Bama. Also we were literally half a yard away from beating #7 Lsu and going to a bowl game in all 9 years which is unheard of at State. In 2010 we were a Vick Ballard fumble away from 10 wins. We aren't even competing this year.

Mullen was the first head coach at MSU to benefit from being completely better from a financial standpoint than all of the non conference teams that we play every year. He is a solid coach that gets glorified for going 6-6 half the time against 4 cupcakes, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. Moorhead sucking has made some of you think mullen is a lot more irreplaceable than he actually is. No, not everyone can win that many games here, but Mullen did not hit our program’s ceiling here. We can hire a coach like Moorhead that is worse or we can hire a coach that is on mullen’s level or we may hire someone better.

msstate7
11-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Mullen was the first head coach at MSU to benefit from being completely better from a financial standpoint than all of the non conference teams that we play every year. He is a solid coach that gets glorified for going 6-6 half the time against 4 cupcakes, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. Moorhead sucking has made some of you think mullen is a lot more irreplaceable than he actually is. No, not everyone can win that many games here, but Mullen did not hit our program’s ceiling here. We can hire a coach like Moorhead that is worse or we can hire a coach that is on mullen’s level or we may hire someone better.

You'd think after how much you doubled down on stupid about tenn and Pruitt all offseason, you would stop. Nope, you still talking a bunch of dumb stuff

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Good grief, if you want to split it like that you have to count the first 5 years, 3 times, and then count his last 4 years, it happened once. You are manipulating the history to fit your stance. You don’t count a shorter time split for the first part of his tenure. And yes you absolutely can figure in the team he left behind considering it was set and the incoming staff didn’t have to add rebuild. Nobody can argue that Mullen doesn’t win at least 8-10 games last season. So 1 time the last 5 years, 3 times the first 5 while laying the foundation against the most difficult division in college football history.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 07:04 PM
You'd think after how much you doubled down on stupid about tenn and Pruitt all offseason, you would stop. Nope, you still talking a bunch of dumb stuff

I hope you are having an outstanding day and I value your input as a poster on elitedawgs. Happy holidays fellow bulldog fan.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Good grief, if you want to split it like that you have to count the first 5 years, 3 times, and then count his last 4 years, it happened once. You are manipulating the history to fit your stance. You don’t count a shorter time split for the first part of his tenure. And yes you absolutely can figure in the team he left behind considering it was set and the incoming staff didn’t have to add rebuild. Nobody can argue that Mullen doesn’t win at least 8-10 games last season. So 1 time the last 5 years, 3 times the first 5 while laying the foundation against the most difficult division in college football history.

Dan Mullen had 4 extremely average seasons in his 9 years here. He had 5 above average seasons here. If we could hire him back today, I would. I do not have an agenda. You do. He is not as good as you want him to be. He is the ex girlfriend that looks better now because our new girlfriend turned out to be a drug riddled whore with an STD.

msstate7
11-10-2019, 07:10 PM
I hope you are having an outstanding day and I value your input as a poster on elitedawgs. Happy holidays fellow bulldog fan.

Nice response haha

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Dan Mullen had 4 extremely average seasons in his 9 years here. He had 5 above average seasons here. If we could hire him back today, I would. I do not have an agenda. You do. He is not as good as you want him to be. He is the ex girlfriend that looks better now because our new girlfriend turned out to be a drug riddled whore with an STD.

What agenda do I have? Just don’t skew the years. Nobody takes a coaches tenure and breaks it down first 4 years and then the next 5 to look at their coaching trajectory. It’s skewing the history to make a point. It’s factual but not how you break down a cycle. Just because the floor was raised so it was no longer happening every other year, like you stated, doesn’t mean you double down by shifting his tenure break down to make your point.

Honestly, when looking at completely new rebuilds for am entering coach, you should take the first year as a stand alone and then gauge them every 4 years after that. That gives you a full recruiting cycles to see if the floor and ceiling was being raised. That still doesn’t help your argument but that is still a better way to analyze a coaches trajectory.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 07:46 PM
What agenda do I have? Just don’t skew the years. Nobody takes a coaches tenure and breaks it down first 4 years and then the next 5 to look at their coaching trajectory. It’s skewing the history to make a point. It’s factual but not how you break down a cycle. Just because the floor was raised so it was no longer happening every other year, like you stated, doesn’t mean you double down by shifting his tenure break down to make your point.

Honestly, when looking at completely new rebuilds for am entering coach, you should take the first year as a stand alone and then gauge them every 4 years after that. That gives you a full recruiting cycles to see if the floor and ceiling was being raised. That still doesn’t help your argument but that is still a better way to analyze a coaches trajectory.

I was not the one that broke anything down into first four year increments or last 5 year increments. I do not know why you keep pinning that on me. Someone else posted his past 5 years and included a year when he was not even our coach and I corrected it and showed his true last 5 years here. Whatever. If you guys want to wallow in self pity wishing we could get Mullen back when he dumped our ass to go 9-3 and get fired in 2 or 3 more years at Florida, so be it. I think we can do just as well if we make just a pretty good hire. Hopefully we can both agree that we both hope I am right and not the people thinking Mullen is the only person that can ever win here at that level. That would be a sad state to live in and I don’t think it is true. Him being the best coach at State, while true, is like being the smallest kid at fat camp.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 07:50 PM
I was not the one that broke anything down into first four year increments or last 5 year increments. I do not know why you keep pinning that on me. Someone else posted his past 5 years and included a year when he was not even our coach and I corrected it and showed his true last 5 years here. Whatever. If you guys want to wallow in self pity wishing we could get Mullen back when he dumped our ass to go 9-3 and get fired in 2 or 3 more years at Florida, so be it. I think we can do just as well if we make just a pretty good hire. Hopefully we can both agree that we both hope I am right and not the people thinking Mullen is the only person that can ever win here at that level. That would be a sad state to live in and I don’t think it is true. Him being the best coach at State, while true, is like being the smallest kid at fat camp.

Yeah you better find where I said I want Mullen back. Heck I was really excited with Moorehead when we hired him and said as much. Was positive that it looked like a good hire if he fits our program.

Once Dan left, I was done but can still appreciate and recognize the floor of our program was raised.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 07:54 PM
I do recognize and appreciate that. I simply pointed out that I do not think that he is the only one that can do that here in the 2019 landscape of college football and do not think that 2014 is the last time we will experience really high highs as State football fans. The MSU job is and should be very attractive with plenty of talent on the roster when Joe gets fired next year.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 08:09 PM
I do recognize and appreciate that. I simply pointed out that I do not think that he is the only one that can do that here in the 2019 landscape of college football and do not think that 2014 is the last time we will experience really high highs as State football fans. The MSU job is and should be very attractive with plenty of talent on the roster when Joe gets fired next year.

I agree with that

OLJWales
11-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Cadever's facts and thoughts should resginate throughout our fandom. We can do better. We've seen it before, let's see it again.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-10-2019, 09:49 PM

We were also 3 plays away from being 3-9 in 2013. We went to OT with both Arkansas and Mississippi and escaped with a one point win against Bowling Green.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 10:26 PM
We were also 3 plays away from being 3-9 in 2013. We went to OT with both Arkansas and Mississippi and escaped with a one point win against Bowling Green.

We were also 1 min 45 seconds away from beating the SEC champs and #2 team in the country in Auburn at Auburn in Dak’s first SEC start as the back up...so that close to winning 8 games as well with a big upset win.

dantheman4248
11-11-2019, 01:21 AM
We were also 1 min 45 seconds away from beating the SEC champs and #2 team in the country in Auburn at Auburn in Dak’s first SEC start as the back up...so that close to winning 8 games as well with a big upset win.

This. Can't play the what-if game. Cause then I'll spin it around to What-if Dak doesn't have to deal with bullshit throughout that season. He was the better QB and should have been the starter since the 2012 bowl game. If he doesn't have to worry about his mom dying of cancer on him (rough for any kid). And if his shoulder doesn't get screwed up (directly causing a loss and two of those OT games).

I'd wager OSU goes different, Auburn turns into a win for us, LSU doesn't blow us out that greatly. BG, UK are bigger wins. SCar isn't a blowout loss. A&M probably turns into a one-score tossup instead of 10 point loss. Alabama turns into a win for us. (I fully believe a healthy Dak with no death of his mother leads us to victory this game. It was 3-0 for almost the entire first half (and we had a completely anemic offense. Only gave up a TD because the defense was tired and yeldon popped us for 50 right before the half. Worst case we move the ball better and go into half with a couple more FG attempts to make it a game.) Dak changes that.) And the two OT games with true freshman Damian Williams are bigger blowouts.

Viewing that season in that light and knowing how difficult of a schedule it was made it easy to predict a rise out of us that occurred in 2014. You could see the ingredients to something special. Call it 6-6, but that was the best 6-6 team in our history and i'd put that 6-6 up against anyone else's fully healthy.

Todd4State
11-11-2019, 02:44 AM
This. Can't play the what-if game. Cause then I'll spin it around to What-if Dak doesn't have to deal with bullshit throughout that season. He was the better QB and should have been the starter since the 2012 bowl game. If he doesn't have to worry about his mom dying of cancer on him (rough for any kid). And if his shoulder doesn't get screwed up (directly causing a loss and two of those OT games).

I'd wager OSU goes different, Auburn turns into a win for us, LSU doesn't blow us out that greatly. BG, UK are bigger wins. SCar isn't a blowout loss. A&M probably turns into a one-score tossup instead of 10 point loss. Alabama turns into a win for us. (I fully believe a healthy Dak with no death of his mother leads us to victory this game. It was 3-0 for almost the entire first half (and we had a completely anemic offense. Only gave up a TD because the defense was tired and yeldon popped us for 50 right before the half. Worst case we move the ball better and go into half with a couple more FG attempts to make it a game.) Dak changes that.) And the two OT games with true freshman Damian Williams are bigger blowouts.

Viewing that season in that light and knowing how difficult of a schedule it was made it easy to predict a rise out of us that occurred in 2014. You could see the ingredients to something special. Call it 6-6, but that was the best 6-6 team in our history and i'd put that 6-6 up against anyone else's fully healthy.

Dan not playing the appropriate player over upperclassmen is one of the biggest flaws he had while he was here. My personal favorite were the excuses about why Holloway was playing over Aeris which were different each week. Including that Holloway was a better blocker. LOL! The funny thing about it to was when Holloway went out with an injury all of a sudden Aeris is a watching film all week and suddenly becomes a football gym rat.

It's a MSU thing though- I don't believe for a minute that Shrader is hurt nearly as bad as he has been made out to be. Jackie did the same crap too- Dontae blocks better and knows the playbook better.

Gutter Cobreh
11-11-2019, 08:24 AM
2014- 10-3 Got the doors beat off us by Bama (Mullen kept the score close but we never had a chance), and lost to UM by 2 TDs
2015- 9-4 Losses to LSU, A&M, Bama, and UM
2016- 6-7 Lost to S. AL, BYU, and needed our kicker's GPA to help us go bowling
2017- 9-4 Got absolutely murdered by UGA & Auburn. Remember how we all felt like we had a chance at UGA after beating LSU? Also lost to UM
2018- 8-5 Complete shitshow against UK, LSU, and Bama

You had the most concise reply, so I'm simply replying to you to point out some things to others...

There seems to be some revisionist history going on within this thread. Yes, Mullen did some great things here. He also benefited from the SEC/ESPN deal and we starting increasing our spending. To say though, that outside of 2014 we really have ever had a chance to compete on the biggest stage is a farce. You can see from the information added above, we'd hit a wall. I'm not suggesting that Moorhead is the right fit, but to idolize Mullen and act like he was going to continue to push this program forward is simply not true. His lack of filling holes in recruiting was always going to keep us in the middle of the pack. You can't just look at W-L to determine how good the team actually was, simply because of the OOC games. We have been embarrassingly bad in our losses under Moorhead, but I don't think Mullen wins many more games than Moorhead has so far.

If you could find someone that recruits like Moorhead and coaches like Mullen, you may have a winner.

sonof34
11-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Sounds like more of a personal problem to me...did Dak and Don take is to where we?ve never been before...Yes one time...other than that he didn?t anything more spectacular than whats currently going on...and true MSU fans still get up and be excited for this team...others constantly complaint and post that a coach that got throttled 37-2 by a mediocre USM team will suddenly be our savior

msstate7
11-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Sounds like more of a personal problem to me...did Dak and Don take is to where we?ve never been before...Yes one time...other than that he didn?t anything more spectacular than whats currently going on...and true MSU fans still get up and be excited for this team...others constantly complaint and post that a coach that got throttled 37-2 by a mediocre USM team will suddenly be our savior

2014 was the only year better than this one? You should ban yourself

TrapGame
11-11-2019, 10:15 AM

That's gotta be the dumbest shit I've seen posted on this board. Good God.

Coursesuper
11-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Come Again? You can't be serious.

Really Clark?
11-11-2019, 11:47 AM

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/55/55cdb0a62bda510c388e84ed9c4573c9352c8d8caf27f94ecb 1fdfa0d7443dd1.jpg

Mobile Bay
11-11-2019, 12:44 PM

And we almost lost to Miami Ohio in a bowl game we got into on grades.

dantheman4248
11-11-2019, 12:49 PM
2014 was the only year better than this one? You should ban yourself

This guy started popping up when 007 was heavily spouting nonsense to make sure mullen slander was heard. Pretty sure it's an alt.

msstate7
11-11-2019, 01:04 PM
This guy started popping up when 007 was heavily spouting nonsense to make sure mullen slander was heard. Pretty sure it's an alt.

Could be